Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incrediblastic
Oct 29, 2010

I eat food.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I don't know, it just works for me? It definitely takes awhile to process the songs. I kept clicking on the playlist button out of boredom, maybe that helps?

Roger,will try it again sometime.

so for this not to be six word post - recently I've been fantasizing about owning my own place,and touring vrchat apartments has this bittersweet melancholy feeling to it.Also recently got Virtual Virtual Reality since it's like half off on steam and it's been great - the atmosphere reminds me of "Small Radios,Big televisions" for some reason.Clever commentary of peoples' dreams about VR as well.Don't want to judge it further since i haven't finished it yet.

EDIT: quick question - is the feel of depth enhanced in VR for the wow factor or what?Like i can judge distances etc. in meatspace but when I'm VRing I get the feeling that something is way over ~there~.

Incrediblastic fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nuts and Gum posted:

My bad i7 3770 lol. Yeah this thing is old as poo poo, I'm finally hitting a wall. Regarding upgrading, is it kosher now to have an AMD proc with an nvidia GPU, or should I stick with Intel for that pairing?

go with amd, it's just so much better value. also it was always "kosher", amd cpus were just crappy for a few years back there

Incrediblastic posted:

EDIT: quick question - is the feel of depth enhanced in VR for the wow factor or what?Like i can judge distances etc. in meatspace but when I'm VRing I get the feeling that something is way over ~there~.
i got this effect for the first few days of VR, because, "brain think game flat, suddenly 3d"

it goes away fairly quick in my experience, but the extra info your brain gets from vr compared to monitor stays forever and helps so much with some things

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 21, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Incrediblastic posted:

I'm recommending BoxVR too,it's much better than beats saber for me because my coordination is poo poo, but how did you make the beat map generator work? When I try it it gets stuck on "processing" forever in the game and there's an external playlist manager which can generate the beat maps outside of the game,but when i try it then the game doesn't load up songs at all- it puts me in the selected environment and nothing happens.There's a steam community thread where people are having the same problem.

Well I wish that would work for Quest. BTW, they just announced a DLC with one hours of music for the game, to be released next week.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6UmseJ2dG0

H3VR's just got a roadmap devlog this week, but good lord look at that new outdoor T&H map. And that's just one part of it... :stwoon:.

It looks hella nice. Can't wait to have a reason to use a scope in T&H for once! I'm curious to see what the hold point targets will look like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Truga posted:

go with amd, it's just so much better value. also it was always "kosher", amd cpus were just crappy for a few years back there

i got this effect for the first few days of VR, because, "brain think game flat, suddenly 3d"

it goes away fairly quick in my experience, but the extra info your brain gets from vr compared to monitor stays forever and helps so much with some things

AMD had real bad CPU's for a long time, but they've turned things right around with the Ryzen CPU's (I think the Threadrippers are good too? I haven't heard much on them). You're functionally getting near/same as Intel performance for a fraction of the price.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Threadrippers are good for workstations and budget servers, not so much for games. Not that they're outright bad they're just not optimized for it.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Armadillo Tank posted:

Has anyone in the thread used any of the https://www.pimax.com/ vr headsets.

I looking to buy before the collapse and i'm wondering how they compare to the Index. The 200 degree field of view really appeals to me but overall quality on the index seems higher.

Quoting my own post in a vain hope that a goon bought the more-expensive-than-the-loving-index headset and can tell me if the 200 degree fov is worth it.

:(

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a Quest sale going on
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/

AUDICA price dropped from $29.99 to $23.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2333124776756148

Arizona Sunshine price dropped from $39.99 to $29.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2190353671014400

A Fisherman's Tale price dropped from $14.99 to $11.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2299967930057156

Red Matter price dropped from $24.99 to $19.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2180753588712484

Ninja Legends price dropped from $19.99 to $14.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2398880980156491

Gun Club VR price dropped from $19.99 to $15.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2285803881494677

Sairento VR : Untethered price dropped from $19.99 to $14.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/2299215130112875

SUPERHOT VR price dropped from $24.99 to $18.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/1921533091289407

Job Simulator price dropped from $19.99 to $15.99
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3235570703151406

There is also three duo packs

Thumper and Pinball FX2 VR
Creed: Rise to Glory and 2MD: VR Football Unleashed
Wander and Nature Treks VR

And here are 4 Rift crossbuy games on sale:

Apex Construct 25% off - $14.99
Cave Digger 30% off - $13.99
The Wizards 59% off - $10.00
Wands 40% off - $11.99

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Sairento is one of the most "I feel so cool" VR games. Doing a backflip off a wall and shooting enemies beneath you in slomo is some action movie poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shine posted:

Sairento is one of the most "I feel so cool" VR games. Doing a backflip off a wall and shooting enemies beneath you in slomo is some action movie poo poo.

