Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hector Delgado posted:

So should I avoid doing certain quests that reward armor/weapons that are good til I'm in my higher levels, like mid 40s? Is it a waste to do them at 14 since leveling is quicker?

There's a small handful that are worth delaying until cp160 (e.g. the Mother's Sorrow staff and Burning Spellweave dungeons, CoA, but even then you can just do it on an alt) but generally speaking no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
is there a golden path if I'm just starting out that I should do. I'm a magplar that wants heavy magicka armor if I can get it, but a lot of what I get is light or medium stuff. It's also hard to keep my weapon updated. A few areas I stumble in to seem harder to me than they should be because I'm leveling fast but gear upgrades are slow

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 21, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Robo Reagan posted:

is there a golden path if I'm just starting out that I should do. I'm a magplar that wants heavy magicka armor if I can get it, but a lot of what I get is light or medium stuff. It's also hard to keep my weapon updated. A few areas I stumble in to seem harder to me than they should be because I'm leveling fast but gear upgrades are slow

Have a look through eso-sets is the best advice I can give, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out which areas have okay heavy magicka sets. Oh and buy some Witchmother's brew in a player shop if you haven't yet.

Off the top of my head the willpower jewelry set is fairly decent and relatively low effort, as is the knight slayer set if you pvp. I also remember that glenumbra has a heavy magicka set, though ultimately none of the above ones are truly exceptional.

E:
Looking at it myself you have the elf bane pvp set, soulshine set from reapers march, ice furnace from direfrost keep and rattlecage from vaults of madness (probably not the 2 you want to farm until later on because dungeon farming is rather boring), wyrd tree blessing from glenumbra and maybe shall exoskeleton from stonefalls. What you do is play in the given areas until you have the set; specific activities reward a limited set of pieces but there's a fair bit of overlap and as long as you do a bit of everything you will be fine. Or you can find what drops what by reading about eso sets on the uesp wiki, it's the same across all world sets.

Also keep in mind that you only need one set in your chosen armour style, the other can be whatever you want, either weapon and jewelry or jewelry/weapon and 2 armour pieces (before cp160 since after that you want to use a monster set, which are always shoulder and head).

There's also the option of getting a crafted set from someone, but it requires having a friendly higher-level player with a bit of free time. That said it's not too onerous or expensive to do, so don't worry about bothering them too much. You will normally be expected to supply materials though, which can be relatively pricey for a new player.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 21, 2020

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I can’t even figure out how to buy materials. Even after googling, I’m baffled by the auction system.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I can’t even figure out how to buy materials. Even after googling, I’m baffled by the auction system.

You mean guild banks? It’s obscure. Basically fill in the filters you want and the put the highlight on the option that shows results and hit square (or whatever on PC/Xbone) If you see nothing come up it’s because there is nothing available. That last part threw me off thinking I was doing something wrong until I put in some keywords that are common and got results.

And on Sets chat, tell me if i am wrong because my character is only level 31 but i basically just put together what I can with drops and crafting and ignore sets unless i happen to get them randomly. I figure that sets aren’t going to make that much of a difference until much later.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Doctor Zero posted:

And on Sets chat, tell me if i am wrong because my character is only level 31 but i basically just put together what I can with drops and crafting and ignore sets unless i happen to get them randomly. I figure that sets aren’t going to make that much of a difference until much later.

They do help but you're right that it's a tradeoff against having correct level gear; as I said earlier the power of gear drops off pretty quickly. It's not really a straightforward calculation but keeping at least one set around can be worth it from mid 30s or so, as long as you don't mind playing in one area.

