Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Scrubs and Eli Stone. If I'm going to watch lawyers then they're drat well going to do musical numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I tried rewatching scrubs recently and I couldn't get through it, it felt super dated. I loved it at the time though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think Cake Hospital has held up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_G5Yr6JfY

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Just don't pick Suits as your one legal show. If you do, please stop after the first few seasons, it's for your own good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

misguided rage posted:

I tried rewatching scrubs recently and I couldn't get through it, it felt super dated. I loved it at the time though.

It’s like That 2000’s Show in how it seems like it intentionally dates itself
I recently rewatched the entire thing minus the stupid spinoff and man JD is just about the stupidest, pettiest, meanest character put on television
Also it has the weirdest will they won’t they, where they will but then didn’t but then did again only for JD to realize he has absolutely no feelings for her and then years later after realizing that they might as well they finally do again

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THere's also weird poo poo like Carla moving in with JD and Turk into JD's apartment, then when they get married they kick JD out like he's the freeloader. "What are you still doing here?" He bought the place you dingus, it's his place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

THere's also weird poo poo like Carla moving in with JD and Turk into JD's apartment, then when they get married they kick JD out like he's the freeloader. "What are you still doing here?" He bought the place you dingus, it's his place.

A similar thing happened on Arrow. Oliver goes broke and loses the family home but his half sister Thea comes into money through her father. So she buys this giant apartment and has Oliver move in with her. Oliver proposes to his girlfriend Felicity and Thea moves out. Then Oliver and Felicity break up and Oliver moves out. This happened over the course of a couple of years so either the writers forgot who lived where or they decided that the audience really didn't care.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

This is the only doctor show I watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEg-R4yw_M

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

You are allowed to watch one hospital show and one lawyer show in your life. Choose wisely. I chose scrubs and ally mcbeal. Learn from me.

Where does medical police count on that?

Zedd posted:

Ann and Chris leaving P&R was well done imo, but they did have to force-rush them back into a couple for that so eh.

I doubt that show would hold up to a rewatch now, it's so optimistic and well we now live in double hellworld.

I just rewatched it, it’s fine. The only major problem was one that it had while it was still airing, Tom Haverford never gets fatally hit by a bus.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

P&R holds up VERY badly politically. Joe Biden cameos in the pilot, iirc.

There’s a pilot? I always thought it was odd the show just started at season 2. :shrug:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean Scrubs has a joke about how Turk has this awesome new flip phone with a camera that's almost half a pixel! And now Turk bought a custom N' Sync ringtone! Like the writers of the show were time travelers intentionally creating a period piece parody

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You can also tell Scrubs predates the era of binging because you can set a loving watch to the emotional beats in every single episode. Owp! It's 18 minutes into the episode because a sadboy guitar song is playing over a montague of dead assholes. sweet. i hope the blond doctor says something embarrassing in front of a superior.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Then Dr Kelso uses a capulet of dead assholes to make a point! :v:

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Where does medical police count on that?

It's a complicated system. See like with the wire, it's a cop show, but also a criminal show, a politics show, a dockworker show, a school show, and a (bad) reporter show.

Luckily you are allowed to watch one "the wire" show.

And, scrubs has its moments but yeah, the formula gets really obvious and jd gets pretty terrible.

Slowpoke Rodriguez has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Mar 21, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Calaveron posted:

I mean Scrubs has a joke about how Turk has this awesome new flip phone with a camera that's almost half a pixel! And now Turk bought a custom N' Sync ringtone! Like the writers of the show were time travelers intentionally creating a period piece parody

Futurama does this quite a bit more than I would have liked.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

It's a complicated system. See like with the wire, it's a cop show, but also a criminal show, a politics show, a dockworker show, a school show, and a (bad) reporter show.

I'm glad I wasted my one "the wire" show on The Shield. Does the Wire have a kid rock song in its first episode? No. Case closed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm glad I wasted my one "the wire" show on The Shield. Does the Wire have a kid rock song in its first episode? No. Case closed.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

And, scrubs has its moments but yeah, the formula gets really obvious and jd gets pretty terrible.

