Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tom perez: no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Over Easy posted:

why does he need to be standing in this blue poo poo with all these tubes?

That's mostly to get him off

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
2 people at New York's air traffic control center just tested positive, they've put out a ground stop to all the New York metro airports. If they go ATC zero poo poo will hit the fan. That's not good for number.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
lol airports are still open?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IAMKOREA posted:

lol airports are still open?

Yup! Still some aircraft going in and out of Aspen and Eagle too. Good thing those aren't huge hotspots for the virus!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ModFarm/status/1241024720528695299?s=19

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2020/03/17/the-places-a-covid-19-recession-will-likely-hit-hardest/

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

third world country

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol midland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJOe42g9nEc

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

love some e.coli as a garnish for my corona

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

isn’t this the cheapest time to nationalise too?

governments are run by people who are, or are friends with, people owning these companies that want both government bailouts and to not have to give up equity to do so.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

kinda lucky i moved to the pnw [ten seconds later, the Big One hits]

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ok doomsday economics thread i take it back, too much doomsday.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
reverse nationalization where the corporations effectively take over government is far more likely

will trump sell off the national treasury to goldman sachs because they are better able to run our finances? tune in next month to see!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ok doomsday economics thread i take it back, too much doomsday.

i cursed us all, im sorry

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Over Easy posted:

that still doesn't answer how they plan to manufacture a coin large enough to be worth 1 trillion dollars

that thing is going to need to be massive

No it doesnt, because money isn't real. If you mint it and say its worth 1 trillion and nobody can contest it then it's worth 1 trillion. That's how Fiat currency works

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Great, if the Roni doesn't get you, a bad batch of macroni will.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

were gonna be the earth from The Expanse with like 50% unemployment and everyone surviving off basic income, except without cool spaceships and poo poo

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:woop:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

were gonna be the earth from The Expanse with like 50% unemployment and everyone surviving off basic income, except without cool spaceships and poo poo

yeah, it's going to be a loving nightmare

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Agean90 posted:

No it doesnt, because money isn't real. If you mint it and say its worth 1 trillion and nobody can contest it then it's worth 1 trillion. That's how Fiat currency works

I don't know man, I just don't get how they are going to be able to mobilize the human capital necessary to build a coin that big, especially under these conditions

praying that you're right though

:pray:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

RBC posted:

Really it's only a matter of time before we realize there's no point propping up this house of cards anymore. Can we just start over with full communism.

there's plenty of reasons. maintaining the lifestyle of the feudal lords that own us for example

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Among the 100 largest metro areas, the economically safest are mostly tech-oriented university towns. Provo, Utah is the least exposed, followed by Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C., Hartford, Conn., Albany, N.Y., and San Jose, Calif.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEKB7pi1mbc

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Fellatio del Toro posted:

why not just make a $2 trillion coin
how are you gonna weigh the coin for authenticity without another coin to weigh it against. duh.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Florida :unsmigghh:

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

etalian posted:

lmao how the US thinks a single $2000 check will make this go away.

A vaccine cure is probably 1 - 2 years off and piles of people in the tourism have either been laid off / had hours cut.

I imagine this would also affect the real estate market over the next year due to people not being make their monthly mortgage or rent payments.

Lack of tourism is going to leave huge swathes of the country literally destitute by mid-June at the latest.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

My lease here in Vegas is up in May, if were not all dead this should work out pretty well when it comes to finding good deals.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The only inspection needed is from the invisible hand

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
ITS ALMOST LIKE BASING AN ENTIRE ECONOMY ON EASILY DISRUPTED LINES OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND IS A STUPID loving IDEA

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol the last few pages of the stock trading thread is good reading, a lot of people convinced that this is just a temporary panic

don't post, just look

My favorite is the idiot citing influenza deaths for why corona is no big deal, and the couple guys who think this "panic" is "just poors people who haven't found success in life wanting scapegoats"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXXJsQb6d4w

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Over Easy posted:

I don't know man, I just don't get how they are going to be able to mobilize the human capital necessary to build a coin that big, especially under these conditions

praying that you're right though

:pray:

say it gonna mint the coin, then use the promise of it to create a coin mentinf jobs program then they ment 2 coins, one to pay off the current workers and another to hire more coin makers easy peasy

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol the last few pages of the stock trading thread is good reading, a lot of people convinced that this is just a temporary panic

don't post, just look

My favorite is the idiot citing influenza deaths for why corona is no big deal, and the couple guys who think this "panic" is "just poors people who haven't found success in life wanting scapegoats"

lmao some vulnerable tourist focused areas like Orlando and Savannah are expected to lose 25% of all the jobs in their respective metro areas this year.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

keynes' proposal of paying one group of people to dig holes and another to fill them in but its one group who mints trillion dollar coins and another that melts them down

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

keynes' proposal of paying one group of people to dig holes and another to fill them in but its one group who mints trillion dollar coins and another that melts them down

each time this happens the GDP goes up another trillion! were saved!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

do they even have to mint the trillion dollar coins? can't they just tell everyone they made them and just say no one can look like they do with gold reserves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

The natural end to neo liberal policies. The most left position.