I mostly just use the Intercessor revolvers to single-headshoot most enemies, and I still adore the poo poo out of Sairento. I highly recommend getting the weapon DLC, just for the sickle-on-a-chain Kusarigama. You can just wave your arms about like an idiot with a pair of them and watch things just get diced around you :gibs:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LDNtQmAfZE

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

UK goons can grab a Rift S for £339 until the end of the Sunday, so now would be a good time to grab one if you've been on the fence: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/03/19/save-60-on-an-oculus-rift-s-just-in-time-for-half-life-alyx/

[edit] Out of stock, so gently caress me I guess. :mad: Might see if I can get cashback elsewhere, I fancy me some VR.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 21, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Armadillo Tank posted:

Quoting my own post in a vain hope that a goon bought the more-expensive-than-the-loving-index headset and can tell me if the 200 degree fov is worth it.

:(

I own the 5k+ and like it a lot. Colours are a tad muted and some have issues with uncomfortable binocular overlap but the resolution and FOV are nuts. Jet Island in 200 degrees is a gamechanger.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 21, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nuts and Gum posted:

My bad i7 3770 lol. Yeah this thing is old as poo poo, I'm finally hitting a wall. Regarding upgrading, is it kosher now to have an AMD proc with an nvidia GPU, or should I stick with Intel for that pairing?

Yes that’s fine I run a Ryzen 5 2600x and a 1080ti and it works perfect.

AMD is blowing intel out of the water these days on the CPU side and nVidia is doing the same to AMD on the GPU side so it just makes sense to pair them that way.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Really wish I knew if my i7-7700 is going to be okay for Alyx. I'm getting nervous cause it seems like it's actually a pretty old cpu and not that great. I am not going to be upgrading any time soon though as I'd need to basically rebuild the entire pc (replace the motherboard and get a new case and stuff).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

i must compose posted:

Really wish I knew if my i7-7700 is going to be okay for Alyx. I'm getting nervous cause it seems like it's actually a pretty old cpu and not that great. I am not going to be upgrading any time soon though as I'd need to basically rebuild the entire pc (replace the motherboard and get a new case and stuff).

There is like no chance that a 7700 is going to be inadequate unless the game has some real hosed up CPU optimization. I have an overclocked 4470K that still has zero issue with virtually any game.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I’m really nervous that my 1060 won’t be able to run it at acceptable FPS. So far all of Valve’s demos and the Rooms they released run fine at 90 FPS on my Index with default settings, but Superhot runs at ~50fps! If I have to update my GPU I’ll also have to upgrade my PSU...

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I don't have an Index, but a Vive, and a 1070. The only way i'd consider getting an Index would be if I had a 2070 Super/2080 Super.

It's like buying a 4k tv to watch vcd's that you put into your modchipped playstation

okay not that bad but a 1060 will be fine but I feel like you're not really taking advantage of the two features the index has, high res and high refresh rate

edit: your games will run. but at a much, much lower than native res and definitely not at high refresh rates

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.
So what's the consensus about purchasing equipment from eBay? I'm really jonesin for an Index and I'm seriously considering laying down the money to get it that way.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thunk:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm not totally sold on this new design for the Combine, but still excited to play Alyx on Monday.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Don't doxx me

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Told you that aliexpress Index knockoff was too good a deal to be trusted, but did you listen?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BDSM Shopping Simulator VR, version 3.0 update: French localization, customizable shopping carts

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Is that the Maxie in Aylmer?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Penpal posted:

I don't have an Index, but a Vive, and a 1070. The only way i'd consider getting an Index would be if I had a 2070 Super/2080 Super.

