Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I said come in! posted:

So, I bought the Clone Wars Core Set but wanted to make sure, is there enough in that box for two people to play together? Or is there anything extra I might need, or want to add later on the two factions included? Looking forward to painting these figures as well.

The only issue might be lack of tools like the measuring tools and dice, but thankfully you can buy those separately now. A second box set is a pretty good value if you dont mind doubling up, short of Grievous and Obi-Wan youll get use out of the extra units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That’s how I’ve got 2 speeder bikes :v: Rex and 4 Phase 1 squads clock in at just under 500pts, and is perfect size for a skirmish match.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Finally got my hands on the Clone Wars core box. I know the clone troopers are the older plastic that needs superglue, but the droids can go together with plastic cement, like 40k stuff right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funzo posted:

Finally got my hands on the Clone Wars core box. I know the clone troopers are the older plastic that needs superglue, but the droids can go together with plastic cement, like 40k stuff right?

Yep!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ok, that's what I thought.
Also, words cannot adequately express how much I hate putting these droids together.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funzo posted:

Ok, that's what I thought.
Also, words cannot adequately express how much I hate putting these droids together.

I did one squad and decided that separatists will be my last army, if I ever even get around to them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My buddy with a droid army said much the same, until it came time to paint them. I think he spent ~10min per squad on them. Base coat -> paint weapon -> apply wash, and done!

I’m still scarred from playing IG in 40k, so I won’t be doing droids anytime soon.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just finished my clone army so far, and this clocks in right at 799/800. No light box yet, not that they’d all fit in there anyways.

Dag that is a sweet clean paintjob, I really like the Saber tank a lot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm one of the few who didn't have a problem with the old plastics and kind of liked not having to hobby the poo poo out of them from sprue all the way to guy.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just finished my clone army so far, and this clocks in right at 799/800. No light box yet, not that they’d all fit in there anyways.

I play 40k/Sigmar and am thinking about picking up Legion.

That picture showing a full list at normal point values is selling me harder than anything else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I've been kinda interested in this for a while and now that I'm stuck in the house all day, would anyone be interested in playing on tabletop sim?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Hey I've been kinda interested in this for a while and now that I'm stuck in the house all day, would anyone be interested in playing on tabletop sim?

I haven't really messed around in TTS but I think it has VR capability? I'll have to try it out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Dag that is a sweet clean paintjob, I really like the Saber tank a lot.

Thanks! It took the better part of a day (and I still missed a thing or two), but it’s as done as I want it to be.

Floppychop posted:

That picture showing a full list at normal point values is selling me harder than anything else.

So, the only things I bought that weren’t in the Clone Wars core set are Captain Rex ($10-15), and the tank (~$40 if you don’t have an FLGS to support). Me and a buddy split 2 CW boxes, I took all the clones and he got all the droids. A full clone army for ~$140, minus paints and such.

e: forgot about Obi Wan. You could do effectively this army, and swap the tank for him.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 23, 2020

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My problem is that I like everything about clones except painting that much white. With droids I have this dream of running Grievous and then a bunch of Droidekas and B2s.

So basically I'd go in on both clone wars armies.

I do have one of the first starter boxes, plus a rebel squad and a snowspeeder, but I just never got the motivation to go past assembly.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If I ever get around to doing Phase 2’s, I want to try contrast paints. Doing at least 3 coats of Pallid Witch Flesh as the base color got old fairly fast :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have an airbrush, so basecoats of devil colors like white and yellow aren't a problem. I just see stuff like Stormtroopers/clones and the black panel lining or black under layer at elbows and whatnot gives me the willies.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Floppychop posted:

My favorite part about the game is how ridiculous cheap it is compared to the hobby in general. $13 for a character compared to what GW charges means ive picked up characters i might never use just cause.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I had another army pic floating around, my Hoth list.

Commanders: Veers, generic officer
Operative: Vader
4x snowtrooper squads (w/ flamethrowers)
2x e-web blasters

799/800, 26 models total. Swap Vader for the AT-ST if you want something that can properly lord over all the scrubs it’s shooting at :getin:

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Speaking of, I just finished my AT-ST. It's still the greatest model in Legion, though the AAT will steal many hearts when it finally drops.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Icon Of Sin posted:

If I ever get around to doing Phase 2’s,

They're already out.

quote:

I want to try contrast paints. Doing at least 3 coats of Pallid Witch Flesh as the base color got old fairly fast :v:

I painted Stormtroopers' white with white primer, Contrast "Apothecary White." and bit of cleanup.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, I know it...but I’m done painting clones for a while :suicide:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh, I know it...but I’m done painting clones for a while :suicide:

Beyond painting fatigue, good luck finding a box of Phase 2's anywhere, ever

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the end it was not Asmodee being gutted by private equity ghouls that ended the line, but the collapse of civil society from a pandemic.

