Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The beginning of the latest riff, Lady Mobster, is kind of weird. The head mobster gives a timeline of 15 years and then they make a point of giving the little girl a big scar on her cheek and then when it gets to the "present" it has been 20 years and the scar is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dont worry Im sure that will be explained in Lady Mobster 2: Girl Mobster

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

muscles like this! posted:

The beginning of the latest riff, Lady Mobster, is kind of weird. The head mobster gives a timeline of 15 years and then they make a point of giving the little girl a big scar on her cheek and then when it gets to the "present" it has been 20 years and the scar is gone.

I wouldn't be shocked if the explanation was in the twenty minutes or so they cut from the movie before they riffed it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Maby Lobster is a superior movie IMHO

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it a buy it ASAP riff or a buy it on sale Riff in a week or two riff?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's very dull in my opinion, I would not recommend.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I like the new Hijacked Flight 285 but I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunities to point out how much 90s Anthony Michael Hall looks like 90s Michael J Nelson

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was definitely weird to see transitional period Anthony Michael Hall where he wasn't looking like a kid but still hadn't turned into the adult version yet.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The kickstarter has one of the Amityville VIP pledges available, if anyone was hoping to get that

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Listening to the Moon People episodes on 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, the bland dialog and blow-by-blow coverage of the protagonist's daily life makes it feel like they're reading the book version of Birdemic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was watching an older riff, The Bride and the Beast and man, it was loving WEIRD. It stars Brak from This Island Earth as a great white hunter who gets married. There's this bizarre subplot about the wife having a past life as a gorilla that has NOTHING to do with the rest of the movie which is about the hunter and his wife going to Africa and observing a bunch of stock footage.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Gnome de plume posted:

Listening to the Moon People episodes on 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, the bland dialog and blow-by-blow coverage of the protagonist's daily life makes it feel like they're reading the book version of Birdemic.

So, if I'm a Mike Nelson fan will I enjoy this podcast without having read the terrible book?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I haven't read a single one of the terrible books they've done, and the podcast is still excellent.

Though I'll admit, Shadow Moon sounded so painful that even only getting it secondhand from them was rough going. Sean Penn's second book probably would have been a step up in quality.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It's a good podcast. Though if Connor starts talking and it seems like he's going to be a while, go ahead and fast forward. You won't miss anything.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Cool thanks! I didn't even realize they were doing other books I thought it was only Ready Player One.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Some of the books they did make Ready Player One look like goddamn Shakespeare.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

By popular demand posted:

Some of the books they did make Ready Player One look like goddamn Shakespeare.

Armada, for instance.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I haven't read a single one of the terrible books they've done, and the podcast is still excellent.

Though I'll admit, Shadow Moon sounded so painful that even only getting it secondhand from them was rough going. Sean Penn's second book probably would have been a step up in quality.

I haven't read the latest book yet but Shadow Moon was the hardest to get through by far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Velvet Smooth sure has a crazy ending. Also it is one of those movies where the main character's involvement seems completely unnecessary.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Breadallelogram posted:

I haven't read the latest book yet but Shadow Moon was the hardest to get through by far.

Moon People is nice and easy. Short and completely stupid.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Velvet Smooth feels like a movie that had a very talented fight choreographer, but nobody in the cast (outside of the pool cue guy) was in any way talented enough to pull it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fight choreographer was the guy who played King (the numbers guy with the afro/rattail combo.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part of Julie and Jack where the movie reveals that all the dates happen in VR was hilarious. "What? WHAT? WHAT?"

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

^ There's a special place in my heart for Julie and Jack. It truly stands out among bad movies IMO in the gulf between the concept he was reaching for and the execution. It is kinda agonizing to watch on a moment-to-moment basis though.

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Oh no, I need to listen to this now! I had all three of those books sitting on my shelves in high school (and I ostensibly read them at some point!) but it's one of the few books where I don't even have a vague recollection of what it was about, like even in the broadest sense. Now that I'm looking at the description apparently it was a Willow tie-in and the only thing I remember from that movie is Val Kilmer, so maybe that's why it didn't land.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The RiffTrax kickstarter is about to end, and there is a Hobgoblins VIP spot available for anyone interested

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 21, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chomposaur posted:

^ There's a special place in my heart for Julie and Jack. It truly stands out among bad movies IMO in the gulf between the concept he was reaching for and the execution. It is kinda agonizing to watch on a moment-to-moment basis though.

