Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Are there any good cross platform (iOS Android) video chat apps that allow sharing of a screen as well as a picture in picture for selfie cam?

My kids would love to be able to watch netflix together with their friend(s) in these days of social distancing..

Even without the screen share a facetime analog would be good too.

Zoom is free for now, apparently. Hangouts does the screen share thing. Teams does the screen share thing on iOS and pc. I bet Skype does as well on iOS. TeamViewer/any other vnc app will work as a last resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

priznat posted:

Are there any good cross platform (iOS Android) video chat apps that allow sharing of a screen as well as a picture in picture for selfie cam?

My kids would love to be able to watch netflix together with their friend(s) in these days of social distancing..

Even without the screen share a facetime analog would be good too.

Do they only use their phones? Discord supports streaming from an active window, so someone could “go live” with their browser while watching a Netflix thing and be in a voice chat with a bunch of their friends. Or just text chat.

The seeing other people part would need another app running at the same time, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tuyop posted:

Zoom is free for now, apparently. Hangouts does the screen share thing. Teams does the screen share thing on iOS and pc. I bet Skype does as well on iOS. TeamViewer/any other vnc app will work as a last resort.

Nice, those are good options. I have teams for work but I was thinking having to create an account might be a little much, the kids are 5 and the other kid’s mom is not super computer toucher-y. Zoom probably seems like the best option. They may have an ipad too so facetime will be the easiest (without the screen sharing though)

LODGE NORTH posted:

Do they only use their phones? Discord supports streaming from an active window, so someone could “go live” with their browser while watching a Netflix thing and be in a voice chat with a bunch of their friends. Or just text chat.

The seeing other people part would need another app running at the same time, though.

It’d just be phone or tablet, unfortunately. I am thinking it might be good to invest in some pc webcams though before we start going fully stir crazy..

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tuyop posted:

TeamViewer/any other vnc app will work as a last resort.

Lol team viewer will probably pull their usual ‘account locked for daring to be on a business line’ poo poo.

I installed Jump on all the machines I need and emailed links around the office. Only iOS/MacOS clients cost money but they’re on half price now so I bought the MacOS one to compliment the iOS one I already paid for.

Good thing I tested it as my main machine wasn’t set to wake on lan.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else use Gboard and have an issue with it causing screen flickering lately? Its like the app keeps forcing a screen refresh or something. I'll be in the middle of swipe typing something, it refreshes and I have to start over. It's like every 5 seconds, very annoying.

Edit: fixed my own problem by turning off "allow full access".

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 19, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

tuyop posted:

Please stay away from TeamViewer if you don’t use it professionally, it’s a major vector of scam stuff happening right now.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
What's currently the best ad blocker on iOS?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Supposedly 1blocker but it doesn't seem to actually block much of anything, browsing news stories on the google news website (in safari) still produces pages that are 70% ads.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

1Blocker’s legacy app used to work really well then something broke it and now X doesn’t work at all for me.

I’ve been using AdGuard Pro.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought Better Blocker a while back (on the advice of this thread iirc) and it seems to work okay

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I’ve had 1blocker break a bunch of poo poo, too. I use Firefox Focus and Better now — seems fine.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

Supposedly 1blocker but it doesn't seem to actually block much of anything, browsing news stories on the google news website (in safari) still produces pages that are 70% ads.

Are you sure it’s turned on? I don’t see any ads on Google News.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
1Blocker is good and configurable. It can be aggressive sometimes and break sites. The developer is responsive though. It may take a couple of days for a reply once you reach out about an issue though.
Wipr is pretty good for set it and forget it. It has no customization though. It is less aggressive than 1blocker but I've had it cause site issues as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weedle posted:

Are you sure it’s turned on? I don’t see any ads on Google News.

I think so? All the settings are green and I followed their activation instructions.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to mute notifications from certain apps based on time of day and day of the week? With the assumption I’ll be needing to work from home soon, I might need to get notifications from work on my personal iPhone or iPad, but I’ll be damned if I have that poo poo buzzing me for emails or MS Teams poo poo after 5pm.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

xzzy posted:

I think so? All the settings are green and I followed their activation instructions.

Weird. I just opened a bunch of stories in Safari and didn't see a single ad.

Weedle fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 22, 2020

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a way to mute notifications from certain apps based on time of day and day of the week? With the assumption I’ll be needing to work from home soon, I might need to get notifications from work on my personal iPhone or iPad, but I’ll be damned if I have that poo poo buzzing me for emails or MS Teams poo poo after 5pm.

