Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

shrike82 posted:

1. the virus is going to disproportionately kill poor boomers who'd be more amenable to left politics.

2. AOC has no MSM or mainstream voter reach - she won a primary with 15,000 votes. the reason why most people here are big on her is because she's popular in online/young circles.

Aoc was a nearly-literal defibrillator to Bernie's campaign during a time where Warren was growing like a blockage in his heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Gyges posted:

Which politicians are more popular than Bernie?
Obama by 10%
https://today.yougov.com/ratings/politics/popularity/politicians/all

Now you can say that you were talking about current politicians but Biden is the guy who kept talking about trying to continue Obama's presidency.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

Obama by 10%

Now you can say that you were talking about current politicians but Biden is the guy who kept talking about trying to continue Obama's presidency.

Evidently that can only get Biden so far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Obama by 10%

Yes, clearly I was talking about the only guy in the top 4 who is both eligible to be President in 2020 and not defying death through the power of peanuts and house building.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

Evidently that can only get Biden so far.

Well, he is polling better against Trump than Bernie.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-6250.html

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's not what we're talking about, though. You said this:

quote:

Also Bernie is not the most popular politician in the country, and is only 5% ahead of Biden.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I felt like there was more trepidation about Bernie succeeding in his plans than worry he wouldn’t actually be able to pass most of it in its current form. Scare tactics work :shrug:

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

That's not what we're talking about, though. You said this:

Yeah and I already linked to those polls in a previous post.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah and I already linked to those polls in a previous post.

I'm not sure what point you think you're making, but it's not a very good one.

In any case, would you please back up the following claims you made with actual evidence and not just speculation?

There are much more reasonable explanations. While Bernie's ideas may have sometimes won, people saw a lot of evidence that Bernie would not be able to implement anything as president in both the two post office names meme and that Justice Democrats did very poorly in 2018.

quote:

People also felt that Bernie blew off concerns about a transition to M4A.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
The amount of leftists I am seeing online on Twitter, Facebook and even here relishing the possibility for mass deaths in the older age bracket because their candidate didn't win is seriously disturbing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Dark Project posted:

The amount of leftists I am seeing online on Twitter, Facebook and even here relishing the possibility for mass deaths in the older age bracket because their candidate didn't win is seriously disturbing.

Were you as disturbed before Bernie didn't win? Because the internet has been salivating for Boomer death since at least 2008.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

To be honest, yes, it's never been a good thing. It's tantamount to supporting eugenics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's them or us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

gently caress you, no it isn't.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Dark Project posted:

You realize that it's not just leftists who do that, right? Libs do it at least as often.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Dark Project posted:

No one is reveling in anything right now, fuckface.

Musing at the possibility that old people might face tepid comeuppance after decades of rigging the system in their favor and pulling up the ladder behind them (and destroying the planet to boot) is to be expected when *checks watch* we are all staring armageddon in the loving face.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Dark Project posted:

There is catharsis in the idea that those who are responsible for the suffering that will come from the global pandemic will also die from it.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Got any examples? Because with all the leftists I follow on Twitter and elsewhere, the number of people I see either saying this directly, or retweeting poo poo like this has grown substantially. And I really wish they'd knock it off. Same goes for any self styled Liberals who feel the same way.

HootTheOwl posted:

There is catharsis in the idea that those who are responsible for the suffering that will come from the global pandemic will also die from it.

Also dumb, because this is predicated on people acting as a unified age-group monolith, whose only thought is to harm those younger than they are. This is a poisonous mindset to take on.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 22, 2020

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Dark Project posted:

gently caress you, no it isn't.

The voting patterns of age groups in the current primary disagree with you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

On one hand, I really do want to agree with you. Yes, it's distasteful.

But on the other hand, this is about as close to poetic justice as we're going to get. These are the same people who laugh and campaign on and toast each other's champagne glasses at young people being unable to afford health care (and other basic necessities) and dying as a result. They gleefully mocked and cheered as programs that would benefit younger people were summarily ignored and abandoned once the right lobbying bribes reached the right hands.
They weren't shedding any tears when they weren't the ones at risk, so right or wrong, it's really hard to feel any sympathy now that the other shoe is dropping on them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Dark Project posted:

Got any examples?

