Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sounds like this could be what forces Cummings out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Darth Walrus posted:

Buzzfeed's bringing the goods again.

"The minister told BuzzFeed News that Cummings and Vallance were 'close allies'" :shepface:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol despite sainsburys having an entire shelf full of their 25p bottles of fizzy water that hardly anyone else buys i was told i could only have 3

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

Sounds like this could be what forces Cummings out

how do you reckon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jaete posted:

how do you reckon

the tories aren't going to get rid of boris if thousands die due to the government loving up when they can just pin all the blame on cummings instead

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Deketh posted:

I chickened out of going wild camping this weekend, seemed like a good chance with the weather being better but if I started getting symptoms while I was hours deep into the moors I'd be hosed and rightly so. Bummer. More living room it is then

Same here. It felt a bit irresponsible with how serious stuff would get. If it was just me i'd probably still have gone, if i'm honest, but the guy who would be driving me is a far better person than myself. No loving way am i getting the train!

I might go do a night of wild camping nearby my house just for the sake of it at some point. Today i'm just gonna go for a bike ride.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

sinky posted:

"The minister told BuzzFeed News that Cummings and Vallance were 'close allies'" :shepface:

Oh Jesus they're a pair of eugenicist psychos who see this as an opportunity to kill the weak, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1241294352917434368

Check the size of this oval office's head. Looks like he's going to start cursing Kakarot with that fivehead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Didnt Spanish flu cause society to shut down lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/jdwtwats/status/1240967388511842305?s=20

Just saw this twitter account:

https://twitter.com/covid1976024256/status/1241069253563944960?s=20

"I love social gatherings and crowded spaces..."

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lmao, nice

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is a bit of a random question. Does anyone know what cheapest legal way to watch twin peaks is? I've never watched it before and everyone always goes on about how good it is. I have decided that now is a good as time as any.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Google /index of/ followed by the name of the series.
As to its legality I have no idea.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Jippa posted:

This is a bit of a random question. Does anyone know what cheapest legal way to watch twin peaks is? I've never watched it before and everyone always goes on about how good it is. I have decided that now is a good as time as any.
The new season was availble on Now TV when I watched it when it first came out. Original season seems to be on Prime.
Edit: Ignore that, it's not on Prime, but you can buy it through Amazon.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I don't know why I bother at the minute with linkedIn but holy poo poo it's a massive cesspool of idiots bootlicking Boris & Sunak over last night's 'briefing', despite most of them being freelancers and knowing it fucks them over. At which stage does anybody look at the last week and claim 'they may prove to be the greatest parliamentary team of our time'? loving idiots.

Goldskull fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 21, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like linkedin probably selects for people who have a fetish for being dommed by daddy capitalism.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

So this 80% wages scheme, I haven't seen any timeframe for when the full details of this move will be published. Will the total grant per employee be based on their gross pay for the last tax year? Or if you were contracted for a set amount of hours, will the payments be equal to 80% of your contracted hours?

I'm curious too. Before that announcement my employer was talking about a 4-day week to stave off redundancies, so I'm curious how this scheme will interact with that. Can employers claim when reducing staff hours too?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Goldskull posted:

I don't know why I bother at the minute with linkedIn but holy poo poo it's a massive cesspool of idiots bottlicking Boris & Sunak over last night's 'briefing', despite most of them being freelancers and knowing it fucks them over. At which stage does anybody look at the last week and claim 'they may prove to be the greatest parliamentary team of our time'? loving idiots.

Fear brings out many responses, one of the least talked about and most dangerous in my view is the urge to run under the skirt of the nearest authority figure and beg to be saved.

Both Trump and Boris have blood on their hands in this pandemic alone but they've got high approval ratings for everything they've done. It won't be until the whole thing collapses that society turns on them.

superliminal
Jun 2, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

The new season was availble on Now TV when I watched it when it first came out. Original season seems to be on Prime.
Edit: Ignore that, it's not on Prime, but you can buy it through Amazon.

original series is on NowTV too, only thing that I don't think is available to stream anywhere legally over here is Fire Walk With Me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

HMRC have just set up a help line specifically for the self employed and businesses who will be struggling now due to the coronavirus

The Coronavirus helpline :

0300 303 0660 - Scotland
0300 456 3565 - England
0300 060 3000 - Wales

Apparently they will give you advice on your tax and any benefits you can claim. Feel free to share to all self employed.

(I expect it will be impossible to get through for the next week or two).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenCatt/status/1241319949244739585?s=19

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I have to be on linkedin for job hunting and it drives me loving insane. The other day someone posted some inspirational quotes from Sly Stallone where he recommended he said something like "The mind is the most powerful muscle. A strong arm can move a rock, but a strong mind can move a mountain. Ride the brain train for success" . The rest of it is just entrepreneur survivorship bias reposted by capos

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

So it's not them paying 80% of your wages if you're too sick to work, it's them paying 80% of your wages if your employer was going to fire you because the business was going down the drain. poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't know stallone was a jedi but there you go.

Actually I would definitely watch a star wars with stallone as a jedi.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

So it's not them paying 80% of your wages if you're too sick to work, it's them paying 80% of your wages if your employer was going to fire you because the business was going down the drain. poo poo.

