Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

PookBear posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_Pedersen
we make awful decisions when it comes to calibers.

Could've just stopped at MacArthur, re: bad choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The irony of today's announcement by Mutti is that it's not actually a legal escalation of what's already ongoing.
The thing that was expected in her address today was a country-wide curfew, and that didn't happen. The only state-wide curfew still in effect is in Bavaria, and I'm assuming the government eyeballed the large reduction in infection-quote over the last three days and decided against shutting the entire motherfucker down.

Well, she had a teleconference with the Länder (state) heads of government, and they agreed on uniform restrictions on public life for all of Germany. So I simply expect the other Länder will declare state wide curfews like in Bavaria very soon.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Flying_Crab posted:

For the US as a whole or within a given state? New York apparently has 12,000+ more positives today.

Whole

I've been keeping an eye on it here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Torrannor posted:

Well, she had a teleconference with the Länder (state) heads of government, and they agreed on uniform restrictions on public life for all of Germany. So I simply expect the other Länder will declare state wide curfews like in Bavaria very soon.

Yeah, as I just confirmed with my local DnD RECHTSANWALT in the Germany thread, that was my suspicion.

To be fair, it's a "smart move" from a marketing position that also fits into the federalism argument, so pretty much another case of "don't hate the player, hate the game".
Her announcement underlines the measures that need to be legally enforced, while deferring the actual Rechtsgrundlage of verhänging those measures to the Länder.

To be fair, I'm not even sure she has the legal authority to verhäng those measures bundesweit without legit breaking the glass and pushing "DAS BUTTON", so this is probably - and quite honestly - the smartest course of action to announce overarching restrictions that will come into effect, without carrying the panic-element you'd expect when the leader of a country goes on TV to announce that poo poo is getting shut the gently caress down.

Well loving played, Mutti.

(Now go drink those two wine-bottles you bought for imaging-purposes while on Quarantäne :colbert:)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, as I just confirmed with my local DnD RECHTSANWALT in the Germany thread, that was my suspicion.

To be fair, it's a "smart move" from a marketing position that also fits into the federalism argument, so pretty much another case of "don't hate the player, hate the game".
Her announcement underlines the measures that need to be legally enforced, while deferring the actual Rechtsgrundlage of verhänging those measures to the Länder.

To be fair, I'm not even sure she has the legal authority to verhäng those measures bundesweit without legit breaking the glass and pushing "DAS BUTTON", so this is probably - and quite honestly - the smartest course of action to announce overarching restrictions that will come into effect, without carrying the panic-element you'd expect when the leader of a country goes on TV to announce that poo poo is getting shut the gently caress down.

Well loving played, Mutti.

(Now go drink those two wine-bottles you bought for imaging-purposes while on Quarantäne :colbert:)

She is playing the 2 weeks card like everyone else and avoiding the truth. Short term wise, long term who knows how populations takes it when its week 5 and "just two more weeks of isolation" continues to play. Also the struggle between federal/local control and a coherent narrative for an invisibile, unknowable threat.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

lightpole posted:

She is playing the 2 weeks card like everyone else and avoiding the truth. Short term wise, long term who knows how populations takes it when its week 5 and "just two more weeks of isolation" continues to play. Also the struggle between federal/local control and a coherent narrative for an invisibile, unknowable threat.

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. There's no "truth being avoided" here. The largest state in Germany has already officially enforced a curfew, so this isn't some House-of-Cards type of finagling to say the right thing while not actually doing anything.
It's essentially carte blanche for the Länder to follow-suit with the more strenuous measures without causing the panic-effect a country-wide curfew would cause to spike, without overruling the federalism aspect.

There's, of course, the political shenanigans-aspect to it that she's not giving an official attaboy to the first minister president of her party to enforce a curfew in his state, while simultaneously quietly giving the go-ahead for states not run by her party to implement the same measures.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. There's no "truth being avoided" here. The largest state in Germany has already officially enforced a curfew, so this isn't some House-of-Cards type of finagling to say the right thing while not actually doing anything.
It's essentially carte blanche for the Länder to follow-suit with the more strenuous measures without causing the panic-effect a country-wide curfew would cause to spike, without overruling the federalism aspect.

There's, of course, the political shenanigans-aspect to it that she's not giving an official attaboy to the first minister president of her party to enforce a curfew in his state, while simultaneously quietly giving the go-ahead for states not run by her party to implement the same measures.

