Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

You can do that anyway though. Some types of online DRM prevent it, but it's not a necessary part of digital distribution. Steam lets you play your already installed games without an internet connection, for example.

Assuming you logged in recently, if you haven't logged in recently enough it complains. At least it used to do that, maybe it's better now :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Apparently I had exactly the right amount of wine last night

Only registered members can see post attachments!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

People who actually play games instead of just buying them (i.e. sane people as opposed to hoarders) buy them on disc.

Finally somebody willing to call out all the FAKE GAMERS out there

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
im gay and pray for the death of capitalists

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Screaming Idiot posted:

I see where they're coming from. I'm always seeing people post about their backlog of unplayed Steam games, yet when people buy a game on disc they generally play it. I got several games I purchased on PSN but haven't played, yet I've played every physical-media game I get.

I'm the opposite. I tend to get more use out of my PSN games than the ones on physical disk. Because I can just click and play, no looking for the game boxes and manually swapping out discs.

thicc_waluigi
Jan 5, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/TwinklingTania/status/1240827417087770624

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

this owns cause feinstein sold a bucnh of stuff that went up a shitload

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Platystemon posted:

It was legal for the longest time.

It isn’t now, but LOL to anyone who thinks that means anything.

no, its legal again, they repealed the law after they started to lose money because they couldnt sell quickly enough

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I've bought more poo poo games from a pawn shop for a buck that I've never played than I have with stuff on steam but some of us are just old fashioned like that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sir Tonk posted:

yeah the double whammy of "insider trading" and "guessed really poorly" makes me lol

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sir Tonk posted:

Specifically, she sold stock in a medical supply company. Lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just got invited to the first super fun time company team-building work from home happy hour, where we're all supposed to get on a conference call with a beer or something after work's over and pretend to like each other. I'm so glad we're finding ways to keep up employee morale in these trying times :patriot:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Did this one get posted yet

https://twitter.com/trumwill/status/1240773289758330880

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
JLo showing how her family is coping being unable to attend their favorite restaurants.
Her home and current situation is very reminiscent of the movie Parasite, right down to enjoying themselves while people are losing their homes and jobs from a disaster.

https://twitter.com/JLo/status/1240340090372661248

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Shame Boy posted:

Just got invited to the first super fun time company team-building work from home happy hour, where we're all supposed to get on a conference call with a beer or something after work's over and pretend to like each other. I'm so glad we're finding ways to keep up employee morale in these trying times :patriot:

The bonding rituals will must continue until society improves.

I guess your boss has already been drinking and now needs to still feel in control of something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Shame Boy posted:

I would, without hyperbole, rather die than do this

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

A ton of people at work are doing this. My team's bonding is relentlessly making GBS threads on everyone doing this.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Marenghi posted:

JLo showing how her family is coping being unable to attend their favorite restaurants.
Her home and current situation is very reminiscent of the movie Parasite, right down to enjoying themselves while people are losing their homes and jobs from a disaster.

https://twitter.com/JLo/status/1240340090372661248

Man, am I loving the replies. The Mood.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Danaru posted:

I would, without hyperbole, rather die than do this

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Marenghi posted:

Her home and current situation is very reminiscent of the movie Parasite

It really does look like she rented the actual set to shoot this :bernpop:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A second ago I got an emergency alert system priority broadcast on my phone which just said "Social distancing keeps us all safe."

It doesn't super fit in this thread but it just struck me how creepy and dystopic it is that my personal surveillance capitalism machine let out a terrifying noise and interrupted what I was doing to inform me of the important emergency message "fear your neighbors and friends, you and your family's safety depends on it" :toot:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

A second ago I got an emergency alert system priority broadcast on my phone which just said "Social distancing keeps us all safe."

