Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Mordja posted:

Lmao are all FF games just characters putting on terrible, obviously fake cartoon voices?

An interesting thing about the FFXV dub is that they did it in story order, and the actors started out imitating the tone and cadence of the Japanese actors, which resulted in this exaggerated portrayal, but over time they settled into the characters and became more naturalistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

Lmao are all FF games just...terrible...?

Yes.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

This'll get buried under DOOM posts, but for those of us chatting about Morels the other day, its gone on sale %50 off. I'm almost certainly gonna grab it up when its only :10bux: and I figured others would liek to know.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is the laziest port I think I've ever seen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ShootaBoy posted:

This'll get buried under DOOM posts, but for those of us chatting about Morels the other day, its gone on sale %50 off. I'm almost certainly gonna grab it up when its only :10bux: and I figured others would liek to know.

I just came in here to post that! Gonna snap it up now now now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1156590/Morels_The_Hunt/

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is the laziest port I think I've ever seen.

Boy have I got Koei games for you, they are.... amazing. Bring a controller, there are no keyboard bindings

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Boy have I got Koei games for you, they are.... amazing. Bring a controller, there are no keyboard bindings

Or how about the infamous Capcom PC port trilogy: Devil May Cry 3, Onimusha 3 and Resident Evil 4. You know, the old version of RE4 on PC, the one that had no graphic settings and featured no lighting effects.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oof, haven't tried those.

And like, some games need controllers, the control scheme just works better that way. Yakuza for example. But hot holy drat, some of these console->PC ports are just... I get that PC isn't a huge console in Japan, so to speak, but also christ. :rant:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Xander77 posted:

Can anyone who is into deep Doom lore explain why are all the demons fighting each other in Eternal? Also, it kinda seems like it's just a background sort of fight - can they actually kill each other if you don't interfere?

I haven't had a chance to dig into Eternal yet, but monster infighting was in the original Doom.

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_infighting

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yakuza 0 gave me a warning I should play it with a controller, but I still was amazed that they did nothing with the prompts in the karaoke mini-game. About halfway through my first song I figured out two of the buttons. The karaoke mascot in the top-right looked like it was having a stroke.

I've created a category on Steam for games I won't play until that new Xbox controller is released. It'll replace my wireless 360 controller, which I think died of old age.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 20, 2020

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Only tangentially related to DOOM: is there a good thing to use still for idling your games for card drops? I haven't payed any attention to cards really since they were worth some decent amount of nickels and dimes, beyond just selling a booster pack when I get it and occasionally making a badge (listen I needed that Katamari's King of All Cosmos background alright)

Augmented Steam is telling me I got enough drops to offset like half the cost of the new DOOM though. How do I most efficiently get these Steam bux pennies?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Steam Achievement Manager is still the ol' reliable.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Logan 5 posted:

Only tangentially related to DOOM: is there a good thing to use still for idling your games for card drops?

Use the Fast Mode in this: https://github.com/JonasNilson/idle_master_extended/releases

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you told me five years ago that iD, makers of fine accounting software RAGE, were not only going to redefine what I wanted from a single-player shooter experience, they were going to do it twice, I would not simply have called you an idiot. I would have pronounced you King Hellfucker Idiot Prime and sung your praises high and low.

And yet here we are.

Play DOOM Eternal.

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 20, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not ready to play either new Doom or Doom Eternal, but I cannot express how happy I am that they're both great games. Doom as a franchise deserves great games, it's just so wholesome and iconic.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I dunno if you guys have heard about this new "Doom Eternal" game but

it's pretty good

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

does doom eternal have environments other than "industrial" and "orange" because that turned me off of the first one

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

haldolium posted:

it's fine. Don't use Steam FPS counter though.

Doom Eternal has it's own fps counter which is a nice feature.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Awesome! posted:

does doom eternal have environments other than "industrial" and "orange" because that turned me off of the first one

in my experience it also has "ice" and "castle" if that does it for you

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Does it have a Swamp? This is a dealbreaker.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways Rain World is currently 4$. I know Audish didn't care for it, but it's still one of the best metroidvania/platformer/THINGS out there, as it nails atmosphere and feeling like you're an alien creature in an alien world.

