Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

ElGroucho posted:

And how dare they politicize this by including Trump, who is also a poor man

I get your point but dont use homeless people as a prop for your cause. They are deserving of dignity and food without using them even for a cause you feel strongly about. Hell I would buy one of those stickers to support their cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So you're saying they should've kept the food for themselves, or sold it for a profit?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/giveintomestan/status/1241438790054535174

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Xarbala posted:

So you're saying they should've kept the food for themselves, or sold it for a profit?

Or just given them the food without making it something more than helping their fellow man in a time of need. But maybe I'm just jaded from the years of youtubers using homeless people as props in their quest for fame and not actually doing anything to support the underlying issues.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

"Pretending to be selfless to forward your own goals is bad" is a good take. "Good deeds lose all value if you film yourself doing them no matter what your motivations" is an extremely weird, bad offshoot of that take.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're assholes for filming themselves stealing because that's a scrub tier level of criminality. They're ok for giving aid to homeless people.

Conclusion: Seem like ok assholes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I just like the fact they stole poo poo from a store to give to people who needed it and posted the video as a "gently caress you" to said store. It's not like they started with "HEY GUYS, IT'S YOUR MAN DIRECTESTACTION HERE WITH MS. DIRECTESTACTION TO GO ON ANOTHER FIVE-FINGER SHOPPING SPREE! DON'T FORGET TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE AND CHECK OUT OUR PATREON FOR BONUS BLOOPERS AND BEHIND-THE-SCENES FOOTAGE WHERE WE PAID FOR THE STUFF!"

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Atticus_1354 posted:

Or just given them the food without making it something more than helping their fellow man in a time of need. But maybe I'm just jaded from the years of youtubers using homeless people as props in their quest for fame and not actually doing anything to support the underlying issues.

They're taking immediate action to address an immediate need and help a population that is, and always has been, in dire need of support.

In the time it would take for any of them to, say, run for a city council seat, many of the people they are providing material support to will be dead.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Atticus_1354 posted:

So I take it you're a shift manager at whole foods?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

How is it self serving? They are using their own time and risking legal action against them, doing something the government should already be handling. They are selfless heroes.

This is a joke, right?

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

puppets freak me out posted:

They're taking immediate action to address an immediate need and help a population that is, and always has been, in dire need of support.

In the time it would take for any of them to, say, run for a city council seat, many of the people they are providing material support to will be dead.

Yeah there's nothing in between "filming the whole ordeal for those sweet likes" and "running for city council".

I wonder if they asked the homeless if it'd be cool to film them?

Why'd they throw the bags at most of them? Afraid they'd get dirty?

Whatever, you guys think it's badass that they're sticking to a grocery store of all places and I'm the idiot thinking of the dignity of the homeless.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

central dogma posted:

Social distancing is a thing with the COVID going down, if you can't see such a simple point not getting any of this is all on you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

central dogma posted:

Maybe because it increases both their and the homeless persons chances of living?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Lot of store-loving bootlickers itt

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

central dogma posted:

Gee, disinfectant was included in these and packages, I guess that means they think homeless people are inherently dirty! There's nothing happening right now whatsoever that would make me think otherwise.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Protect the homeless dignity at all costs, teach them to use their bootstraps

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

central dogma posted:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"dignity of the homeless" my rear end

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

central dogma posted:

Good on you for pointing out the obvious understatement. My point still stands. I like that people in need were helped, but this is the most wreckless and self-serving way to do it.

eat poo poo lib

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ElGroucho posted:

Protect the homeless dignity at all costs, teach them to use their bootstraps

to hang the rich

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was uncomfortable with and disapproving of the theft on display but grudgingly admitted they were ultimately doing a good deed and was basically just going to stay neutral and not chime in on the discussion then I read the thought processes of the people condemning the thieves and decided, no, gently caress it, maybe I am on the thieves' side for this one.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I was uncomfortable with and disapproving of the theft on display but grudgingly admitted they were ultimately doing a good deed and was basically just going to stay neutral and not chime in on the discussion then I read the thought processes of the people condemning the thieves and decided, no, gently caress it, maybe I am on the thieves' side for this one.

welcome comrade

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chard posted:

welcome comrade

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

More seriously, businesses are making money hand over fist as everyone panic buys poo poo. They're still going to be making bank and this is the only way that the forgotten parts of society will have any chance at getting goods like this.

