Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'd change that up to include the movement building first. The ability to quickly cover distance is key for every race but as one that's primarily sea-faring like Noctilus or Aranessa it's essential, particularly when you have to rush home to defend the latest infamy speedbump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

smug jeebus posted:

On Vortex the Island at the bottom center of the map is a real good third province.

Yep. In case anyone didn’t know, it used to be part of another province on the cape of Lustria, but was recently changed to its own one-city province.

Depending on who owns what, Malus’ starting islands in the southeast corner might be a good place for actual settlements too. Elven colony buildings for better income, relatively isolated, and you may ingratiate yourself to the neighbors across the pond and be free of reprisal depending on how the campaign is going.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Yep. In case anyone didn’t know, it used to be part of another province on the cape of Lustria, but was recently changed to its own one-city province.

Depending on who owns what, Malus’ starting islands in the southeast corner might be a good place for actual settlements too. Elven colony buildings for better income, relatively isolated, and you may ingratiate yourself to the neighbors across the pond and be free of reprisal depending on how the campaign is going.

It does feel more natural for that to be a province by itself.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pale boyz iz so stoopid.

I'm gonna take the gold and smash him later when I run out of Dwarf holds to smash and rob. Grimgor doesn't care about no stupid treaties. I absolutely need the gold though. I'm having a blast playing Greenskins in SFO, I've got so much momentum going I can't stop and I to keep moving and looting, as I'm running a pretty big deficit.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 20, 2020

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is probably a stupid thing, but has there ever been a mod that restores the WH1 functionality of settlements changing to reflect what race owns them? It annoys the hell out of me seeing dwarves own orky settlements or not restoring a dwarfhold to glory when I reconquer it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

My passive agents mod broke halfway through my campaign and it is brutal having heroes just disappear and my armies sometimes be unable to move or my walls get hosed up.

God I hate agents so loving much.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Man the Nakai ME start. What can stand against him?

Norsca and the Empire are not ready.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Eimi posted:

This is probably a stupid thing, but has there ever been a mod that restores the WH1 functionality of settlements changing to reflect what race owns them? It annoys the hell out of me seeing dwarves own orky settlements or not restoring a dwarfhold to glory when I reconquer it.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1950812391

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Man the Nakai ME start. What can stand against him?

Norsca and the Empire are not ready.

Delves, be careful of your Norsca holdings because they'll sweep in if you're too invested southward.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'd like game 3 to go halfway for this- like dwarf/orc settlements should reflect which race owns them like in game 1, but dark elves shouldn't immediately demolish a captured city on Ulthuan to change out the phallic towers to spiky, evil phallic towers. Or maybe they should and that wasn't the best example?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do the dark/high elves just run around with a big pile of different widgets in varying degrees of spikeyness and buckets of purple/white paint do you think?

Is that what elven trinkets are? Piles of wall/tower spikes and paint?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read the OP and didn't see this mentioned: is there a way to play this awesome looking game without spending the $162 CAD that Steam demands for the game and DLC? I really want to play it but there is no bundle available and that kind of moola is a bit high...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't buy the dlc without trying the base game first

then buy the elements of dlc that appeal to you based off your play experience (e.g. getting wrecked by a unit and finding out you can't use it yourself)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I read the OP and didn't see this mentioned: is there a way to play this awesome looking game without spending the $162 CAD that Steam demands for the game and DLC? I really want to play it but there is no bundle available and that kind of moola is a bit high...

Stuff goes on sale but the real trick is buy what you want to play when it comes to dlc. Most of the other stuff will still be in the game, you just won't be able to play it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah seriously, buy base Warhammer I or II depending on your budget/interest and then pick up the rest on sale. Skaven are the only experience in either that NEED the dlc.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
And sales are very common. You can buy the base game here at 60% off, for example.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
All of the DLC is integrated into the game, regardless if you own the dlc or not. The AI uses all the dlc stuff, buying it just unlocks it for the player.