Yeah, this is to stop redundancies when businesses are struggling.
If your employer is operating normally then you get whatever Sick Pay policy they already have, if any.

and re: AOC - she turns 35 abuot a month before the 2024 election, though there's questions about some states Primaries and if they need you to already be 35 at the time of the primary

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Mugsbaloney posted:

I have to be on linkedin for job hunting and it drives me loving insane. The other day someone posted some inspirational quotes from Sly Stallone where he recommended he said something like "The mind is the most powerful muscle. A strong arm can move a rock, but a strong mind can move a mountain. Ride the brain train for success" . The rest of it is just entrepreneur survivorship bias reposted by capos

I have had jobs through it, but that was a few years ago before everyone working at a recruitment agency decided they'd use it to be a 'mental wellbeing influencer' and incessantly post HI GUYS videos of themselves chuntering about nothing, or circlejerk each other. Like the posts made 2 days ago of 'who's available and set up to work remotely :) ??!' aimed at my trade. 200 responses in half an hour. We're all graphic designers/artworkers, of loving course we're set up at home, stop promising the notion of remote freelance jobs when we're already on your books and you know drat well there's nothing out there.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
One darkly funny thing about all this is that if you wade through Dominic Cummings' blog, a key part of his agenda is the idea that our present system of government administration is too cumbersome and antiquated to keep up with the pace of events in the modern world.
With Cummings now in a position of power, it's become apparent that a) He doesn't actually have a lot of new ideas, b) Whitehall can move pretty fast when it needs to and c) when decent leadership would really matter, he's backed a complete clown for Prime Minister.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51987923

All three showing mild or no symptoms. Will it be bad or good if this turns out to be a trend should we ever test people? Supresses the mortality rate, increases the infection rate?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Thing is it's the Democratic strategy for a few Presidential elections now that the challenger just straight up disappears in months between the primary and the election as they (rightly) believe that the longer people get a look at the centrist empty shite they're offering the quicker they get bored of it and go for the incumbent. Now that they've basically fixed it for Joe to win he's going to never be seen, especially since even if you dispute the dementia accusations you can't deny he just looks lost. Spending his last few years on this earth making sure that people don't get universal health care during a pandemic.

It's amazing how this was basically the Democrats to lose and now they're on course for an absolute slaughter come November.

lol look at whats happening because they've gone completely silent about coronavirus

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1241233044092092416?s=20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why is that bad?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Endjinneer posted:

c) when decent leadership would really matter, he's backed a complete clown for Prime Minister.

this made me wonder what the gammons who are saying "you might not like Boris but he's trying his hardest and we all need to get behind him at this time of crisis" would be saying if Corbyn was in charge now

for some reason, I'm not sure that they would be so keen on non-partisan solidarity

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why is that bad?

It's not enough to live off.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Nettle Soup posted:

It's not enough to live off.

the 80%? For a lot of people it will be and better than nothing. But yeah someone above already answered it. Its because if your sick you might be getting bugger all or statutory sick pay depending on what your current arrangements are.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/je_police/status/1241323347230822405?s=20

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Perhaps Coronavirus would be worse under Corbyn as the media wouldn't be able to help themselves calling him Stalin, screaming about Venezuela and the limitations of personal freedom.

Can't see any way the media wouldn't latch onto picture of empty shelves and say this proves that everything they'd been saying about him was right.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
My wife gave our ~70 year old neighbours her email to use in case of emergency, so that she can get them paracetamol or food or whatever if they're both sick. This morning she got an empty FW: FW: FW: email from them with an MP3 attachment of a woman talking about how she'd spoken to her sister's friend who is a nurse and wanted to pass along this ONE CRAZY TRICK that is guaranteed to kill the coronavirus.

I just hope we don't have to find their dead bodies in a couple of weeks.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why is that bad?

Because SSP is like £90 a week.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

the 80%? For a lot of people it will be and better than nothing. But yeah someone above already answered it. Its because if your sick you might be getting bugger all or statutory sick pay depending on what your current arrangements are.

Read it again. The sick pay isn't enough to live off and that's what you're gonna be getting most of the time. The 80% would be great, if you got it. But a lot of people aren't because their places decided to stay open as takeaway or whatever. I posted about it last night, my friend who works in starbucks is getting gently caress all, because they only ordered the partner stores to shut down, and franchises can do whatever they like. She has to carry on going to work and she doesn't get the 80% even if she does get sick.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Can't see any way the media wouldn't latch onto picture of empty shelves and say this proves that everything they'd been saying about him was right.

They've literally been saying that about him with pictures of empty shelves under Johnson; it is absolutely loving maddening.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

Oh Jesus they're a pair of eugenicist psychos who see this as an opportunity to kill the weak, aren't they?

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1241294352917434368

Check the size of this oval office's head. Looks like he's going to start cursing Kakarot with that fivehead.

Have we considered that maybe these people are secretly accelerationists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

XMNN posted:

this made me wonder what the gammons who are saying "you might not like Boris but he's trying his hardest and we all need to get behind him at this time of crisis" would be saying if Corbyn was in charge now

for some reason, I'm not sure that they would be so keen on non-partisan solidarity

No because the press would be using it as a justification for a coup and the very people alive because of him would be clapping along with it.