Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

so im a bit unfamiliar with your sham democracy (only familiar with our sham democracy) if biden dies I take it bernie doesn't win by default?
the democrat party just gets to pick whoever cause its a private company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

so im a bit unfamiliar with your sham democracy (only familiar with our sham democracy) if biden dies I take it bernie doesn't win by default?

The delegates are freed I think?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

The Dems can do whatever the gently caress they want, and they will

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
'particularly high ceilings'
https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1241731262135644161?s=20

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

there isn't a precedent because the only other time a candidate's died during the primary, he was too far behind to have any chance of winning, but he'd presumably be treated like a candidate that withdrew and all his delegates would be free to choose whoever they wanted at the convention; since they're Biden delegates they would probably uniformly agree to whoever Obama and the DNC recommended, whether it's another candidate who suspended their bid or someone new altogether

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Chairman posted:

there isn't a precedent because the only other time a candidate's died during the primary, he was too far behind to have any chance of winning, but he'd presumably be treated like a candidate that withdrew and all his delegates would be free to choose whoever they wanted at the convention; since they're Biden delegates they would probably uniformly agree to whoever Obama and the DNC recommended, whether it's another candidate who suspended their bid or someone new altogether

uh, RFK’s assassination is why the 1968 convention was such a shitshow and why the current primary system was created

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

we're approaching my favourite timeline.... hillarys 3rd run for president

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

hobbesmaster posted:

uh, RFK’s assassination is why the 1968 convention was such a shitshow and why the current primary system was created

yeah, and we haven't had anyone else die yet so we don't know what they'd do under the new system

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Chairman posted:

yeah, and we haven't had anyone else die yet so we don't know what they'd do under the new system

can Klob follow in the footsteps of the great Hubert Humphrey?

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Most likely they are just hoping that once millions of people have died Trumps approval rating will finally drop and as long as Joe stays in hiding his won't.

That being said I hope it's something cooler than that.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
heres my bet: joe biden isnt dead but they realize he's incapable of running at this point so they're doing their best to get a good video of him announcing his VP (which is being approved by the DNC) so they can swing all their delegates that way at the convention

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

joe biden's candidacy is about breaking the high ceiling

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Also he definitely has the roni but lmao if you think hell timeline would retire one of its main characters at the series finale. He's gonna be back next week and everyone will pretend nothing happened.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Entenzahn posted:

Also he definitely has the roni but lmao if you think hell timeline would retire one of its main characters at the series finale. He's gonna be back next week and everyone will pretend nothing happened.

counterpoint: the writers are great and even if you see it coming Biden dying of the roni is still a great twist, excellent content

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Entenzahn posted:

yeah, bernie is gonna get roni and die.

his last words to the public will be to vote for biden

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
in a shocking twist, rand paul will die of the roni and then become the dem nominee

lead writer m night shyamalan

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Lawman 0 posted:

The delegates are freed I think?

The delegates would only be freed in 12 states. This is because the DNC delegate rules say both that a delegate can't be forced to vote against the preference they expressed when elected, and also that pledged delegates must do everything they can to "reflect the sentiments" of those who elected them. ALSO, a candidate's death doesn't necessarily mean a campaign will actually end. It might just suspend. See Rep. Mark Takai.

So technically, if Biden won enough delegates but died, he could be elected, a corpse, on the first ballot.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

But to answer Communist Thoughts' question specifically, if Bernie doesn't receive a majority of pledged delegates then the DNC is under no obligation to nominate him. Even if dead Biden also doesn't get a majority

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

"Better Dead Than Red"
-Joe Biden (1942-2020)

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

if I was a candidate with the rona I'd isolate but be on every loving phone and livestream I could be, nonstop. "Bravely fighting through it". If you make it through(and if you're rich you will), you come out insanely empowered and this face of optimism and triumph - and it lets you just shred Trump on it every minute of every day.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lmao at the people in this topic like 'biden's not dead, he just has the roni!' If he has the roni hes gonna die lol his body is mush

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GrimGypsy posted:

if I was a candidate with the rona I'd isolate but be on every loving phone and livestream I could be, nonstop. "Bravely fighting through it". If you make it through(and if you're rich you will), you come out insanely empowered and this face of optimism and triumph - and it lets you just shred Trump on it every minute of every day.

Why do that when you can let your vanquished primary opponent do it for you?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

biden's clearly sick somehow, but how bad it is is very unclear. being on an inhaler makes his conspicuous absence make a lot of sense though

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Feral Integral posted:

Lmao at the people in this topic like 'biden's not dead, he just has the roni!' If he has the roni hes gonna die lol his body is mush

His brain is mush but he's still more likely to survive than not.
Real issue is with heart problems, diabetes or blood pressure.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1241785438362316806

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Wow! President Cuomo!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i have not discussed this w lightning knight but i am confident that he will agree: the Official C-SPAM Mod View™ is that each no joe gang-tag saps a portion of bidens lifeforce and that is why he is dying/dead atm

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Squizzle posted:

i have not discussed this w lightning knight but i am confident that he will agree: the Official C-SPAM Mod View™ is that each no joe gang-tag saps a portion of bidens lifeforce and that is why he is dying/dead atm

Sounds like its time to nationalize gang-tags. Might as well nationalize cspam for good measure.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Squizzle posted:

When the big high-quality NO*JOE header was created it briefly stopped Biden's heart like getting your chest thumped

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Squizzle posted:

This seems to pass the Sniff Test.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

But to answer Communist Thoughts' question specifically, if Bernie doesn't receive a majority of pledged delegates then the DNC is under no obligation to nominate him. Even if dead Biden also doesn't get a majority

The DNC when sued said they could pick the nominee in a cigar smoke filled backroom and there would be nothing legally to stop them for doing this.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

biden's guys are probably hiding him so emphatically because old man sick is not a great look and they think they've got this in the bag

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
:patriot:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

etalian posted:

The DNC when sued said they could pick the nominee in a cigar smoke filled backroom and there would be nothing legally to stop them for doing this.

Yeah, I'm saying that in addition to their lack of legal obligation, they're not even obligated by their own rules

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

V. Illych L. posted:

biden's guys are probably hiding him so emphatically because old man sick is not a great look and they think they've got this in the bag*
*body bag

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
they're waiting for everyone to get the rona so that it's normalized once joe announces he has it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

This is why "no one" (per 538) and "Hillary" (per betting odds sites) are currently widely considered the most-likely option that isn't "Biden wins". Bernie's been blown out too much too often in states thus far, winning everything going forward by 1-3% is no longer sufficient to make up ground delegate-wise. Coronavirus only delayed the timing, and it can't delay it past June unless you want cancellations (if conventions get cancelled though, that makes November likely to follow suit. Best of luck with that)

Squizzle posted:

Make it the sub background, we might be able to reverse time and prevent this with the power it could provide

ed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODNkDrXlsFE

Chris James 2 has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Mar 22, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

oxsnard posted:

Lmao that LabCorp test result that's going around Twitter is real

what test result

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Shear Modulus posted:

what test result

https://twitter.com/Hobofett360/status/1241725882344955904?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012