What I would do is maybe keep your weapon up to date (and hence likely non-set) and combine with an offensive armour set even if it is slightly outdated, since damage/crit/penetration helps a lot more than 20-30% extra armour on a handful of pieces. Though I did personally stay in ~80% set gear from mid-levels onwards on my first character, but that was more a happy coincidence of the drops I was getting.

e: as for guild traders what you want to do is go to Vivec or Mournhold pretty much, and ideally get an addon for a better shopping UI (can't remember the name of the one I have)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 21, 2020

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Could I get an invite to the guild? @Dromer

I finished the map storyline quests before getting halfway through the Main Story because apparently having Elseweyr fucks up the quest progression until you do the prologue quest for it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

For guild traders you don’t want to just go to Vivec or any one city. You want to go to tamrieltradecenter.com to find if what you’re buying has been listed anywhere, then you travel to the place to see if it’s been sold yet!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pivo posted:

For guild traders you don’t want to just go to Vivec or any one city. You want to go to tamrieltradecenter.com to find if what you’re buying has been listed anywhere, then you travel to the place to see if it’s been sold yet!

aha! this makes way more sense.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I mean yeah, you'll save a bit of money that way, but it's a lot more hassle. Bit like with Jita in EVE except much lower volumes.

Another useful trading website is esosales.uesp.net.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I mean yeah, you'll save a bit of money that way, but it's a lot more hassle. Bit like with Jita in EVE except much lower volumes.

I mean the folks with shops in Vivec just might not have the stuff you’re looking for. Especially when you get to high end crafting you’re just going to get gouged to hell if you go to the first vendor you see especially if you don’t know what normal prices are. I started using TTC as a noob and it was useful then.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pivo posted:

I mean the folks with shops in Vivec just might not have the stuff you’re looking for. Especially when you get to high end crafting you’re just going to get gouged to hell if you go to the first vendor you see especially if you don’t know what normal prices are. I started using TTC as a noob and it was useful then.

I've had very little trouble finding anything on the Vivec traders, and especially with crafting mats it's handy to be able to buy them all in one place. The markups have never been as outrageous as they were on guild traders in the guilds I'm a member of, either.

Don't get me wrong TTC and similar is good for a price check, but the number of times I tried to get to an excellent deal only to find it gone was rather high.

This is all on the EU server so YMMV.

e: I mean, the trader spots in Vivec and Mournhold go for millions per week (there's a trader spot auction system) and each guild will have a full complement of traders (i.e. 1000) who all have minimum sales targets of 100k+ to meet (there's also a tax system). Which makes it even worse than Jita, since in EVE at least you don't have to pay for the privilege of selling your goods in a popular system.

If they were outright fleecing people they wouldn't be able to maintain the kind of volume necessary to do that.

That is far less of a concern for traders in out-of-the way spots which are relatively cheap.

e2: Though yes, you're a lot less likely to get someone selling you something for far less than the market value. There's people doing the usual market arbitrage crap who make a living off of it. But I'd rather not rely on that for everything just to save a bit of money.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 21, 2020

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The way I use TTC is that I order by the date/time so that I can see what prices are getting pushed at the moment on the server. I can often save 30-50% by seeing where in the world someone is listing something low that everyone else is listing something high. It's pretty rare that I turn up somewhere to find the thing I want gone. It doesn't take long anyway if you've got most of the moongates wayshrines. Either way, there are lots of ways to play this game, I would normally caution people against obsessive min-maxing as it kills fun, but ... cross-shopping is something I do without thinking IRL and I'm not sure why you wouldn't in ESO. Unless you have tons of gold then YOLO.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Wait. Can I use traders from another guild??? :aaa:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait. Can I use traders from another guild??? :aaa:

You can buy from any trader, but you can only sell if you're in the guild.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pivo posted:

The way I use TTC is that I order by the date/time so that I can see what prices are getting pushed at the moment on the server. I can often save 30-50% by seeing where in the world someone is listing something low that everyone else is listing something high. It's pretty rare that I turn up somewhere to find the thing I want gone. It doesn't take long anyway if you've got most of the moongates wayshrines. Either way, there are lots of ways to play this game, I would normally caution people against obsessive min-maxing as it kills fun, but ... cross-shopping is something I do without thinking IRL and I'm not sure why you wouldn't in ESO. Unless you have tons of gold then YOLO.

Fair enough I guess, as I said I did have a bad experience a few times so I've been using it more as a rough price guide, but I can see how it can be worth it.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or do dungeons suck in ESO? Every time I've tried to do my daily dungeon que it always turns into someones trying to sprint past all the mobs to kill the boss. My Sorcerer can't make it thru the gauntlet and just gets chewed up and people cry.

