Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They’re also the go-to modern cop bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Quit acting like y’all wouldn’t ride this MST3K stunt double

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

I had always heard the polar opposite about the at/pan. Even from people who had them in other countries. I've heard nothing except them being angelic bikes that the owners have more than one of. They show me pictures of their special edition or whatever.

This is the first time I hear anything bad about them but maybe it's a cult bike that you love or hate.

If that custom St had upright bars and maybe a little less nonsense going on, id happily ride it.

Admittedly I've only rode one for about 10 minutes, but I can certainly see the appeal (even if it is the exact opposite of what appeals to me) - they're *extremely* turn-of-the-century Honda, in that they have every single rough edge removed from them and are, once you're up to speed, effectively undetectable to the rider. Even stuff that you think is going to be distracting and weird like the mirror position (below the bar so you're looking between your arm and knee) feels natural and actually makes sense because you're not looking past your shoulder.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whaaaaaaaat is this Honda? I spotted it unceremoniously parked in someone’s lawn and had to take a pic. It appears to be a longitudinal V4? Like a CX500 except more modern and a 4-cylinder?

I cannot for the life of me think of what this is

I have a similar question. Does anyone know which bike this is?

I feel like it's some sort of Honda homologation race bike from the late 80s/early 90s, but I don't know if that's just because it's 2 stroke and red.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

I have a similar question. Does anyone know which bike this is?

I feel like it's some sort of Honda homologation race bike from the late 80s/early 90s, but I don't know if that's just because it's 2 stroke and red.

They didn't homologate strokers (homologation is a WSB/WSS thing, 2-strokes were MotoGP), but they did just release road-going versions of the race bikes. That swingarm definitely looks more like a Suzuki RGV250 than the Honda NSR, but you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart without a closer look.

mewse
May 2, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They didn't homologate strokers (homologation is a WSB/WSS thing, 2-strokes were MotoGP), but they did just release road-going versions of the race bikes. That swingarm definitely looks more like a Suzuki RGV250 than the Honda NSR, but you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart without a closer look.

I got suzuki vibes from it too because of the headlight shape and chonky tail

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m guessing thats an RGV?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes! That is it. Is that a NACA duct for the air intake or just some vent for cooling (clutch)? Looks like the exhaust was rerouted for some reason.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Yes! That is it. Is that a NACA duct for the air intake or just some vent for cooling (clutch)? Looks like the exhaust was rerouted for some reason.

I'd guess the air intake would be higher up, especially as it's a v-twin, but the 90s was peak "let's just put another duct in the fairing" time so who knows?

Incidentally, what *is* that little nipple and straw between the tank and the steering head(?) you often see on 80/90s bikes? Fuel tank breather?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know nothing about exhausts. What is it about 2 stroke engines that leads them to have such tiny cans vs big chonk cans on 4 stroke bikes?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

1) most 2-stroke engines are really tiny (that Suzuki is a 4-cylinder 250, so each pipe is basically scavenging a moped engine)
2) most of the 2-strokes you'll see are racing bikes, where noise is not a priority
3) even street-legal 2-strokes are from an era before modern highly restrictive noise regulations.

Here's a Kawasaki 750 triple 2-stroke, which has pipes about the size you'd expect for a 750 4t from the same era.

e: I wonder if the expansion chamber (the bulgy thing visible on the Suzuki) also has some muffling effects, allowing the use of a smaller muffler downstream?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 21, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Admittedly I've only rode one for about 10 minutes, but I can certainly see the appeal (even if it is the exact opposite of what appeals to me) - they're *extremely* turn-of-the-century Honda, in that they have every single rough edge removed from them and are, once you're up to speed, effectively undetectable to the rider. Even stuff that you think is going to be distracting and weird like the mirror position (below the bar so you're looking between your arm and knee) feels natural and actually makes sense because you're not looking past your shoulder.

They are the old man BMW for old men who don't want a BMW. Hopelessly mediocre. It's more the laughable 'sport touring' designation that really irks me.

Sagebrush posted:

e: I wonder if the expansion chamber (the bulgy thing visible on the Suzuki) also has some muffling effects, allowing the use of a smaller muffler downstream?

