Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
one thing that's really messing with my brain is how nice it's been outside for the past few days. Still a chill in the air, but the flowers are blooming and the sun is shining and winter's finally loving off. Normally this is when my mood really lifts after the long winter, but the dissonance between that and this whole situation is utterly bizarre.

E: Blink 182 are a band that I liked to listen to in my teens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Day 5 at home and the boiler is making a huge banging noise, "kettling" apparently. Lucky there's an immersion heater for the kitchen and office.

our boiler has been hosed for 3 weeks but we've been in quarantine, we had a man over who said it needs replaced or new parts
but we told our letting agent we are quarantined coz they asked, now the property manager wants us to repair it over the phone lmao. i have a hammer and a screwdriver

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Communist Thoughts posted:

our boiler has been hosed for 3 weeks but we've been in quarantine, we had a man over who said it needs replaced or new parts
but we told our letting agent we are quarantined coz they asked, now the property manager wants us to repair it over the phone lmao. i have a hammer and a screwdriver
Pretty sure you aren't allowed to fix a gas boiler via instruction over the phone. But these are interesting times.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Was in a bargain supermarket place today. Was pretty empty so wandered round pretty alone. But then at the end they only had 2 checkouts open it off like 10. But they were the ones right next to each other so everyone had to awkwardly bottleneck together on the way out. Seems like theres a thousand small things like that we should be avoiding to moneyball ourselves through this.

I live in a rural area. The main reason social distancing isn't working here is that we're being flooded with plague refugees from the cities. We don't have many confirmed cases here yet, so the incomers are treating it as a safe zone and getting into everyone's faces. There are several unconfirmed pockets of infection locally already.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Pretty sure you aren't allowed to fix a gas boiler via instruction over the phone. But these are interesting times.

these times they do be interesting tho

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Who is the most famous person to die from it so far? There are a fair number of pretty famous actors in their 80s.

An Egyptian general just died of it, and given how they worship their military that might be enough to make them take it seriously over there. A lot of 'inshallah' going on in the Middle East. My Saudi friend was moaning about it the other day said it's all "It's gods will, punishment from god' etc etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I have a sickle you can borrow.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah you need to be Gas Safe certified, and I don't think they've extended that to remote work through Skype. They'd have to post you the monoxide and emissions unit they use to run the final check too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

I live in a rural area. The main reason social distancing isn't working here is that we're being flooded with plague refugees from the cities. We don't have many confirmed cases here yet, so the incomers are treating it as a safe zone and getting into everyone's faces. There are several unconfirmed pockets of infection locally already.

Gwent is a hot spot. Monmouthshire, Newport, Cardiff, Caerphilly

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Nowhere near there. Llyn peninsula.

There are rumours of a case in my village, although that might be just someone hearing someone else cough. Definitely cases in some of the local towns, though.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 22, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Monmouthshire, Newport, Cardiff, Caerphilly
And now I have the ending of Pride in my head.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

Immunity to BCG pain was one of my two superpowers in secondary school. The other power was the ability to store and aggressively transmit the static electricity from CRT monitors in the computer rooms.

Lol we might be the same people, except for me it was the Van de Graaf generator in the science classroom - me and my mate both wore DMs so could store up enough charge to actually leave scorch marks, especially on ears.

It's possible I might have been able to do the same trick with the monitors but I wasn't allowed in the computer room* for reasons that might have had something to do with the teacher using his middle name as his password. Ahem.

*singular, because it was the 80s, and somehow we had as many classrooms dedicated to sewing machines as we did to computers

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Yeah, its the first, on my Samsung. And while its not gonna be reliable, anything that says "youre not currently dying of pnuemonia" is much appreciated.

Edit: This is in reply to a post about a page ago about the oxidation sensor.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I live in Caerleon, I bet all those fuckers are going to come and cough all over the Roman amphitheatre.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1241383725285478400

For reference the NHS has around 5,000 ventilators total.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm buying 10 Ferrari's.

I mean is it true?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Weasling Weasel posted:

Yeah, its the first, on my Samsung. And while its not gonna be reliable, anything that says "youre not currently dying of pnuemonia" is much appreciated.

Edit: This is in reply to a post about a page ago about the oxidation sensor.

What's the app called so I can see if I have it?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1241383725285478400

For reference the NHS has around 5,000 ventilators total.

This is convincing liberals he'd be a good president lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

learnincurve posted:

Am I the first one in the thread to have the rona?

I’ve been absolutely self isolated for 12 days and now am at “making turnip crisps on twitter”.

Minicurve’s class had a Typhoid Mary who decided to hold off on telling her parents till she was near collapse, because she didn’t want to miss her mock exams, and had already passed whatever it was to mini and then me - she tested positive for coronavirus and has had to do the text message circle of shame.

No coughs, mini had a very high temp and both of us have had dizziness, fatigue and oh god my bones hurt.

It’s the waves you will learn to hate, mini has had this thing for two weeks, thought she was over it and then felt like poo poo again today.