Businesses have spent so much time / effort / money on making sure they keep the wealth and people miss out so gently caress them when someone takes a direct step to help the downtrodden.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

I think, if they have an ideological reason for doing this, as they seem to (hence the political stickers), then maybe publicizing this is their way of trying to affect change wrt underlying issues. And the change they mean to affect seems to be "we think the system is hosed up to the point where we're going to do crime as a radical means to try to salve the symptoms and by publicizing our actions we are encouraging others to do the same." Whether you think they're effective or even the morally right thing to do is another story, but when radical right wing look for ways to legally get away with murdering minorities (see: how often conservatives like to abuse stand your ground laws in Florida), seeing radical lefties commit such horrors as... giving food and disinfectant to homeless people during a pandemic scare? I have a hard time mustering outrage against them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inceltown posted:

More seriously, businesses are making money hand over fist as everyone panic buys poo poo. They're still going to be making bank and this is the only way that the forgotten parts of society will have any chance at getting goods like this.

Businesses have spent so much time / effort / money on making sure they keep the wealth and people miss out so gently caress them when someone takes a direct step to help the downtrodden.

also this, but specifically about big retail in particular

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

central dogma posted:

Yeah there's nothing in between "filming the whole ordeal for those sweet likes" and "running for city council".

I wonder if they asked the homeless if it'd be cool to film them?

Whatever, you guys think it's badass that they're sticking to a grocery store of all places and I'm the idiot thinking of the dignity of the homeless.

You are a stupid person.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Helping the homeless is good but you're doing it wrong!
:goonsay:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm only upset that I'm not brave enough to do the same.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm only upset that I'm not brave enough to do the same.

*sadly nods in agreement*

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
"there are better ways to do things"

sagely spoke the big ol baby bootlicker

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I am all for helping the poor at the expense of the rich (who are too often rich to degrees that are comically impractical for the human mind to actually hold onto with any real weight) but let's be kind to one another, in this forum.

I feel like we're all on the same page, if sometimes in different paragraphs.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCR03UDggA
The guys running are badass, but the cameramen are amazing, keeping up with the runners while filming super smoothly over rough terrain.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well, I'm jaded by all the people who don't give a single poo poo about charity unless it includes a snappy slogan or recognizable picture, so I'm A ok with them Dump-ing away.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

yaffle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DCR03UDggA
The guys running are badass, but the cameramen are amazing, keeping up with the runners while filming super smoothly over rough terrain.

If you want badass running check out this film on the Berkley Marathon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDZdsqbcGTU

The Berkley Marathon is an extemely hard ultrarunning event where the start is signalled by a man blowing on a conch shell anytime in a 12 hour window, the course is off trail and you need to collect pages from book to prove you've been to each checkpoint. Every time someone completes it the course is changed to get harder. The current course is somewhere in the region of 120 miles which you need to complete in under 60 hours.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/crazyinrussia/status/1243318138671894529?s=21

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Aramoro posted:

The Berkley Marathon is an extemely hard ultrarunning event where the start is signalled by a man blowing on a conch shell anytime in a 12 hour window, the course is off trail and you need to collect pages from book to prove you've been to each checkpoint. Every time someone completes it the course is changed to get harder. The current course is somewhere in the region of 120 miles which you need to complete in under 60 hours.

This was incredible. I can't remember the last time I watched a youtube posted on SA longer than 2 mins. Thank you.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Emptyquote avatar combo off the loving charts

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aramoro posted:

Barkley Marathons. Here's a really good documentary on it, with a bunch of time spent interviewing the guy who started it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQmoxlUy33A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/CavernousOrganicAzurevasesponge.webm