Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are we ever getting Trudeaubucks? (No, we're not)

depends on who you mean by "we"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are we ever getting Trudeaubucks? (No, we're not)

Trudeau is providing "targeted measures" so that only the most loyal Liberal demographics get some Trudeaubucks

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Begins chanting "buckabeer BuckAbeer BUCKABEER"

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Trudeau is providing "targeted measures" so that only the most loyal Liberal demographics get some Trudeaubucks

if Trump shows us up on this, we’ll never be able to say we’re better than the US, Canada’s only cultural touchstone

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Not Canada, but yet another example of why our government's testing policies are insane:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowy/status/1241486423062085632

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Rutibex posted:

Trudeaubuckz but only for ontario

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I went to the local Shoppers Drugmart today and now they have a security guard at the entrance. I guess thats a thing now, we need guards for groceries.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Depending on where you are, it may be more for "X number of customers allowed in the store at once" than it is for fear of toilet paper riots.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

eric ciaramella posted:

Trudeaubuckz but only for ontario

Trudeaubuckz but only redeemable at the LCBO for beer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Randalor posted:

Depending on where you are, it may be more for "X number of customers allowed in the store at once" than it is for fear of toilet paper riots.

Yeah I got that at Jean-Coutu too.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’ve seen it all over, even at Best Buy. They have a clicker like bouncers to check capacity.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

which demographics would those be

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Homeowners

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

the middle class, those working to join it are out of luck at the moment

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I'm glad that the only person I know that's at great risk is my girlfriends mom. She's 75 and has heart and lung issues but is a retired nurse and knows proper sterilization protocols, and is a Mormon so has at least 3 months of food stockpiled in her house at all times.

We'll see her again sometime in September, and she'll probably outlive all of us.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I thought my friends were fine cause they're young and then I remembered I hang out with a disproportionate number of asthmatics.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
There are a comedic amount of tweets right now from media/online commentor personalities in Vancouver who go out into public places like parks and beaches and Kitsilano and take pictues of other people in those public places and post about how nobody seems to be taking social distancing seriously

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"vancouverites aren't following social distancing!" picture of a few dozen couples respecting social distancing by spacing themselves well apart and like one group of 4 people off to one side

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Juul-Whip posted:

"vancouverites aren't following social distancing!" picture of a few dozen couples respecting social distancing by spacing themselves well apart and like one group of 4 people off to one side

It's very important that you not leave your house, unlike in this picture I took this morning outside of my house

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the Content must flow...

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the health minister isnt opposed to locking people up for breaking quarantine and millions still dont know how they're going to pay rent in 8 days. really all you can do is laugh.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

grassroots organizing in parkdale leading the charge on rent strikes

there have been a few rent strikes in parkdale in the last few years, of varying success, to fight above guideline rent increases and hostile landlords, so it'll be interesting to see if this gets any traction

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rutibex posted:

So I went to the local Shoppers Drugmart today and now they have a security guard at the entrance. I guess thats a thing now, we need guards for groceries.

Last time I was at No Frills there were several security guards just minding the checkout aisles.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm probably gonna go outside tomorrow to go buy some stuff I need. Wish me luck.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
im sick as a dog after work made me go in to a meeting to discuss our new procedures for not getting sick during a pandemic. cant get tested because i havent been out of canada. great work everyone glad to be out of a job as well as maybe killing my family and not knowing about it

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

All the grocery delivery services are fully booked for the week here, my area went from dead asleep to loving woke real fast. This week is gonna be rough.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Terces posted:

All the grocery delivery services are fully booked for the week here, my area went from dead asleep to loving woke real fast. This week is gonna be rough.

Its kind of surreal how quickly all of the people around you transform from
"Its just a flu bro" overnight becomes
"Oh God the world is ending, where is the TOILET PAPER?!"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao so yesterday canada reported only 148 new cases, down from 226 the day before

sounds good, right? no more exponential growth!

except those numbers are because british columbia, the most affected province, just didn't report numbers while everywhere else reported steady or increasing growth

so basically what im saying is get ready for a big jump in numbers today as BC reports two days' numbers at once

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

vyelkin posted:

lmao so yesterday canada reported only 148 new cases, down from 226 the day before

sounds good, right? no more exponential growth!

except those numbers are because british columbia, the most affected province, just didn't report numbers while everywhere else reported steady or increasing growth

so basically what im saying is get ready for a big jump in numbers today as BC reports two days' numbers at once

ffs

they need to commit to a shelter-in-place policy right now. I've been really disappointed in the provincial gov'ts response with everything and limiting themselves to half-hearted reactive measures when a citizen reports on our population being stupid assholes.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Randalor posted:

The loblaws near us had a full-on handwashing station like you'd see at an outdoor concert, a spray bottle of disinfectant for the cart handles and a pump sanitizer dispenser. I'm convinced the security guard was there to protect that stuff, not that I'd have objected if I'd seen him knock some hoarder on his rear end.

The various clerks we've talked to agree that things have been busy but generally well-behaved, which tells me we haven't even begun to approach real scarcity yet?

flakeloaf has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Mar 23, 2020

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
ontario and quebec are going into lockdown starting tuesday at midnight

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1242141846144499713

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

meanwhile in bc they announced 48 new cases and 100 people cured. we're turning the corner folks.

48 cases as it's still impossible to get testing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tfw u become premier to make a quick buck and get back at your enemies and then a global pandemic hits

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Why the gently caress does everyone have to be clustered together in all these god drat announcements and poo poo? Like Jesus Christ, have some self awareness.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
dougie looks way in over his head

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

keep in mind that in ontario there’s a testing backlog so what they’re really reporting is how many new cases there were 5 days ago

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

odiv posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone have to be clustered together in all these god drat announcements and poo poo? Like Jesus Christ, have some self awareness.

Someone asked about this after the first nova scotia press conference and the response was "good point". They've been spread out since

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

keep in mind that in ontario there’s a testing backlog so what they’re really reporting is how many new cases there were 5 days ago

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006
Yeah, Doug Ford is a worthless grifter but at the very least he seems like he's actually concerned about the prospect of many people dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Starks posted:

not just that but there's also an average 7-day delay between getting infected and getting tested, and than the 3-5 day backlog.

the reason we're closing down whole provinces for a few hundred reported cases is because the public health officials are showing politicians exponential curves and saying "if we've confirmed 500 cases but that's how many people were infected ten days ago, that means that right now there are probably 7,000 people out there right now who would test positive under our stringent testing restrictions. If we wait one more day before instating restrictions, there will be 9,000 instead. If we wait two more days there will be 12,000. And so on."

(note those numbers are estimates based on a 30% daily growth rate from a starting point of 500)