The only real exception is buying the first base game unlocks a new, larger world map to play in the second game. So really the only thing you NEED is Warhammer 1 and Warhammer 2.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

buy Warhammer one, see if you like it. if you do, buy two to get two flavors of elf, dinosaurs, and rats. if you see a faction you really want to play as, check out their dlc. buying all the dlc at once is a huge waste.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Started a vamp coast campaign basically planning to just roam around and not occupy anything, but this plan has run into a snag called 'no replenishment anyfuckingwhere'. I imagine you are not in fact meant to spend the entire campaign occupying every port so its waters are nice and kind when the faction has mechanics that specifically rewards you for not occupying ports, so what's the intended solution? Do pirate coves also create friendly waters? The area immediately south of Sartosa (where I went first) has a surprising lack of ports to test in.

I did fight a stupid tough level 25 Dwarf pirate around turn 20, which was probably the pinnacle of my TW battle experience so far. 18-stack of Thunderers, Longbeards, Ironbreakers, Organ guns etc with two ranks against my 20-stack of mostly basic-rear end ranged units, a couple level 5 heroes and 6 pieces of artillery + level 9 Aranessa. Cost me both heroes and almost all my units to wipe that poo poo out, though I should have saved one of the heroes, just got careless.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Started a vamp coast campaign basically planning to just roam around and not occupy anything, but this plan has run into a snag called 'no replenishment anyfuckingwhere'. I imagine you are not in fact meant to spend the entire campaign occupying every port so its waters are nice and kind when the faction has mechanics that specifically rewards you for not occupying ports, so what's the intended solution? Do pirate coves also create friendly waters? The area immediately south of Sartosa (where I went first) has a surprising lack of ports to test in.

I did fight a stupid tough level 25 Dwarf pirate around turn 20, which was probably the pinnacle of my TW battle experience so far. 18-stack of Thunderers, Longbeards, Ironbreakers, Organ guns etc with two ranks against my 20-stack of mostly basic-rear end ranged units, a couple level 5 heroes and 6 pieces of artillery + level 9 Aranessa. Cost me both heroes and almost all my units to wipe that poo poo out, though I should have saved one of the heroes, just got careless.
You get enough replenishment bonuses that you should go back up to near-full in a turn or so, iirc. So if you're hurting for replenishment, just occupy a town for a bit, heal back up, then abandon it. Who gives a poo poo if it gets conquered? Come back and throw a cove in later. Also, if you're razing/sacking, you might have access to a decent raise dead pool.

e: vvv yeah, but unless you're in friendly waters that's still slow. Worth doing and it'll top you off, but slow.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 21, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Shipbuilder Lords can Encamp at 0% movement.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Thank you! Exactly what I wanted.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'd like game 3 to go halfway for this- like dwarf/orc settlements should reflect which race owns them like in game 1, but dark elves shouldn't immediately demolish a captured city on Ulthuan to change out the phallic towers to spiky, evil phallic towers. Or maybe they should and that wasn't the best example?

And bad example because the druchi would entirely to spite the High Elves if they ever captured anything.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I'm deep in a legendary isabella campaign, probably my best one yet. I went straight for manny and the other vamps (who i guess got added back in somewhere?) and it made stirland talabecland and zhufbar my Best Friends, stirland and talabecland are my military allies and i'm in a defensive alliance with the Dwarves. now i'm in a hellwar with the empire and idk when it'll end

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

albany academy posted:

I'm deep in a legendary isabella campaign, probably my best one yet. I went straight for manny and the other vamps (who i guess got added back in somewhere?) and it made stirland talabecland and zhufbar my Best Friends, stirland and talabecland are my military allies and i'm in a defensive alliance with the Dwarves. now i'm in a hellwar with the empire and idk when it'll end

take altdorf, it'll end pretty quickly

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Does the veteran difficulty setting in the beta give achievements for very hard victories?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It really feels like the right time for a Pestilins playthrough

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Has CA confirmed the Greenskins update is on hold? Obviously I can't fault them for it. Maybe I can finally get around to a Malus campaign with all this spare time.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Making a Nurgle DLC out of spite.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Ammanas posted:

take altdorf, it'll end pretty quickly

Can't get close enough. talabecland and stirland are getting dummied by Karl, norsca, moulder and chaos. Been baiting armies and ambushing them but as soon as I wipe one another shows up with demigryphs and steamtanks lol.

It'll be a slog, but I'll get there.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

I have never once completed this quest, despite dearly loving Volkmar and his crazy flagellants. It is one of the worst offenders for outdated quest design from Total Warhammer 1. All you lose in moving an agent across the world is time, at least that doesn't have you declaring war on a faction you'd otherwise want good relations with.

