Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

and of course if we didn't live itt, a centralized public health monitoring system where your iot thermometer automatically notified your colleagues you won't be able to come into work, notified your doctor to check in on you, etc would be great.

but we live here instead so of course its going to just be used to sell you ads

no, it would do the monitoring and reporting (along with the ads) but the information would be used punitively instead of benificially

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/Colettod/status/1241367291490701313
nothing wrong with ~smart thermometers~ but requiring an app means at some point your thermometer will stop working if you didn't charge your phone or upgrade when the company stops supporting your OS, which is bad enough when its your proprietary juicer or fish tank light, and exceptionally lovely when it's a product intended for medical diagnostics

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Your temperature is just another piece of data that is added to what's known about you, and for absolutely no purpose other than the people making it want the data. There's literally no benefit to having it display on your phone vs a tiny LED panel on the device itself. Still better than people who have over all their biometric data to some of whatever for the sake of wearing a smart watch, but still.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bike tory posted:

Your temperature is just another piece of data that is added to what's known about you. Still better than people who have over all their biometric data to some of whatever for the sake of wearing a smart watch, but still.

they're using that data to find out if you're hot enough to be a tiktok influencer

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Colettod/status/1241367291490701313
nothing wrong with ~smart thermometers~ but requiring an app means at some point your thermometer will stop working if you didn't charge your phone or upgrade when the company stops supporting your OS, which is bad enough when its your proprietary juicer or fish tank light, and exceptionally lovely when it's a product intended for medical diagnostics

The thermometers in question still have the display on the thermometer itself

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

bike tory posted:

Your temperature is just another piece of data that is added to what's known about you, and for absolutely no purpose other than the people making it want the data. There's literally no benefit to having it display on your phone vs a tiny LED panel on the device itself. Still better than people who have over all their biometric data to some of whatever for the sake of wearing a smart watch, but still.

i don't understand, what do they DO with this information? like what is the actual use of all of this data? getting the correct ads on your phone for every time you're fingering your rear end? cool great but WHY?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Pajser posted:

i don't understand, what do they DO with this information? like what is the actual use of all of this data? getting the correct ads on your phone for every time you're fingering your rear end? cool great but WHY?

it's largely useless but silicon valley VCs were easily convinced otherwise

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Pajser posted:

to sell to other companies

you might think but what do those companies do with it??? and look it's just turtles all the way down. That's how the economy works

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Pajser posted:

Pretty frustrating that this is the same question I get from IRL people when I warn them about the implications of mass information gathering. Your information can be used to extrapolate things beyond your rear end fingering. This isn't hard to research and understand on your own, and should be obvious on its face

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

to sell to other companies

you might think but what do those companies do with it??? and look it's just turtles all the way down. That's how the economy works

I like turtles

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Pajser posted:

currently they shove it all into machine algorithm deep learning tan beds that turn out garbage that means nothing but can then be sold for millions of dollars to people who dont know what to do with it but it looks good on a slide show to present so they get promoted and it all goes into a database that no one understands but the economy keeps on humming and your sneaker ads have 3 less words in them because those 3 less words resulted in a 10% uptick on user engagement but no one knows if that user actually bought anything but whatever promotion time.

in the future, surveillance and stuff like that weird guy above who wants his smart thermo to call his work for him.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Feral Integral posted:

Pretty frustrating that this is the same question I get from IRL people when I warn them about the implications of mass information gathering. Your information can be used to extrapolate things beyond your rear end fingering. This isn't hard to research and understand on your own, and should be obvious on its face

Giga Gaia posted:

currently they shove it all into machine algorithm deep learning tan beds that turn out garbage that means nothing but can then be sold for millions of dollars to people who dont know what to do with it but it looks good on a slide show to present so they get promoted and it all goes into a database that no one understands but the economy keeps on humming and your sneaker ads have 3 less words in them because those 3 less words resulted in a 10% uptick on user engagement but no one knows if that user actually bought anything but whatever promotion time.

in the future, surveillance and stuff like that weird guy above who wants his smart thermo to call his work for him.

so every time i post tramgh could be detrimental to my well being, if an rear end in a top hat government decides to deny me essential health service based on all of my trumgfs?

lol, that owns

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Pajser posted:

Sell it to insurance providers, targeted ads (meds sure, but also air conditioners, heaters, insulation , use your imagination), whatever.