What ever happened to actually clearing dungeons? :(

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

NuckmasterJ posted:

Is it just me or do dungeons suck in ESO? Every time I've tried to do my daily dungeon que it always turns into someones trying to sprint past all the mobs to kill the boss. My Sorcerer can't make it thru the gauntlet and just gets chewed up and people cry.

People do clear some of the more difficult dungeon content (i.e. Arenas, DLC ones, HM ones, trials), unfortunately higher level folks/geared alts can run through normal dungeons with ease, so they do that, since they get keys for monster sets for it (otherwise known as pledges). Even some of the more difficult content can be rushed through.

Also you can't do the quest more than once on any given character so that's a major disincentive for taking your time. And normally you have 3 pledges per character per day, so that's potentially quite a lot of dungeons to run through, similarly if you're farming something you're probably happy to cut down on the time it takes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

NuckmasterJ posted:

Gotta get that 100k xp bonus my guy. At least now they're actually doing the dungeon instead of teleporting to Fungal Grotto I, clearing the dungeon in less time than it takes the rest of the group to get to the boss, and dipping out once they get their bonus.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Alot of times it's the tank bringing the huge hoard with them and them murderizing them all, which isn't a bad dead if you're doing a run with someone who can do that.

I like doing dungeons with a bunch of sub 30 level dudes even if I'm like CP350 now.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/517545/pts-patch-notes-testing-ideas-for-light-heavy-attacks-in-combat

"Hey guys we can't actually fix our poo poo so we're gonna gently caress with core game mechanics instead."

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Scyantific posted:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/517545/pts-patch-notes-testing-ideas-for-light-heavy-attacks-in-combat

"Hey guys we can't actually fix our poo poo so we're gonna gently caress with core game mechanics instead."
they wrote out what they see the problems to be but i am having a very hard time connecting their changes to the problems they stated

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

cams posted:

they wrote out what they see the problems to be but i am having a very hard time connecting their changes to the problems they stated

Because they literally have no loving clue what they're doing. The so called "performance patch" made poo poo worse according to people who still play. And now instead of going back and fixing their poo poo they are literally moving on to the next thing without looking back.

I talked a lot of poo poo about Wrobel (the previous combat lead) but holy poo poo Gilliam and Wheeler are making him look like a goddamn genius.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy
Invites are caught up to this point.

Jester Event starts Thursday.

"The Jester’s Festival begins Thursday, March 26 at 10:00AM EDT, and revels in the ridiculous until April 2 at 10:00AM EDT. During this frivolous fête, you can earn special event-specific rewards by completing Jester’s Festival quests.

To get started, find the Jester’s Festival pavilions located outside the cities of Ebonheart, Vulkhel Guard, and Daggerfall. If you’re having trouble, pick up the Jester’s Festival starter quest free from the in-game Crown Store for directions."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Scyantific posted:

quote:

Light attacks now restore resources, and resource restore is removed from Heavy attacks.
Successive Light attacks grant a stacking resource buff, up to 3 consecutive attacks maxing out the benefit (without weaving abilities).

:lmao: what the gently caress

e:

quote:

There are, however, several drawbacks to this model as well. First, it tends to reward players for pushing buttons as quickly and efficiently as possible. Players with high Actions Per Minute (APM) significantly outperform those with low APM, as they have better up-time of abilities, higher mitigation, much higher DPS, and can simply move around the battlefield better in both PVE and PVP. While we believe it’s good to have a skill gap that promotes mastery, we also believe the gap as it currently exists is too wide, and that many players aren’t finding satisfaction in the climb. Additionally, we believe the over-reliance on a specific mechanic (light attack weaving) leaves less room for playstyle diversity, including lower-APM options. This is particularly evident in veteran content and PvP. Finally, the concept of using light attacks for damage and heavy attacks for restore is, quite simply, unintuitive – especially for less experienced players.

