Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't know who to believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got two copies of this game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't know who to believe

Game owns, soundtrack owns

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's a very pretty game with fun systems but the adventures you go on are kind of boring.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Octopath Traveler OST is on Spotify now, and probably already is or will be on all the other big streaming services soon.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

Mega64 posted:

The Octopath Traveler OST is on Spotify now, and probably already is or will be on all the other big streaming services soon.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hi! This game is half price on Switch! Anyone buy it?

This is one of the best games I've played since DQ11 and I was hoping to get some discussion going.

My wife is playing through it right now and is in chapter 2.

This game has one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard in video games.

I'm super hype for the mobile prequel coming this year.

H'aanit is the best character.

Please chat about this awesome game!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's pretty good!

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
It’s a good but flawed game that is way better than Dragon Quest 11. That’s my take

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, the soundtrack hit it right out of the ballpark. And I loved the hell out of tinkering with my late game party to create some hilariously busted setups (to the point where I had to start handicapping myself to see all of the tricks of some characters’ final bosses).

There are admittedly some pretty major warts once you reach the postgame, but there’s guides that’ll walk you through what to do once you hit the point where you’ve cleared all of the stories of each character and have no drat clue what you’re supposed to do next.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Picked it up half price too, after getting a Switch Lite for the apocalypse

This might be the beat RPG systems I've seen in forever, but I'm still going around doing all the chapter 1s.

I was thinking this was gonna be a mid length breezy game, but looking at some non spoiler posts, there's a job system and way more chapters than I was expecting. Hell yeah

I'm Tressa main, with Prim, Olberic and Cyrus. Everyone has great personality. Especially Tressa :)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, each character’s chapters usually clock in at an hour or two, which makes this great for doing in small chunks while still feeling like you’re making major progress.

Just do know that the Chapter 2 bosses are where the training wheels very suddenly come off.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I can't beat the optional boss even with everyone at 70+ and the recommended setups in a guide I found. Phase 1 is free with light runes but Phase 2 almost always insta wipes me and I have no idea what to do other than maybe grind more levels and equip +speed gear.

Any good setups or recommendations?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never beaten an optional boss in any JRPG and any time I've tried, it's been miserable. Whatever fun people see in the JRPG optional boss style, which is pretty much just "gently caress You", I'm not seeing it

WRPG optional bosses are sometimes fun though, like the ones in BG and Pillars. Killing the Adra Dragon really made me feel like a baller

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Do you have a Warmaster in your second group? Focus on feeding them BP so they can spam their Divine Skill every turn. Would also recommend Alfyn for second group so you can use the Apothecary DS on somebody in the party, and they can then feed everyone else the max BP item.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

Do you have a Warmaster in your second group? Focus on feeding them BP so they can spam their Divine Skill every turn. Would also recommend Alfyn for second group so you can use the Apothecary DS on somebody in the party, and they can then feed everyone else the max BP item.

Yep I have that setup. Only problem is that nobody lives long enough for any of that to happen :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Will I start getting exponentially more money at some point? Everything I've seen for sale is either around 1-2k or 14-16k

Also, Tressa is a better physical attacker than Olberic in my game right now lol. She is the literal best ^_^

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Will I start getting exponentially more money at some point? Everything I've seen for sale is either around 1-2k or 14-16k

Also, Tressa is a better physical attacker than Olberic in my game right now lol. She is the literal best ^_^

Not til chapter 4. They did a really good job with the economy in this game. Money choices were A Thing for a long time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can't beat the optional boss even with everyone at 70+ and the recommended setups in a guide I found. Phase 1 is free with light runes but Phase 2 almost always insta wipes me and I have no idea what to do other than maybe grind more levels and equip +speed gear.

Any good setups or recommendations?

I recommend Saving Grace (can overheal up to 9999HP, won't work if character is already overhealed) and Patience (25% for the character to have an extra turn after the end of the round) on as many characters as you can. Overhealing makes surviving much easier, and extra turns add up significantly.