People buy it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some quick guesses what could be done with thermometer app data: target specific ads, raise insurance premiums if you're sick a lot, tag you as high risk to for employers to hire if you're sick a lot

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also right now it’s a bunch of people trying to do data speculation. They don’t know how thermometer data will sell you more cars, but if they buy the data with an exclusivity deal for auto manufacturers then when someone figures it out, they’ll be the winner.

It’s cargo culting at its finest.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just off the top of my head, the obvious use of data on your like temperature, heart rate etc is for insurance companies looking for a reason to deny you coverage for conditions. Location is also an obvious one, police now routinely use location data as a drag net in criminal investigations. The whole Cambridge analytica thing is a pretty good example of how personal data can be used for very nefarious purposes.

I haven't thought particularly hard about this either, but you don't need much imagination to come up with some obvious harmful uses of all the personal data that's being accumulated about you. And consider that there are plenty of people who's job is to think up novel uses for this sort of poo poo, well beyond just trying to sell you cold medications when you've got a fever. "If you build it, they will come", basically.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Getting health information collected in bulk without HIPAA restrictions seems like an easy sell in the hellworld that is the USA health system.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

bike tory posted:

Just off the top of my head, the obvious use of data on your like temperature, heart rate etc is for insurance companies looking for a reason to deny you coverage for conditions. Location is also an obvious one, police now routinely use location data as a drag net in criminal investigations. The whole Cambridge analytica thing is a pretty good example of how personal data can be used for very nefarious purposes.

I haven't thought particularly hard about this either, but you don't need much imagination to come up with some obvious harmful uses of all the personal data that's being accumulated about you. And consider that there are plenty of people who's job is to think up novel uses for this sort of poo poo, well beyond just trying to sell you cold medications when you've got a fever. "If you build it, they will come", basically.

Dont forget that car insurance companies were raising rates on people for internal metrics they skimmed from credit like "bought tires that didnt cost enough", "went to a bar at some point last year", and other bullshit.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Pajser posted:

there's an entire field of research forming around mining data

the insidiousness of it is that the individual pieces of data don't seem like they would be useful at all, eg: your thermostat settings

but basically you can sell data, so everybody wants it

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
fish light? no sorry i meant flesh light. silly autocorrect

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
a lot of benign data can get rather nasty when you can collate a lot of it and plot out correlations. advertisers of course love it but it could be used to do things like gently caress with your credit score, deny you job opportunities, raise your insurance rates, or face legal discrimination when some random combination of your butt temperature, favorite colored lights, and sneeze frequency thrown into a vat monitored by some trained algorithm is able you deduce your personality profile and statistical probability for various actions or vulnerability to persuasive tactics. And thats assuming its done competently: your life can still get wrecked when that data is instead combined with handwriting analysis by some dude named Stu Fyattburg II resulting in some unvetted learning algorithm deciding you're in the 99th percentile for being an insolvent pedophile witch doctor.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

a lot of benign data can get rather nasty when you can collate a lot of it and plot out correlations. advertisers of course love it but it could be used to do things like gently caress with your credit score, deny you job opportunities, raise your insurance rates, or face legal discrimination when some random combination of your butt temperature, favorite colored lights, and sneeze frequency thrown into a vat monitored by some trained algorithm is able you deduce your personality profile and statistical probability for various actions or vulnerability to persuasive tactics. And thats assuming its done competently: your life can still get wrecked when that data is instead combined with handwriting analysis by some dude named Stu Fyattburg II resulting in some unvetted learning algorithm deciding you're in the 99th percentile for being an insolvent pedophile witch doctor.
There was a woman being interviewed on NPR awhile back who was an academic researcher who said she had built an algorithm that could tell if someone was gay or not based upon their Facebook profile, even if they weren't out, with some ridiculous level of accuracy.