Though I wouldn't entirely say it has nothing to do with their stated aims, if they're trying to lower the skill ceiling and raise the skill floor of combat, as per what they said (and what they did not explicitly say, reading between the lines, because high perfectly-timed APM=higher skill) the changes might just do that.

Since as things stand:

a) Heavy attack weaving is more difficult to pull off than light attack weaving, but necessary with weak sustain
b) Failed weaving is punishing in terms of DPS output
c) Skilled weaving players have much higher DPS
d) Medium attack weaving is really hard to pull off "correctly"
e) Players out of resources have to do heavy attacks to restore them, which is more difficult than just mashing LMB, which is the instinctive response (at least it was for me for like the first 2 weeks of playing)

Which they'd go about by changing:

a) Sustain will now be boosted by light attacking and weaving, which can be done by mashing LMB along with ability keys
b) Double attacking instead of single attacking between abilities (one of the ways of failing a weave) will now restore extra resources, and if one consistently fails weaving they'll run out of sustain but can get it back up easily as per e)
c) Light attacks will do less damage and heavy attacks are not that great for DPS, lowering the amount of extra DPS from weaving
d) Doing medium attacks "badly" won't have a significant DPS impact now
e) Spamming LMB will now restore resources even if you don't know WTF is going on

Now all of this should probably equalise the playing field a bit between button mashers and, uhh, more experienced players.

Even if it sucks for experienced players.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 24, 2020

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They're literally admitting that they're uncomfortable with people mastering their combat system and using it to clown all over john b casual. Like, they've always implied it, but now they're just being flat out open about it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Scyantific posted:

They're literally admitting that they're uncomfortable with people mastering their combat system and using it to clown all over john b casual. Like, they've always implied it, but now they're just being flat out open about it.

Pretty much yea.

e: That said I could see them bungling that up spectacularly if the light attack damage nerfs aren't strong enough, or the sustain stacking from repeated attacks isn't good enough. Since then you'd just have everyone doing light attack weaving all day and demolishing people who don't - both via better sustains and DPS. Still a huge dump on people who can do the same thing now with mixed light and heavy weaving, but not quite as much of a nerf.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 24, 2020

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

After reading what was posted above:

I haven't played much at all in a while, and even getting to a pretty high CP level (like 600 or something) I never really considered myself "good" at ESO. Like decent but not great, I mostly just healed dungeons and did a good enough job at it so that my likely mediocre damage always just felt like me giving a little extra on top of keeping everyone alive.

With that said I never really perfected weaving (though I get the concept and could at least half-rear end it), and basically used heavy attacks if I needed more resources, or threw a couple light attacks out if I didn't have the time for a heavy or between using abilities.

With that mindset, what the hell is the point of heavy attacks now if you are mostly just using abilities and using regular attacks as a filler or to replenish resources if light attacks do both things?

Again, mostly from a healing perspective, but I guess DPS as well.

E: I'm not trying to come across as some sort of garbage player that the pros are mad about the changes catering towards, just honestly asking.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 24, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Twenty Four posted:

After reading what was posted above:

I haven't played much at all in a while, and even getting to a pretty high CP level (like 600 or something) I never really considered myself "good" at ESO. Like decent but not great, I mostly just healed dungeons and did a good enough job at it so that my likely mediocre damage always just felt like me giving a little extra on top of keeping everyone alive.

With that said I never really perfected weaving (though I get the concept and could at least half-rear end it), and basically used heavy attacks if I needed more resources, or threw a couple light attacks out if I didn't have the time for a heavy or between using abilities.

With that mindset, what the hell is the point of heavy attacks now if you are mostly just using abilities and using regular attacks as a filler or to replenish resources if light attacks do both things?

Again, mostly from a healing perspective, but I guess DPS as well.

E: I'm not trying to come across as some sort of garbage player that the pros are mad about the changes catering towards, just honestly asking.

Theoretically they claim it will do extra damage, but there's a good chance it won't be worth it due to the extra delay compared to light ones, yeah. I suppose it depends on if you need sustain or not.

There's always the off-balance stun I guess.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Theoretically they claim it will do extra damage, but there's a good chance it won't be worth it due to the extra delay compared to light ones, yeah. I suppose it depends on if you need sustain or not.

