Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man loving mypay too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Man loving mypay too right?

~an SOF marine

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

:cheers: Were you in the Florida unit with the astronaut-dude patch?

no CT unit with the grape vines patch

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
For the .50 myth I always just asked them "so why doesn't that happen when they shoot paper targets?"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

not caring here posted:

For the .50 myth I always just asked them "so why doesn't that happen when they shoot paper targets?"

50 cal cant burst paper reams

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

not caring here posted:

Paper is obviously stronger than flesh, haven't you ever gotten a paper cut?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

LingcodKilla posted:

50 cal cant burst paper reams

:vince:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
M16A2s are still in some combat arms active duty units. Rare but still a thing.

M4 fielding taking longer than XM17 fielding somehow.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

We had 2 M4s per infantry platoon when I left in 2006, everyone else had an M16A4 (except SAWs and 240Bs obviously). I guess the M4s were a priority for light infantry since a weapon you can make smaller is obviously not needed for dudes that have to cram themselves in the back of a Bradley.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

We had 2 M4s per infantry platoon when I left in 2006, everyone else had an M16A4 (except SAWs and 240Bs obviously). I guess the M4s were a priority for light infantry since a weapon you can make smaller is obviously not needed for dudes that have to cram themselves in the back of a Bradley.

Lighter is needed for the dudes who need to carry everything and don't get to ride in the back of a Bradley :colbert:

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Jarmak posted:

Lighter is needed for the dudes who need to carry everything and don't get to ride in the back of a Bradley :colbert:

*Raises hand*
*pops both knees*
*might be limping today, who knows*

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

You were never going to be comfortable in the back of a Bradley, so they knew the M4 would be better off in the hands of an officer.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Who told you that because lol that's impossible

wouldn't this possibly be an issue if you had an M16A1? Not loving up the barrel but modern ammo (e.g. M855) not working as intended?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Flying_Crab posted:

wouldn't this possibly be an issue if you had an M16A1? Not loving up the barrel but modern ammo (e.g. M855) not working as intended?

Nah the only thing barrel twist would do is this

Flikken posted:

Gonna go gun spurg for a second and some of memory might be wrong on this. But IIRC

Barrel twist matters for the weight of the round. Different speeds of twist will be more accurate with certain weights of ammunition. British rifles of that era were designed to use the M193 55grain bullet, which was developed for the M-16/M-16A1 and their 1:11 barrel twist. While the M-16A2/A4/M-4 are optimized to use the slightly heavier 62 grain SS109 with their 1:7 Barrel twist. If British ammo had dirtier powder it might make you clean your rifle more, and at longer ranges the bullet may lose accuracy a little earlier but that is about all it would do.

Different twist rates stabilize different bullet weights better or worse. Using the wrong bullet weight for your barrel will mean your groups will open up considerably, even at shorter distances.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

British ammo should be fine but don’t try to shoot Australian ammo out of a northern hemisphere barrel.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

goatsestretchgoals posted:

British ammo should be fine but don’t try to shoot Australian ammo out of a northern hemisphere barrel.

That's right, the barrel will unthread itself with the bullet only halfway down its length and the whole thing explodes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the barrel twist rate doesn't matter because of a little thing I like to call nato which means they use the same grain of bullet

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

PookBear posted:

the barrel twist rate doesn't matter because of a little thing I like to call nato which means they use the same grain of bullet

M193 and M855 are two different grains of 5.56mm NATO.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I flew over as a replacement, I landed in Kuwait a day or two before the invasion started. To say that we got equipped with whatever was still laying around is accurate. I had an M16A2 with iron sights but at least I got to zero it. At first all they had for us was tracers, but eventually they gave us British ammo would gently caress up our weapons because of the barrel twist, which was nice.

I just want to say god drat that is a great username

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

M193 and M855 are two different grains of 5.56mm NATO.

yes and the brits use "Round, Ball, L2A2: 5.56×45mm FN SS109 equivalent produced by Radway Green"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The hell is all this tactitech talk in here

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, we had G36s, and MG3s and some old G3s, majority of the ammo we used was 5.56...

...oh wait, that's right, we didn't have money for ammo. :lol:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/zlingray/status/1241577915789086720?s=20

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, we had G36s, and MG3s and some old G3s, majority of the ammo we used was 5.56...

If you're using 5.56 in an MG3, I think i have discovered your problem.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/kbrady90/status/1241775101001043968?s=20

Stay safe German folks; we're just over here winging it state-by-state

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

well you see after we got done kicking the poo poo out of you nazi grandpa, the US realized that the UK's hosed up 303 rimmed cartridge hosed up logistics so we decided to standardize ammo so that the US and UK can use each others ammo. When the US switched to a heavier 5.56 bullet so did the rest of nato which means that the dude that had british ammo would have had functionally similar ammo to what the US was using.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1241740081343447040

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Jarmak posted:

That actually is correct. gently caress walking.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

My knees and back bother me but gently caress having to maintain a loving track vehicle.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1241780756617273345?s=20 :crnasickos:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CPAC flu strikes again

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

PookBear posted:

yes and the brits use "Round, Ball, L2A2: 5.56×45mm FN SS109 equivalent produced by Radway Green"

You know we are talking about 17 years ago.