Don't know if it's true or not, but people are looking to do that poo poo. And something like that would be very easy to weaponize.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Pajser posted:

Basically what everyone already said. It's sort of like currency or any system of value. Dollar bills are just pieces of paper, but everyone believes they are valuable, so they are. Marketing / data mining companies take this information and basically just sell it to each other, even if they don't do anything particularly useful with it. Maybe they aggregate it or calculate a new metric on it, but they don't extract really meaningful stuff.

Take a look at this graphic at about how many new marketing related technologies are introduced each year.

There is an enormous amount of redundancy.

Here's 2019

Goon Boots has issued a correction as of 10:03 on Mar 22, 2020

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

hell even a few years back, marketing algorithms were already 'figuring out' that people were pregnant before they themselves knew and advertising a bunch of baby poo poo at them
easy to see how that can go bad for someone in hell world whether they're actually pregnant or the dumb robot got it wrong
abusive partners / parents / employers spotting the diaper ads on your phone and circling round going YOU WHOOOOORE

vaguely has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Mar 22, 2020

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

vaguely posted:

hell even a few years back, marketing algorithms were already 'figuring out' that people were pregnant before they themselves knew and advertising a bunch of baby poo poo at them
easy to see how that can go bad for someone in hell world whether they're actually pregnant or the dumb robot got it wrong
abusive partners / parents / employers spotting the diaper ads on your phone and circling round going YOU WHOOOOORE

I thought the story was the woman knew she was pregnant, but was outed to her parents before she told them because she bought a bunch of baby poo poo at target and then they started sending fliers to buy more to her parents thinking she still lived there.

I wouldn't be surprised if what you're describing also happened, but the one I think I remember reading wasn't a shocking feat of machine learning or anything. Still dystopian tho

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She bought prenatal vitamins.

Something of a tell.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Thanatosian posted:

There was a woman being interviewed on NPR awhile back who was an academic researcher who said she had built an algorithm that could tell if someone was gay or not based upon their Facebook profile, even if they weren't out, with some ridiculous level of accuracy.

Don't know if it's true or not, but people are looking to do that poo poo. And something like that would be very easy to weaponize.

how did she validate that algorithm, did she go around asking ppl if they’re secretly gay?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://mobile.twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1241747894304210945

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

how did she validate that algorithm, did she go around asking ppl if they’re secretly gay?

It doesn't matter if it misses sometimes, only that it gets it right most of the time.

Also they can 'validate' these algorithms based on how many people end up clicking the ad that's targeted to them.

You start off training the algorithm on profiles that list that they are gay and train your program to find commonalities in these profiles to suss out what other profiles might belong to a gay person, even if they havent listed that they are gay. These people are some percentage likely gay and with lots of data and good model training it ends up being right a lot of the time

Substitute 'being gay' for any trait you want to select for

Feral Integral has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Mar 22, 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Feral Integral posted:

It doesn't matter if it misses sometimes, only that it gets it right most of the time.

Also they can 'validate' these algorithms based on how many people end up clicking the ad that's targeted to them.

You start off training the algorithm on profiles that list that they are gay and train your program to find commonalities in these profiles to suss out what other profiles might belong to a gay person, even if they havent listed that they are gay. These people are some percentage likely gay and with lots of data and good model training it ends up being right a lot of the time

Substitute 'being gay' for any trait you want to select for

This is the fun part of a lot of "academic research" on facebook, where if you work with someone at facebook you're allowed to run massively unethical experiments and cause harm or risk to your participants without informed consent, since facebook's internal irb will approve anything they want.

