Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Nemo2342 posted:

Ok, I think I may be dumb but I just figured out that the order the left and right d-pad uses for cycling through tools is the order they appear in your inventory.

So you can change the order by moving them around! Now I can go right from axe to net when the wasps pop up.

Also helpful: You can configure the item ring any way you want. I reassigned the pole to down and the net to up, so I always know where they are. It makes walking across the island and catching critters just so much easier. For hunting tarantulas for example, it's best to keep a non-comittal item like the pole in hand, and then switch to the net when you're ready to tango.

When shaking trees, I just keep the net at the ready, though. There is just not enough time when the wasps are coming to get you.

stev posted:

People really seem to be expecting to be at the endgame after less than 48 hours. Huh.

Yeah, the game isn't even getting started. I think powering through all the nook miles is just gonna tire people out. Like, that catching 50 fish thing is clearly not intended for the first week of play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Echophonic posted:

I got one of those earlier, too! Also got this fancy island!

wtf that rules

i've had a few islands i went to that were real cool and i wish i could save them and go back. maybe someday with an update we can save one as a private getaway or something.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Oh God all of you are coming at once

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

JosefStalinator posted:

Oh God all of you are coming at once

Yeah. I'm Noodle BTW. Have peaches on my island.

gently caress I didn't actually bring peaches. Sorry!!

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2020

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yo why can I change clothes when I open my mini fridge

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

JosefStalinator posted:

Invite code if peeps want cherries, I have cherries, oranges, apples, and coconuts but need the other two!

6PB91

Come visit The Gulag

I love gulags! I'll bring some peaches for you and hopefully snag a few oranges.

Ha, or not, looks like you're getting deluged.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I got one of those earlier, too! Also got this fancy island!

That's so cool! I'm setting up a flower zone near a pond in my town, it could really use some of those blues!!

Frankston posted:

Yo why can I change clothes when I open my mini fridge

A fridge is just a dresser with aggressive air conditioning.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll close the gate shortly, but I will gladly take any donations of peaches or pears

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm not sure if the best way to make friends is to post my ID here or just go down the spreadsheet and add people? This thread goes fast as heck.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

You can post your dodo code, seems to work if you're trying to visit in the moment

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I may have just unlocked ladders, if everyone stops joining for a sec ill see if i can get the recipe or some for you guys

EDIT: khajit has ladders if you have wood

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

JosefStalinator posted:

Invite code if peeps want cherries, I have cherries, oranges, apples, and coconuts but need the other two!

6PB91

Come visit The Gulag

Dunno if you still needed them, but I dropped you some pears. Bought myself some Cherries from your store.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm still just starting out in my tent but here's my code:

SW-4195-7700-0623

Anyone feel free to add me, I used to play with some of y'all in the previous games :)

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay

I am having a good time

videogame is v. good

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

cw: cheating!

There's a dupe trick that works really well with that handy Nintendo Switch you're gifted in-game to amass a ton of bells super early in the game. Think hard before proceeding, because slowly paying your loans and upgrading your house is a big part of the charm of Animal Crossing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So, my initial city plan was to keep these first buildings grouped together and build a kind of plaza around them. I knew they would occlude one another to some degree, but there's always a way for a game to phase foreground elements out, right? Well, here's how it looks during the store celebration. There's even a photo opportunity they announce but it's still the Museum tent.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Since you can poop in this game, you really should be able to eat some fruit, visit a friend's island, dig a hole in the ground, and then leave them a present.

Maybe with a later patch...

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone visiting the gulag, feel free to take ladders, but I ran out of wood for more.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Is this game a metroidvania?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the fruit and visiting The Gulag!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Scholtz posted:

Once you encounter an impassable wall, you have to backtrack through somebody else's island

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I need to get things settled before I open the doors.

Scholtz posted:

Basically, yeah.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I was island excursioning and got 2 villagers invited. I passed on the third one, Piper, because I wanted to see if I could get better. What an idiot I was. Got nothing but rejects after that.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Goddamn I ended up with 14,000 Nook Miles at the end of Day 3, and that's after taking a rando island trip earlier.

