Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Gardening is very clutch hobby for current social distancing. Planted two large patches of purple moss phlox and three patches of purple aster along with coreopsis zagreb. I also put down a mistakenly divided balloon flower that may or may not survive due to it being from my friend accidentally cutting his in half when he was putting in new poo poo

Later this week planning to put in some more azaleas now that they’ve bloomed and I know what color they are, along with a sassafras and a mystery tree (thinking it’s a river birch)

But alas, two great plant sales I was looking forward to are now canceled. So now I’m either looking at mail order or finally learning how to do propagation properly :qfg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm pretty pissed that our plant sales are gonna be cancelled! What are they gonna do with all those plants? Those events are magnets for the elderly though. It'd be a massacre.

I was thinking I might be lazy and buy starters for vegetables this year, but it looks like I'm doing seeds after all.

I have tons of good gardening projects for my quarantine, but it looks like it might rain every day for the next week. I'll go insane.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I have spent the last week going slowly insane trying to find saucers that will correctly fit in some plant stands I got a while ago; they came with cheap plastic saucers that I don't trust to hold any actual weight. It turns out no one (that I can find, anyway) notes the sizes of saucers accurately online (as I found out when some of them arrived) and for some reason the Home Depot here is currently stocking 4-7" saucers and 14-20" saucers but nothing in between.

On the plus side I found a ~10" malnourished cristate Eve's needle (Opuntia subulata) waiting to die in Home Depot's pile of unloved plants that I couldn't resist for $20.

Oil of Paris posted:

But alas, two great plant sales I was looking forward to are now canceled. So now I'm either looking at mail order or finally learning how to do propagation properly :qfg:

All of the bulb shows out here have been cancelled as well, though I did manage to make it to one of them two days before it got closed down.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm pretty pissed that our plant sales are gonna be cancelled! What are they gonna do with all those plants? Those events are magnets for the elderly though. It'd be a massacre.

By hook or loving crook I am going to get that new Scarlet Sunrise grape tomato from Rutgers. It's my white whale right now.

I mean, I could just order seeds. But I WANT STARTS.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Does anybody have staghorn fern tips? My MIL got this guy for my wife and I've been doing my best but it seems to be showering signs of both over- and under-watering at the same time and it's never really liked like it's thriving. This is a southeast facing window in PA. It gets humidity when we shower and I run the faucet over the leaves a few times a week. I've kept these tillandsias alive for years so I'm not a total idiot when it comes to epiphytes at least. Do I need more light? Different watering strategy?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I mounted a staghorn like that and was thinking of doing another during quarantine. What are you interpreting as bad signs?

I let the moss on mine dry out fully before soaking it. They should put out new fronds periodically and lose others. The shield fronds turn brown pretty quickly, but that's what they're supposed to do. Yours is above a window, so the fronds will naturally droop like that because that's where the light is.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

It drops leaves that have blackened where they meet the rest of the plant every few weeks like it's getting overwatered, but the leaves also shrivel, curl, and brown at the tips which I thought was a sign of being too dry.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

well here is mine for reference. it is neither the happiest nor the saddest staghorn.

The fronds on mine start to go yellow and then brown slowly before they fall. They haven't been turning black at the base first as far as I've noticed. I do get some browning at the tips, but I've attributed that to low humidity and possibly chlorine buildup from my tap water.

I do always let it dry out completely before watering again. Those shield fronds are there because it's meant to go through drier periods.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

well here is mine for reference. it is neither the happiest nor the saddest staghorn.

The fronds on mine start to go yellow and then brown slowly before they fall. They haven't been turning black at the base first as far as I've noticed. I do get some browning at the tips, but I've attributed that to low humidity and possibly chlorine buildup from my tap water.

I do always let it dry out completely before watering again. Those shield fronds are there because it's meant to go through drier periods.

Well, thanks for the perspective. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on and hope this summer is kind to it. Do you think it needs more light?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It could probably use more light, yeah. Mine gets a lot of bright indirect light, but it's still not enough to grow forks in the fronds like they do when it's really enough light.

The black bases definitely sound like overwatering. That's worse than underwatering. Mine have bounced back from lots of underwatering.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I was checking my plants yesterday and noticed this on a few of my dahlias and my tomatoes.

