Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Ambaire posted:

Regarding steam review scores, has anyone ever done a study to determine how accurately they reflect the opinions of everyone who's ever played a game?

For instance, let's say a game has 60% positive scores, at 10000 reviews total. 6000 positive, 4000 negative. However, of the people who enjoyed it, only 30% wrote a review, compared to the people who disliked it at 70%.

The actual numbers would be 20,000 positive and 5714 negative, or in percentages, 78% positive and 22% negative.

Could be the other way, too...

That's called self-selection bias, and it's a big problem in most social research. When people are asked to place themselves into categories it always skews towards the extreme outliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Samuringa posted:

I did the same thing for my sister and as far as I know, no, they have to log in with your account and give permission for it to be used in that machine. They also are unable to start anything if you already are playing a game too.

Wait, isn't it just that if I play Game A, they can start Game B, but can't start Game A, and that's it?
Is it the full library that's not available for them, if I'm playing Game A or anything else?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fart of Presto posted:

Wait, isn't it just that if I play Game A, they can start Game B, but can't start Game A, and that's it?
Is it the full library that's not available for them, if I'm playing Game A or anything else?

No if you're both online it will not allow them to play anything from your library, not just the game you're playing. A little popup will show up and give them like ten minutes so that they can save their data and close down without being automatically booted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ambaire posted:

Regarding steam review scores, has anyone ever done a study to determine how accurately they reflect the opinions of everyone who's ever played a game?

For instance, let's say a game has 60% positive scores, at 10000 reviews total. 6000 positive, 4000 negative. However, of the people who enjoyed it, only 30% wrote a review, compared to the people who disliked it at 70%.

The actual numbers would be 20,000 positive and 5714 negative, or in percentages, 78% positive and 22% negative.

Could be the other way, too...

It's generally well-understood that online reviews aren't a representative sample of the population. There are some things you can do to try to make them more representative, but it's not clear that that's the biggest problem out there. Review bombs and fake reviews in general are much more important to go after.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steam reviews for well-known games are, in the aggregate, almost never out of line with that game's metacritic rating from other sources. The only instances where this isn't the case is when there's some horrible port job or monetization scheme that drives down the rating, which is pretty much exactly what you'd hope online reviewers would point out.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah. It's usually not right away and you won't get an alert about it or anything, but generally if the game launches on Steam you'll eventually get a key for it in your Humble key list.

I was looking for a kee for A Short Hike and couldn't find it. :(

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DooM Eternal is a real mixed bag. The new tools are fun, but on the other hand you have complete bullshit like The Marauders. The name of the game is Rip and Tear, not have an enemy you have to fight on their terms like a goddamn action-RPG. They're literally the antithesis of everything that makes DOOM good with an instant shield that will no-sell anything you throw at them so you HAVE to play by their rules. It's not even hard to fix, just change the shield to a regular old Plasma one that can be (eventually) cooked off them.

Ugh I just beat the first level related to that and I was hoping that’d be it. Wasn’t horrible but I don’t need to see it multiple times

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Sininu posted:

I was looking for a key for A Short Hike and couldn't find it. :(

I got a key for it a while ago so I checked and there is a notice on the page that says that they ran out of keys for A Short Hike.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Surge 2 is on gamepass now and goddamn I am really enjoying this game! I played a little bit of the first one and thought the idea was cool but it wasn't much fun to play. The sequel feels better in almost every way and the mechanic of "I want that weapon give me your arm" is rad as hell.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hub Cat posted:

I got a key for it a while ago so I checked and there is a notice on the page that says that they ran out of keys for A Short Hike.

Apparently that happened to many of those keys (or at least that was the case few months ago)
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/ecdppw/many_humble_original_keys_in_humble_monthlies_are/

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

If we are doing remote logon, any software that are easy to use, especially for him?
They are using Win 10 Home, and I have Win 10 Pro.

As others have answered, gotta do the whole remote login song and dance. DrNutt has also addressed the other caveat. It's ideal to library share with someone in a different time zone for that reason, or one of you use offline mode exclusively.

I think the easiest thing to use is Chrome Remote Desktop, especially if they already use Chrome. Download and install one thing from the link, generate a code and send it to you. You can then do the entire thing with login etc. Help article

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kennel posted:

Apparently that happened to many of those keys (or at least that was the case few months ago)
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/ecdppw/many_humble_original_keys_in_humble_monthlies_are/

Hmmm, Sounds like Humble royally stuffed up and gave away the keys without checking first and now the devs can't request more keys because Valve ties key generation to on-Steam sales to curb abuse(i.e. get their cut). Oof, really explains some of the Humble is shady Indie dev vaguetweeting I saw a few months ago.

"Ethereal Developer posted:

Sorry to hear that, but it makes sense. Steam did not approved the last 4 requests for extra keys.. it's very likely that they won't be giving us* (dev team) more keys, so there's nothing else we can do really.

