Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg0l7f25bhU

Neva 4get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently I secretly had a microsoft account that's my name because I had a skype account that's my name which I hadn't used in 5 years linked to my email address from college.

I accidentally tried to log into it when trying to log into an azure virtual desktop thing earlier today when I didn't include the domain on the username and I thought "oh, I guess that's someone else's microsoft account." Then totally coincidentally someone asked me half an hour ago what my skype id was and I had to go back and look for it because I haven't used skype in such a long time, and I found that the account I had accidentally tried to log into earlier on a different microsoft website was my own skype account.

I feel like I'm going insane.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah the skype acct merge when ms bought it was confusing to me. Like I merged my skype acct with my MS account but it's still separate somehow/has the username associated with it. i don't really know what's happening with it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its like the google/youtube accounts. i log in with my google account but it still shows my original youtube account (and also, my google login is a separate youtube account, as well)

good poo poo!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You can have multiple Youtube identities linked to your Google account. This is useful if you're a "creator" (lol) or like to write comments (lol) because it allows for easy switching and creating of identities without requiring a full Google account for every one of them.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
google making youtube accounts in my name? the sovereign citizens were right........ :tinfoil:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

did you know? it's illegal to use a youtube name

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priest: like and subscribe
assembled congregation, in unison: and don’t forget to hit the bell icon for notifications of new videos

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

assembled congregation, in unison: and don’t forget to hit the bell icon for notifications of new videos

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My nine year old PC was having problems with CPU stuttering, meaning everything was lagging and the audio having a very fast robotic choppiness at random moments. My PC had sometimes done this, but only after days or weeks of uptime, and it went away on restarting, but it wasn't going away on restarting this time. New Explorer windows and GUI aspects like the right-click menu were taking seconds to open. My PC was being slower than my phone. After a few days, I found the solution.

First, I tried removing all the dust inside the case in case it was a problem with that. I went back in three separate times, using pieces of a paper towel large enough not to get stuck, probably over three or four hours, always finding more dust bunnies. I installed SpeedFan, and it said this lowered the temperature from 50C (which doesn't seem dangerous at all) to 35C, but it didn't help. I ran a cursory virus scan with AVG, and it found nothing. I tried defragmenting overnight, and the fragmentation went down from 8% to 1%, which didn't help with the stuttering problem. I ran a deep virus scan, and it found nothing. I ran chkdsk /r, then sfc /scannow, and it said my internal hard drive was fine.

After restarting and playing a video, I monitored the programs in my Task Manager and watched for spikes in CPU usage. SearchIndexer.exe had very short spikes in CPU usage of 25%-100%, and that was when the stuttering was happening. I went to Control Panel > Uninstall programs > Turn off Windows features > Turn off Windows search and disabled Windows search. It worked like a charm, the stuttering is gone, and my PC is back to being as fast as it used to be. I don't use Windows search much, and I'll re-enable it when I need it.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 24, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
plz source your quotes.

also good luck with your dying hard drive

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

infernal machines posted:

plz source your quotes.

also good luck with your dying hard drive

Yeah, I guess that's what's happening. Thank you. I'll make sure to have everything backed up.

Maybe if I had turned off Windows Search earlier, that would've prolonged its life.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 24, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if you leave the system off it'll prolong it even longer, food for thought.

but if the search indexer is pegging your system you either have a pentium branded potato for a cpu or the system is hanging because of io failures

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

probably not, search indexer just touches a lot of stuff so its more likely to trip a bad sector than something else

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

qirex posted:

hahaha

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

if you leave the system off it'll prolong it even longer, food for thought.

but if the search indexer is pegging your system you either have a pentium branded potato for a cpu or the system is hanging because of io failures

don’t forget the scheduling fuckery in “workstation” windows to make multitasking suck

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

tried to allocate some azure vms today. no room left in north europe.

azure is out of stock, god drat panic buyers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol how can clouds be out of stock just go get some out of the sky lmao

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
yes we know, people have been hoarding toilet paper for weeks

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Chalks posted:

tried to allocate some azure vms today. no room left in north europe.

