Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/mkurtz91/status/1241199419971833856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Beginning to think Mike is kinda dumb as hell yall

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

STAC Goat posted:

I can say with complete confidence I have never masturbated to WWE programing nor any wrestling tv show.

Does WWE losing 2/3 of its value over the past year count as "WWE programming"

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

What am I missing here contextually?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What am I missing here contextually?

Vice TV is airing a documentary on the Benoit murders.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Also Mike Kurtz doesn't know what glorify means

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't seen it but I assume the first half of the story of a greatly talented and celebrated wrestler who suffered brain damage and did something tragically horrible is that he was a greatly talented wrestler and that weirdo things that's a problem instead of just accurate storytelling.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Vice TV is airing a documentary on the Benoit murders.

Ahhh I see. Is it tonally appropriate? That kinda thing is REALLY hard to do well. I'm assuming it is because you posted that here but just curious.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Ahhh I see. Is it tonally appropriate? That kinda thing is REALLY hard to do well. I'm assuming it is because you posted that here but just curious.
At least from part 1? Yes.

Also: I'm sorry. This one was too much for me. I had to:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1241587804397846528

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

STAC Goat posted:

I can say with complete confidence I have never masturbated to WWE programing nor any wrestling tv show.

STAC Goat =/= Vince McMahon. Now I just need to find a way to rule out the other 203,000 registered users till I can track Vince down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

He's always asking for people to come at him.

They pay him to be controversial.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen it but I assume the first half of the story of a greatly talented and celebrated wrestler who suffered brain damage and did something tragically horrible is that he was a greatly talented wrestler and that weirdo things that's a problem instead of just accurate storytelling.

I watched a 2002-era match posted in the GOAT thread that was Benoit, Angle, Mysterio, and Edge. Maybe it was because I knew what was going to happen in 5 years, but Benoit looked like an actual ball of barely-contained anger. Like actually angry, wrestlers generally aren't good enough actors to be that convincing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I watched a 2002-era match posted in the GOAT thread that was Benoit, Angle, Mysterio, and Edge. Maybe it was because I knew what was going to happen in 5 years, but Benoit looked like an actual ball of barely-contained anger. Like actually angry, wrestlers generally aren't good enough actors to be that convincing.

Benoit's style was always incredibly stiff and intense, which yeah, can be tough to digest after what he did without wondering where the line is. The guy's nicknames were "Crippler" and "Wolverine." Benoit was my absolute favorite wrestler for a long time and I can still watch his matches if they come up, but there's definitely an extra hurdle in "appreciating" him without the reality of his life creeping in.

I mean, if you really want to be freaked out by art/life try watching some of those Benoit/Woman/Sullivan vignettes. poo poo's messed up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

He's always asking for people to come at him.

Oh come on, nobody's paying him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

davidbix posted:

Oh come on, nobody's paying him.

He's pulling down that sick WWE stock money.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Benoit's style was always incredibly stiff and intense, which yeah, can be tough to digest after what he did without wondering where the line is. The guy's nicknames were "Crippler" and "Wolverine."

I think these are just things we see in hindsight. Nearly everyone in WWE has a suspicious-seeming persona if it turns out they murdered someone. Fellow wifebeater Steve Austin's character is based on a serial killer. Dean Ambrose was "unstable". Randy Orton has intermittent violent outbreaks or something. Don't even get me started on Bray.

Loads of guys work as stiff or stiffer too. But I think what you can watch back with context it's how he began to look and behave from around Eddie's death onward. Someone more industrious than me might even be able to pinpoint it down to a particularly bad head bump where things started to go downhill.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its why I can't remotely enjoy Steve Austin now because his whole thing is being a drunk who constantly assaults people for small things like "dropping his beer" and... yikes. But for me at least its probably a case of past and future. I can't enjoy 2020 Steve Austin because he's a drunken wife abuser and his gimmick basically glorifies it. But I can still enjoy 1994 Steve Austin because to the best of my knowledge that guy hadn't assaulted any women and his act doesn't nod to it in any way.

Benoit's a complicated case because his entire career was stiff and sadistic. So the fact that things went the way they did, and further that we have stories of him doing sadistic stuff before the murders starts to lean into that "glorifying" thing or blurred line. Benoit probably wasn't always a truly violent man but like when fiction became reality is complete guesswork and that can make it odd.

So yeah, if Randy Orton went crazy and killed someone it would make his entire career real loving weird. If John Cena did it would still be weird but in a totally different way because his character was so different to that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Nearly everyone in WWE has a suspicious-seeming persona if it turns out they murdered someone. Dean Ambrose was "unstable".

Neil Diamond Cutter had it coming

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

flashy_mcflash posted:

Fellow wifebeater Steve Austin's character is based on a serial killer.
This gets overplayed: The character when they started to repackage The Ringmaster was based on a serial killer. The Steve Austin that got over was not based on a serial killer, even if the "Stone Cold" nickname quickly stopped making sense.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, its why I can't remotely enjoy Steve Austin now because his whole thing is being a drunk who constantly assaults people for small things like "dropping his beer" and... yikes. But for me at least its probably a case of past and future. I can't enjoy 2020 Steve Austin because he's a drunken wife abuser and his gimmick basically glorifies it. But I can still enjoy 1994 Steve Austin because to the best of my knowledge that guy hadn't assaulted any women and his act doesn't nod to it in any way.