My IIMM is the last season of the Wire

also the last season of Fringe has joined my list of things that absolutely don't exist, I don't care what Wikipedia says, along with Highlander 2, RoboCop 3 and the last episode of MASH

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Spent my hospital show watching on Green Wing. I regret nothing!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheKennedys posted:

My IIMM is the last season of the Wire

also the last season of Fringe has joined my list of things that absolutely don't exist, I don't care what Wikipedia says, along with Highlander 2, RoboCop 3 and the last episode of MASH

Well, if you want irrationally irritating: the Korean War lasted from 1950 to 1953, but every one of the eleven seasons of M*A*S*H has its own Christmas episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That '70s Show ran for 8 seasons even though season 1 was set in 1976 and the final episode was January 1st, 1980.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

That '70s Show ran for 8 seasons even though season 1 was set in 1976 and the final episode was January 1st, 1980.

You missed the episode where Red made a pact with that time wizard. It's in season 3 I think.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Who says a season has to take place over a year? Breaking Bad ran for six seasons and covered two years in universe.

Content: I just watched Knives Out and the one thing that never gets explained is why Fran had a huge spider on her face. What’s up with that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You are allowed to watch one hospital show and one lawyer show in your life. Choose wisely. I chose scrubs and ally mcbeal. Learn from me.

Scrubs and Harvey Birdman

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Who says a season has to take place over a year? Breaking Bad ran for six seasons and covered two years in universe.

The Christmas episode they did each season?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Content: I just watched Knives Out and the one thing that never gets explained is why Fran had a huge spider on her face. What’s up with that?

This reminds me of how when Howard Hawks was adapting Raymond Chandler's hardboiled novel The Big Sleep in 1946 the filmmakers were halfway through production when they ran into a bit of trouble with the plot. At one point one of the characters, a chauffer, winds up dead in mysterious circumstances but it's unclear why and by whose hand or if he was even murdered at all.

Naturally they sent a message to Chandler himself to try to figure out who killed the chauffer and why.

His reply was "No idea".

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Mar 22, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Christmas episode they did each season?

I ended up googling it- that 70’s show only double-dipped with one Christmas, they didn’t do one every year.

MASH, on the other hand, always did one. That’s a lot of Christmases in 2 years.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You think that's hosed up? Tommy Pickles' family celebrates Christmas AND the Jewish holidays. what the gently caress kind of gnostic sex cult bullshit is that. whole palatial estate just a mother fuckin orgone box.

edit- also it had the exact same internal layout as the Simpsons house. what the f u c k.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

You think that's hosed up? Tommy Pickles' family celebrates Christmas AND the Jewish holidays. what the gently caress kind of gnostic sex cult bullshit is that. whole palatial estate just a mother fuckin orgone box.

edit- also it had the exact same internal layout as the Simpsons house. what the f u c k.

P sure that's because they're a mixed-heritage family, their mom's side is jewish while their dad's is christian. Obviously the kids are a bit too young to be able to tell the difference.

Funny thing is apparently the ADL got a bit annoyed over the depiction of the Jewish grandparents and the showrunners were confused given they'd just based them on their own grandparents.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I learned far more about Judaism from the Rugrats than anybody in my mostly Jewish family.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jedit posted:

Well, if you want irrationally irritating: the Korean War lasted from 1950 to 1953, but every one of the eleven seasons of M*A*S*H has its own Christmas episode.

M*A*S*H makes no attempt to keep a consistent timeline with the actual Korean War for almost its entire run. Aside from a Christmas episode every season, I’m pretty sure they have the 1950 Chinese entry into the war more than once, well after episodes that already involved them, plus a good episode that covered all of 1951 in it, or references to generals like McArthur and Ridgeway all at random.

Like, ten of the eleven seasons take place in a nebulous 1951/1952 setting (I think the opening of the pilot said it was supposed to be 1952?), and I vaguely remember that the final season kinda-sorta sticks to 1953 as they headed toward the finale.

A similar example is the old World War II show Combat! It was very good for its era, being fairly grounded and following basically an American rifle platoon in France after D-Day in the pilot. The war in Europe ended 11 months later, but all 5 seasons are set in generic French villages and countryside, with few real efforts to involve the real progress of the war that I can recall.