azure is out of stock, god drat panic buyers.

just overprovision and make everyone suffer no big deal

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

just overprovision and make everyone suffer no big deal

Microsoft never anticipated this run on their VMs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

akadajet posted:

Microsoft never anticipated this run on their VMs

i don't think they anticipated anything on their VMs

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Selling you a software license for a computer that doesn't exist was always the microsoft endgame

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

microsoft continue to gently caress up the windows 10 ui for reasons that surely make sense to someone

what if we just made it a pain in the rear end to access things that people still regularly need to access for the sake of ui consistency, a thing that has never existed in any version of windows and no one who uses windows gives the slightest gently caress about

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 27, 2020

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they should have just scrapped everything from windows 8

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
some how i never used windows 8 but one of the RDSes i use for work runs on server 2012 so i guess bill grates got me in the end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

microsoft continue to gently caress up the windows 10 ui for reasons that surely make sense to someone

what if we just made it a pain in the rear end to access things that people still regularly need to access for the sake of ui consistency, a thing that has never existed in any version of windows and no one who uses windows gives the slightest gently caress about

lol the article is like “microsoft has been trying to get ppl to use new settings but people keep using the old one” but that’s simply because the new one simply doesn’t
hold all the same settings the old one does

it’s not a mystery

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the fact that windows has two control panels containing overlapping settings controls neither of which are likely to contain settings you actually want which will be either behind a powershell command or a gpl switch or simply nonexistent says everything you need to know about it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

they should have just scrapped everything from windows 8

or 1 op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so i have found that chredgium does not let you take screenshots of netflix content. i guess it's cooperating with some hdcp/drm bullshit to black out the screen whenever you try (with snipping tool, win+shift+s or printscreen). thanks microsoft.

chrome doesn't do this. how do i fix it?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

so i have found that chredgium does not let you take screenshots of netflix content. i guess it's cooperating with some hdcp/drm bullshit to black out the screen whenever you try (with snipping tool, win+shift+s or printscreen). thanks microsoft.

pull out your camera

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

stop using chregdium.

that's it. the whole reason chredge gets to play HD and UHD content from netflix is their version of the content plugin enforces these restrictions. if you don't like that, then stick with chrome or firefox where they don't and you have a lower res stream.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol, welp. and earlier today i was thinking "dang, i don't remember netflix being this sharp." guess that's it.

oh well. at least firefox doesn't enforce it either so i can still dump google for the few times i ever need to screenshot a netflix.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

chredge still won't play uhd for me, it tops out at 1080p, although everything claims it can do uhd, it doesn't.

legacy edge otoh still does 4k just fine, so whatever.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I assume you have the HEVC Video Extension from the Store installed (probably, considering ledge does play in UHD)?

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NMZLZ57R3T7

... or the free one if your hardware isn't old: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N4WGH0Z6VHQ

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Outside of HDCP it could be rendering the video in an overlay, and you need something like Fraps?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

I assume you have the HEVC Video Extension from the Store installed (probably, considering ledge does play in UHD)?

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NMZLZ57R3T7

... or the free one if your hardware isn't old: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N4WGH0Z6VHQ

i do, and obviously my hardware supports it, because the old version does uhd without issue. chredge just does not play uhd for me, period.

tbh looking around i can't find anyone confirming that chredge actually does play in uhd at all. there are sites that say it should, and there are people complaining that it doesn't, but no one has posted that it actually works with their setup.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

use the Netflix app. also this probably isn't an hdcp thing because if it was Microsoft would enforce it system wide. its likely a hardware acceleration problem because that's kind of wonky in chedge right now. chomium video performance isn't as good as classic edge so theres some work to be done to fix it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i do, and obviously my hardware supports it, because the old version does uhd without issue. chredge just does not play uhd for me, period.

tbh looking around i can't find anyone confirming that chredge actually does play in uhd at all. there are sites that say it should, and there are people complaining that it doesn't, but no one has posted that it actually works with their setup.

Edge Classic and the win10 Netflix apps are the only things that do UHD Netflix streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
except for the apple tv 4k and all the other things, sure