Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beamed posted:

i guess everyone who doesnt understand disks and windows is a pile of garbage then

if you don't understand disks and windows,
are trying to fix your own computer,
are doing something stupid,
and are getting mad at the errors it's throwing for your own good,

then yeah you're kinda being garbagey yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

it was a user name pun but i'm pretty sure trying to understand whatever you're referencing broke my brain

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

lol why would someone have more than one dick

and the thread is complete

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

in a world without disks and windows, who needs uh darn it

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm sure everyone remembers the dumb login bypasses via the help file browser on XP and 98, right?

but that's been a while ago Windows 10 is a modern operating system and all

turns out lol no (watch the whole process it's p. fun)

e: now I'm also sure this is old news to some folks on here, and there's probably a simple way to protect against it, but still

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 20, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Private Speech posted:

I'm sure everyone remembers the dumb login bypasses via the help file browser on XP and 98, right?

e: now I'm also sure this is old news to some folks on here, and there's probably a simple way to protect against it, but still

get this, he could have saved himself 20 loving minutes by just loading the recovery environment, launching regedit from the command prompt, loading the SAM hive, and re-enabling the default administrator account, which by default has no password.

if you have physical access to the machine and bitlocker isn't enabled, you own the machine

the simple way to protect against it is to enable bitlocker and don't save the loving key on an unencrypted drive on the same system

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

yeah I thought bitlocker might stop it, wasn't quite sure though, I don't really know much about the internals of windows

either way I thought the whole install driver folder browsing thing was pretty funny and rather retro

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Private Speech posted:

Password protection without disk encryption is not intended to protect against extended physical access to the computer. The existance of a recovery mode with disk access is not a security flaw or a design oversight.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it seems a bit silly, I suppose ultimately you can always just pull out the drive or (w/o a locked down bios) boot off a live usb disk but still

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Private Speech posted:

yeah I thought bitlocker might stop it, wasn't quite sure though, I don't really know much about the internals of windows

either way I thought the whole install driver folder browsing thing was pretty funny and rather retro

it is kinda, but the steps he took to get there are like a million times longer than what it takes to do the same job if you already have access to the recovery environment.

his method was like a rube goldberg machine. he could have done literally the same "hack" using the command prompt the recovery console gives you, it's one step, he just doesn't appear to know it's there, but somehow figured this nonsense out

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

humm I thought that one might be limited or protected somehow, it's a bit dumb to go the extra length that's the case yeah. I've never really used the repair environment beyond installing some unsigned drivers at one point

also thought there's probably a keyboard shortcut to boot into the recovery thing, the whole reset bit was a bit silly too, though I suppose he might not have had a keyboard on hand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the repair environment is basically just a minwin system with a custom shell, as long as it has read write access to the volume the os is installed on (and it does, by default) you can do anything on the volume the os is installed on.

you can also reboot the system fifteen times to get to the system restore loader to do the same job, but there's no real reason to and it's the same system underneath

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i appreciate that guy's ear rending voice and workbench though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i cannot listen to eevblog dave at all. 60 seconds and i'm out

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

same

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Private Speech posted:

lol i remember doing that same process years ago on a lovely vista machine except i swapped osk.exe with cmd.

also dave is good at electronics but very bad at computer

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

It doesn't help that he repeats himself 5 times on average. His videos could be cut down to a third and have the same content.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://instagram.fybz2-2.fna.fbcdn...20342617e09910b

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
worse than eevblog

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that looks like a drat good ad agency. there's some kind of operating system involved as well i guess, but i am pretty sure it is a pos.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

only 2 billion to go

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lmao why does microsoft always use this exact lovely type of music

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel pepped up

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i wanna own so much wandows now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

remember dubstep microsoft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXUS7LNyk0A

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pram posted:

echinopsis posted:

I feel pepped up

the system works

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pram posted:

It's kinda like the annoying drummers at the park!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats the cheesiest/syrupyiest windows short film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ&t=342s

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

idk but this is the cringiest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

in the way that english has countless synonyms of "disgusting", do we have anything better or more potent than cringe as a word

because that video is actually difficult to watch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"excruciating" and "agonizing" both circle around that area

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I reckon using two words at once will make it easier to describe what I mean at least compared to one word

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

oh songsmith

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

echinopsis posted:

I reckon using two words at once will make it easier to describe what I mean at least compared to one word

soul rending

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also how has no one posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHTUlF7NA2o

note: for demonstrative purposes only, pls dont probe for anime

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the official browser of weeb NEETs

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

this is my fav, where you use hololens to hold a business meeting with a gamer who takes you all into minecraft and this helps, somehow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MqGrF6JaOM

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPv8PPl7ANU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ&t=342s

just a commercial but this almost sent me into a diabetic coma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHNp-5yNKaE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

just a commercial but this almost sent me into a diabetic coma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHNp-5yNKaE
In 2009 they could have a commercial with a girl making an ad using silly animal pictures.
In 2019 they could have just straight up used the slideshow girl made as the commercial and nobody would think anything of it.
In 2020 we're all dead.