It's this. Pre-expansion strokers have pretty chunky mufflers, my mb100's exhaust weighs like 10kg. Most of the energy is gone by the time it gets to the stinger afaik so there's just a whiny fart noise to muffle.

For more anecdotal data: my kx250, a typical 2t dirt bike with a big fatty on it, is loud and screechy as gently caress. My mate's air cooled, chamber-less cr500 has a muffler ten times as massive and it makes an angry low pitched drone sound.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 21, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ah, it's time for the GIF

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A friend of mine has a new Pan European that her ex cop dad gave to her. She's going to let me ride it when we have a good chance. Big bikes don't scare me, but this'll be my first experience of a hydraulic clutch and not being able to feel a bike through my left hand does scare me.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone have experience with buffing away paint imperfections?

FJR has some fairly minor scratches (I think from parking overnight in London) and the rest of it is looking a little tired from being 15 y-o. I was planning to start at around 5k grit and work up to a paste.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Azza Bamboo posted:

A friend of mine has a new Pan European that her ex cop dad gave to her. She's going to let me ride it when we have a good chance. Big bikes don't scare me, but this'll be my first experience of a hydraulic clutch and not being able to feel a bike through my left hand does scare me.

You can still feel it. It’s more like a car clutch where there is a notch or hump you sort of get over where the clutch engages.

It’s not just a totally smooth linear pull that feels the same all the way through.

My bandit 1200 and Goldwing are/were both this way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

Anyone have experience with buffing away paint imperfections?

FJR has some fairly minor scratches (I think from parking overnight in London) and the rest of it is looking a little tired from being 15 y-o. I was planning to start at around 5k grit and work up to a paste.

I'd start with just something like T-Cut to see if that's enough - polishing out bikes with all their weird little nooks and crannies becomes not-fun really quickly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

The condition of the clutch and slave are the biggest factor. I've noticed people tend to get used to lovely/failing slave cylinders and don't realise the clutch being a binary switch is abnormal. You still get heaps of feedback if everything works properly.

Ola posted:

Incredible gif.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Ola posted:

2 strokes are so barbaric. This is a really helpful visual

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day
A friend of mine has a 2012 Honda 1300cc VTX. Should he use premium gas or does the octane matter?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Use what it says in the owner's manual, not higher or lower.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There is a company called Eastern Beaver run by an American in Japan who specializes in that stuff.

:canada:

I sold my old bike to him, really nice guy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I’ve been looking for another good gif I saw recently that really drives home how all the fuel, oil, and air inside the engine is all mixed up everywhere and the whole thing is just in a constant state of explosion.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

:canada:

I sold my old bike to him, really nice guy.

Small drat world. I haven’t had cause to order anything from him yet but when I do have some wiring projects it’ll be the first place I shop. It’s such a niche yet well done business.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd start with just something like T-Cut to see if that's enough - polishing out bikes with all their weird little nooks and crannies becomes not-fun really quickly.

I'll do that; the scratches are fairly shallow.

I'll need a touch up pen for where the utterly dogshit Givi rack system took the rack paint down to the primer coat.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

how dare you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it doesn’t require high octane don’t use it. Waste of money.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If it doesn’t require high octane don’t use it. Waste of money.

If compression is low enough it can even be counter productive; I've 'fixed' so many older Harleys by telling people to run regular.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know way too many people who run premium because it’s “better”. I used to work with a guy who would run a tank of premium every few months to “clean things out”.

The mythological powers of premium fuel are unbelievable.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Everyone says to run 87 in my Honda 919 and I haven’t had any knocking so :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

While we're on the topic, I understand in the US everything is cut with ethanol? We have three different RON ratings kicking around (91, 95, 98), plus one chain that sells a 98-equivalent e10 that seems to devastate carbs and plastic tanks. I tell people to outright avoid it, I can't be certain but I'm sure it makes float gaskets and poo poo like that swell up like a mofo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The mythological powers of premium fuel are unbelievable.

TBF if you read the ads at a gas station they literally all say that their premium fuel Cleans Your Engine and Gives Maximum Power and all that poo poo. If you don't know anything about engines you can probably be swayed by that because why would the gas station lie in its advertising? Isn't that illegal?