There isn't an iOS-wide option like this unfortunately. I don't use them at my current job but I used the iOS Outlook/Teams apps at my previous place, and I feel like they had their own options specifically for this. Worth having a dive through the app-specific settings if you haven't already.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Froist posted:

There isn't an iOS-wide option like this unfortunately. I don't use them at my current job but I used the iOS Outlook/Teams apps at my previous place, and I feel like they had their own options specifically for this. Worth having a dive through the app-specific settings if you haven't already.
Will do - thanks!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does anyone else encounter the Fire TV app being completely useless?

I’ll open the app, it’ll connect to the Fire TV, and the buttons won’t do anything. The X to disconnect from the Fire TV does nothing. The Alexa pulldown does nothing. Home button... play button... nothing.

Are fire TV sticks just poo poo, and this is the hard way I find out?

I’ve only got one TV stick in my house right now so it’s not just like a “are you sure you’re connected to the right one?” thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s time for my weekly google bitch session.

YouTube has a dark mode
GMail does not (mine doesn’t yet at least)

YouTube has a blinding loving white splash screen
GMail has a dark mode splash screen but a blinding white in box.

What in the ever loving gently caress.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube has a dark mode

Whinging about Google Dark Mode is so 2019.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube has a dark mode

mine are flipped and ooh, i can’t wait until i get dark mode youtube

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie

Jazz Marimba posted:

mine are flipped and ooh, i can’t wait until i get dark mode youtube

Dark mode for the YouTube app isn't automatic with the system settings and you have to go into the app settings to turn it on

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

XBenedict posted:

Whinging about Google Dark Mode is so 2019.

I’ve had Dark Mode Gmail for like a year now and as of this morning it’s apparently gone?

Edit: Updating to 13.4 brought dark mode back. How strange.

Referee fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 24, 2020

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

USSAr posted:

Dark mode for the YouTube app isn't automatic with the system settings and you have to go into the app settings to turn it on

this is dumb and thank you

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hoping Waze or Google maps gets updated soon to take advantage of carplay home screen with 3rd party apps!

Also wishing my car had the phone as car key functionality, that’d be cool.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

priznat posted:

Hoping Waze or Google maps gets updated soon to take advantage of carplay home screen with 3rd party apps!

Also wishing my car had the phone as car key functionality, that’d be cool.

Given how fast tech moves in the car world we can look forward to it being a feature in a single BMW and all of Kias lineup in 2025.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

Given how fast tech moves in the car world we can look forward to it being a feature in a single BMW and all of Kias lineup in 2025.

Laff, so true. I have a Kia now but the year before their app control thing came out :sigh: remote start would be nice

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My Kia ONLY has remote start through the app and nothing is more frustrating than being able to see your car and wait several minutes for all the communications to happen and be confirmed.

God forbid you left your doors unlocked, you're not getting that car warm any time soon.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Of course we finally get third party gps in the dashboard and CarPlay other enhancements when I haven't driven in two weeks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://blog.darksky.net/

Dark Sky has been acquired by Apple. Website and Android apps are going away in July.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

quote:

We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to reach far more people, with far more impact, than we ever could alone.

*kills Android app*

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I had bought the android app. I hope apple doesn't simplify away the radar maps because that was the only reason I paid for a weather app instead of using the stock one

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

withak posted:

https://blog.darksky.net/

Dark Sky has been acquired by Apple. Website and Android apps are going away in July.

Good on that guy for getting paid, but that sucks for everyone else involved. I wonder what the selling point was beyond the large user base. The only particularly remarkable aspect of the app for me was the crowdsourced reporting from phone barometric sensors, but you’d think they could throw money at that and make their own.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

why throw money at making their own when they can just throw money at one that's already made?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Well I hope they roll the dark sky features out in more places, we never had DS in Canada.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Here's hoping the default weather app gets closer to Dark Sky in terms of pretty accurate next-hour rain reporting etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hopefully not before they get around to integrating Chomp's features into the App store.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hello Weather had a good update the other week but I guess DS will be gone as a source soon. I changed to Aeris anyway to get the pollen details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Red_Fred posted:

Hello Weather had a good update the other week but I guess DS will be gone as a source soon. I changed to Aeris anyway to get the pollen details.

i don’t think many people are going to consider the end of 2021 “soon”