It's like buying a 4k tv to watch vcd's that you put into your modchipped playstation

okay not that bad but a 1060 will be fine but I feel like you're not really taking advantage of the two features the index has, high res and high refresh rate

edit: your games will run. but at a much, much lower than native res and definitely not at high refresh rates

Yeah I know, but I managed to snag the index in the latest sale and haven’t been able to decide whether I should wait for the next wave of GPUs in August or if I should get a 2070 super/5700XT

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Haha sorry that was meant for cspam

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

The Walrus posted:

I own the 5k+ and like it a lot. Colours are a tad muted and some have issues with uncomfortable binocular overlap but the resolution and FOV are nuts. Jet Island in 200 degrees is a gamechanger.

What is the uncomfortable binocular overlap?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Brownie posted:

Yeah I know, but I managed to snag the index in the latest sale and haven’t been able to decide whether I should wait for the next wave of GPUs in August or if I should get a 2070 super/5700XT

Depends on how large your savings is and/or how confident you are that you won't be out of a job in a month.

Also re: processor chat

My aging 4770k on a stock clock is around 25% slower on single threaded applications than a 3800x (what I was going to buy before the economy died). Maybe 30% slower than a 9700k.

You can get +20% clock speed on those with a $25 10 year old cooler master 212 evo, and I was running +28.5% before my water cooler broke. So just overclock a little if you're running into a CPU bottleneck and don't want to do an expensive rebuild in the middle of an economic collapse.

e: the legit worst thing about my old rear end setup is that my steam folder is on a loving 3TB 7200rpm platter drive. These loading times suck so much lol

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 21, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just got to a tedious physics puzzle in Boneworks and it's like the worst thing you'd see in an early 2000s FPS title that just licensed Havok; ie gently caress this poo poo.

I'm just under the 2 hours, I'm going to see if I can refund. I've quickly grown tired of the world and aesthetic of the levels as well and a lot of the game seems to want to focus on walking around these boring levels rather than combat or solving (good) puzzles.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

sigher posted:

I just got to a tedious physics puzzle in Boneworks and it's like the worst thing you'd see in an early 2000s FPS title that just licensed Havok; ie gently caress this poo poo.

I'm just under the 2 hours, I'm going to see if I can refund. I've quickly grown tired of the world and aesthetic of the levels as well and a lot of the game seems to want to focus on walking around these boring levels rather than combat or solving (good) puzzles.

How far are you?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of Boneworks, I have to say it barely bothered me, vr-sickness wise, unlike other people. Jumps or climbing were obviously not the most comfortable thing to do, but still I could do it, and could continue playing, and I didn't have problems after the VR session.
What I noticed is that in general, I only have problems with continuous rotations of the view in VR, I'm ok with basically all the rest. So, this:

And in particular rolls. Thanks god almost all games include the snap turning option for the yaw (or you can just rotate by yourself in RL)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

i must compose posted:

How far are you?

Pretty early on, the puzzle has me going up some building, but before that I had some jump over some water tank things into another room where I could make a bridge from yellow mats to get to a save, then there's two ledges that are connected that teeter when weight is applied to them and it's just so god drat annoying.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boneworks shootmans is real good, friend. You’ll miss out!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Boneworks shootmans is real good, friend. You’ll miss out!

It really has some of the best combat I’ve played. Worth getting thru the physics stuff!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah it sucks the sandbox isn't unlocked from the very beginning. And I wish it would have been way creepier. It feels like it's goosebumps when it could have been the x-files

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Reminder that Tabletop Simulator is VR compatible too. Fair amount of people with headsets right now, feels a bit odd.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Penpal posted:

Yeah it sucks the sandbox isn't unlocked from the very beginning. And I wish it would have been way creepier. It feels like it's goosebumps when it could have been the x-files

Boneworks is more unsettling than out and out scary.

I’d argue the only time it’s really scary is when you hear “hey” very close to you or right behind you, and when the headcrabs jump at you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Penpal posted:

It is now! The big checkpoint patch just gives you the sandbox module by the first recycling point now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anyone try out RPG NPC Simulator? You make a shop and craft weapons to sell to people. Looks like a fun chill game for a tenner. I'm looking for a more relaxed VR game as I seriously hurt my neck shaking my head "no" to customers all loving week to not having cilantro and potatoes.

In other news, Saints and Sinners is currently 10% off on steam.