It doesn't super fit in this thread but it just struck me how creepy and dystopic it is that my personal surveillance capitalism machine let out a terrifying noise and interrupted what I was doing to inform me of the important emergency message "fear your neighbors and friends, you and your family's safety depends on it" :toot:

We have a cyberpunk dystopia thread it's perfect for.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1241036787151024128
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJ1RHUnX9s

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The only way I can see this take going is “the visceral impulses are masked by the inhuman insidiousness of the markets themselves”

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/haymarketbooks/status/1240775108991619072?s=19

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Reminds me of the police drones that Spain have been deploying that remind people to go back inside.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Today was my first day fully working from home and I realized if we survive this thing there’s going to be a whole bunch of dumb middle managers who will no longer be able to come up with a bullshit excuse when one of their employees under 40 asks about remote work.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A friend of mine is livid because she quit her job at the end of last year after being told she couldn't do flexible hours or WFH one day a week, and she now sees all her old colleagues working from home.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When people no longer need to isolate and some want to keep working from home, bosses will insist they come in using the downturn caused by the recession as proof that WFH is less efficient

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chic Hamptons food stores ransacked by the wealthy amid coronavirus pandemic
https://nypost.com/2020/03/18/chic-hamptons-food-stores-ransacked-by-the-wealthy-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/

quote:

“I had one customer spend $8,000,” said Joe Gurrera, founder of upscale supermarket chain Citarella. “You know when you see someone with a full shopping cart? Now they have five.”

The well-heeled shoppers are buying “pretty much everything they can,” said Gurrera, whose stores are known for carrying gourmet goods. “Instead of asking for one or two steaks on a tray, a customer will buy the whole tray. Then they’ll move on to shrimp, and buy all the shrimp, and then they’ll buy all the salmon steaks.”

Once they’re done demolishing the meat and fish section, they move on to the prepared foods, Gurrera said. “Instead of asking for a slice of lasagna, they’ll buy all of it. Then they’ll buy all of our root vegetables,” he added.

“Business is insane. We are doing far more business than in July and August,” said Gurrera, who has four stores in Manhattan, three in the Hamptons and one in Greenwich, Connecticut. “People are spending thousands of dollars at a time.”

Hamptons liquor stores also are making bank. At Wainscott Main Wine & Spirits near East Hampton, business was up 500 percent last Friday, to $12,000, compared with the same day last year, said owner Joel Kaye. Freaked-out customers are spending $400 to $2,000 at a time, instead of the normal $75, he said.

“Our clients are stocking up their wine cellars, buying things like eight bottles of a good $200 Napa burgundy, instead of one bottle,” Kaye said, adding that he even sold a $325 bottle of hard-to-get Chablis.

“It feels like the Fourth of July,” added store manager Luis Marin. “We’re having fun and trying to stay open as much as we are allowed to. Our summer people are here and stocking up while they self-quarantine.”

As The Post reported Monday, people escaping to the Hamptons had been going out to eat in droves until the area’s first coronavirus case was confirmed on March 12 — sending people running for shelter.

Philanthropist and socialite Jean Shafiroff is accustomed to dining out on a nightly basis. But in the face of the coronavirus, she has taken the unfamiliar step of cooking for her husband, daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend. And it’s not been cheap.

“I’m spending $300 to $1,000 a day on food and supplies,” she said. The money goes toward chicken and salmon steaks, some of which she freezes, as well as for cleaning supplies and food for her dogs.

“I even bought the drugstore out of all its dental floss. I wanted to make sure I had enough, along with extra toothbrushes, soap, toothpaste and body lotions,” she said. “If I have to be quarantined, I better look nice.”

Shafiroff also is buying canned goods like the rest of America, but only out of an abundance of caution. “I can donate them later,” she said of the items like Progresso chicken noodle soup and Del Monte peas and carrots — brands “I had never heard of before.”

The stockpiling also has meant buying an extra freezer to store the goodies, as well as extra pots and pans for cooking, the philanthropist said.

She still goes to the beauty parlor often, including a recent trip to get her eyelashes done, but now dons a face mask.

“If I look bad, I will be depressed, even if I am just staying at home,” she explained. And on Monday, she also made a trip back to Manhattan — with a friend and her driver — to pick up “more clothes and the mail,” and a “big giant jar of Le Mer face cream.”

The sheltering experiment has already led to memorable family moments, like the night her daughter’s boyfriend, who is from Texas, made chili. It was such a departure from her normal life of fancy gowns and charity galas that she posted a pic of the stew online.

