Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Doctor Reynolds posted:

What was everyone's favourite moment in the game? Excluding the ending, karaoke and the dance off, as those are easy answers!

"But we are the police..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kim, you don't understand. I really need to make the gently caress.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Failing the Savoir Faire check to sneak away from Garte, I was laughing for a solid five minutes at that

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

At last the typo fixes have arrived. Just in time to re-savor the best game about collapse during the actual collapse

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Reporting your badge and the Esprit de Corps followup to that.

Though the autopsy was also great, with Physical Instrument being a surprisingly helpful bro all throughout as you dig the bullet out of their brain.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

What was everyone's favourite moment in the game? Excluding the ending, karaoke and the dance off, as those are easy answers!

Mine is Kim's exasperation at Harry being right about there being something special about that shipping container. Imagining what's going through his head is very amusing.

Sticking my thumb up my rear end.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Turning Egg into a Communist.

A few key lines like, "we're in a tree right now aren't we!?"

Every dream sequence.

Working Class Woman.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

Been a while so I might be misremembering, but the last time I talked to Cuno he was all (paraphrased) heard you got between some poo poo and got shot, squealing and crying like a little piggy.

So I guess that's what's cool now.

And he 100% meant that last bit sincerly, bless :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Roctavian posted:

So this is some socially-excluded quarantine brain speaking, but has anyone else noticed how Disco Elysium and Detective Pikachu have major similarities? Both feature an amnesiac supercop named Harry who is trying to discover secrets about himself to heal an emotional rift with a close loved one; a more sober-minded partner who is frequently exasperated by the antics of the primary investigator; AND OF COURSE cryptids. I'm trying to reconcile the governmental systems from both fictions but it seems like the ultraliberals and moralists rule the Pokemon universe. Anyway what kind of pokemon would the characters from DE have with them?

Well, now I'm not going to be able to unsee that. At least Pokemon has free healthcare.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

video is missing the fact that its totally justified :colbert:

ItsDisposable posted:

Been a while so I might be misremembering, but the last time I talked to Cuno he was all (paraphrased) heard you got between some poo poo and got shot, squealing and crying like a little piggy.

So I guess that's what's cool now.

And he 100% meant that last bit sincerly, bless :3:

the cun's in his kingdom, all's right with the world

i ended up with a nearly 50gb folder of screenshots from my playthrough :shobon:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Describing the perfect sandwich to the increasingly excited Gaston, who asks "can it be done?"

*dramatically look into the horizon* "no, such a sandwich can never be"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
chilling at the wrecked car with Kim

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

chilling at the wrecked car with Kim

Same

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This and dying immediately of a heart attack while trying to grab your tie sold me on the game immediately.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Everything that happened in the church was great, fantastic atmosphere through that whole section.

Playing board games with Kim :3:

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
i love any and every point in the game where you pick dumb poo poo to say and kim actually thinks its funny or plays along

Turpitude II fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 21, 2020

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I just finished the game tonight. God, what an ending and leadup to it. I had made my cop a 4/3/2/3 cop for balance with thoughts that boosted learning caps, and I'm glad for it. The tribunal scene tensed me up so badly, even with maxed hand/eye and reaction speed, and the ending with the Deserter and the phasmid were both wonderful. I didn't even mind that it was a bit of a divergence from standard detective "guidelines" having the murderer be someone unconnected to the case. He was connected to the city's past, and history never forgets. One moment that made me really glad I had invested points in Shivers (because of said balanced cop) was during the church danceoff when Harry passes out and the city reveals she will die in 22 years due to an atomic bomb being dropped on it. gently caress the Moralintern and the ultraliberals. Kim's cool though, even if he is a self-described moralist.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Olive Branch posted:

I didn't even mind that it was a bit of a divergence from standard detective "guidelines" having the murderer be someone unconnected to the case.

Somebody a while back posted an interesting article that discussed how DE basically went down the list of the rules of detective stories and very deliberately broke every single one of them

e: here it is https://medium.com/@alastairhadden/a-storm-is-blowing-from-paradise-disco-elysium-on-the-past-and-present-e2fff5d629be

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 21, 2020

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Learning the necktie's true name is another favorite moment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Finished it myself. Great game. I take it Harry's history changes depending on what you did in the game?

Very beautiful. Very sad.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Samovar posted:

Finished it myself. Great game. I take it Harry's history changes depending on what you did in the game?

Very beautiful. Very sad.

Nope.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Huh.

Btw, I remember hearing how some moderate commentators didn't quite like this game (one of the major reasons why I knew I wanted to get it), does anyone have a good link about them? I could do with a dark laugh.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Olive Branch posted:

during the church danceoff when Harry passes out and the city reveals she will die in 22 years due to an atomic bomb being dropped on it.

Wait, what

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Samovar posted:

Huh.

Btw, I remember hearing how some moderate commentators didn't quite like this game (one of the major reasons why I knew I wanted to get it), does anyone have a good link about them? I could do with a dark laugh.

