Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veD1-i5D_YM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
First case in my apartment complex today

Rip nice knowing you goons

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You just gotta make it 6 feet long, so you can whap people who get in your space.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

stab posted:

First case in my apartment complex today

Rip nice knowing you goons

quick, go on a poo poo posting spree for the ages while you still can

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My mom is 62 and intermittently wheezing with her coughs and was bad enough to be tripodding before. She says she'll wait til tomorrow to call her doctor. I told her that poo poo happens again and I'm calling an ambulance.

Do you have a car? Drivers license? Don't call an ambulance please. Just drive her

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
Regarding the loss of smell/taste:

The news here (Space Coast, Florida) has been making a big fuss about a local 28-year-old, seemingly healthy guy with pneumonia and suspected Covid. They mentioned that one of his symptoms was losing his sense of smell and taste.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/03/21/melbourne-pro-football-player-28-pneumonia-awaits-covid-19-test-results/2890834001/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

snake and bake posted:

Regarding the loss of smell/taste:

The news here (Space Coast, Florida) has been making a big fuss about a local 28-year-old, seemingly healthy guy with pneumonia and suspected Covid. They mentioned that one of his symptoms was losing his sense of smell and taste.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/03/21/melbourne-pro-football-player-28-pneumonia-awaits-covid-19-test-results/2890834001/

lol that people still think only olds are dying from this

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Google Butt posted:

lol that people still think only olds are dying from this

I think its more that people 30+ or so still have a non insignificant chance of being hospitalized but probably won't actually die in the hospital. Whereas if you're old then it looks real bad

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The fancy word for loss of smell is anosmia, and yeah, maybe stay inside if you're experiencing it.

https://twitter.com/ENT_UK/status/1241063677186449408

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

My "some businesses don't get it" story:

I got laid off at the end of December. Last Wednesday, I was offered a job. It's kind of a poo poo job comparatively - just a three month contract, about 40% of my previous salary. I stated filling out the paperwork and I found out that a drug screen was going to be part of the background check. I called my recruiter and basically said, "uh, I've been isolated for a week now and I don't want to go out unless it's absolutely necessary. Any chance they could waive it? There's a pandemic.". Friday afternoon, they passed this response along:

quote:

Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to waive this requirement, as this is standard. I am not sure what lab you guys use, but both LabCorp and Quest have put out responses to COVID stating that they will not be taking COVID sample or doing testing.

They have implemented sanitizing stations and is probably one of the safest places to be! Sorry we cannot be more flexible on this.

No, you fuckers, my home is the safest place I can be! And I know they're not collecting roni tests there, but I also know that some idiot with symptoms doesn't know that and will just show up.

I know I'm in an extremely privileged position, getting a job offer while so many are getting laid off, but it sucks. When I first agreed to interview for the position two weeks ago, I thought, "eh, it's not great, but it's something to do while I continue looking". But as we've watched the economy crumble since then, I've worried that I have to take this because maybe my other prospects are about to disappear. But if I have to get sick to get the job, well it's a contract, so no sick pay and all I've got to show for it is the roni. As it stands, I'm going to slow walk it as I have until Wednesday. I live in PA, and they're considering a stay at home order to match every other state around us so maybe that will save me.

On a related note, I work in the pharmaceutical industry with clinical drug trials. I'm going to try and put together an effort post tomorrow about my experience working on several vaccine studies.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Even in Italy, the recovery rate among those admitted to the ICU is 70% iirc.

But they are so overwhelmed that many cases have to be turned away, or never even moved from home. Younger and/or healthier patients take priority.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uvar posted:

The fancy word for loss of smell is anosmia, and yeah, maybe stay inside if you're experiencing it.

https://twitter.com/ENT_UK/status/1241063677186449408

Well, yay, that's great. I suffer from hyposmia at the best of times, and get fairly ansomic sometimes. As far as I can tell my damaged sense of smell is still about where it usually is, but it gives me one more thing to be a hypochondriac about.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mnoba posted:

quick, go on a poo poo posting spree for the ages while you still can

Been shitposting since 2003 aint no stopping me now

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Spinz posted:

Heat not cold hurts Covid

Reminder that this is pure speculation. Orange dipshit baselessly vomited it out early on and I’m pretty sure everyone since then who says they’ve “heard that” are referring to him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

as someone who used to live in the east village i mean yeah its a *bit* unusually quiet but it also looks like that any sunday morning if you get up at like 830am because everyone is still hungover/asleep

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Hazo posted:

Reminder that this is pure speculation. Orange dipshit baselessly vomited it out early on and I’m pretty sure everyone since then who says they’ve “heard that” are referring to him.