There's always the off-balance stun I guess.
Based on a bunch of people in the feedback thread running parses on the test server, it looks like switching to heavy attack weaving generally lowers DPS because it slows down your skill use. Light attack weaving also gets lower DPS due to the drastic nerf to light damage.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

Gotta get that 100k xp bonus my guy. At least now they're actually doing the dungeon instead of teleporting to Fungal Grotto I, clearing the dungeon in less time than it takes the rest of the group to get to the boss, and dipping out once they get their bonus.

Hmm, i suppose that makes sense. I've seen some super high CP people running rando dungeons. Is there a trick to getting into a dungeon when your not a healer? My Sorcerer can get into Dungeons super fast because I throw on the Restoration staff and wing it. My Templar however is stam and cant pretend to be a healer very well. If I pick Tank or DD I sit in the queue for over an hour.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

g0del posted:

Based on a bunch of people in the feedback thread running parses on the test server, it looks like switching to heavy attack weaving generally lowers DPS because it slows down your skill use. Light attack weaving also gets lower DPS due to the drastic nerf to light damage.

Well, yeah, but it seems like heavy attacks might be preferable in some cases with strong sustain, maybe, just about.

It's possible that the higher ability delays would make it worse than LA still. IIRC around 40-50% of DPS used to come from LA when doing perfect weaving, so with that cut down by almost 80%, well, it's hard to say.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 24, 2020

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Another question for you goons. My Templar hit 50 last night and I've started to very slowly plug away at CP's. Whats the best way to go about it? Just find a new zone and do the zone quest line? I've been enjoying doing pug dungeons but I'm looking at upwards of 10min per dungeon wait when I queue as dps.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you attempt to grind CP you will have a bad time. Just enjoy the content that you find interesting and have fun.

That being said: https://alcasthq.com/eso-grind-guide/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Grinding is the worst. Easiest way to get burned out.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Yeah doing quests and dailies is the best way to get to 160. Not rushing it helps too, b/c of the daily cp xp boost.

It's a little more meaningful to concentrate on getting to 160 than on cp grinding after, to be fair. The jump in power is pretty significant, though it will take a bit longer than getting to 50 in the first place.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Okidoki! Thanks for the tips guys. I wans't planning on trying to grind mobs anyways, like you all said its pretty boring. I'll run dungeons and switch between alts and stuff and just get there the old fashioned way.

Though I do need to figure out new gear. All the stuff i'm using is from shortly after release, at lvl 40 lol.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

GreenNight posted:

Grinding is the worst. Easiest way to get burned out.

Seems like the perfect time to get Master Angler.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

Well, yeah, but it seems like heavy attacks might be preferable in some cases with strong sustain, maybe, just about.

It's possible that the higher ability delays would make it worse than LA still. IIRC around 40-50% of DPS used to come from LA when doing perfect weaving, so with that cut down by almost 80%, well, it's hard to say.
Yeah, there might be times that doing a heavy weave might be better than a light weave now. I'm just frustrated that (at least initially), it seems like they've nerfed high end damage. I haven't personally tried it myself, but I can't recall ever seeing an MMO nerf high end players damage without also nerfing the low end players damage (where I am in this game). And I'm not sure that their stated goals are even possible without removing the ability to animation cancel altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I just started this last week, knew next to nothing about it and have been having a blast. I'm not working off any guides or anything and while I'm sure it's not an ideal way to level a character at least I'm not burning out.

I'm starting to get ocd with items though, I have no idea what to keep/sell. I did manage to find out that some crafting motif's can be worth a lot, but is there anything else to be on the lookout for? For example, on another forum someone posted a pic of some staff they got for sorcerer and I guess it was really amazing. It looked completely average to me and had I found it I'm sure I would've sold it. Also, the stat's on high level items I see people post look barely higher than the stuff I'm finding? Also, urn's seem to be worth always checking, but what about barrels, baskets, crates etc.

Not sure what I'm missing with items but this has been a real pleasure to play. I didn't think I'd like the actiony combat but it is really, really fun.

Essential fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 25, 2020