The line for shelter in place in the US is "2/3 weeks" depending on location. The reality is probably 2+ months and even that is not guaranteed. People want certainty and that's impossible to give at this point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Since there isn’t anything posted yet, the senate relief bill is garbage, a complete handout to corporations, and doesn’t have the votes. Cloture vote has been moved to 6pm as a result and will likely fail. Rand was at the capital today and interacted with a bunch of other senators, to boot. McConnell is still against remote voting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

McConnell is still against remote voting.

Rand Paul is usually the dumb gently caress spoiler vote against anything even slightly positive that the Republican senators are voting for so this might actually work in our favor

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Since there isn’t anything posted yet, the senate relief bill is garbage, a complete handout to corporations, and doesn’t have the votes. Cloture vote has been moved to 6pm as a result and will likely fail. Rand was at the capital today and interacted with a bunch of other senators, to boot. McConnell is still against remote voting.

How does congress handle voting with senators absent? Is there a quorum and things get passed with a majority, is there a bare number of people present required to do "business" or if enough people leave/get sick does congress just shut down?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Defenestrategy posted:

How does congress handle voting with senators absent? Is there a quorum and things get passed with a majority, is there a bare number of people present required to do "business" or if enough people leave/get sick does congress just shut down?

Mitch McConnell stands up and mumbles 'no' for 20 minutes, then the vote is postponed indefinitely.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Defenestrategy posted:

A quorum of 51 senators is needed to conduct business. From there, different types of things require different amounts of votes. Cloture requires 3/5th of voting senators, for example.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Millerheighife/status/1241717401147727882

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

This poo poo is getting seriously old.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Who’s this moron and why’d you pull his tweet out of a dumpster

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Weinstein is infected. Now I hope he has many years to spend in prison ahead of him, but him getting hooked to a ventilator for a while would be pretty cool.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Yeah, because unlike you, I deferred to the experts, didn't pretend I knew better than them, and immediately proposed solutions that you didn't take, like X, Y and, Z. I take the advice of medical professionals while they're busy facepalming in the background of your briefings. You're selling snake oil on twitter that you see on Fox News instead of leading the country. That's malarkey."

Not to mention that there's a bill being worked on in the Senate, that's a pile of poo poo, with a very finite time to work on it. Biden's been quiet for drat good reasons. He can't really do poo poo other than influence Congressional Democrats because anything sensible he publically says, Trump won't do.

Twitterlibs are being stupid right now. Sure, a crisis is actually the *ideal* time to be political, but Congress probably has 1-2 weeks left before everyone's gone for a month+.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I dunno man, Bernie Sanders organized a fund raisers and he is talking to people.

gently caress joe biden, where the gently caress is he?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

Well, where's Joe?

God forbid the Democratic nominee show some leadership.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

ElMaligno posted:

I dunno man, Bernie Sanders organized a fund raisers and he is talking to people.

gently caress joe biden, where the gently caress is he?

ElMaligno please confirm your ethnic group so I can best craft a dismissive and veiledly racist neolib explanation of why you're wrong to bring this up and how your concerns are secondary to *reasons*

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

Well, where's Joe?

God forbid the Democratic nominee show some leadership.

He's dealing with a loving global crisis, is that enough to keep him busy?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

So is Biden.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

maffew buildings posted:

ElMaligno please confirm your ethnic group so I can best craft a dismissive and veiledly racist neolib explanation of why you're wrong to bring this up and how your concerns are secondary to *reasons*

Puerto Ricans concerns have been secondary since 1898

Stultus Maximus posted:

Nice

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's what Bernie's been doing, I don't know what Joe is up to.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SimonCat posted:

That's what Bernie's been doing, I don't know what Joe is up to.

He has? I haven't seen him for days. Are you sure?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

What exactly is he doing?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1241826798767349766?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1241471645233053699
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/20/biden-coronavirus-plannings-139629

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

You asked the question. I just answered it.

And a tweet doesn’t really prove your point.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

President Trump's approval rating is rising because he is on TV every day and people desperately want leadership. The democrats are completely MIA; the only communication and ideas I see are from AOC, Tlaib, and Sanders, all of whom obviously have no pull with dem leadership.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

And a tweet doesn’t really prove your point.

Biden is not in Congress and he's not campaigning. He's staying in his home because as a private citizen in an outbreak zone that's exactly what he's supposed to be doing.

Best Friends posted:

President Trump's approval rating is rising because he is on TV every day and people desperately want leadership. The democrats are completely MIA; the only communication and ideas I see are from AOC, Tlaib, and Sanders, all of whom obviously have no pull with dem leadership.

That probably has more to do with the media you consume than anything. I just heard Schumer the other day.