Both shows are really good and I do like them, just to be clear, but those weren’t things that seemed to be done until fairly recently.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

That's just suburban housing for you. I've long since stopped counting the number of shows where a house has the same rough layout as the Summers house in Buffy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My thing with the Rugrats was how none of the kids aged but Tommy had a baby brother show up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I learned far more about Judaism from the Rugrats than anybody in my mostly Jewish family.

I met a Jewish couple through a work function who were simply delighted I knew so much about their faith and culture.

They can never know why.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

fartknocker posted:

M*A*S*H makes no attempt to keep a consistent timeline with the actual Korean War for almost its entire run. Aside from a Christmas episode every season, I’m pretty sure they have the 1950 Chinese entry into the war more than once, well after episodes that already involved them, plus a good episode that covered all of 1951 in it, or references to generals like McArthur and Ridgeway all at random.

Like, ten of the eleven seasons take place in a nebulous 1951/1952 setting (I think the opening of the pilot said it was supposed to be 1952?), and I vaguely remember that the final season kinda-sorta sticks to 1953 as they headed toward the finale.

I think MASH was just a thinly disguised allegory for Vietnam. Even though it was set in Korea, everyone took it as a Vietnam commentary. poo poo, when I watched it as a kid I just assumed they were Nam.

And my IIMM with MASH is the fact that these surgeons are drunk as gently caress 24/7 and never know when wounded are incoming and it's only ever addressed in ONE episode to my knowledge. Motherfuckers would be straight up botching operations or too drunk to work on a constant basis given how much they're shown drinking.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jedit posted:

That's just suburban housing for you. I've long since stopped counting the number of shows where a house has the same rough layout as the Summers house in Buffy.

..... HOLD UP

that's also the exact same layout as Archie's house in Riverdale?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

I think MASH was just a thinly disguised allegory for Vietnam. Even though it was set in Korea, everyone took it as a Vietnam commentary. poo poo, when I watched it as a kid I just assumed they were Nam.

And my IIMM with MASH is the fact that these surgeons are drunk as gently caress 24/7 and never know when wounded are incoming and it's only ever addressed in ONE episode to my knowledge. Motherfuckers would be straight up botching operations or too drunk to work on a constant basis given how much they're shown drinking.

Yeah, a lot of MASH is clearly meant to reflect Vietnam, since the war was still going on pretty heavily when the show started in ‘72. Over time, that faded a bit, and there are definitely some episodes that touch on it being more on the 50’s.

And did they have an episode about them addressing their drinking? I know there’s one with a nurse friend of Margaret’s having severe withdrawals, and maybe one of the early episodes with Alan Alda’s dad’s character being drunk (That came to me as I typed this), but I honestly can’t remember it being ever mentioned as an issue for the main cast at all...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, a lot of MASH is clearly meant to reflect Vietnam, since the war was still going on pretty heavily when the show started in ‘72. Over time, that faded a bit, and there are definitely some episodes that touch on it being more on the 50’s.

And did they have an episode about them addressing their drinking? I know there’s one with a nurse friend of Margaret’s having severe withdrawals, and maybe one of the early episodes with Alan Alda’s dad’s character being drunk (That came to me as I typed this), but I honestly can’t remember it being ever mentioned as an issue for the main cast at all...

Yes. There was a later episode during the Potter era where Hawkeye stopped drinking for a while and became completely insufferable (deliberately, to show how much he and the other doctors relied so much on alcohol).

There was also a Trapper-era episode where Frank temporarily instituted a ban on alcohol when he was put in charge. Hawkeye, Trapper and Margaret promptly violated it with some booze they had hidden away.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

fartknocker posted:

Pretty sure there as an episode where Hawkeye was either too hungover to operate or else went into the O.R. buzzed and nearly hosed something up until a nurse or someone noticed it. It was one of those "personal guilt" episodes that was wrapped in an hour and never mentioned again as all the doctors went back to getting hosed up 24/7. I'm not a huge fan of the show but my parents watched it constantly so my memory of it is hazy but I seem to recall one show where being drunk was a thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Childrens Hospital and Murder One (but only the first season)

Wait, does Better Call Saul take up my lawyer slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Darkplace and that one episode of Always Sunny with the Bird Law