Ehhh it's a stupid argument anyway.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

SimonCat posted:

If you're using 5.56 in an MG3, I think i have discovered your problem.

The connected joke there was supposed to be that we barely used our MG3s, and never used the G3s, because - again - money.

There was one occasion where we were on manoeuver (loving christ, I tried typing this like three times and Chrome autocorrect is still unhappy with it, so you get MANÖVER), and for some completely undiscernible reason, we suddenly had an absolutely abundant load of ammo to go through. And I'm not just talking a regular day on the range that was "blessed by the gods" and we had enough live 5.56 for our G36 STANAG rifles, and enough plastic 7.62 MANÖVERMUNITION (plastic cartridges with blasting caps that produced just enough recoil for a firearm to cycle with a mounted MPG) for our LAGEDARSTELLUNGSPERSONAL (German OPFOR).

I'm talking "enough 5.56 for every single deutschbag to stock up six full mags, and upwards of 14.000 rounds of BRASS 7.62 Manövermunition (the expensive kind of fake ammo) for our 8 unmotivated OPFOR duders.
None of us could ever wrap our heads around that situation, and we never got a good explanation for it. Some of us were so dumbfounded at the sudden availability of funds for training that they legit believed an actual shooting war must have been on the horizon.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/kbrady90/status/1241775101001043968?s=20

Stay safe German folks; we're just over here winging it state-by-state

The irony of today's announcement by Mutti is that it's not actually a legal escalation of what's already ongoing.
The thing that was expected in her address today was a country-wide curfew, and that didn't happen. The only state-wide curfew still in effect is in Bavaria, and I'm assuming the government eyeballed the large reduction in infection-quote over the last three days and decided against shutting the entire motherfucker down.

I haven't had a public-address vehicle rolling through my neighborhood, telling me to "VNIMANYIE, VNIMANYIE" since 1pm today, so I'm chalking that up to an improvement.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/TheLoveBel0w/status/1241783186755026948

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PookBear posted:

well you see after we got done kicking the poo poo out of you nazi grandpa, the US realized that the UK's hosed up 303 rimmed cartridge hosed up logistics so we decided to standardize ammo so that the US and UK can use each others ammo. When the US switched to a heavier 5.56 bullet so did the rest of nato which means that the dude that had british ammo would have had functionally similar ammo to what the US was using.

It's fair to note that the US insisted on using 7.62 NATO even after everyone else realized that full powered rifle rounds in a standard infantry rifle was completely unnecessary (especially if you planned to use it on full auto), and this decision hosed over the rest of NATO as they were on the cusp of introducing rifles (and in the British case, already had) chambered in .280

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's fair to note that the US insisted on using 7.62 NATO even after everyone else realized that full powered rifle rounds in a standard infantry rifle was completely unnecessary (especially if you planned to use it on full auto), and this decision hosed over the rest of NATO as they were on the cusp of introducing rifles (and in the British case, already had) chambered in .280

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_Pedersen

"Developed in 1923 in the United States, it was intended to replace the .30-06 Springfield in new semi-automatic rifles and machine guns. When first recommended for adoption, M1 Garand rifles were chambered for the .276 Pedersen, which held ten rounds in its unique en-bloc clips. The .276 Pedersen was a shorter, lighter and lower pressure round than the .30-06, which made the design of an autoloading rifle easier than the long, powerful .30-06. The U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Douglas MacArthur rejected the .276 Pedersen Garand in 1932 after verifying that a .30-06 version was feasible."

we make awful decisions when it comes to calibers.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey, err, I dunno what just happened but apparently the we're reporting an extra 14,000 cases just today.

On the other hand

hahahaha, suck it

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

not caring here posted:

Hey, err, I dunno what just happened but apparently the we're reporting an extra 14,000 cases just today.

Testing

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

not caring here posted:

On the other hand

hahahaha, suck it

For the US as a whole or within a given state? New York apparently has 12,000+ more positives today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PookBear posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_Pedersen

"Developed in 1923 in the United States, it was intended to replace the .30-06 Springfield in new semi-automatic rifles and machine guns. When first recommended for adoption, M1 Garand rifles were chambered for the .276 Pedersen, which held ten rounds in its unique en-bloc clips. The .276 Pedersen was a shorter, lighter and lower pressure round than the .30-06, which made the design of an autoloading rifle easier than the long, powerful .30-06. The U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Douglas MacArthur rejected the .276 Pedersen Garand in 1932 after verifying that a .30-06 version was feasible."

we make awful decisions when it comes to calibers.

To be more fair to Mac than he deserves, he wasn't entirely wrong to be skeptical of introducing a brand-new rifle cartridge at a time when the US military budget was extremely curtailed, and the benefit of using .30-06 in practically everything was that it simplified logistics to a staggering degree. (Enough to overcome the benefits of .276? Debatable, but at least it's far more defensible than... basically everything to have to do with the M-14)