Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol the ft chart talks racistly about Japan naturally self isolating and wearing masks when out and about as a reason for their low numbers but 50k people queued to see the Olympic torch. They're just not testing people

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1241464031958970368?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

Been up all night, so decided to pop along to the shops and get some milk.

Poked my head in the freezer section, and the only pizzas left untouched were the ham and pineapple. I think it's an omen.

A load of people have mentioned this. The argument is finally settled.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Angepain posted:

my flatmate told me he's gone to a friend's house this evening and when he gets back I will have to very thoroughly resist the urge to demand he justify why he didn't use skype like i'm some kind of social distance police

having a great old time

they’re loving
hth

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Jippa posted:

A load of people have mentioned this. The argument is finally settled.

British public wrong about nearly everything, survey shows

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

It's the exception that proves the rule.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

Lol the ft chart talks racistly about Japan naturally self isolating and wearing masks when out and about as a reason for their low numbers but 50k people queued to see the Olympic torch. They're just not testing people

Wouldn't we expect the death curve to differ in shape from the cases curve if that was the case, like ours?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jaete posted:

i wonder how risky cycling (in central London) would be, virus-catching-wise

probably not too risky i guess if you don't touch your face. i've been sitting indoors for two days straight now and this poo poo sucks

safer than cycling normally is cos there’s bugger all traffic

assuming you have no symptoms, or other cause to be required to self-isolate?
go for it. exercise will help you get through this.
keep a respectful distance if you’re stopped at a junction with others.

combine it with a groceries run so it’s not totally frivolous

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Assuming he has mortgages. He might own all outright.

Funny joke

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MarinaHyde/status/1241641429090414592

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

pumpinglemma posted:

Those carrots look steamed to me. Since when is it a working-class thing to buy a dedicated piece of cookware to make vegetables taste worse and blander than they would have done roasted, fried, or cooked in any other way including raw?

You can steam carrots in the microwave, just clingfilm them into a bowl and then leave them to stand after a few minutes of microwaving. Works on most veg. Don't even need to add water since there's usually enough moisture in them anyway.

Keeps ask the flavour in unlike boiling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/amhitchens/status/1241633227787337728?s=20

"Shut the gently caress up uncle, you're just trying to get attention" is the content I enjoy

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Found this linked to in a tweet, it's a spreadsheet of UK businesses and their actions (good or bad) during this crisis:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fEedCEuymNYlzkHdcEhymNkBO451FgVx84k5Fwpv9P8/edit#gid=0

Kinda pleased to learn that the only companies on there I deal with regularly are non-poo poo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

It's the proof that proves the rule.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

While I 100% believe this it's Cummings being thrown under the bus for the government's strategy

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Welp:

https://twitter.com/lokinhei/status/1241220936906338304?s=21

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

While I 100% believe this it's Cummings being thrown under the bus for the government's strategy

At some point Bozza Legernd is going to run out of human shields

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Wouldn't we expect the death curve to differ in shape from the cases curve if that was the case, like ours?

It's generally suspected that they're attributing most of their deaths to regular pneumonia because they aren't loving testing, and a bunch of Japanese folks I follow are waiting for the other shoe to drop because the government has done sod-all.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the Japanese government are desperately trying to keep the Olympics alive and don't give a poo poo about anything else. Which makes sense because Abe is a fascist

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pesky Splinter posted:

Been up all night, so decided to pop along to the shops and get some milk.

Poked my head in the freezer section, and the only pizzas left untouched were the ham and pineapple. I think it's an omen.

It's a good time for people with contrarian food preferences to go shopping I guess, all your Dave's will be left untouched.

Currently pondering if there'll be more or less Easter eggs sold this year, and how many discount eggs to budget for

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

All the various potted and tinned fish products and weirder vegetables were still available in Sainsbury's yesterday while the beans and such were cleaned out

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/amhitchens/status/1241633227787337728?s=20

"Shut the gently caress up uncle, you're just trying to get attention" is the content I enjoy
He does present (though maybe not consciously) an interesting case, once you untangle it and think it through.

We're giving such wonderful people as Priti Patel and Cressid, a Dick, sweeping powers without associated review and accountability.
The ordinary member of the public is going to think that this is fair and proportional, right up until the moment that it is applied to them, in which case they are going to think it is bullshit.
Therefore it's not outlandish to assume that the burden of these laws will fall disproportionately on the poorest and most marginalized.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

He does present (though maybe not consciously) an interesting case, once you untangle it and think it through.

We're giving such wonderful people as Priti Patel and Cressid, a Dick, sweeping powers without associated review and accountability.
The ordinary member of the public is going to think that this is fair and proportional, right up until the moment that it is applied to them, in which case they are going to think it is bullshit.
Therefore it's not outlandish to assume that the burden of these laws will fall disproportionately on the poorest and most marginalized.