Boomers literally flourished in the most fertile socioeconomic soil in human history and proceeded to salt it the moment anyone else stood to benefit from it.

They can gently caress off to the Rainbow Bridge now and forever, if that is what SARS-COV-2 decides.

LET THEM FIGHT

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 22, 2020

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

We interrupt the generational salt to bring you:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/puerto-rico-postpones-presidential-primary-140734
We got 2 weeks. Anything can happen but it probably won't.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Majorian posted:

I'm not sure what point you think you're making, but it's not a very good one.

In any case, would you please back up the following claims you made with actual evidence and not just speculation?

1. I corrected a false, baseless claim.

2. Just a couple of articles on how some of the cost claims were incorrect. Whether or not you agree with these, other people did read them and others like them.

https://khn.org/news/bernie-sanders-embraces-a-new-study-that-lowers-medicare-for-alls-price-tag-but-skepticism-abounds/

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/2/26/21153775/democratic-debate-bernie-sanders-medicare-for-all-yale-study

It is speculation, but people do remember that ACA took almost 2 years to pass with a much more friendly senate and Obama got along with Democrats much better than Sanders.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The voting patterns of age groups in the current primary disagree with you.

Again, this is predicated on the idea that older people not voting for Bernie means that they deliberately want to cause harm to younger generations of people. Which is dumb.

the_steve posted:

But on the other hand, this is about as close to poetic justice as we're going to get. These are the same people who laugh and campaign on and toast each other's champagne glasses at young people being unable to afford health care (and other basic necessities) and dying as a result. They gleefully mocked and cheered as programs that would benefit younger people were summarily ignored and abandoned once the right lobbying bribes reached the right hands.
They weren't shedding any tears when they weren't the ones at risk, so right or wrong, it's really hard to feel any sympathy now that the other shoe is dropping on them.

Who exactly has been toasting champagne glasses at this? Where exactly have you been hearing any of this? Are you suggesting all older demographics of people get together, have parties and cheer about the demise of the youth? I don't think I've ever heard anything literally as dumb as this.

I wanted Bernie to win, but Jesus Christ, the rhetoric being tossed around in this situation has gone beyond distasteful to openly advocating mass death. One which is indiscriminate as to who it kills. I am much closer to the breadline than a majority of the posters here, and even I don't want to see unnecessary death being used as a cudgel to achieve political aims.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

The Dark Project posted:

The fact of the matter is that between Boomers and younger voters (Millennial) only one of those two groups is actively voting in positions of power the kind of people that want to do actual, demonstrable harm to others. The radical leftist politicians being voted in aren't advocating hateful, spiteful, or oppressive policies.

Until leftists start voting in politicians that in favor of policies that would cause mass Boomer deaths, I think you need to stop worrying about it. It's millennials venting online, who cares.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Bizarro Watt posted:

The fact of the matter is that between Boomers and younger voters (Millennial) only one of those two groups is actively voting in positions of power the kind of people that want to do actual, demonstrable harm to others. The radical leftist politicians being voted in aren't advocating hateful, spiteful, or oppressive policies.

Until leftists start voting in politicians that in favor of policies that would cause mass Boomer deaths, I think you need to stop worrying about it. It's millennials venting online, who cares.

Because the way policies are advocated matters. So if you have a bunch of people who say "we need to have these policies pass in order to ensure a better future for all" and are also saying "man, I can't wait for the boomers to all die off from Corona Virus!", you're less likely to have people believe you that you're intending to make a better world for everyone. That's why it matters.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao he is absolutely dead or dying

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
People can lecture leftists about "craving mass Boomer death" or whatever, but, uh, it wasn't Bernie Sanders or anyone on the left encouraging voters to physically show up to the polls, that was Joe Biden, so... weird redirect of where actual righteous anger should be aimed at, in my opinion.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Dark Project posted:

Because the way policies are advocated matters. So if you have a bunch of people who say "we need to have these policies pass in order to ensure a better future for all" and are also saying "man, I can't wait for the boomers to all die off from Corona Virus!", you're less likely to have people believe you that you're intending to make a better world for everyone. That's why it matters.

