Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Sorry for the double post, but a friend of mine pointed this out to me today. Might be of interest to those who are housebound...

https://explore.org/livecams/aurora-borealis-northern-lights/northern-lights-cam

A live stream of the Northern Lights. Best time is 10 pm to 4 am EST. I've got a six pack of beer and Dark Side of the Moon ready for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I've been playing Yakuza 0 now that it's on XBOne and it's SO GOOD.

Congrats, Yakuza 0 loving owns

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I've still been traveling a lot for work and mostly the only change I've seen is the cops are out more. Local colors. Not state or county. It could be because the state still does in person meetings for its emergency response poo poo(because everyone can claim the time for compensation). Or they're doing the looking tough cop guy poo poo as a coping mechanism. One uni was pumping his gas all twitching around and poo poo. Dude, the end of the world isn't going to start in fuckin Belaruse Indiana or where ever I got lost in. Calm the gently caress down.

the stores and the fast food places are having trouble keeping stock. Which is weird because its mostly cops and big haul trucks on the highways. The burger king I stopped at was drive through only and the people working looked like soldiers in a fox hole. Tired, annoyed, sallow. They screwed up my order all sorts of ways but I didn't complain because they were doing enough. Everyone one of them lookin like they were gettin stomped on by god.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At least y'all are still working. I'm lucky my company was benevolent enough to deign paying me when they shut down for 2 weeks (at least)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Benne posted:

At least y'all are still working. I'm lucky my company was benevolent enough to deign paying me when they shut down for 2 weeks (at least)

one of the joys of living in low population density areas. At least the locals aren't openly wearing their sidearms.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

With 3 states in lockdown it's only a matter of time before the rest follow suit. I think I have enough food to last me for 14 days if it comes to that. I saw toilet paper today and didn't buy any which I am regretting now. But then again I have a bidet so tp tends to last longer :shrug:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Best piece of advice I've been given about this situation so far is this:

Unless you work in a key role (healthcare, emergency services, health research etc) there's not much you can do to make things better at the moment. But there's a lot you can do that will make things worse. So try your best not to add to the stress levels of people in a tough situation.

Honestly the best way for most of us not to add to the stress of others is to stay home, avoid situations that spread infection, and don't fall on the grocery store like locusts every time they put out new loaves of bread. Eat boring meals for a couple of weeks and try not to go stir crazy. The world will come back.

It's kind of hard advice to follow, especially with companies laying people off etc, but it's the best we can do right now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

If I start dying I will try to PM my account details to one of you, and you can act like a stupid piece of poo poo on here, without anyone knowing about your other real account that only posts agreeable and smart things.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Cavauro posted:

If I start dying I will try to PM my account details to one of you, and you can act like a stupid piece of poo poo on here, without anyone knowing about your other real account that only posts agreeable and smart things.

Cavauro posted:

The Bengals deserved to lose the 2016 Wild Card game to the Steelers!

Cavauro posted:

I've decided to admit, I love football...real football! Go Cincinnati FC!

Yeah, I can pull it off.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's nice to finally get credit for that famous post I made, "I'm glad the Bengals lost"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cavauro posted:

it's nice to finally get credit for that famous post I made, "I'm glad the Bengals lost"

That was you? Man, I've been telling people about that post for years without properly attributing it. I am chagrined

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I must be sent free amiibos for recompense

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I love this movie but this is one of my favorite trailers of all time period I remember seeing this trailer before so many movies I rented from blockbuster when I was a kid.

https://youtu.be/AlugldzO9zY

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

So much corruption being exposed right now. Our mall is fining stores for closing and threatening to fire employees who don't come to work. A nearby Adidas factory has a confirmed case and is still not shutting down and has told everyone to come to work. They did however remove chairs from the break room, so people can't "sit too close to each other".

America is a shithole country.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Folks, I saw some stuff today.

I was out walking the dog. There were .... well they were like people, but they weren't on screen. They looked at me, like right at me. And then the spoke and it was like they wanted me to answer them.

Should... should I call someone?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eat My Fuc posted:

So much corruption being exposed right now. Our mall is fining stores for closing and threatening to fire employees who don't come to work. A nearby Adidas factory has a confirmed case and is still not shutting down and has told everyone to come to work. They did however remove chairs from the break room, so people can't "sit too close to each other".

America is a shithole country.

There's a story going around of a nurse in the NHS who has been asked to vacate the premises by his landlord because you'll definitely get the virus so it's not worth it. Trying to force him out today despite the fact it'll be in his rental agreement that there's at least a 28 day notice period.

So it's not just America.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Chicago went on lockdown today, everyone ordered to stay home for non-essential travel. I’m holed up with my SO and I guess this is a practice run for when we start living together in the summer.

It makes no sense at all to spend money but I indulged myself in the new Animal Crossing, I haven’t played one since the GameCube so I’m pretty excited.

