Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Everyone should post the character art they commissioned while stuck inside and moving over to digital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

pog boyfriend posted:

in the mean time, you can lean on the more obvious flaw(not very intelligent) to create humour, but also drama as well. if you throw in the hidden flaws and the obvious flaws together at the right moment you can create a perfect storm. (or, if you want a more lighthearted campaign, probably do not do that. read the room first, obviously.)

This is good. We think a lot of games that allow you to play dumb (but generally humorous) characters when we think of low INT, but that also goes both ways. You think you have a great plan to handle a particular situation (and perhaps your character has come to believe the it's the best plan), but then something really bad happens as a result that you didn't think of or foresee. That can lead to some pretty good, serious scenes. And then it plays off your whole charlatan thing and the fear of being found out to be an idiot.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Another thought on RPing characters with low ability scores: an 8 is the lowest thing most 5E characters will ever have, bar ability damage or some psycho DM that makes you roll 3d6 for ability scores. That really isn't some kind of abysmal handicap, mechanically or conceptually. It's a little below average.

A character with an Int of 8 doesn't have to be a big dipshit idiot, just someone who didn't have much of a formal education. A character with a Con of 8 is like, your friend with asthma, not Sam Jackson's character in Unbreakable. Having an ability score of 8 in anything shouldn't really impede your ability to roleplay a character with any background, or as a generally average person, or whatever.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Another thought on RPing characters with low ability scores: an 8 is the lowest thing most 5E characters will ever have,

I, a true roleplayer, can play an idiot even with 18 in every stat. I am so good, in fact, that many people believe that I myself am an idiot.

Don't feel bound by your mechanical stats. Reach for your dreams.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I, a true roleplayer, can play an idiot even with 18 in every stat. I am so good, in fact, that many people believe that I myself am an idiot.

Don't feel bound by your mechanical stats. Reach for your dreams.

I mean yea, I'm just sayin: I think people have this instinct when they have a penalty stat to really play it up as a defining feature of their terminally-handicapped character, but there's no actual logical reason to treat it that way unless you just want to

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just do what I do, gradually have every character get stupider and jokier over time

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

change my name posted:

Just do what I do, gradually have every character get stupider and jokier over time

Please stop playing out my life

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Do you guys have any advice for someone:
Trying to RP for the first time?
Trying to build a sorcerer for the first time?
Trying to cope with the pitfalls of being a timebomb wild magic dude?

I'm very excited to be included in the campaign, these are friends from college and I want to make this the best possible experience for them, while leaving room for some absolute catastrophic fuckups on my part. If I can keep up the charade of being a well-intentioned, intelligent, and competent mage at first, I think it'll be sufficiently funny watching everyone come to the realization that I'm a lucky rube liability with a heart of gold.

If it's not obvious, I'm very novice and very pumped for this poo poo.
:getin:

Bonus:
Anyone got a story from being a similar character that I can model some of my rp against?

Going in a different direction I'd be a bit cautious about doing lots of planning by yourself for your character - it's completely okay to have a super straightforward PC and not have to show up with a complex character to impress people, especially if you're not experienced.

In particular if you've got a character who you want to be a fuckup in any form, i would absolutely sit down with the other players when you're working on characters together and tell them this and do this kind of character planning together. Big reveals are unlikely to work as you expect. You really want to read the group and get a feel for how this kind of preplanned character works in the social environment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Your character’s alignment can/shoukd serve as a compass for your morality, and by combining your character’s personal goals with your alignment and playing it out accordingly that should provide ample opportunity for role playing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

You can make a great character with a couple of sentences. Keep it simple, imply a backstory, go light on details. Include the character's voice.

Ant Jones is a wiry, weathered looking dude with bad tattoos on his arms. He's spent the last few years working on the docks. He's thirty years old and perpetually single, broke, and tired. He's a paladin. What, you thought that was a noble knight with heraldy and that on his shiny armor? Of course you fuckin' did, champ.