Also sorry for the delay in my response, I didn't want to continue telling you folks that "keep waiting" or stuff like that if I didn't actually know what was going to happen.

Thanks a lot for your interest in playing ETHEREAL. I will update asap the DRM free version on HB Trove so you can play the latest version there too. Also the game will be 80% off during the winter sale, so there's that too.

Thanks again :)

Actually I'm not sure. If steam gives us more keys, we will provide them to HB subscribers, but it doesn't look like they will give more keys any time soon. I think it has to do with the relation between units sold (not a lot) and gaveways (a lot). And I don't think that would change very much in the future, sadly.

If you are a HB suscriber you can just play the version on the HB trove, which is the same as the one here!

A Short Hike Dev on Discord in December:
I think there might be a bit of a wait before the keys come in this time, there's some stuff that's out of my control right now, sorry :(
you might be able to play the game through the DRM-free download on the humble site
In light of this information I don't think people are going to be getting keys for these games anytime soon.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 22, 2020

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Albinator posted:

My 8BitDo M30 showed up today and now I can hit diagonals in Celeste. Yay!

I also got new glasses and can now actually see, though nothing in my world has a right angle any more.

There are two versions on Amazon, one without dongle and one with it, will the one with the bluetooth dongle work on windows? For some reason is cheaper but has the 2.4g thing on it and may be for the Sega Genesis mini while the one without the dongle has "Steam" on the box.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 22, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Been trying some of those silly limited-time demos to take a break from the crazy intensity of Doom Eternal. I think Filament's going to be pretty neat. Liberated has a wonderful aesthetic but it's a chore to actually play. Has anyone else found something notable in there?

why is there a Jay and Silent Bob game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DooM Eternal is a real mixed bag. The new tools are fun, but on the other hand you have complete bullshit like The Marauders. The name of the game is Rip and Tear, not have an enemy you have to fight on their terms like a goddamn action-RPG. They're literally the antithesis of everything that makes DOOM good with an instant shield that will no-sell anything you throw at them so you HAVE to play by their rules. It's not even hard to fix, just change the shield to a regular old Plasma one that can be (eventually) cooked off them.

just pop them with a bfg shot, it kills them instantly

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah liberated has a cool aesthetic but the gameplay sucks and im not a fan of how during gameplay it keeps the comic border instead of zooming in. its like being forced to play in a little window.

i liked operencia. check if out if 3d dungeon crawling is interesting to you. raji was very pretty but the combat seemed rather shallow. might be worth looking at.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm looking at two potential thingies while they're on sale:

Morels: The Hunt looks really rad, but I'm concerned about how engaging it remains over time- is this one of those "Play for a few hours, then never look at again" jobbies?

Iceborne looks tempting, but apparently it still has fairly major performance problems and bugs on PC?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Omi no Kami posted:

Morels: The Hunt looks really rad, but I'm concerned about how engaging it remains over time- is this one of those "Play for a few hours, then never look at again" jobbies?

The gameplay loop for Morels so far is that you spend 30-40 minutes exploring the same map, checking for morels and being ready to photograph animals (who may or may not show up). When the day ends/if you run out of energy, you head back to your cabin, buy supplies, and do it again the next day. Eventually you can unlock equipment like horses, as well as other maps.

It's very much a chill walking sim with some stuff to do, and I dig it - but I also decided I'd enjoy it best if I only played a day or two per IRL day, as otherwise I could get bored. You have to approach it with this chill mindset, as it's literally just walking around, picking up mushrooms, and taking pictures.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Omi no Kami posted:

Iceborne looks tempting, but apparently it still has fairly major performance problems and bugs on PC?

Talk of MH:W's problems on PC are overblown at this point. I play on a two-year-old rig and my friend plays with me on one that's roughly ten years old and it runs surprisingly smoothly when we play together, despite our very different setups and output capabilities.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Memnaelar posted:

Talk of MH:W's problems on PC are overblown at this point. I play on a two-year-old rig and my friend plays with me on one that's roughly ten years old and it runs surprisingly smoothly when we play together, despite our very different setups and output capabilities.

The latest big issue was that a significant amount of antivirus software was not letting people start the game, so the recommended fix right now is to go on and manually list it as an exception. While its not a huge deal its... not confidence inspiring

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The gameplay loop for Morels so far is that you spend 30-40 minutes exploring the same map, checking for morels and being ready to photograph animals (who may or may not show up)
It's just like actually going outside for a real walk! Except without the benefit of being good for you to make the repetition feel a bit more rewarding.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's just like actually going outside for a real walk! Except without the benefit of being good for you to make the repetition feel a bit more rewarding.