Got all 3 houses furnished, does this mean I'll have new villagers tomorrow?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I went to three islands, only talked to one villager (Skye), and now Tom Nook has me setting up three houses. Weird.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Qubee posted:

I'm having a real hard time making money, and Nook Tickets are an absolute grind. I went to my first exotic island and it net me about 6,000 Bells. I'm walking around in underwear and a vest cause I can't afford anything snazzy or stylish, I put my bells towards trees / flowers and my tickets towards flights. I have the pocket and tool wheel upgrade. Any tips?

stuff that sells real good early on are hermit crabs. they are 1000 bells apiece. as long as you don't run everywhere like a madman they are super easy to catch before they even start moving. also if you visit someone else's island take some fruits with you to sell. if your friend's island is a different type you can sell each fruit for 500 bells apiece.

regarding you only finding 4-5 different species of fish, that's weird. does the location (USA, Europe, SA, etc) you pick at the beginning of the game affect what you can get and when?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

First off, I would like to apologize to Infinitum, but more importantly the entire thread. In my carelessness of not reading their whole post, I did not say "please" when requesting the gang tag. Though inadvertently, I brought rude vibes into the thread, and for that I am sorry.

Now then, I have an apple island, and already have some cherries and coconuts growing. Would anyone with pears, peaches, or oranges like to stop by? I'd really appreciate 3 of each fruit!

My dodo code is D79FD.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This game's got a bit of that modded Minecraft "my inventory's constantly half-full of garbage I might or might not need" vibe.

Scholtz posted:

First off, I would like to apologize to Infinitum, but more importantly the entire thread. In my carelessness of not reading their whole post, I did not say "please" when requesting the gang tag. Though inadvertently, I brought rude vibes into the thread, and for that I am sorry.

Now then, I have an apple island, and already have some cherries and coconuts growing. Would anyone with pears, peaches, or oranges like to stop by? I'd really appreciate 3 of each fruit!

My dodo code is D79FD.

I'll bring you a few peaches.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also a couple of AC newcomer questions:

1) can you move houses after you set them?
2) i see people growing different fruit trees. Do I have to visit someone's island and take the whole tree, or planting the fruit works?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

lezard_valeth posted:

Also a couple of AC newcomer questions:

1) can you move houses after you set them?
2) i see people growing different fruit trees. Do I have to visit someone's island and take the whole tree, or planting the fruit works?

Yeah, I think you can move stuff later for a Bell charge. And fruit can be either way. You can either do it from burying a piece of fruit or by moving the tree wholesale.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Jesus Christ, there's already a duplication glitch... :ohdear:

https://youtu.be/1nXbVU-z2lU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

I went to three islands, only talked to one villager (Skye), and now Tom Nook has me setting up three houses. Weird.

Yeah, I talked to 2 and then got the house set up.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

Sorry if it's been said already but

Blathers can repeat his wikipedia dialogue if you bring him another of the items for him to look over! It's not a one-time thing!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Jesus Christ, there's already a duplication glitch... :ohdear:

https://youtu.be/1nXbVU-z2lU
Hopefully they patch it soon. Although honestly thanks to nook miles and the DIY system, infinite bells can only get you so far. A giant house in a few days, sure, but you'll still need to grind for everything else with the plebes. Unless this duplicates iron ore? Which I don't think it does.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
JTJD9

Come Frolic

E: Gate closed due to RONAVIRUS

Annath fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 22, 2020

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hopefully they patch it soon. Although honestly thanks to nook miles and the DIY system, infinite bells can only get you so far. A giant house in a few days, sure, but you'll still need to grind for everything else with the plebes. Unless this duplicates iron ore? Which I don't think it does.

It's a slow burn, but I totally dig it. Bells really can't buy you everything, and that's okay.

Thing is, I'd rather use this glitch for people who love completing their entire catalog and not for any other practical purpose.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

loving. Tarantulas. Ugh.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Martytoof posted:

I told him next time I see him he’d better have my money.

He didn’t listen.

That poor guy's like the leaning tower of piza. Everyone's gotta take a picture of them with their axe out.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
idk if this was posted or not but :lol:

https://twitter.com/thestains_a/status/1240711944367009794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard

5er posted:

loving. Tarantulas. Ugh.

Wasps and tarantulas got nerfed pretty hard in this game. First night on the island, I saw a tarantula, walked up to it, and caught it, and that was that.

The next day, I shook a tree, wasps came out, turned to my side, and caught it with my net. I didn't act super fast or anything.

When I was playing with my husband and we shook a wasp hive, I managed to run around a tree about five times before he was able to catch it himself. I would've gotten stung within a seconds in any previous game.

I am...okay with this?

Unless you're this person.