I'm annoyed the conspiracy types haven't yet started using the term "Reichstag Virus", but nowadays they all think that a military takeover of the US would be a good thing so they can arrest Hillary. I know the libertarian Right were only ever a step from enthusiastic fascists, but I had no idea the step would be so short. Credit to Hitchens (and half-credit to Alex Jones) for keeping their worldviews consistent at least.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I don't believe this tbqh

You don't go to the trouble of engaging in one of history's most incredible epidemic responses, shutting down a whole city and building hospitals in days, only to get the thing under control then shrug and say well that's enough of that time to shoot ourselves directly in the face.

There are many in the West and West-aligned states (Taiwan, Japan, large sections of Hong Kong) who are just absolutely loath to credit the PRC with anything. It's always something sinister, or misleading propaganda, or whatever. Or maybe China just did it right and got the situation under control as a result.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/LizzyBuchan/status/1241661852914012160?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't believe this tbqh

You don't go to the trouble of engaging in one of history's most incredible epidemic responses, shutting down a whole city and building hospitals in days, only to get the thing under control then shrug and say well that's enough of that time to shoot ourselves directly in the face.

There are many in the West and West-aligned states (Taiwan, Japan, large sections of Hong Kong) who are just absolutely loath to credit the PRC with anything. It's always something sinister, or misleading propaganda, or whatever. Or maybe China just did it right and got the situation under control as a result.

Conversely China's economy has been hurt the worst by this and there are just as many numberfuckers there as there are in the west. I see nothing inconsistent between them denying the scale of the problem at the beginning and denying the scale of the problem now.

I'm not saying this is what they're doing, but I am saying it's certainly not impossible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

A good twitter thread on how people aren't actually bulk buying
https://twitter.com/Greg_Callus/status/1241507788376989698?s=19

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

well of course dom would deny it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

If this story is anything to go by, we're in for an absolute nightmare

(Excerpts in OP's post if you don't want to click the link)

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/JoMicheII/status/1241464428169703424

I missed this at the time. Another name for the list of people that need to be put on trial

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If this story is anything to go by, we're in for an absolute nightmare

(Excerpts in OP's post if you don't want to click the link)

I just read that, and it’s grim.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

Good points made. I also think everyone who is off work is hitting the supermarkets first thing instead of spread out through the day as normal. This gives the impression that everyone is going nuts and doesn't give people enough to time to restock the shelves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look I don't know what else you expect the national infection service to do, the clue's in the name!!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Luckily it’s so easy to win a libel case in the uk provided there is no evidence that the claim is in fact true that are man Dom will be suing post haste, right? Or maybe he won’t because he knows it’ll lose in court and then it’s a matter of public record that he wanted all pensioners to die.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I wonder if this will remain relatively concentrated in London and the South East, or if we'll see similar numbers throughout the country in a couple weeks. I guess the capital's density, centralised economic areas where more people work, and cramped public transit does not work in its favour here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I was thinking exactly this when I was doing my shop yesterday - I was laying in extra food because I'm no longer eating 5 lunches and 2 or 3 breakfasts a week outside the house, so my weekly shop was almost double what it normally is.

Doesn't explain why there were no light bulbs though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Conversely China's economy has been hurt the worst by this and there are just as many numberfuckers there as there are in the west. I see nothing inconsistent between them denying the scale of the problem at the beginning and denying the scale of the problem now.

I'm not saying this is what they're doing, but I am saying it's certainly not impossible.

There will definitely some higher ups in the party saying 'if we can recover from this quicker than the west while they are still flailing then when the dust settles the US will bend the knee to China economically'

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
None of this adds up to suddenly stopping all testing in Wuhan like Dominic Cummings level morons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol the state of UK journalists

https://twitter.com/samisam147/status/1241666559313162241?s=19

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I wonder if this will remain relatively concentrated in London and the South East, or if we'll see similar numbers throughout the country in a couple weeks. I guess the capital's density, centralised economic areas where more people work, and cramped public transit does not work in its favour here.

The West Midlands are only a day or two behind London, with the top of the industrial coffin (Liverpool-Manchester-S. Yorks conurbation) and the north east only a week behind that. If you take London out of the equation the rest of England is *still* more densely-populated (and interconnected in terms of people travelling for work and leisure) than northern Italy. Everyone outside London apparently treating yesterday as a bank holiday will probably close that gap a bit more too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The West Midlands are only a day or two behind London, with the top of the industrial coffin (Liverpool-Manchester-S. Yorks conurbation) and the north east only a week behind that. If you take London out of the equation the rest of England is *still* more densely-populated (and interconnected in terms of people travelling for work and leisure) than northern Italy. Everyone outside London apparently treating yesterday as a bank holiday will probably close that gap a bit more too.

Out of the frying pan into the fire, superb