Have a Dancer and Starseer for the second stage. Dancer to give their Divine skill to the Starseer, so the Starseer can use Celestial Intervention to block the foes' buffs and debuffs. You'll want someone as an Apothecary since Dohter's is very helpful, preferably Alfyn but someone fast like Therion would do in a pinch for Jam Spam.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

precision posted:

As a fellow Tressa main (she is the best), I didn't have huge money problems, just from spamming Collect (especially on bosses) and walking from screen to screen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Haha, I was grinding in the desert to buy something and not paying attention, just spamming whatever the things are weak to, and after a fight everyone gained 3 levels and I got 3k gold. I guess I killed a metal slime type dude without even realizing it :v:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Haha, I was grinding in the desert to buy something and not paying attention, just spamming whatever the things are weak to, and after a fight everyone gained 3 levels and I got 3k gold. I guess I killed a metal slime type dude without even realizing it :v:

Yeah those are Cait Sith enemies. Also don't grind random enemies for money. It's super painful. You're intended to get most of your money from looted chests and sold equipment.

Mega64 posted:

I recommend Saving Grace (can overheal up to 9999HP, won't work if character is already overhealed) and Patience (25% for the character to have an extra turn after the end of the round) on as many characters as you can. Overhealing makes surviving much easier, and extra turns add up significantly.

Have a Dancer and Starseer for the second stage. Dancer to give their Divine skill to the Starseer, so the Starseer can use Celestial Intervention to block the foes' buffs and debuffs. You'll want someone as an Apothecary since Dohter's is very helpful, preferably Alfyn but someone fast like Therion would do in a pinch for Jam Spam.

Yep. Did all that. Here's what happens best case scenario:

One of my second team people goes first. The best they can do to overheal is a grape bunch. Then all the enemies go and multi hit the whole party and everyone dies anyway.

I think I have to make a character with high speed a cleric or apothecary.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 22, 2020

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Just started this Picked the scholar guy and got my rear end handed to me by the first boss. Any tips? Im pretty sure I know what Im doing regarding boosts, but who knows.

Is it better to build up boost to break his shield or to break his shield then use a boosted spell?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

TommyGun85 posted:

Just started this Picked the scholar guy and got my rear end handed to me by the first boss. Any tips? Im pretty sure I know what Im doing regarding boosts, but who knows.

Is it better to build up boost to break his shield or to break his shield then use a boosted spell?

At this point in the game, the latter. Broken enemies take equally high damage from any spell Cyrus dishes out, so break, then cast a boosted spell on the boss to significantly weaken him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Always Be Breaking

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just got Alfyn and he is Best Boy. I want to go on adventures with him and Tressa :3:

I gotta bench someone though. Sorry Primrose, you're going to the B Team

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Make sure to regularly rotate your party around to make sure none of them fall severely behind, because it can be a pain in the rear end to catch them back up the further you go.

Also, starting with the Chapter 2 for every character, you can unlock little bonus conversations between them and each of the other seven over the main plot beats for that chapter. They don’t reveal anything really major, but some of them are pretty hilarious.

Or reveal just how thirsty each of the travelers are for each other.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Generally, break first, then boost for damage.

The exception is when they're 2-3 shields from broken and about to wreck your poo poo. Then break them so they lose their turn.

precision posted:

I just got Alfyn and he is Best Boy. I want to go on adventures with him and Tressa :3:

As a bonus, Alfyn is hilariously broken in combat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

Make sure to regularly rotate your party around to make sure none of them fall severely behind, because it can be a pain in the rear end to catch them back up the further you go.

Also, starting with the Chapter 2 for every character, you can unlock little bonus conversations between them and each of the other seven over the main plot beats for that chapter. They don’t reveal anything really major, but some of them are pretty hilarious.

Or reveal just how thirsty each of the travelers are for each other.

Yeah every once in a while it's cool to switch characters in a tavern just to see what conversations they have. There are a lot of really good ones.

My favorite was a relatively early one between H'aanit and Ophilia where the bond over their insecurities. It's super sweet :3

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How do I see those conversations exactly?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

How do I see those conversations exactly?