On the other hand some friends and I had just started a new theater company a week before the outbreak shut down all theater in Chicago, so that has us pretty bummed.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
im workin in a pharmacy in a metro US area and hooboy is it still extremely worrying how people arent fully grasping the severity of this really. doesnt help people being on edge that a ton of poo poo is hosed up in the supply chain due to previous recalls and now all this so not everyone can get all their meds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I finally got my copy of Parasite and I am really, really loving looking forward to watching it again. It's so good (Best Picture Oscar good!).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you want to see the main son in that movie as a cute lil fella in a cute lil show try hogu's love

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Got Knives Out too, man, today is a good day.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Knives Out is probably going to end up my favourite movie i've watched this year. Brilliant film.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i still have yet to see knives out. no time like a quarantine i guess!

my ps4 kept crashing when i'd try to do maia's companion quest in deadfire last night so heres hoping i can get it done tonight. right now i'm making cookies :discourse:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gonna watch The Host. One more hit from the Bong.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
time to start crossing those animals

edit: in 2.5 hours it will be time to start crossing those animals

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I've moved on from Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall.

When you hit my age, music is the best form of nostalgia.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Trying to set up my home media server still. I’ve got all the hardware installed and I’m frozen when it comes to installing an OS. I’ve changed my mind like three times now between unraid, freenas, and Ubuntu.

Trying to learn about this poo poo is like pure white noise. Ahhhhhh my brain

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I was at the store earlier today and the amount of people just wandering around touching their faces and grabbing stuff that you shouldn't be grabbing was just mindblowing. I grew up in middle of nowhere hell world desert so anxiety forces me to keep at least a months worth of food and supplies and so while I'm out in gloves and a mask boomers are out here basically licking door handles.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I was at the store earlier today and the amount of people just wandering around touching their faces and grabbing stuff that you shouldn't be grabbing was just mindblowing. I grew up in middle of nowhere hell world desert so anxiety forces me to keep at least a months worth of food and supplies and so while I'm out in gloves and a mask boomers are out here basically licking door handles.

Unless you're literally putting on fresh gloves with every new touched surface it defeats the purpose and actually arguably just spreads the virus around on the surfaces, and also the masks don't really prevent things from getting in, just getting out, unless they're the fancy fitted ventilator kinds. Also also one of the reliable sources (I forget exactly which one but one of the trustworthy eggheads about this stuff, not Trump or Pence) has said that with increased research on how long the virus stays on surfaces, viral load, etc., they think with their increased knowledge base it's basically impossible to get it off of a surface unless someone literally coughed on it while you watched and immediately touched it. Okay, probably too hyperbolic but the point is with their increased studies they are more and more convinced that person to person is probably about 99% of the infection vector.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Unless you're literally putting on fresh gloves with every new touched surface it defeats the purpose and actually arguably just spreads the virus around on the surfaces, and also the masks don't really prevent things from getting in, just getting out, unless they're the fancy fitted ventilator kinds. Also also one of the reliable sources (I forget exactly which one but one of the trustworthy eggheads about this stuff, not Trump or Pence) has said that with increased research on how long the virus stays on surfaces, viral load, etc., they think with their increased knowledge base it's basically impossible to get it off of a surface unless someone literally coughed on it while you watched and immediately touched it. Okay, probably too hyperbolic but the point is with their increased studies they are more and more convinced that person to person is probably about 99% of the infection vector.

I have an immune-compromised partner at home recovering from major surgery so I'm gonna go ahead and not take any chances.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I have an immune-compromised partner at home recovering from major surgery so I'm gonna go ahead and not take any chances.

Ah yeah, that makes a lot more sense then. Still, wanted to just make sure I dispensed that information just to hopefully cut down on both misinformation and panic going on. Not necessarily talking to you specifically, just in general.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I don't know if any of that will make you safer but it absolutely wont hurt you and it makes you feel safe so keep doing it. I do recommend giving the gloves a scrub with antibacterial before taking them off if you can. Just helps you keep from spreading to your hands, still wash your hands after taking the gloves off too. Sorry if this is all poo poo you know.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I don't know if any of that will make you safer but it absolutely wont hurt you and it makes you feel safe so keep doing it. I do recommend giving the gloves a scrub with antibacterial before taking them off if you can. Just helps you keep from spreading to your hands, still wash your hands after taking the gloves off too. Sorry if this is all poo poo you know.

I bought a box of like 1000 around 10 years ago (the blue medical ones) and still have many hundreds so I just toss them and hand sanitizer the poo poo outta myself till I can wash my hands properly

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I spent all of Knives Out just vibrating in my seat with giddiness, it’s just such a film fan’s film

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I spent all of Knives Out just vibrating in my seat with giddiness, it’s just such a film fan’s film

I love Chris Evans in it (and everybody else, of course) because goddamn is Captain America having fun playing a complete loving dirtbag :allears:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is Knives Out on any streaming service

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Is Knives Out on any streaming service

Only for purchase/rental as far as I'm aware. But it's worth the rental. Very funny and with some really exquisite performances. My personal favourite is Michael Shannon playing exactly opposite to type.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Lamuella posted:

Only for purchase/rental as far as I'm aware. But it's worth the rental. Very funny and with some really exquisite performances. My personal favourite is Michael Shannon playing exactly opposite to type.

Oh God, the hallway scene where's offering to "help" Marta gave me loving goosebumps.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Its getting a sequel too. Continuing adventures of Det. Blanc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I fear it’ll be like True Detective where they manage to gently caress up everything that was great about the original