Slavvy posted:

While we're on the topic, I understand in the US everything is cut with ethanol?

A number of states require their fuel to be ethanol-blended, and any general purpose motor fuel can be up to E10 without labeling it as such, so for logistical reasons basically all gas in the USA is an ethanol blend, yes. E15 is relatively common and you can get E85 in the midwest.

Your options for non-ethanol gasoline are
- racing fuel,
- avgas (lol), or
- boat gas at the occasional marina if you get lucky.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Some rare rural American gas stations will advertise special ethanol-free 87 octane but I've only ever seen like three of those nationwide.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

91 octane Shell V-Power NiTr0+++ XXXtreme MAXIMUM <<ULTIMATE>> K-K-Kombo!!!!
is ethanol free up here in Canada, but it doesn't look like it is down in the US.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah I put the Shell ethanol-free stuff as my last full tank before winter storage, otherwise the manual says regular 87.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

TBF if you read the ads at a gas station they literally all say that their premium fuel Cleans Your Engine and Gives Maximum Power and all that poo poo. If you don't know anything about engines you can probably be swayed by that because why would the gas station lie in its advertising? Isn't that illegal?

Could they point at some tortured logic along the lines of - if the engine has an anti-knock sensor - it can run much leaner and hence hotter and decarbonise parts that way? Or maybe something even more tenuous like if you run an engine that requires high octane on low octane fuel you have to detune it so much that it ends up completely sooted out?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At least here, the vast majority of ordinary passenger cars are designed to be optimal on 95ron, but are sold to people as being able to run 91, which they do fine, but with retarded ignition timing and a corresponding reduction in power and efficiency. Running premium will absolutely give you better fuel mileage on 95% of modern cars, but it may not equate to a dollar saving. And yes, they all say to run 95 in the manual, usually with a disclaimer that 91 is ok in a pinch but not correct.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

91 octane Shell V-Power NiTr0+++ XXXtreme MAXIMUM <<ULTIMATE>> K-K-Kombo!!!!
is ethanol free up here in Canada, but it doesn't look like it is down in the US.

Yeah that's what I've been putting in my motorcycle, shell premium because it's non-ethanol

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Slavvy posted:

While we're on the topic, I understand in the US everything is cut with ethanol? We have three different RON ratings kicking around (91, 95, 98), plus one chain that sells a 98-equivalent e10 that seems to devastate carbs and plastic tanks. I tell people to outright avoid it, I can't be certain but I'm sure it makes float gaskets and poo poo like that swell up like a mofo.

Yeah almost every gas station in the us has gasoline with up to 10% ethanol but there are some still around that keep a pump of ethanol free. It's usually more expensive.

There's a website called puregas that you can look up ethanol free gasoline sources (maybe only in the us). I use it for my dirt bike and all my other small engines (mower, trimmer, chainsaw et).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Buying gas with too high of an octane rating for your engine just because it’s ethanol free is pretty pointless. Any money you save on replacing a couple rubber bits in your carbs or tanks occasionally is lost in the extra cost of the high octane, which benefits you in no way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Buying gas with too high of an octane rating for your engine just because it’s ethanol free is pretty pointless. Any money you save on replacing a couple rubber bits in your carbs or tanks occasionally is lost in the extra cost of the high octane, which benefits you in no way.

Just doing some napkin math to see how true that is and because it's helping me get to sleep.
Prices are in Canadian dollars/cents. Example bike, 2003 multistrada, known to be prone to tank warpage due to ethanol. Say 10c/l difference between 87 and 91 octane. 20l tank, so $2 per tank. Used (hopefully not warped) tank on ebay, call it $200. So, 100 tanks of gas to pay for a new tank. 2000l of fuel. Bike gets 4.5l/100km, so you'd be able to pay for a new tank every ~44000km of riding, not including labour. That's every 3-4 years or so if it was a Honda, so the numbers pretty much break even, but it's more like every 10 years because it's a Ducati, so put 91 zero ethanol in it. Manual calls for minimum 89 (95RON) anyway.