There you go, a whole character. If he's got a heart of gold I can show that during play rather than reading it out to the group. Ditto if he really is a bitter prick. I don't even know, I wasn't (and wouldn't) be thinking about that yet, I'll let it come out in a fun way as the game goes on.

There's enough story implied that we can either flesh it out during play or decide that what Ant was doing before the plot started doesn't really matter, depending on how we feel about it later on.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Whenever I'm coming up with a new character I try and imagine an archetypical scene for them in my head; what's going on and how are they reacting?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What I do I try to think of how this character sets itself apart from not just my real self, but also my other characters. I don’t ever want to play the same type of character across different campaigns, and I try to define myself by my personal flaws, not my abilities.

My Loxodon Druid, for example, just doesn’t understand sarcasm or metaphor, because as a race their language is extremely tonal and works on resonant frequencies other races just can’t hear or produce, so as a result of that he cannot lie and doesn’t really understand how dishonesty even works. Since I’m RPing what is basically a cop, it’s a tremendous amount of fun.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Had the very rare occurence in my game where a pc was placed under arrest and they just... let themself be arrested! Admittedly this was after their wand of wonder ripped a Lightning Bolt through a crowd, so they did feel proper guilty about all that. Probably still gonna escape and continue on the quest but I was genuinely surprised when they just surrendered.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Had the very rare occurence in my game where a pc was placed under arrest and they just... let themself be arrested! Admittedly this was after their wand of wonder ripped a Lightning Bolt through a crowd, so they did feel proper guilty about all that. Probably still gonna escape and continue on the quest but I was genuinely surprised when they just surrendered.

"Officers, just warning you, you should bound and gag me since I have like 10 different ways to escape"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trojan Kaiju posted:

they're gonna start a prison riot

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I intend to deal with indecision with a complete guess until someone figures out in an idiot. That's my reveal. Haha

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

they're gonna start a prison riot

If they don't, it might be the other pc who catalyzed the whole thing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My character in DoMM is a Goblin Cleric who knows far less about stuff in general than he actually claims to. And he claims that he knows everything. It's a fun way to play, especially considering another party member is an extremely naive Kobold who actually believes nearly everything my character says.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 20, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

change my name posted:

This might be a stretch, but can you make this into a google doc or something? My roommate is also trying to migrate her game.

Yeah, I'd like to share this with my group if possible, great resource

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I'd like to share this with my group if possible, great resource

Yah, I'll clean it up and post tonight.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Zoom-based D&D doesn't work as well if every single person has a cat to get the group distracted by, hope this helps someone

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm looking to play a caster/melee character whenever this virus blows over (hopefully). What has been some of your favorites for general fun and flexibility?

A vanilla Hexblade looks like a good starting point. I haven't played for long, and I've played a caster lock and a forge cleric before.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It really depends on which side of the caster/melee you want to lean on. There isn't really a class in the middle. If you want to primarily cast with some melee thrown in for fun while also having a disgusting amount of AC, Bladesinger is the way to go. If you want to primarily smack dudes around while having some minor casting potential Hexblade dip into Paladin is great. Classes like Eldritch Knight are somewhat lukewarm. They're not AWFUL or anything, they're not Beastmaster Ranger, but they're not that great at gishing in the end.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yah echoing the "do you want to be melee capable (even melee ridiculous) but retain most of casting potential" vs "do you want to self buff and wade into the fray".

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I have a friend that wants to play a buff monk instead of a wise one. Any obvious issues with homebrewing the standard open hand monk to use their STR modifier for things instead of WIS?

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheDemon posted:

Yah echoing the "do you want to be melee capable (even melee ridiculous) but retain most of casting potential" vs "do you want to self buff and wade into the fray".

I guess mostly melee based with spells as buffs/support.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Slightly obscure rules question, I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd check.

If someone has the War Caster feat and wields a whip (or any other reach weapon), they can make ranged spell attacks as an opportunity attack without disadvantage, right? Because their threatened range becomes 10', which means when the attack tiggers, they're outside of the 5' range for the distadvantage to occur.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CottonWolf posted:

Slightly obscure rules question, I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd check.