“It’s on my Instagram,” she said.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Today was my first day fully working from home and I realized if we survive this thing there’s going to be a whole bunch of dumb middle managers who will no longer be able to come up with a bullshit excuse when one of their employees under 40 asks about remote work.

you’re gonna have a whole bunch of middle managers who will no longer accept an excuse when they ask you to work at home

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The Nastier Nate posted:

bold of you to assume capitalism is rational

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
LOL if you think any excuse is necessary to tell an employee "no"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

you’re gonna have a whole bunch of middle managers who will no longer accept an excuse when they ask you to work at home

"We expect everyone to be a team player. Are you a team player?"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
our CEO posted a video in slack yesterday talking about covid and everything and slipped in there "oh btw we're freezing raises rn" and i was like uhh what the gently caress why?

more fuel for the fire as i'm organizing a unionization push

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Some c level in our company had a meeting today where it came up that they are trying to figure out how to "capitalize on the current climate" with their health care services. :suicide:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Thanatosian posted:

This is such complete loving bullshit. How the gently caress do the state unemployment agencies let them get away with this poo poo? Do you live in a state with a sympathetic AG, by chance? Or a district with a labor-friendly state legislator or state senator?
Yeah it's not actually a thing

quote:

Article
Your employer says you can't file for unemployment? Apply anyway

If a worker is not being offered any hours and the employer says they're not eligible for unemployment benefits, the employee is being given incorrect information and should apply anyway, according to Stettner.

"Once you have zero earnings in a prior week and you're not working this week, you're not employed by the definition of unemployment insurance," Stettner said.

The same goes for employees who have furlough status. When it comes to applying for unemployment benefits, workers are not considered to be employed if they are not earning wages, according to Stettner.
You absolutely can claim unemployment even if your "zero hour" employer doesn't want you to.

If they try and get cute and give you one hour a week or something then that's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_dismissal

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah it's not actually a thing

You absolutely can claim unemployment even if your "zero hour" employer doesn't want you to.

If they try and get cute and give you one hour a week or something then that's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constructive_dismissal

quoting for future reference

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I work in "transportation and logistics" in a non food or pharmaceutical grade warehouse but every email from corporate claims were an essential industry that will remain open if Dewine pulls the trigger. They cited this as proof

quote:

TRANSPORTATION AND LOGISTICS
• Employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including dispatchers, maintenance and repair
technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect
infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)
• Employees of firms providing services that enable logistics operations, including cooling, storing, packaging,
and distributing products for wholesale or retail sale or use.
• Mass transit workers
• Workers responsible for operating dispatching passenger, commuter and freight trains and maintaining rail
infrastructure and equipment
• Maritime transportation workers - port workers, mariners, equipment operators
• Truck drivers who haul hazardous and waste materials to support critical infrastructure, capabilities, functions,
and services
• Automotive repair and maintenance facilities
• Manufacturers and distributors (to include service centers and related operations) of packaging materials,
pallets, crates, containers, and other supplies needed to support manufacturing, packaging staging and
distribution operations
• Postal and shipping workers, to include private companies
• Employees who repair and maintain vehicles, aircraft, rail equipment, marine vessels, and the equipment and
infrastructure that enables operations that encompass movement of cargo and passengers
• Air transportation employees, including air traffic controllers, ramp personnel, aviation security, and aviation
management
• Workers who support the maintenance and operation of cargo by air transportation, including flight crews,
maintenance, airport operations, and other on- and off- airport facilities workers

None of which applies to us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm Chief Architect and CTO for a small dev company and we sell a relatively new and innovative customer/employee/asset data gathering tool that organisations can use to help guide their compliance, provenance, governance, risk, duty of care etc. Several large "tax efficient" multinational organisations are getting in touch realising right now how massively they are failing at all of these things. We're taking the money we're charging them and using it to provide our services totally free to as many local governments and non-profits as we can safely support to help them protect and monitor their civil servants and users in addition to hiring the additional devs we need for the sudden surge in business. It's not exactly seizing the means of production I know but it feels good to redistribute at least a little of their wealth.

In other news, the easyjet board and shareholders list is going turn out to be very handy for rounding up the profiteers for their show trials:
https://twitter.com/premnsikka/status/1241045553808658436