Benoit's a complicated case because his entire career was stiff and sadistic. So the fact that things went the way they did, and further that we have stories of him doing sadistic stuff before the murders starts to lean into that "glorifying" thing or blurred line. Benoit probably wasn't always a truly violent man but like when fiction became reality is complete guesswork and that can make it odd.

So yeah, if Randy Orton went crazy and killed someone it would make his entire career real loving weird. If John Cena did it would still be weird but in a totally different way because his character was so different to that.
Just to hammer it home: Benoit also killed his kid *with his pro wrestling finishing hold*, as ridiculous as it sounds. It makes him SO much harder to watch.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jericho narrated the doc and has always been extremely open about his conflicting feelings on Benoit, since he was a close friend for so long. Same with Malenko and Chavo and Vickie and JR, who had prominent speaking roles. We also got to hear from Benoit's living son and Nancy's sister, both of whom provided a unique perspective on his life and their experiences with him that we don't hear very often when talking about this story.

People who think that Part 1 "glorified" Benoit either didn't watch it or are acting in bad faith.

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 22, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Benne posted:

Jericho narrated the doc and has always been extremely open about his conflicting feelings on Benoit, since he was a close friend for so long. Same with Malenko and Chavo and Vickie and JR, who had prominent speaking roles. We also got to hear from Benoit's living son and Nancy's sister, both of whom provided a unique perspective on his life and their experiences with him that we don't hear very often when talking about this story.

People who think that Part 1 "glorified" Benoit either didn't watch it or are acting in bad faith.
...I think he's just a massive idiot? It's a documentary series. Called DARK SIDE OF THE RING. I have no idea what he's expecting or why.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

davidbix posted:

This gets overplayed: The character when they started to repackage The Ringmaster was based on a serial killer. The Steve Austin that got over was not based on a serial killer, even if the "Stone Cold" nickname quickly stopped making sense.

are you meaning to tell me that the first incarnation of the Stone Cold Steve Austin character was meant to be reminiscent of Richard Kuklinski

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Who's "they" in this context?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

davidbix posted:

...I think he's just a massive idiot? It's a documentary series. Called DARK SIDE OF THE RING. I have no idea what he's expecting or why.

Well yeah Kurtz is definitely an idiot, but I've seen that same "glorifying" take from other people who should know better, including in this forum.

Maybe it's just the context that's throwing people off a bit. Benoit was a massively talented wrestler considered one of the greatest of all time, with widespread respect and admiration in both the business and the fandom. You can't tell his story without talking about how he was once universally beloved, and Part 1 was all about contextualizing those feelings with the people who got interviewed, before ending on a cliffhanger with the police visiting his home and Vince's meeting with talent announcing his death.

Based on what I saw so far, I'm pretty confident Part 2 won't have kid gloves.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Benne posted:

Also blatantly ignoring the fact that if there's a part 1 there'll be a part 2

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My wife is very into the My Favorite Murder type true crime stuff and the issue comes up a lot of what is discussing a horrible person versus what is glorifying them. There's a line between fascination with monsters and fandom of monsters that some people get a bit too close to. And some people hop over without a second thought. There are Ted Bundy fans who would blow your mind.

From what I've seen the Vice documentary doesn't even approach this line, but it's a thing to be aware of.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Alaois posted:

are you meaning to tell me that the first incarnation of the Stone Cold Steve Austin character was meant to be reminiscent of Richard Kuklinski
He's been open about this for a very long time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

davidbix posted:

He's been open about this for a very long time.

In his documentary it's the reason he got all those stupid ice based names to choose from. I know you know, but for those that didn't.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Kinda funny that Austin based his gimmick (however loosely) on a Hitman

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

davidbix posted:

Dammit Bix, you touched the poop.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WWEthink is that even mentioning Chris Benoit existed is a bridge too far.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what

https://twitter.com/SoDuTw/status/1240009025783320578

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rovert doesn't want to name any wrestlers with COVID-19 because he doesn't actually know any, but the fake news MSWM (mainstream wrestlemedia) might name some, violating HIPAA, a thing he doesn't know what it is or who it applies to.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shut the gently caress up about rovert already you bite me

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is the Chris Regal Memorial Thread for Stupid Wrestling Fan Opinions, it's perfectly on topic.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don't think that twitterer knows what complex is

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
HIPPA

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I swear to God he did the same HIPPA thing here at one point too.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/Glenn1wolves/status/1242191532444258304?s=20

No, you see Boris Johnson has been handling this catastrophe just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rovert doesn't know that HIPAA doesn't apply to journalists, because he isn't one despite how much he pretends he is.

Source: am journalist