There will be a prompt at the top right of the screen to press +. You'll hear a distinct noise too.

Many of them only happen in taverns so if you want to see as many as possible then switch party members after each chapter.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Loving the game so far, but have a few nitpicks.

The area designs are pretty linear with only branching paths to get a treasure. Due to the perspective, it can be hard to tell what is a walkable surface.

I absolutely hate any game mechanics based on % of failing. Its annoying to fail 4 times at path actions and have to pay 5k to reset your rep. Just make these actions availabke only when you are at a high enough level or something. The only game ive played that does this right is Disco Elysium where failing a check results in an alternative sometimes better route.

e: things i like - visuals, music, battle system, the little character details you get when you scrutinize people.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 23, 2020

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TommyGun85 posted:

Loving the game so far, but have a few nitpicks.

The area designs are pretty linear with only branching paths to get a treasure. Due to the perspective, it can be hard to tell what is a walkable surface.

I absolutely hate any game mechanics based on % of failing. Its annoying to fail 4 times at path actions and have to pay 5k to reset your rep. Just make these actions availabke only when you are at a high enough level or something. The only game ive played that does this right is Disco Elysium where failing a check results in an alternative sometimes better route.

e: things i like - visuals, music, battle system, the little character details you get when you scrutinize people.

There are alternatives to the % failure abilities. You can steal, which is a %, or you can straight up buy them, which are level/cost gated if I remember.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Savescum the inquiries and stealing and alluring.

Don't waste money restoring rep.

There's a "return to title" option under Miscellaneous in the menus.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Savescum the inquiries and stealing and alluring.

Don't waste money restoring rep.

There's a "return to title" option under Miscellaneous in the menus.

yeah I was just commenting on game design in general like this. Its not a big deal, I just dont like that the options for failing an action are to either save scumm or grind for money.

Scrutinize and steal are fine when the % is like 30 because its telling you your chance of succeeding is low as a deterent. But when its 90% and you still fail, its not a good mechanic, its just annoying.

Anyways, game overall is fantastic. Really enjoying it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, gamers (including myself) want to pass checks of 75% or higher 100% of the time

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Yeah, gamers (including myself) want to pass checks of 75% or higher 100% of the time

Don't ever play X-COM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

Don't ever play X-COM

Too late :negative:

The slang in Therion's intro is great. He's the best tea leaf. Also I had Alfyn along and when you Inquire one of the guards, it talks about how he "realizes we're all just dreams in a dead god's mind" or something

Game great

Mega64
May 23, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

I absolutely hate any game mechanics based on % of failing. Its annoying to fail 4 times at path actions and have to pay 5k to reset your rep. Just make these actions availabke only when you are at a high enough level or something.

That's what the Noble path actions are, never-fail alternatives to the Rogue paths with level or money requirements.

Cyrus can Scrutinize anyone at a high risk, while Alfyn can Inquire if at a high enough level for that NPC and not fail. Same deal with Primrose/Ophilia and H'aanit/Olberic. For Therion/Tressa you instead pay money for items instead of getting them for free.

There's a weird balance there too in that for some specific NPCs you might have more success with one path action than another. So one NPC might be an easy fight, yet require Olberic be L70, which means you'd be better using H'aanit (or would if her monsters actually scaled well), while for another, Therion might get a low chance to steal regardless but that NPC's items are dirt cheap if Tressa is buying.

There are definitely a couple ways to break the game hidden under the low success rates of Rogue actions, such as a powerful axe in Alfyn's town that you can't buy but can steal at a 3% success rate.

Also, Inquire/Scrutinize can unlock buffs to certain path actions, and those buffs can be huge. I'll just say you may want to hold off buying anything from NPCs in Grandport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
For H'aanit's Provoke fights, max out her evasion beforehand. It makes them a thousand times easier. The only thing you usually have to worry about is status ailments but poison is the only one that really sucks.

If the enemy can't hit you 90% of the time all you have to do is spam Linde until armor is broken then slam a 3 boost Linde into them and repeat.