And the ability to use absurd methods like "if you clicked the ad that says 'I am gay' it means you're gay" is just gravy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Basically

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1061091401251745792

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

This is the fun part of a lot of "academic research" on facebook, where if you work with someone at facebook you're allowed to run massively unethical experiments and cause harm or risk to your participants without informed consent, since facebook's internal irb will approve anything they want.

I havent done web marketing for years but when i was you could just sign up for facebook ads and go to town, didnt need to talk to anyone or do anything other than make an account and add a credit card and boom away you go

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Feral Integral posted:

I havent done web marketing for years but when i was you could just sign up for facebook ads and go to town, didnt need to talk to anyone or do anything other than make an account and add a credit card and boom away you go

Facebook was allowing blatant redlining until like a year ago lol

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh yeah facebook making teens suicidal by messing with their recommends and mentions and then telling advertisers that depressed people are easier to sell poo poo to

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

a lot of the hype you hear about machine learning and data mining is extremely selective and doesn’t talk about their massive false positive rates (an inherent problem with data mining), unreliability, and black box problems.

it doesn’t really work but people think it does so the consequences are real.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Feral Integral posted:

hmmm sounds like facebook is systematically identifying and targeting the most vulnerable sexually-confused young men for recruitment into the homosexual lifestyle by bombarding them with grindr profiles until they give in to temptation. has anyone told mike pence??? he's gunna be furious at facebook for this until they agree to give him access to their lists

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

sugar free jazz posted:

a lot of the hype you hear about machine learning and data mining is extremely selective and doesn’t talk about their massive false positive rates (an inherent problem with data mining), unreliability, and black box problems.

it doesn’t really work but people think it does so the consequences are real.

This is one of the frustrating things about how machine learning is applied. In order to have a better understanding of its limitations, you need to have solid knowledge of concepts in probability and statistics, but it's been made relatively easy for anyone with basic programming knowledge (sometimes even without programming knowledge!) to go out and slap together some machine learning libraries, feed it some data, and get a result. They don't even know that the result they get might have issues, what those issues might be, and how to ameliorate them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

has anyone told mike pence??? he's gunna be furious at facebook for this until they agree to give him access to their lists
reminder that before it got stripped for its copper and discarded, Deadspin used to have some pretty great reporting on the massive spike in grindr activity and craigslist posts around CPACs and the RNCs

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Goon Boots posted:

This is one of the frustrating things about how machine learning is applied. In order to have a better understanding of its limitations, you need to have solid knowledge of concepts in probability and statistics, but it's been made relatively easy for anyone with basic programming knowledge (sometimes even without programming knowledge!) to go out and slap together some machine learning libraries, feed it some data, and get a result. They don't even know that the result they get might have issues, what those issues might be, and how to ameliorate them.

I think you are conflating some things here. Not all machine learning works like ganns or stuff goes in the black box stuff comes out.

The point is people can extrapolate a lot of things you might not realize from data points that dont necessarily seem related. Even if they are using a black box gan or something to generate marketing campaigns/target audiences its easy to verify the results through a little cheap a/b testing and then just select the ones that work.

Goon Boots posted:

Oh definitely right on that. I just wanted to gripe about those aspects of machine learning.

I got u and completely agree. computer touchers are very frustrating in general and tend to have terrible moral compasses in my real life experience with coworkers. brain-poisoned libertarian, opportunistic dum-dum spoiled rich white kids i need to stop signing my posts

Feral Integral has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Feral Integral posted:

I think you are conflating some things here. Not all machine learning works like ganns or stuff goes in the black box stuff comes out.

The point is people can extrapolate a lot of things you might not realize from data points that dont necessarily seem related. Even if they are using a black box gan or something to generate marketing campaigns/target audiences its easy to verify the results through a little cheap a/b testing and then just select the ones that work.

Oh definitely right on that. I just wanted to gripe about those aspects of machine learning.