I mean, yeah. But also considering that right now I'm stuck at home with a bad cold and it's exhausting just walking my dog to the barn and back, yeah.

It's nice to play right before bed too, it's so chill and you can go into your cabin and turn off your laptop and go to bed and ahhh.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sorry, not making fun of you or anything, I'm just getting kind of a kick out of how much more of an actual "let's simulate the experience of going for a short walk" game this is than any walking sim I've ever seen - and how it somehow it manages to sound like a more enjoyable experience for it than any of them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Sorry, not making fun of you or anything, I'm just getting kind of a kick out of how much more of an actual "let's simulate the experience of going for a short walk" game this is than any walking sim I've ever seen - and how it somehow it manages to sound like a more enjoyable experience for it than any of them.

Aha, it's okay! And you're right, it is fun. Have some screenshots!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm having an issue and I'm not sure what the best place to post about it is, so I'll do it here. I'm trying to install the latest graphics drivers for my GTX 970. However, immediately after I hit "Agree and Continue" on the license agreement, the installer stops responding and I have to force close it. The part where it allocates the file works fine, the system check works fine, the license agreement makes the thing crash and burn. I cannot find anything anywhere about this. I've tried deleting and redownloading the installer, I've tried restarting, I've tried installing it in safe mode. none of it works. Anyone have any suggestions?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Run DDU.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Are you using Experience or just downloading the driver directly?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Hwurmp posted:

why is there a Jay and Silent Bob game

I think it's a promo for the other Jay and Silent Bob side scrolling beat-em-up in development, Chronic Blunt Punch (which looks like an awful mobile game from the screenshots).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

K8.0 posted:

Run DDU.

the duran duran universe? i thought the monster factory crew shut that place down

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Guillermus posted:

There are two versions on Amazon, one without dongle and one with it, will the one with the bluetooth dongle work on windows? For some reason is cheaper but has the 2.4g thing on it and may be for the Sega Genesis mini while the one without the dongle has "Steam" on the box.

I got the bluetooth one without an included dongle; my PC has a general bluetooth dongle that was purchased separately. That worked just fine OOB and you can use it wired with a USB cable too (there's one provided for charging). I think the 2.4g ones the dongle is specific for the console. From the manual I saw online, you can use one of those on windows/switch, but only wired.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

the duran duran universe? i thought the monster factory crew shut that place down

Duilty Dear Uxrd

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a i7-3770k with 8gb dd3 ram and a 1060. How different/improved would my gaming experience be with a new cpu (and new ram)?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 23, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Your wallet would take a hit since DDR4 RAM is the current hotness and you may as well replace everything for that upgrade. Your experience would end up being greatly improved with a new computer.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 23, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirSamVimes posted:

just pop them with a bfg shot, it kills them instantly

:wrong:

I saw one shrug it off with the shield.

What makes this especially frustrating is the Gladiator boss later in the game has the same basic gimmick, only it's much less tedious as he opens up a lot more and swings wide to give you easier opportunities to gently caress his day up.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 23, 2020

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

odiv posted:

Are you using Experience or just downloading the driver directly?

Just downloading it directly. I tried installing Experience but that also stops responding.

K8.0 posted:

Run DDU.

Did this, I think it must have successfully uninstalled my graphics drivers since my resolution is all hosed up now. However, no dice. The installer still stops responding after the license agreement.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

lunar detritus posted:

I have a i7-3770k with 8gb dd3 ram and a 1060. How different/improved would my gaming experience be with a new cpu (and new ram)?

Depends on what you play but 8 gigs has been bordering on not enough for a couple years now. As previously mentioned though, you'd need to upgrade everything to really get a modern cpu/ram and at THAT point the upgrade won't really be huge without a new GPU as well. Probably best to save up.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:wrong:

I saw one shrug it off with the shield.

What makes this especially frustrating is the Gladiator boss later in the game has the same basic gimmick, only it's much less tedious as he opens up a lot more and swings wide to give you easier opportunities to gently caress his day up.

Well you need to stagger them first. Bait out an eye-flash attack, hit them with a SSG which staggers them, and then the BFG is a guaranteed one shot. It's how I've dealt with every single one of those fuckers since the first one.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Blasphemous has an incredible aesthetic. Not so keen on some of the level design (so many instant deaths). Music is a banger too.

Well, maybe not a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6x4tj3PHuQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirSamVimes posted:

Well you need to stagger them first. Bait out an eye-flash attack, hit them with a SSG which staggers them, and then the BFG is a guaranteed one shot. It's how I've dealt with every single one of those fuckers since the first one.

That whole song and dance is the exact reason they suck rear end though. It's the only way to engage them instead of by your own tactics. Even the Pinkies just need you to get behind them, they don't bullshit out an insta-turn-and-block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

is the difference between super SG when the eyes flash and jump over them when they charge you actually that big