If someone has the War Caster feat and wields a whip (or any other reach weapon), they can make ranged spell attacks as an opportunity attack without disadvantage, right? Because their threatened range becomes 10', which means when the attack tiggers, they're outside of the 5' range for the distadvantage to occur.

*puts on the Jeremy Crawford hat that says No Fun allowed* :eng101:

Technically, no as Reach is defined as setting the range for opportunity attacks for that specific weapon.

2015 Errata posted:

Reach (p. 147). This property also determines your reach for opportunity attacks with a reach weapon.

So a ranged spell attack via Warcaster uses your normal base melee range for OA's

You could however cast like Booming blade, or Green flame Blade using the whip.

Or if you are a bugbear who has a 10ft reach innately it would seemingly work as well.

Edit:

Actually I lied, Even less fun allowed, After looking it up Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade have a range of 5ft :v:

Apologies.

Mostly just ask your GM if they would allow it.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 21, 2020

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I guess mostly melee based with spells as buffs/support.

Hexblade, Paladin, certain flavors of melee Cleric like War Cleric and Tempest Cleric, Moon Druid focused around Shellelagh, Valor Bard, certain builds of Arcana Cleric.

Lots of multiclass options too thanks to what Hexblade, Paladin, or Fighter do at level 1 for your melee ability. The Hexblade + Paladin multiclass is known for solving the Paladin's MAD problems while being a good melee class that can smite twice a fight. The Sorcerer + Paladin multiclass (usually Divine Soul for sorc) is known for its bursty damage with sorcerer spell slots and buffs. Fighter 1 / Warlock X is well-known.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dexo posted:

*puts on the Jeremy Crawford hat that says No Fun allowed* :eng101:

Technically, no as Reach is defined as setting the range for opportunity attacks for that specific weapon.

So a ranged spell attack via Warcaster uses your normal base melee range for OA's

You could however cast like Booming blade, or Green flame Blade using the whip.

Or if you are a bugbear who has a 10ft reach innately it would seemingly work as well.

Edit:

Actually I lied, Even less fun allowed, After looking it up Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade have a range of 5ft :v:

Apologies.

Mostly just ask your GM if they would allow it.

Puts on rules lawyer hat. :smugwizard:

Aha. But the disadvantage for ranged attacks is defined in terms of distance rather than melee range, so it doesn't actually matter when your base melee range is, just that the enemy is more than 5' from you.

(But yeah, ask the GM is the right answer. Cheers.)

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

You can use the Spell Sniper feat to increase the range of Booming Blade etc to 10ft

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

CottonWolf posted:

Puts on rules lawyer hat. :smugwizard:

Aha. But the disadvantage for ranged attacks is defined in terms of distance rather than melee range, so it doesn't actually matter when your base melee range is, just that the enemy is more than 5' from you.

(But yeah, ask the GM is the right answer. Cheers.)

Advantage and disadvantage has no bearing on OA's. Like a Warlock with Warcaster could cast EB at an enemy moving away within 5 ft, it'd be at disadvantage

TheDemon posted:

You can use the Spell Sniper feat to increase the range of Booming Blade etc to 10ft

That you could do yes.

But yeah just beg your GM. Anyone who's not a dick will let you ignore that rule.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 21, 2020

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dexo posted:

Advantage and disadvantage has no bearing on OA's. Like a Warlock with Warcaster could cast EB at an enemy moving away within 5 ft, it'd be at disadvantage

My point is that, if you're OAing with a reach weapon, the OA occurs at 10', so the hypothetical Eldrich Blast from War Caster wouldn't have disadvantage, because ranged spell attacks only have disadvantage if the target is within 5' of you. When the OA occurs, the condition for disadvantage for ranged attacks wouldn't be met.

But yeah, I agree. It's a stupid discussion and I'll probably be allowed to do it anyway if I ask.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dexo posted:

~Dons his Even Bigger No Fun Hat~

Bugbears don't get reach for OAs.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Toshimo posted:

Goddammit, D&D!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Jesus it does say on your turn, I didn't actually look it up lmao.