Like waypoint?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Beamed posted:

Wait, what
The check in that huge event was a high-point passive. La Revacholiere begs you, officer of the RCM, to protect her. Maybe it could be because I was playing a schizophrenic cop who answered many line possible to collect multiple ideological and personality points, and that I also had the opportunity to internalize the apocalyptic Thought (I didn't), but the City, or my Shivers, believed it would be attacked again, maybe during the Return, with nuclear weapons.

Edit: Here is a video. I'm on my phone, but you can forward to 5:39 where the City begins to speak to Harry. https://youtu.be/KbbBd5myZ0M

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 21, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JamMasterJim posted:

Like waypoint?

Calling Waypoint "moderate" would be kind of a stretch, but also they ended up really liking it. The main reason one of them was kind of down on it at first was that it seemed relentlessly cynical about every political philosophy without offering any kind of alternative answer (and seemingly ignoring options to facilitate this), but by the end of the game that person, while still somewhat holding that position, ended up really enjoying the game and finding counterpoints to their initial response. They did a whole spoilercast on it that I haven't listened to in full but what I heard was mostly gushing praise.

Anyway, I'm not sure I've ever seen a better dialogue option than "It could have been multiple seagulls."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turpitude II posted:

i love any and every point in the game where you pick dumb poo poo to say and kim actually thinks its funny or plays along

I think this is one of the elements that makes Kim endearing. They could have easily written him as a stick-up-his-rear end straightman but instead a lot of the time he responds to your weirdness with "alright, let's see where this goes".

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this is one of the elements that makes Kim endearing. They could have easily written him as a stick-up-his-rear end straightman but instead a lot of the time he responds to your weirdness with "alright, let's see where this goes".

And then when threatening the Racist Lorry Driver to identify the drug smuggler Kim takes the lead on the creative police tactics, and Harry gets to play along. One of my favorite moments.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

All excellent answers! I'm thinking this might be one of them good video games...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I really liked about this game was the ways in which the world was different and yet there were enough context clues to get a basic underlying idea of what these differences ARE, e.g. Oranje being not-Nederlands, etc., while at the same time not being stupid? At the risk of sounding stupid (so I'll really try to write this out well), I found this most obvious in the racial slurs that were used in this game. In too many other fictional settings, the slurs are very... put-on; they don't sound realistic, but in this game, even though they aren't used in real life, you could easily imagine the sound, or understand the 'logic' behind them, like loincloth or coin-slot.

Its that type of logical inference that's used throughout most of the game, and that makes it really... well-developed, I feel.

Who knows, maybe I like it because I have facial hair that is regrettably similar to Harry's.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Who knows, maybe I like it because I have facial hair that is regrettably similar to Harry's.

Can you make The Expression though?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have The Expression and I cannot stop.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

Can you make The Expression though?

I can try, but I start suffering severe morale damage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Samovar posted:

I can try, but I start suffering severe morale damage.

Sounds like you need to internalize Magnesium-Based Lifeform.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds like you need to internalize Magnesium-Based Lifeform.

but then I'd have to unlearn ethanol-based lifeform...

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Not sure why people think Waypoint was super down on it, their spoilercast was almost nothing but praise, and Austin admits that his 'problem' with the game not offering a solution is flawed in the same way he himself saying there should be a solution is flawed. https://youtu.be/fuofI9FJ2Rw

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wafflecopper posted:

Somebody a while back posted an interesting article that discussed how DE basically went down the list of the rules of detective stories and very deliberately broke every single one of them

e: here it is https://medium.com/@alastairhadden/a-storm-is-blowing-from-paradise-disco-elysium-on-the-past-and-present-e2fff5d629be

the handshake meme of Disco Elysium and Virtue's Last Reward (which also broke every single Knox's Rule deliberately)

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the handshake meme of Disco Elysium and Virtue's Last Reward (which also broke every single Knox's Rule deliberately)

Knox's list has not aged well...

quote:

“5. No Chinaman must figure in the story.”

No, this list hasn’t aged well, and this item is the clearest indicator yet that Disco Elysium knows the rules it’s breaking. Kim Kitsuragi isn’t a “Chinaman,” of course; he’s a Revacholian of seolite descent. But his centrality to the game’s story feels like a deliberate rebuttal of Knox’s rules. And if this seems too tenuous a connection, consider the racist “Chinaman” mug Harry finds discarded in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(in fairness that was a very poorly/dated phrased way to say "don't use racial caricatures in your story" which is frequently republished without the context)

quote:

V. No Chinaman must figure in the story. Why this should be so I do not know, unless we can find a reason for it in our western habit of assuming that the Celestial is over - equipped in the matter of brains, and under - equipped in the matter of morals. I only offer it as a fact of observation that, if you are turning over the pages of a book and come across some mention of 'the slit - like eyes of Chin Loo', you had best put it down at once; it is bad.