Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Bad day for me, but all my duders are facing each other so that's a given.

I thought they were gonna replay Enho's and Asanoyama's match considering yesterday's replay, but I guess this time they went for the letter of the law. Hell of a final day tho, a Yokozuna final to make up for last basho's weirdness, Asanoyama still has a shot at Ozeki and Mitakeumi could start a run...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

There's a decent chance that Asanoyama could get Ozeki if he wins on Day 15. Usually 32 is one win short, but they are desperate for a 2nd Ozeki, he's won a yusho, and came damned close on Day 14, so the grumpy old men might be able to talk themselves into it. He absolutely has to win his last match though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brut posted:

I believe that's the 41st Shikimori Inosuke

Though him and Kimura Tamajiro look a lot alike so I might be getting confused.

No, you're right. Tamajiro is the one who always like slightly peeved to be having to gyoji, like he's missing some good TV for this poo poo, ugh.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Rigel posted:

There's a decent chance that Asanoyama could get Ozeki if he wins on Day 15. Usually 32 is one win short, but they are desperate for a 2nd Ozeki, he's won a yusho, and came damned close on Day 14, so the grumpy old men might be able to talk themselves into it. He absolutely has to win his last match though.

Keep in mind that there have to be two wrestlers that are Ozeki or higher. With both Yokozuna looking at retirement in the near future, and Takakeisho possibly getting a losing record, I can see them relaxing the promotion criteria to shore up the ranks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also, Asanoyama is demonstrably a skilled wrestler. Would like to see a touch more consistency, but he's at least as good in that regard as any y/o we've had in the last 3 years.

Day 14 standings:

code:
43.5	anakha
36	Banana Canada
38.5	bartolimu
44.5	Bentai
44.5	bessantj
42	Charles Gnarwin
51	Dias
49	GoatSeeGuy
43	ilmucche
41.5	jmzero
43	Jobbo_Fett
49	Kenning
47	Lid
31	LlamaTrauma
42	Maigius
37	Marching Powder
38	Martytoof
43	pseudodragon
42.5	QuasiQuack
33	riderchop
32	Robviously
43.5	Scythe
51	sivad
35	Spokes
41	whats for dinner
Fantasy is during out to be a nail-biter! We've got Dias and sivad tied for the lead, with GoatSeeGuy and myself two points behind in second. Tomorrow is a big day!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 22, 2020

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Asanoyama loss was a heartbreaker because anything less high amplitude and Kakuryu would have touched down first. Doing too cool of a throw could cost him ozeki if the grumpy old men are extra grumpy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The Asanoyama loss was a heartbreaker because anything less high amplitude and Kakuryu would have touched down first. Doing too cool of a throw could cost him ozeki if the grumpy old men are extra grumpy.

i heard that they found the kakuryu match very satisfactory despite the ruling. that said beating takakeisho tonight is non-negotiable - doubly so considering the basho he's had thus far

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Enho taking a lesson from kakuryu yesterday and just launching himself into the air as soon as he hits the nage lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
poor chiyomaru. he tried so hard and went through so much and only just missed out on his kk.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lower 5 divisions winners:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

The sanyaku soroibumi was pretty good, no-one really out of sync for a change.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

congrats to probably new ozeki thesonofyama. he had a good basho and deserved it. and i guess, congratulations hakuho on your 44th yusho. that is just a loving insane number and shouldn't exist.

sick basho. i had a lot of fun and in was genuinely interesting to see it with no crowd, though i will certainly welcome their return!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The grumpy old men who run sumo called for a special meeting shortly after Asanoyama won. Everyone is pretty much saying its a done deal, they need 2 Ozeki, and he's their man.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The discussion between the English commentators at the end of the event raised a question for me.

For any of you living in Japan and seeing how things are on the ground, did citizens view the decision to go ahead with the basho as a good one?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

anakha posted:

The discussion between the English commentators at the end of the event raised a question for me.

For any of you living in Japan and seeing how things are on the ground, did citizens view the decision to go ahead with the basho as a good one?

i mean this as no substitute for first hand experience but from what i've gathered it's viewed as an inspiring piece of relative normalcy in a trying time. they took extremely prudent and stringent measures to protect the citizenry and the rikishi (as evidenced by what happened with chiyomaru) and the seeming overall success of the tournament is quite a loving achievement in and of itself.

i'd be stunned to hear it wasn't received well on the ground.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Brut posted:

Lower 5 divisions winners:

i draft mullet man for every tournament in the future and none of you can stop me

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

If you undid their top-knots, wouldn't they all be mullet men? Sideburns on the far right must be a relative newbie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Awwww, so close. Goddamnit, Aoiyama

Despite the weirdness this was a good basho.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Dias posted:

Goddamnit, Aoiyama

Despite my valiant Ishiura defeating the dreaded Aoiyama (jk he's my boy too), I think Aoiyama won the Gino-sho, which means you'd beat me...