I read about it in official studies, completely unrelated to the stupid summer prediction
Coronaviruses in general

I will take a second and look for one

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Spinz posted:

I read about it in official studies, completely unrelated to the stupid summer prediction
Coronaviruses in general

I will take a second and look for one

Then I happily take back what I said. That would be good news.

cheezel
Feb 23, 2011
New Zealand's going total lockdown on Wednesday (level 4 - we will be level 3 to transition for 48 hours) for at least a month I think the Prime Minister said. Still got supermarkets, petrol, pharmacy and medical. The right call I think, we're still querying two community transmission cases and attempting to keep it low.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hazo posted:

i heard it from my father-in-law who is sri lankan and heard it from whatsapp gossip and was claiming as some point of pride that it wont spread in sri lanka because its too hot (they have 77 cases now and rising)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Hazo posted:

No problem
https://cntechpost.com/2020/01/28/does-the-sun-kill-the-new-coronavirus-expert-explains/

I've seen it elsewhere too since I'm reading the CSPAM Covid thread which had gold and poo in about equal measure

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

before you guys cum yourself over the lives of the GOP going down the shitter, remember that our pres is crazy enough to declare himself a literal God King and rule for eternity (about 5-10 more years), leading to a civil war that destroys the earth.

The GOP would just go along with him so what's the difference exactly

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I know this is a Wendy's drive thru, but I just have to rant for a bit.

The real human costs of this are going to reverberate for decades in ways we can't even imagine.

How many high school seniors that cant participate in track and field, or baseball, or any other spring sport, won't get a scholarship because no coaches could come see them compete? For how many of them was that the only chance they would ever have to go to college?

How many of them with a 4.0 but no SAT/ACT score, don't get to go to the school with the best program they're interested and talented in, because admissions can't take a chance on a student without a test score next to their name?

How many children being cared for by grandparents will lose them and be funneled into the foster care system? What will their outcomes be?

How many people in a trade school to be a plumber, an electrician, or work in HVAC, won't be able to continue their education or apprenticeships and what happens when there's a shortage of these workers?

What will the emotional toll be? On people who can't visit their elderly parents, grandparents or great grandparents? Who can't give them a kiss on the forehead and tell them "I love you" one more time. What about the people who have to decide which "ten or fewer people" can attend the ceremony for the deceased? What about those parents, grandparents and great grandparents who can't ever physically see or hold their great great grandchild?

This poo poo is going to be with us for a long, long time. And I don't really feel like I, or anyone else knows how it will manifest even after the virus is contained or eradicated.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Spinz posted:

No problem
https://cntechpost.com/2020/01/28/does-the-sun-kill-the-new-coronavirus-expert-explains/

I've seen it elsewhere too since I'm reading the CSPAM Covid thread which had gold and poo in about equal measure

While that confirms the virus doesn’t like heat, that article says it dies in 136 degrees for 30 minutes. I’d really like to know if more “normal” summer ambient temperatures could have an effect on suppressing it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

I got laid off at the end of December. Last Wednesday, I was offered a job. It's kind of a poo poo job comparatively - just a three month contract, about 40% of my previous salary. I stated filling out the paperwork and I found out that a drug screen was going to be part of the background check. I called my recruiter and basically said, "uh, I've been isolated for a week now and I don't want to go out unless it's absolutely necessary. Any chance they could waive it? There's a pandemic.". Friday afternoon, they passed this response along:

No, you fuckers, my home is the safest place I can be! And I know they're not collecting roni tests there, but I also know that some idiot with symptoms doesn't know that and will just show up.

I know I'm in an extremely privileged position, getting a job offer while so many are getting laid off, but it sucks. When I first agreed to interview for the position two weeks ago, I thought, "eh, it's not great, but it's something to do while I continue looking". But as we've watched the economy crumble since then, I've worried that I have to take this because maybe my other prospects are about to disappear. But if I have to get sick to get the job, well it's a contract, so no sick pay and all I've got to show for it is the roni. As it stands, I'm going to slow walk it as I have until Wednesday. I live in PA, and they're considering a stay at home order to match every other state around us so maybe that will save me.

On a related note, I work in the pharmaceutical industry with clinical drug trials. I'm going to try and put together an effort post tomorrow about my experience working on several vaccine studies.
who

Hey, I work for a CRO in clinical drug trials on vaccines as well as a CRA, look forward to the post. Good luck!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Hazo posted:

It’s common for heat to inactivate biological things and cold (not freezing) to preserve them. Proteins tend to misfold above a certain temperature (varies by protein) and then are permanently hosed. This includes, say, the proteins that a virus uses to infect you or protect its genome.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Hazo posted:

While that confirms the virus doesn’t like heat, that article says it dies in 136 degrees for 30 minutes. I’d really like to know if more “normal” summer ambient temperatures could have an effect on suppressing it.