Of course Trump is on TV every day. He's the president and he's also useless. Nobody else has been doing this, Democrat or Republican because everyone is trying to solve this crisis.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are you like, not paying attention to what is happening or taking this line solely due to not liking Sanders supporters?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Are you like, not paying attention to what is happening or taking this line solely due to not liking Sanders supporters?

Since I have been working a full time job from home while taking care of two toddlers my only source of news is NPR and no, I have not heard anything from Sanders or Biden in the last week. A simple Google search, however, found stuff from both. So my point is that saying you don't know what Biden is up to means that you haven't bothered to check.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What stupid goddamn argument

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Go back to C-SPAM.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Biden is, according to all reporting, at his house in Wilmington, Delaware, which is currently being equipped with equipment to enable Biden and a small staff to broadcast to networks and produce high-quality livestreams (i.e. not the extremely bad one they did before last week's debate), transitioning into an exclusively online campaign, with regular briefings beginning on Monday. He's also reportedly been in constant talks with various healthcare and national security experts, as well as Democratic legislators and governors for much of the past week.

If you want my guess, (And lord knows I could be wrong), what Biden wants to do is present himself as the face of a unified Democratic response, with legislation ready to be proposed in the House and Senate simultaneously. His stated goal for much of the past week has been to explain to people why Trump is responsible for the extent of the crisis and the nation's unpreparedness, and say exactly what he would do if he were in the oval office right now, going off of the collected advice of the experts he's been consulting. In short, he wants to show people what a Biden Presidency would look like.

As to why he hasn't been broadcasting the past few days, like Bernie has, my guess is that there's been a few reasons for that. Bernie, of course, has made livestreaming and online engagement a huge focus of his campaign, and has existing equipment and staff to handle it. Biden, of course, has not—which means that professional equipment and staff have to be acquired and hired, a process made all the more difficult by the ongoing pandemic. Bernie is also (from what I keep hearing) focusing his outreach efforts on directing people towards donating to charities and advising people on protective measures during the outbreak, which is absolutely commendable and a key demonstrator of why Bernie is just a good human being in general. However, Biden is seemingly aiming higher than that, and I would guess wants to try and make as big of a media splash as possible with an address tomorrow to directly contrast himself against Trump—and so is focusing all his time on talking to experts and Democratic legislators and governors to coordinate the response.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

I didn’t ask anything dude. I don’t care who wins the slap fight. I just answered your question and you’re lashing out.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Biden is, according to all reporting, at his house in Wilmington, Delaware, which is currently being equipped with equipment to enable Biden and a small staff to broadcast to networks and produce high-quality livestreams (i.e. not the extremely bad one they did before last week's debate), transitioning into an exclusively online campaign, with regular briefings beginning on Monday. He's also reportedly been in constant talks with various healthcare and national security experts, as well as Democratic legislators and governors for much of the past week.

If you want my guess, (And lord knows I could be wrong), what Biden wants to do is present himself as the face of a unified Democratic response, with legislation ready to be proposed in the House and Senate simultaneously. His stated goal for much of the past week has been to explain to people why Trump is responsible for the extent of the crisis and the nation's unpreparedness, and say exactly what he would do if he were in the oval office right now, going off of the collected advice of the experts he's been consulting. In short, he wants to show people what a Biden Presidency would look like.

As to why he hasn't been broadcasting the past few days, like Bernie has, my guess is that there's been a few reasons for that. Bernie, of course, has made livestreaming and online engagement a huge focus of his campaign, and has existing equipment and staff to handle it. Biden, of course, has not—which means that professional equipment and staff have to be acquired and hired, a process made all the more difficult by the ongoing pandemic. Bernie is also (from what I keep hearing) focusing his outreach efforts on directing people towards donating to charities and advising people on protective measures during the outbreak, which is absolutely commendable and a key demonstrator of why Bernie is just a good human being in general. However, Biden is seemingly aiming higher than that, and I would guess wants to try and make as big of a media splash as possible with an address tomorrow to directly contrast himself against Trump—and so is focusing all his time on talking to experts and Democratic legislators and governors to coordinate the response.

Biden is not doing any of that. He is an old man who should be enjoying retirement and his dnc campaign staff is thinking of ways to extract as much money as possible before it all goes to poo poo.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo Ace, all your politico posts are really good poo poo :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

I didn’t ask anything dude. I don’t care who wins the slap fight. I just answered your question and you’re lashing out.

Yeah, I'm pretty much out of patience for anything and especially idiot internet leftists who think that the guy who couldn't beat a senile old man and the world's most unpopular woman is the only flaw-free politician in America who can defeat Trump through the power of the socialist youth vote.