Great basho!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

This was a really good Basho, even if my fantasy team did me no favors. Lots of good sumo though and already looking forward to next basho

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
is there going to be a next basho? :/

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

If the gods will it, then there will be.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Crazy basho, but very satisfying! Good to see a nice, technical yokozuna bout to finish it up with. Also, congrats to shin-ozeki Asanoyama, he's earned it!.

Final results:

code:
46	anakha
39	Banana Canada
39	bartolimu
54.5	Bentai
53.5	bessantj
48.5	Charles Gnarwin
60	Dias
57	GoatSeeGuy
48.5	ilmucche
49	jmzero
52	Jobbo_Fett
57	Kenning
54	Lid
37	LlamaTrauma
46	Maigius
43	Marching Powder
44.5	Martytoof
50.5	pseudodragon
48	QuasiQuack
34	riderchop
35.5	Robviously
47	Scythe
61	sivad
43.5	Spokes
50.5	whats for dinner
The mk/kk are in, the yusho, jun-yusho, and sansho are calculated, and sivad with the dream team is our new Yokogoona. Someone should contact a mod to see if they can get their gang tag updated. It was a nail-biter, with Dias just one point off in second place. The following goons managed to draft teams with no make-koshi: Dias, GoatSeeGuy, Kenning, Lid, and sivad.

This has been a really fun fantasy tournament! I'm gonna keep updating my spreadsheet to make it even easier to use for next time, when I hope we get even more people involved. Thanks goons!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 22, 2020

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
YESSSS I GOT LAST PLACE EAT poo poo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

sivad got last place in Hatsu, so maybe you're due for a good one!

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

What a weird and exciting basho! That match between Hakuho and Kakuryu was insane and even though I had Hakuho on my fantasy team, I was really pulling for Kakuryu after his performance during the tournament.

Thanks very much for running the fantasy tournament, Kenning. All those other goons who said you get a lot more out of the tournament when you've got a fantasy team were right. Really looking forward to the May basho!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i was stoked to get to see kakuryu's sumo this basho. he fights completely differently to hakuho but they really are a cut above basically everyone else. beating them really is an achievement. they are wonderful athletes.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i was stoked to get to see kakuryu's sumo this basho. he fights completely differently to hakuho but they really are a cut above basically everyone else. beating them really is an achievement. they are wonderful athletes.

The best bit about the Hak-Kak fight was the beautiful cross fade camera work in the build up.

They showed the last time they met, which had some really good jockeying for hand positions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRonGb-jdJQ&t=294s

And looking for that one, I found this one, which is pretty cool too. We'll probably get more of these fights as Hakuho is not the Hakuho of a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Kc1-7L8Xc&t=282s

And some Hakuho at his prime, shortly before his body started to give (also the basho I actually attended). So much power at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9jAnHovY6g&t=299s

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
This was a great first full basho to follow and I cannot wait to have a fantasy team next time around

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Congrats to Asanoyama as we will have a second Ozeki for May or whenever the hell the next basho will be.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/03/23/sumo/asanoyama-achieves-goal-promotion-sumos-second-highest-rank/#.XnjqkxwBWVY.link

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Was finally able to catch up on this after a busy week.

Hakuho on day 10 went down like a final boss being defeated, that was amazing.

So bummed for Chiyomaru, to be forced out for two days and come that close to still getting a KK.

Both Yokozuna looked to be in great form this basho, I hope their injury troubles are over.

I'm happy for Asanoyama. I really worried that the grouchy elders would have held firm on 33 wins despite the complete lack of other candidates.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Beeswax posted:

at least Kakuryu got another nice win. Love that man and his weird, impassive face

Same reason why I always liked Myogiryu.

riderchop posted:

YESSSS I GOT LAST PLACE EAT poo poo

We need a Hattorizakura gang tag

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 23, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I think by nature of even scoring 5 points you've done better than hattorizakura does

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I think by nature of even scoring 5 points you've done better than hattorizakura does

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but this Basho was the second time Hattorizakura got to fight 8 times instead of 7. (0-8 both times)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I knew my run was too good to be true and its only my first time watching any of this stuff but dang, I'm liking these big burly bastards bumping bellies.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but this Basho was the second time Hattorizakura got to fight 8 times instead of 7. (0-8 both times)

One day he will retire and someone will do a video compilation of all his wins. Imagine being in that video.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bessantj posted:

One day he will retire and someone will do a video compilation of all his wins. Imagine being in that video.

lol

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

What are you taking at Over/Under 4.5 career wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

bessantj posted:

It's like how Glass Joe in the Punch-out games is 1-99.