I think I've had it since about the 20th (Well, I've had it since before then but that's when symptoms began) because I've had a fever, dry cough, fatigue, and some headaches into the bargain. Mum today has been feeling very crap as well. No mucus from either. I'm feeling a bit better this evening than I have been so fingers crossed it's been a mild dose of the ol' Covid-19 and I'm soon to be immune, and not a serious dose that rebounds and kicks my head in, and also that my asthamtic wee mammy doesn't suffer too badly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status...ingawful.com%2F

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bardeh posted:

one thing that's really messing with my brain is how nice it's been outside for the past few days. Still a chill in the air, but the flowers are blooming and the sun is shining and winter's finally loving off. Normally this is when my mood really lifts after the long winter, but the dissonance between that and this whole situation is utterly bizarre.

E: Blink 182 are a band that I liked to listen to in my teens

In all seriousness, there's a good chance the pleasant weather is a result of coronavirus, because the dramatic reduction in travel means there's less cloud cover because there's fewer planes seeding clouds with their exhaust.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah there's going to be a serious issue with gas servicing and regulatory timelines. i'm really of the opinion of absolutely stopping them as the spread factor of engineers overweighs lives saved. gas safe register is trying to push it forward and get landlords to prove they made all attempts possible, but the potency of the transmission vector makes this far too dangerous

anyone want to weigh in on this at all? given how slow the regulators have been it's make decision now and they'll catch up in a few weeks and any punishment doesn't compare to potential of lives lost in the interim

there's the fun part of smoke alarms and co detectors expiring while we're in lockdown as well

e: let me put it this way how would you react if your landlord stopped all servicing for your health?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/s...ingawful.com%2F

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

e: let me put it this way how would you react if your landlord stopped all servicing for your health?

our letting agency doesnt even know if our landlord is alive

so, indistinguishable

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)

kecske posted:

babies get it before being discharged from hospital now

They've stopped giving the BCG to babies now. You have to be very specifically at risk to get it now, e.g. live in a community that has a very high incidence rate. Apparently this is down to a shortage of the vaccine, but there's no plan to give the vaccine when the shortage is resolved.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

theworstpersonyouknow.jpg

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Vrih posted:

They've stopped giving the BCG to babies now. You have to be very specifically at risk to get it now, e.g. live in a community that has a very high incidence rate. Apparently this is down to a shortage of the vaccine, but there's no plan to give the vaccine when the shortage is resolved.

my babby had it 9 weeks ago at a central London hospital. It was procedure then to give it to them all, although areas of west London (ealing etc) do have very high incidences of TB. I live in islington though so :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the app called so I can see if I have it?

Samsung Health. It should be default on your phone if you have a Samsung.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Interesting, presumably it uses the camera and light? I remember seeing something about this being possible in software a while ago, because "proper" pulse oximiters now are basically just an LED and a light sensor with some clever, but surprisingly basic, signal processing - by far the most expensive component (on something you can pick up for under a score, although that's probably changed now) is the display.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

So not a generic android app then :( BUT I might be in the market for a new phone which would probably be a Samsung soon if my new battery doesn't arrive from China! (Ordered mid Feb). (It might not be the battery anyway).

Lidls looking for short term contract assistants.

https://careers.lidl.co.uk/stores/stock-assistant

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/MannyDuran/status/1241861378396258308

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
if you don't retweet this, we'll kill this dog

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NandosUK/status/1241863301493121029

Well, there goes the Change UK putsch.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Has anyone considered that Coronavirus might just be fake.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Okay, this is probably my brain frantically clutching at straws, but I don't believe McDonalds and Nandos would be closing without being forced to if they didn't believe that the closure would be short term - a month at most - and they're hoping a combination of government money and goodwill will let them cover the losses over the medium-to-long term.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Has anyone considered that Coronavirus might just be fake.

Boy do I have some websites for you!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Had a lovely dinner with the gfs fam, then the nephew went home and called an ambulance for his barely conscious girlfriend. He did not tell us she had a fever for the last few days.

Followed by an exasperated phone row between family members who all admitted they'd developed a persistent cough this week. None of them would've said poo poo before she was due to return to work.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Interesting, presumably it uses the camera and light? I remember seeing something about this being possible in software a while ago, because "proper" pulse oximiters now are basically just an LED and a light sensor with some clever, but surprisingly basic, signal processing - by far the most expensive component (on something you can pick up for under a score, although that's probably changed now) is the display.

It just uses the light, which doubles as the fingerprint scanner as I recall.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Spangly A posted:

Had a lovely dinner with the gfs fam, then the nephew went home and called an ambulance for his barely conscious girlfriend. He did not tell us she had a fever for the last few days.

Followed by an exasperated phone row between family members who all admitted they'd developed a persistent cough this week. None of them would've said poo poo before she was due to return to work.

Let me tell you about a new concept called "social distancing"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Marmaduke! posted:

Let me tell you about a new concept called "social distancing"

Yeah this one is kinda on you too Spangly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Don't fail me now, Gibbo