See that white edging? It’s not mold from what I can tell, so does anyone have any thoughts on what it actually could be? If it helps, they’re currently in my hotbed where it’s incredibly humid and warm.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Looks like a bacterial spot issue.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Oil of Paris posted:

But alas, two great plant sales I was looking forward to are now canceled. So now I’m either looking at mail order or finally learning how to do propagation properly :qfg:

Wallet posted:

All of the bulb shows out here have been cancelled as well, though I did manage to make it to one of them two days before it got closed down.

Our local garden club sale at the beginning of May has been cancelled. The club meets Friday afternoons so there's nothing but grey hair as far as the eye can see. Definitely a vulnerable group. It sounds like they're networking the extra plants that people have started for it. We'll see how effective email is.

I was planning to go down island to a fruit growers show this Saturday. They haven't cancelled but it's been severely modified so that pre-ordered material can be picked up. I wanted to check out the availability of dwarf cherries but I think I'll postpone that project until next year.

In the meantime, I might pick up a semi-dwarf cherry from Costco when the garden centre there opens and try my hand at espallier. Does anyone have some good references for it?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm starting a couple chokos going hopefully asap just incase this pandemic poo poo goes on for a while

I have a lovely area for a trellis So I might hope for the best and have some lovely bland fruit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hexigrammus posted:

In the meantime, I might pick up a semi-dwarf cherry from Costco when the garden centre there opens and try my hand at espallier. Does anyone have some good references for it?

Here’s a PDF.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

At least one of our local nursery centers (not my first or second choice, unfortunately) has canceled its seminars and events, but is otherwise remaining open to healthy customers chiefly to provide moral support--and to let us shop for the big spring plant, which usually starts right around Mother's Day. Honestly, gardening would be a great way to spend these days weeks months of isolation. I've got to get more serious about putting together my Burpee order, at a bare minimum.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am noticing that the dirt in my apple tree garden is pretty red, and I can’t tell if this is because it’s next to a brick wall or because it’s full of clay. The trees are gonna be planted in a spot that’s been mixed with that dirt plus grower’s mix and coconut fiber, but I’m worried about what’s gonna happen to the roots when they go beyond that point.

Should I be worried? How do I send soil samples to a local ag center lab?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

I am noticing that the dirt in my apple tree garden is pretty red, and I can’t tell if this is because it’s next to a brick wall or because it’s full of clay. The trees are gonna be planted in a spot that’s been mixed with that dirt plus grower’s mix and coconut fiber, but I’m worried about what’s gonna happen to the roots when they go beyond that point.

Should I be worried? How do I send soil samples to a local ag center lab?

Post pics. It's probably red dirt they trucked in to pour the slab on top of if that is common in your area, and if it's brick dust I wouldn't be worried about that either. If they washed out the mortar bucket right where your garden is, that could maybe mess with the PH, but unless they built your house 3 years ago it should be fine. Red dirt is not inherently bad soil, but it is usually fairly acidic, low in organic matter and needs nitrogen and lime (and maybe potassium? or phosphorus? Maybe liming it makes one of those more available? I can never remember). If you've added organic matter to the bed that should help.

For soil samples, google 'soil sample [YOUR STATE]' and you should find out how to do it. For me it boiled down to put a few trowels full of dirt in a plastic sandwich bag and mail it and a check to XYZ and a week later they sent me the results. You may be able to take them in person to your local county extension office. It helps if you tell them it is a home garden and what you are trying to grow so they will give lime/fertilizer recs in lbs/100sq ft instead of tons per acre. Keep in mind they are still mostly giving you recommendations based on you being a commercial/agricultural enterprise, and you might not feel like dumping 50lb of 13-13-13 on your yard (even though that would be the 'correct' thing to maximize yields), but at least you know what you are deficient in and that is useful to know. Trying to get the ph corrected would be my first goal. I would not recommend heavily fertilizing transplanted trees in their first year.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Can anybody offer any Nepenthes suggestions? I feel like I might need to prune and I don't know if I should be more intentional about if this year. I took off three cuttings last spring (two successfully rooted) at random and the plant didn't seem to mind. I also wish I would have repotted it as soon as I got it since the pot it's in is ugly as hell but now I'm hesitant to disturb the roots since it seems so happy.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I'm getting ready to plant my chokos

Found some trellis material

And some compost

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

OKAY, SO...

I was going to plant all of my bare-root apple trees today, but I had to run a couple of errands and do some prep work which took longer than I planned, and I ended up losing all of my daylight before I could even dig any holes. So now I gotta plant them tomorrow.

Only problem is, I already soaked all the roots in water.

gently caress.