Something I read that was counterintuitive for me was that humidity helps reduce the aerosolibilty (its a word now) compared to lack of humidity. I would have thought drying out=good but instead it means the water evaporates and the virus can float free in the air longer.

I need to stop reading, yea

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zugzwang posted:

It’s common for heat to inactivate biological things and cold (not freezing) to preserve them. Proteins tend to misfold above a certain temperature (varies by protein) and then are permanently hosed. This includes, say, the proteins that a virus uses to infect you or protect its genome.

I absolutely understand that. I think what a lot of people want to know is if the virus will be affected by summer weather, as Cheeto suggested.

^^^ it makes sense if you view it as the air is saturated with moisture so there’s less “room” for viral particles to float around. I’m not sure where we currently stand regarding knowledge of the virus’s aerosolibility though

Hazo fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 23, 2020

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hazo posted:

Quick! Everyone get a warehouse job in Florida! The heat lasts all night long.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WaffleZombie posted:

Are you isolated for a specific reason or are you just practicing social distancing in general, to avoid getting sick and to prevent others from getting sick because you're a good person? If the former, explain that reasoning. If the latter, just go; it sucks that they're making you do this superfluous thing but in the grand scheme of things you're doing a somewhat-important thing in a very low-risk way if you're diligent about sanitation and basically just going there and back.

That business is definitely in the wrong here but you can't ever expect corporate stooges to do the right thing.

Hazo posted:

The Orange dipshit was talking about summer vs winter outdoor temperatures. That's a pretty different temperature range from what's being asked about here: putting PPE in a freezer vs lightly baking them in an oven for disinfection and reuse

This coronavirus has been noted to survive well in freezing temperatures and does not stand normal cooking temperatures, e.g. if you're killing normal food pathogens then you're also killing the coronavirus. So between the two, freezing vs baking, freezing won't work at all and baking could work, but you may damage the PPE in the process.

This is independent of whether or not it will go away on its own in the summer (that's speculative, it almost definitely won't but transmission rates may be measurably reduced)

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

gotta tell ya, I havent liked Cuomo for a long time, but he's killing it. He could run for president and knock Biden down.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Anyone who thinks it'll just vanish in the summer heat has forgotten that the southern hemisphere exists.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hazo posted:

I absolutely understand that. I think what a lot of people want to know is if the virus will be affected by summer weather, as Cheeto suggested.

It's spreading in the Caribbean so I wouldn't count on it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Jabor posted:

Anyone who thinks it'll just vanish in the summer heat has forgotten that the southern hemisphere exists.

Gotta love that seasonal corona!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Reminder: Iran has the hottest temperatures recorded on Earth.

Iran is the 6th most ronied country right now.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Iranians also drank wood alcohol to cure the San Francisco Treat(TM). I hope they find their way.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Bronze Fonz posted:

Reminder: Iran has the hottest temperatures recorded on Earth.

Iran is the 6th most ronied country right now.

Tehran is like 40 degrees Fahrenheit and raining right now

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

madeintaipei posted:

Quick! Everyone get a warehouse job in Florida! The heat lasts all night long.

That'll kill you too

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

gotta tell ya, I havent liked Cuomo for a long time, but he's killing it. He could run for president and knock Biden down.

I kinda agree here

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Soysaucebeast posted:

Well, I finally saw a co-worker (we work solo on the weekends and I was off Thurs/Fri/Sat) who explained why we can't work from home when literally every other person in the office is. I work as a dispatcher, and the IT guys can't figure out a way to get our inbound calls to forward to our laptops at home. They thought they had it figured out, but since we share desks (WHY), they can't find a way to get the hard phones to forward from one employee to another without someone logging those employees in/out on the physical phone. So now they're just going to have us spread out a little more and try not to cross-contaminate at shift change. I have three people in my department over the age of 55, two with children at home, and an elderly smoker who already had to have surgery last fall for smoking related reasons.

Also, that elderly smoker has apparently called in sick the last two days. No one knows what her symptoms are, but I mean, it can't be good. I'll give y'all live updates if I get the roni (I'm going to get the goddamn roni).

Late to this, but I am in the exact same position you are (dispatch/IT is a gently caress).

We're still all sharing offices/desks because our IT wants to scream their uselessness from the rooftops, re: can't be arsed to set up new offices, even if there are more than a few that are available. That means setting up more Cisco phones and that takes time and effort!

We're in a high-traffic corridor as well, lol, even for the remaining employees, of which there are enough to make anyone legitimately worried. Except we have TWO elderly smokers, one of whom had a heart attack semi-recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Some CBS reporter was saying the CDC tomorrow may tell people it's okay to let exposed people go back to work if they wear masks.

If that happens I can't even...