Honestly it is my favorite platformer ever and I am old enough to have been at it since the Nintendo. To be fair it is primarily an exploration game in a world that has an enormous attention to detail.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

repiv posted:

The way Steam injects overlays over Vulkan games causes a nasty conflict in IdTech7 that stalls the GPU and ruins performance.

Some people are having their FPS cut in half just from having the Steam FPS counter on.

yeah, steam FPS apparently tries to serialize the info for its injection so it ruins the vulkan approach.

Wiltsghost posted:

Doom Eternal has it's own fps counter which is a nice feature.

Yes. It has a a lot of graphs and metrics for the CPU and rendertimes too which is pretty neat.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm actually surprised how much I was enjoying Doom Eternal last night. By the end of Doom 2016 I was more than the ready for it to be over and just pushed through to be completionist and Eternal didn't look different enough. However: it is actually really fun and so far I'm not feeling the repetitive monster arena vibe 2016 had by the end. The heavy cannon is so fun to use.

I do have two complaints. I have no idea wtf is with the purple crap that makes you walk slowly. It seems like such a weird choice to force you to slowly walk through some sections. The ambush tentacles aren't that interesting after it happens a dozen times.

I just hit a really annoying section with excessive plaforming. I thought the platforming was a clever way to do level exploration in 2016 but this section in Eternal was a lengthy series of required jumps to complete the level and if you screwed up you had to start over. We're talking disappearing platforms and jumps that needed full use of dash and double jump and the in-air jump reset item. Its just not fun and killed the pace. I like the crazy jumps I've had to do for secrets but I hope this doesn't become common on the critical path.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope that's true about doom eternal abandoning the "straight line->closed arena->straight line->closed arena" level design because that was the back half of 2016 and it sucked

mostly though i am more into games with actual doom-style level design, where it's small but dense with keycards and backtracking. which is why i liked project warlock. so i'll probably look into Amid Evil and Dusk soon. (while avoiding Ion Fury)

a modern run & gun FPS with OG doom style level design would be sick as hell

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Morels: I love this game a lot it's so chill and perfect for podcasts. Also while it loads you can play pong with squirrels. Also I found and photographed a frog!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Logan 5 posted:

Augmented Steam is telling me I got enough drops to offset like half the cost of the new DOOM though. How do I most efficiently get these Steam bux pennies?

Where do you find this info? I have augmented steam but dont see anything like this.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Scalding Coffee posted:

Steam Achievement Manager is still the ol' reliable.

Awesome, thanks. On my way to rippin' and tearin' again :cheers:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Network42 posted:

Where do you find this info? I have augmented steam but dont see anything like this.

It should be on the upper right hand corner of your Badges page. You might need to hit "Click here to calculate drops remaining" (also provided Aug steam isnt overloaded at the moment)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you’re using one that multi-idles, go to invisible mode before you start it or you will get annoyed and confused messages when you suddenly take up half the screen of everyone on your friends list.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Why does his helmet look like it has lips? That's so loving weird.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It... doesn't look like that??

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i can see it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you're replaying a Doom Eternal campaign mission to 100% it, can you quit once you've collected everything you missed or do you have to play it all the way through again?

e: not only have I posted in the wrong thread but I asked a question that's literally answered right there in the game, maybe it's time for a break

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 21, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Should get your lips looked at.

Also it is extremely weird that there is now effectively a DOOM Expanded Universe. Like, it's from the creators but it's still some wild poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Morels: I love this game a lot it's so chill and perfect for podcasts. Also while it loads you can play pong with squirrels. Also I found and photographed a frog!

:kimchi: I'm so glad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/The_Doddler/status/1241151221710245888

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

My 8BitDo M30 showed up today and now I can hit diagonals in Celeste. Yay!

I also got new glasses and can now actually see, though nothing in my world has a right angle any more.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah I'm a little :shrug: at all this elaboration of the Doom universe but at least you can skip these cutscenes unlike the half life style ones of 2016.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Awesome! posted:

i can see it

doomface

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you’re using one that multi-idles, go to invisible mode before you start it or you will get annoyed and confused messages when you suddenly take up half the screen of everyone on your friends list.

No worries, I'm not monster. I actually use the offline function and invisible mode pretty often anyway.

That being said, do people really not turn that setting off? Or not know how to? I mean I love ya goons but like 98% of my "friends" list is just online incidental interactions, I don't need to know every time someone opens up their anime boob dating sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah i turned off gameplay and people coming online notifications very quickly