Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

I'm a little surprised that more people haven't been successful with CG, I'd have thought that there were enough of them to support at least a handful of creators.

CHUDs tend to have problems holding down steady work, not a lot of disposable income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They will also turn on each other at the drop of a red hat

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
None of these people know how to run a business and they're all more interested in running their own grifts than in collaborating each other, so you have a bunch of completely inept little rackets instead of a press with any legs or momentum. There's no infrastructure-- look at how much difficulty many of the ComicsGate people have had actually publishing, distributing, or even finishing their projects. That's going to keep it fragmented and small-scale.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
They all suck at business. We know this because they were Dunning-Kruger stupid enough to try and build a livelihood on top of their belief that there's this huge market for "non-SJW" comics out there just waiting to hand their money over to creators who make a point about not being "woke".

No surprise that someone dumb enough to start with that belief would also suck at every other aspect of running a self-publishing comic concern (printing, shipping, customer service, even penciling and inking 24 pages).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I do enjoy the CG fanbase who have convinced themselves that the garbage tier artwork they churn out is leagues better than anyone employed by DC or Marvel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I do enjoy the CG fanbase who have convinced themselves that the garbage tier artwork they churn out is leagues better than anyone employed by DC or Marvel.

How anybody can tell themselves that Dickie's sub-standard bad webcomic art on his books is good is beyond me. I mean, I get why they don't, but still.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Retro Futurist posted:

They will also turn on each other at the drop of a red hat

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1240052068771082243?s=20

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Follow up to that:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1240052597043625986

It's weird that the artist screwed her over, yet she's still protecting them by blacking out the name. I thought CG loved Doxxing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol rekt

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Maybe she thought she could do it with the Marvel Method.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Official comicsgate people."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1240078633022238724

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Anora posted:

Follow up to that:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1240052597043625986

It's weird that the artist screwed her over, yet she's still protecting them by blacking out the name. I thought CG loved Doxxing.

I love how this is how, I think, EVERY 'well gently caress you sjw soycuck femtards we'll make our OWN comic' project has gone and they still keep doing it. Surely THIS dive into a snake pit will be bite free!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Major Grubert is a Moebius character, not a Marvel character, though Marvel did reprint some of Airtight Garage back in the late 80s/early 90s.

They can't even get that part right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

What's a groyper?

@anora - if there's a legal action going on she's probably been advised not to publish the name. Court of public opinion and all that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedit posted:

What's a groyper?

Alt-right fuckwit.

It started as the name for a frog they used as a replacement for Pepe.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jedit posted:

What's a groyper?

@anora - if there's a legal action going on she's probably been advised not to publish the name. Court of public opinion and all that.

Usually in a court case the names of those involved, unless one party is a minor, are the things that are known and the details are not. This is sort of the opposite.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

What's a groyper?

Groypers are a new-ish offshoot of the alt-right who think the Charlie Kirk/TPUSA contingent is too soft and uhhh too Jewish. They're more openly racist and nationalist with fewer dog whistles and more slurs. They are not very cool.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/TinseltownMayor/status/1240789681584906240

The above refers to the 'minted coins' EVS had made for Froghoney Cyberblood. I hadn't heard that, but I am not shocked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, gimmick coins are not hard to budget for. Even lovely ones would be better than a piece of paper.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What did the coins themselves even look like if Cyberfrog was just on a piece of paper inside the case?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hope they were just blank slugs you can get rolls of for pocket change

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lo fuckin' L

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Gluestick + scissors + $150 inkjet printer + roll of quarters = Fabulous LIMITED EDITION Collector Coins L(.)(.)K!!!!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FMguru posted:

Gluestick + scissors + $150 inkjet printer + roll of quarters = Fabulous LIMITED EDITION Collector Coins L(.)(.)K!!!!

Those are half dollars, they're worth literally twice as much.

Edit: also you can buy custom poker chips with a different image on each side for a buck a pop if you order 100, that's the smallest order the first google result had, larger orders are cheaper per poker chip and while I was looking at the site a chat bot popped up offering me 25% off my first order, that might be a coronavirus thing since I imagine novelty items designed mostly for large parties are taking a hit in the sales department, but i feel like someone launching a fundraiser might spend more time than I did looking for a better deal and find one. I literally spent more time typing this paragraph than it took me to find that deal.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 20, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Holy poo poo. Wholly poo poo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can practically feel the oversaturated inks leaking off of the coin.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The Art Process Official Term: Colorization Infused Legal Tender Coins - Colorizing coins involves the application of special inks directly to the surface of a coin using a unique multi-color printing process. The result is an everlasting colorized coin collectible of ultra-high quality. We are using America’s largest manufacturer and the creators of both colorized U.S. coins. This colorizing process achieves a level of detail, color saturation, and durability that is #1 in the industry.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a couple decent looking coins from lovely loot crates and for that price he just cut out a picture and stuffed it and the coin in a plastic case. And they'll still defend him to the death over this poo poo and sign on for the next one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I have a couple decent looking coins from lovely loot crates and for that price he just cut out a picture and stuffed it and the coin in a plastic case. And they'll still defend him to the death over this poo poo and sign on for the next one.

If this hadn't all started with him being a racist, sexist rear end in a top hat I'd have a huge amount of respect for the grift.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Who the hell came up with this?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

JordanKai posted:

I can practically feel the oversaturated inks leaking off of the coin.

I was gonna mention how awful is that printing. The black in all the CMYK channels,hohoholyshit It's just... BAD.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Samovar posted:

"This group of all-new characters were created by Emmy-nominated writer Daniel Kibblesmith (The Late Show With Stephen Colbert) and rising superstar artist Luciano Vecchio (IRONHEART)."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
we should also include whoever the ditors end up being because the writers and artists share a healthy amount of blame but the editors hold all the cards and always the ones who have to sign off on this

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Samovar posted:

I scrolled down to fast and thought B-negative was going pantsless by the back shot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yannick_B posted:

"This group of all-new characters were created by Emmy-nominated writer Daniel Kibblesmith (The Late Show With Stephen Colbert) and rising superstar artist Luciano Vecchio (IRONHEART)."

Huh.

Guess parody was dead well before 2016.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At first I thought it was a parody. Maybe social isolation at Marvel has made them lose their mind.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Yannick_B posted:

Daniel Kibblesmith was also a founder of Clickhole which makes it even weirder.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Numero6 posted:

Daniel Kibblesmith was also a founder of Clickhole which makes it even weirder.

I mean it looks like it could be cringy, or maybe it'll just be fine? His comics are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Between first seeing this, making a yuck face, and now, I've gone ahead and read his Loki, which is actually really good. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt because the Kibblesmith who wrote Loki struck me as sharp, funny, humane, and fairly with-it. For real, if you haven't checked out his Loki, it's delightful, and it bought him a lot of good will from me.

But really no matter what this is bad marketing, and whatever clever twist or subversion he may or may not have up his sleeve is getting buried in a prevailing tone of out-of-touch cluelessness.