So, since I can’t put them in the dirt yet, I’m improvising. I have a cooler full of Stark Bros coco-fiber planting medium that I put the trees in and covered the roots as best I could. I’m hoping that they’ll be okay in there for the next 16 to 18 hours until I can put them in the actual ground.

Is this okay? Are my trees gonna be okay like this?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sounds fine to me.

You basically “heeled” them in. It’s standard practice for bare-root plants.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m gonna crosspost this here in case the PI Cat thread ignores me again like they ignored every other post I’ve ever made there for whatever reason.

I need cat repellant for my garden. Tell me good cat repellants. QUICKLY. BEFORE THEY poo poo THERE AGAIN.

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

I need cat repellant for my garden. Tell me good cat repellants. QUICKLY. BEFORE THEY poo poo THERE AGAIN.

I'd love to know too. There's at least three cats down my road that are trying to claim my garden, seemingly by out-making GBS threads the others. I've had advice about planting strong-smelling stuff like garlic or lavender, or even putting down orange peel around the place, but nothing's worked so far.

I've just ordered a couple of ultrasonic scarers though, so hopefully those will be more effective.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
How mad will my palm tree be at me if I plant a rye grass lawn and wildflower garden in the pot with it? I have all this grass seed and I need more indoor greenery.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Outside of you standing guard with a super soaker, there’s no force on earth that will stop a cat from making GBS threads in nice easy-to-dig earth

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Outside of you standing guard with a super soaker, there’s no force on earth that will stop a cat from making GBS threads in nice easy-to-dig earth

I mean, if you're crazy about it you could get one of these to stand guard with a super soaker. (No idea if that is a good one or a lovely one, but there are a bunch of them.)

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m gonna crosspost this here in case the PI Cat thread ignores me again like they ignored every other post I’ve ever made there for whatever reason.

My mum used to have issues with cats pooping in her flower beds and did a combination of laying down chicken wire on the dirt (or maybe buried slightly?) and planting prickly things like cacti. I think it helped.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

Do you know whose cats they are and where they are coming from? Talking with the owner may or may not be productive.

Probably not the PI-approved answer, but if they are stray your local municipal animal control dept/shelter should take them if you trap them or trap them for you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I sic my dog on them. In addition to making GBS threads in your garden, they're killing wildlife and spreading disease.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

^^^ We had a cat that got killed and eaten by a dog soooooo no and also gently caress you

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do you know whose cats they are and where they are coming from? Talking with the owner may or may not be productive.

Probably not the PI-approved answer, but if they are stray your local municipal animal control dept/shelter should take them if you trap them or trap them for you.

They’re stray, and we’d prefer not to kill them as we are not horrible backwoods monsters.

Oil of Paris posted:

The area is covered with ground cover fabric and the trees themselves are gonna have fabric circles around them on top of the surrounding mulch. There’s not gonna be any dirt for them to dig, although the existing fabric hasn’t stopped them yet.

Wallet posted:

I mean, if you're crazy about it you could get one of these to stand guard with a super soaker. (No idea if that is a good one or a lovely one, but there are a bunch of them.)

I might give this a shot. I’d love some recommendations on which of these are any good though.

Waffle Grid posted:

My mum used to have issues with cats pooping in her flower beds and did a combination of laying down chicken wire on the dirt (or maybe buried slightly?) and planting prickly things like cacti. I think it helped.

Chicken wire isn’t a bad idea.

PI seems to think that strong lemon scents work well also. What are some strongly lemon-scented things I can use that won’t totally acidify my soil?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 22, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Just build a sandbox and designate it as the neighborhood litter box. Problem solved!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Just build a sandbox and designate it as the neighborhood litter box. Problem solved!

I am actually thinking about doing this. We have an entire unused side yard that would be perfect for it, and it’s right next to where they eat.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

I am actually thinking about doing this. We have an entire unused side yard that would be perfect for it, and it’s right next to where they eat.

Are you feeding the cats? This uh, might be part of your problem?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Are you feeding the cats? This uh, might be part of your problem?

Like I said, we don’t want them to die.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I. M. Gei posted:

:can:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

For the record, my dog doesn't actually hurt them, but outdoor cats do kill buckets of wildlife.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 22, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A motion activated water sprayer is about the only solution that is guaranteed to work.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

I. M. Gei posted:

Getting real goons in a well vibes from this but it's cats pissing down the well this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Hey folks, just a friendly reminder that as it gets warmer and we're doing more poo poo outside to remember to wear that PPE, especially safety glasses when appropriate. This would be a really loving bad time to get injured unnecessarily.