Asking politely for the powerful to abdicate the status quo in favor of social change has literally never worked in human history so

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Asking politely for the powerful to abdicate the status quo in favor of social change has literally never worked in human history so

Advocating for or cheering for the death of those who you consider an impediment to your political aspirations sure has seen a lot of use, though.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Dark Project posted:

Oh noooooo, not the people who vote against univeral healthcare and a fair wage and labor rights and trans rights and election reform and lobbying reform and student debt relief and not droning hospitals and not chaining up innocent men in blacksite torture centers and not putting immigrant babies in cages and not gunning down journalists and laughing about it from your AC130 and not encouraging the Zionist domination of the Palestinian state, etc etc etc do i really have to keep doing this bit? There's a million dead in the middle east that can't hear your whiny lib cries for :decorum:

I'm not hoping they all get COVID-19 and keel over, but gently caress I'll be happy when the "greatest generation" and the "silent generation" and the loving Baby Boomers are gone.

Someday someone will be happy my generation is dying out, and my goal is to make sure it's because we weren't left enough for them.

edit: a word

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Dark Project posted:

Advocating for or cheering for the death of those who you consider an impediment to your political aspirations sure has seen a lot of use, though.

lol boomers turned out en masse to intentionally ensure the abject destruction of their children and grandchildren but lets not even slightly muse at a mildly ironic turn of events when statistics (and nature) turn to bite them in the loving cardiopulmonary system because that would be uncouth

are you seriously invoking the holocaust to a tepid online use of 'boomer remover' or 'boomer doomer?'

boomer spotted. :siren:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

lol boomers turned out en masse to intentionally ensure the abject destruction of their children and grandchildren but lets not even slightly muse at a mildly ironic turn of events when statistics (and nature) turn to bite them in the loving cardiopulmonary system because that would be uncouth

Yeah, no Boomer turned out to vote because of this.

Also, GenX, not a Boomer. Also poor and voting consistently much more to the left than you could ever hope to in your lifetime.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Joe Biden's social media accounts obviously are him and not just staffers.

Are we going to be living through Weekend at Biden's, because that would be a little ironic.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Dark Project posted:

Yeah, no Boomer turned out to vote because of this.

oh sweet summer child......

let me tuck you in a blanket and pour you a hot cocoa and tell you a story of reaganomics and third-way democrats

The Dark Project posted:

Also, GenX, not a Boomer. Also poor and voting consistently much more to the left than you could ever hope to in your lifetime.

Stop selling. Also bold assumptions.

thanks for proving that GenX sucks just as much as loving boomers though.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

oh sweet summer child......

let me tuck you in a blanket and pour you a hot cocoa and tell you a story of reaganomics and third-way democrats

Yeah I lived through those eras, and I know what caused those voting patterns and the way propaganda works.

quote:

Stop selling. Also bold assumptions.

Nah, I actually have.

quote:

thanks for proving that GenX sucks just as much as loving boomers though.

You sound like a person who lives at home with their parents and gets pissy when they don't get exactly what they wanted for Christmas.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Dark Project posted:

Also poor and voting consistently much more to the left than you could ever hope to in your lifetime.
This is such a weird brag. What are you voting for? Like every 4 years you rock up to the polls and scribble "Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism" into the write-in box for your county treasurer or whatever?
gently caress dog, I wish I was as cool as you.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

spouse posted:

This is such a weird brag. What are you voting for? Like every 4 years you rock up to the polls and scribble "Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism" into the write-in box for your county treasurer or whatever?
gently caress dog, I wish I was as cool as you.

Yes, because as we know everyone in the world ever is an American.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A social media intern forgot to change accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Another Gen Xer that Boomers hollowed out and turned into a sock puppet.