The back half of the movie which is just Jack going to some place and getting a flashback about Julie is just so poorly done. Just flashback after flashback after flashback and none of them actually do a good job of saying anything important.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new riff, Ninja Warlord is one of those old Chinese martial arts movies set during the Japanese occupation. So lots of tasteful portrayals of the Japanese, including the very odd choice of instead of having Japanese soldiers wear uniforms they're all dressed in karate gi.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

muscles like this! posted:

The new riff, Ninja Warlord is one of those old Chinese martial arts movies set during the Japanese occupation. So lots of tasteful portrayals of the Japanese, including the very odd choice of instead of having Japanese soldiers wear uniforms they're all dressed in karate gi.

And again they've chopped fifteen or so minutes out of the film.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I hastily assembled this as a response to people saying RiffTrax Live's movie offerings decline every year. Here it is updated with 2020's results:

2020: 2 ($225,000, 8,446 backers pledged $475,595)

2019: 3 ($250,000, 8,618 backers pledged $539,351)

2018: 2 ($250,000, 9,436 backers pledged $501,807)

2017: 2* ($250,000, 8,602 backers pledged $430,620)

2016: 3** ($225,000, 11,686 backers pledged $620,999)

2015: 4 ($75,000, 3,842 backers pledged $250,303)

2014: 4 ($100,000, 4,887 backers pledged $265,011)

*) 2 movies + Summer Shorts Beach Party
**) 3 movies + MST3K Reunion Show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ninja Warlord, there's no ninja and there's no warlord.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And again they've chopped fifteen or so minutes out of the film.

Is that good or bad?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Quicksilver6 posted:

Is that good or bad?

It's bad. They aren't even cutting for offensive content, they're just lopping bits out at random as far as I can tell. They started doing that a few years ago and there's no drat reason I can figure out for it in most cases.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Maybe it’s hard to be funny in certain segments? I can imagine some areas just not having good material.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I still think it's entirely plausible that is the version of the film that was available for licensing. Like it's not rifftrax itself doing the editing. TV edits for time and the like

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Quicksilver6 posted:

Maybe it’s hard to be funny in certain segments? I can imagine some areas just not having good material.

I'm probably weird, but I feel like it's important to show the original filmmaker's incredibly incompetent vision in full. I've always seen MST3K/Rifftrax as both a celebration of really bad art and a vehicle for comedy. I know MST3K cut stuff for time/content (like the girl who gets raped and murdered in I think Sidehackers), but I love watching that MST3K (Cinema Edition) channel on youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0OWWbUlGv8Zb14I1N9FcL_NKJL2xGSek ) where you get the unabridged movie with the riffs thrown in.

If we can watch Setting Up a Room, I find it hard to believe that there's less compelling things to edit out of any other movie.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I love that Cinema Edition channel too, but from watching movies there I understand why stuff gets cut. A lot of it is not very nice to women or just straight out racist *cough*taxi-driver-in-time-chasers* cough* and it really kills the goofy, kid friendly vibe they're going for.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

the racist taxi driver was a hilarious scene and I'm glad they included it in the live show

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Tangentially related to Rifftrax: Bill Corbett is in the latest Dollop podcast.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

By popular demand posted:

Tangentially related to Rifftrax: Bill Corbett is in the latest Dollop podcast.

Oh I keep meaning to check out that podcast and forgetting. I love Bill :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Lovely But Deadly

quote:

Lovely But Deadly starts off fairly straightforward: a logger suffers an accident in Idaho so he sends his son to live with his wealthy aunt in California, where he succumbs to the temptation of drugs and swims into the ocean in search of a tuna, causing his sister to also move from Idaho and enroll in his high school to get revenge on the drug dealer by shoving his mouth full of homemade drugs at the prom, which does not kill him but somehow causes him to hang himself once he gets to the hospital.

From there it gets kinda weird.

For example, there’s Javelin, the teenage coffeehouse troubadour who is also a worldwide shipping magnate. There’s also George’s boss from Seinfeld acting all horny, a boat chase involving colorful dinghies, and a dude named Gomorrah. All in all, it’s your standard 80s high school drug movie made by people who have never heard of high school, drugs, or the 80s. Please join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for Lovely But Deadly!

Written by: Mike Nelson, Conor Lastowka and Sean Thomason

Contributing Writers: Jason Miller and Zachary Shatzer