(I got 2 NIB phase 2 clones I'll trade each for 30 rounds of 5.56 green tip or some fish antibiotics)

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I'll send the clone wars starter in exchange for a pack of bog roll. But you post first.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I need to decide on which starter box to get. My problem here is that I love the bounty hunters in SW, which would make me lean the original box set and go Imperial.

But I also have a deep love of asthmatic robot boy Grievous. So I’m really torn. What are some pros/cons of Empire vs Separatists?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Cad Bane is coming for Separatists, so there will be bounty hunters there.

Pros for Empire: full army options are currently available
Cons for Empire: painting lots of white

Pros for Separatists: more interesting rules interaction w droids passing orders and AI restrictions (unless they are issued an order they must do a predetermined action),
Cons for Separatists: not much out yet, Asmodee not shopping anything new for a while now so I hope you like B1 droids.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, I would say that by far the biggest con right now for separatists is that unless you get really lucky and find a box of B2s somewhere, the only units you're going to have access to are what comes in the core box + Dooku. The clone side of the core is pretty solid but they have the same problem of access to units. I think Droid tanks and Rex are still sorta easy to find.

Separatists are also super spammy right now, so if you don't like the horde style they don't have much else to offer.

The cons for the original core are that Speeder Bikes are pretty awful, but they'll do while you don't have anything else. There are plenty of things out to replace them with. The rebel side of the core is OK but doesn't make up much of an army, points-wise. They also have tons of available options.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Speeder Bikes aren't awful, they're actually good. At the most recent big Legion event, the European Champs, the top list in Swiss and overall runner up was running triple speeder bikes. And there was another triple bike list in the top 8. Plus, speeder bikes look cool as hell.

BARCs are the worst of any core box unit by a decent margin.

Edit: If you're collecting clones, only get one of the core box, if you're collecting droids you want two. Because BARCs and Phase 1s aren't great, and B1s and Droidekas are good. And having 2 Greviouses is cool because he's got lots of build options, whereas Obi is monopose.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 26, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Screen grabs from the livestream.

https://imgur.com/a/aqCdJMd

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Screen grabs from the livestream.

https://imgur.com/a/aqCdJMd

Mandalorian beskar-armored troops for the Rebels?? :swoon:

head58
Apr 1, 2013

TotalHell posted:

Mandalorian beskar-armored troops for the Rebels?? :swoon:

Clan Wren

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

head58 posted:

Clan Wren

WHEN

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

who fuckin knows at this point, they're not shipping anything right now and they have delays at the best of times.

I like the look of the Republic AT-RTs but I already have 3 for the rebels so I'm no no rush to get them.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I hope 5 imperial snipers doesn't become a thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I have an Imp playing friend who loves Mandalorians. Gonna rub clan wren in his face so hard.

"Yeah Fetts cool i guess. I get a whole squad of em"

hoiyes posted:

I hope 5 imperial snipers doesn't become a thing.
It looks like Inferno Squad fills the same slot, special forces, so you cant take more than 3 anyway. If people want to field 3 snipers theyll probably keep fielding strike teams because of the point cost. Del Meeko is a named character too so you probably can only have one.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 27, 2020

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Nah, I mean you can take 3 sniper strike teams plus del meeko with a sniper rifle can attach to a stormtrooper squad and plus Iden can have her sniper rifle too. I don't think you'd ever take Iden's sniper rifle over her just-about-an-ATST main gun though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Ah I didnt see he can be included in a Stormtrooper corps unit. wow.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That repair 2 capacity 1 is probably even better than it looks on paper if you run him with heavies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You all were not loving around about assembling the Separatist droids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I said come in! posted:

You all were not loving around about assembling the Separatist droids.

I think you'll spend about the same amount of time per droid as I did per clone, but most of my time was wrapped up in painting. Seemed like my friend who did 4-5 squads of droids hated the assembly, but painting them was "dead loving simple". I think he primed them Zandri dust, painted their weapons black, and hit it with a light wash. 1 droid done in ~4 min or so, on the painting side.