*puts on gargantuan sized pedantry hat*

If someone does a reaction or has an ability that forces them to move in a way that triggers an OA(Held Action dissonant whispers comes to mind) for that creature which occurs on your turn you would in fact get the opportunity attack at reach.

CottonWolf posted:

My point is that, if you're OAing with a reach weapon, the OA occurs at 10', so the hypothetical Eldrich Blast from War Caster wouldn't have disadvantage, because ranged spell attacks only have disadvantage if the target is within 5' of you. When the OA occurs, the condition for disadvantage for ranged attacks wouldn't be met.

But yeah, I agree. It's a stupid discussion and I'll probably be allowed to do it anyway if I ask.

But the only thing that has the OA is the whip attack, not the spell attack, which is based off of for all intents and purposes your current unarmed reach. As the RAW ruling of a weapon with Reach is that only attacks that come from that weapon get the OA.

We are operating under intense levels of dumb pedantry right now. But I find it dumb and fun. So it goes.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dexo posted:

But the only thing that has the OA is the whip attack, not the spell attack, which is based off of for all intents and purposes your current unarmed reach. As the RAW ruling of a weapon with Reach is that only attacks that come from that weapon get the OA.

We are operating under intense levels of dumb pedantry right now. But I find it dumb and fun. So it goes.

In that case, let the pedantry go deeper!

The text for War Caster says:

"When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must only target that creature."

So I think it still counts, the movement provokes the opportunity attack from the whip, that meants the condition. Then the opportunity attack doesn't actually occur per "rather than making an opportunity attack", and a spell with a cost of 1 action is cast instead. I think the fact that an OA with the whip was possible is enough to justify casting the spell, RAW. It doesn't matter that the attack isn't coming from your weapon, because the attack actually never takes place, it's just the trigger to be allowed to cast the spell.

So the full summary of the order of events would be:

An attack is provoked on an enemy when it attempts to move past the 10' boundary from you, because that's the attack range of the whip per reach. The attack doesn't happen, and instead a ranged spell is cast on a target at 10' from the caster (per the text of War Caster), which then doesn't get disadvantage because that's only triggered on ranged attacks when the target is within 5' of you (per the definition of the conditions for disadvantage on ranged attack rolls).

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 21, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Because there are always lovely Sage Advice Tweets...

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/580139521498480640?s=20

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/511915558426521600?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

In that case, let the pedantry go deeper!

The text for War Caster says:

"When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity from you, you can use your reaction to cast a spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and must only target that creature."

So I think it still counts, the movement provokes the opportunity attack from the whip, that meants the condition. Then the opportunity attack doesn't actually occur per "rather than making an opportunity attack", and a spell with a cost of 1 action is cast instead. I think the fact that an OA with the whip was possible is enough to justify casting the spell, RAW. It doesn't matter that the attack isn't coming from your weapon, because the attack actually never takes place, it's just the trigger to be allowed to cast the spell.

So the full summary of the order of events would be:

An attack is provoked on an enemy when it attempts to move past the 10' boundary from you, because that's the attack range of the whip per reach. The attack doesn't happen, and instead a ranged spell is cast on a target at 10' from the caster (per the text of War Caster), which then doesn't get disadvantage because that's only triggered on ranged attacks when the target is within 5' of you (per the definition of the conditions for disadvantage on ranged attack rolls).

quote:

Reach. This weapon adds 5 feet to your reach when you attack with it, as well as when determining your reach for opportunity attacks with it.

Reach only counts when you are specifically attacking with that specific weapon.

or yeah those tweets above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

If they want War Caster AoOs to work that way, maybe they should write the book in a way that supports their intent instead of, you know, not.

Edit because I didn't see Dexo's post:
Still doesn't seem at odds with "When a hostile creature's movement provokes an opportunity attack from you..."

SilverMike fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 21, 2020