Alright well the slight consolation is that if Kislev is destroyed, the quest changes to raid a specific region at the edge of the Chaos Wastes. Naturally that ended up being the one region that Vlad colonized after I sent over a force. Said gently caress it and went and raided it anyway, after which point Vlad sent five or six armies into my territory and had them sit raiding for ~20 turns, without any war declaration. Funny yet highly irritating. It was p fun to turn Praag into a strongpoint and curb stomp Chaos as soon as they walked out of the wastes. Even better to turn around two turns after beating Archaon's rear end and hit Vlad's territory(basically the whole eastern half of the empire) from six different directions at once. Quite satisfying after dealing with tons of corruption for most of the game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Shumagorath posted:

Has CA confirmed the Greenskins update is on hold? Obviously I can't fault them for it. Maybe I can finally get around to a Malus campaign with all this spare time.

They said back in February that WH2 DLC news would have to wait until April or May.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Oh this is another outthere question but is there a mod that restores the old Rune of Wrath and Ruin for Runesmiths for campaign? The super slow is great for mp but I preferred the dps spell in campaign and runesmiths are really boring without it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do i siege battle as Ikit? I've been drilling the towers/walls down with the drill dudes and trying to shoot dudes off the walls with the ratling gunners. This doesn't seem to work too well.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I had a strange game where Mannfred was warring with Von Carsteins. By the time I got to see the dark elf lands, Morathi and Malekith weren’t associated diplomatically at all.

It seemed like family meant very little in that game I guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do i siege battle as Ikit? I've been drilling the towers/walls down with the drill dudes and trying to shoot dudes off the walls with the ratling gunners. This doesn't seem to work too well.

Ratling guns don't work very well in sieges because they're inaccurate, short range, and low angle.

What you want is warplock jezzails, they have a great arc, super accurate, great range, great for picking enemies off the walls. Follow that with artillery, warp lighning cannons, catapults etc, just shell the poo poo out of the enemy. Once you've got holes in the walls, send in the doom flayers etc, don't bother with assaulting the walls at all cos you don't have great assault troops, but you do have enough firepower to render the fortifications useless.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

3 options:

1. Hold the siege until they sally or get reinforced them murder them on the field, or until attrition kicks in which is 50% per turn.

2. Add some DLC mortars to shell dudes over the walls and some stormvermin to follow up. Will thin out your gun line but both units have enough value to be worthwhile. Mortar teams in particular are excellent for sieges and killing archers in field battles.

3. Autoresolve, eat the losses, and reinforce instantly next turn with an assassin in the army. If you can move armies in pairs you will completely decimate drat near everyone in auto resolve with ranged heavy armies, which keeps losses way down.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 23, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cheesy, haha, trick for Skaven sieges: while the AI artillery will eventually re-crew their guns in field battles if they are forced into melee or retreat and rally, in sieges AI artillery crews will leave their guns and take up station on the walls like idiots permanently if they end up in melee, like say, if a bunch of rats suddenly popped up from underground to stab them in the back.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 23, 2020

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

remember that ikit's personal gimmicks aside you are still playing the faction with the best artillery in the game

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

remember that ikit's personal gimmicks aside you are still playing the faction with the best artillery in the game

Also Ikit's warp lightning can solo most garrisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ikit or not, but I remember back when I played Queek in the Vortex campaign when that first came out that I thought the Skaven were actually really good in siege assaults. You ust have to approach them somewhat differently than other factions. As said you don't really have troops that are very good for assaulting the walls, but you have amazingly devastating artillery. So I basically just spent some time at the beginning of a siege tower neutralizing the tower defenses of a chosen wall section using my artillery, then making a couple of breaches, and then going into the breach with Stormvermin and Rat Ogres, backed up by a warplock engineer (for warp lighning and buffs) globadiers and flamethrowers. With the artillery still firing and possibly with chaff assaulting the walls to tie up missile troops (I tried to always roll an army of mostly chaff in addition to my main armies to make the best use of numbers). Units with stalk to sneak over an undefended section while you do this (to either get into a flanking position, capture the victory point or take out artillery) is also an option.

Most of that should still work, and now you've got so many more tools to play with. Skaven should still be excellent at siege assaults, it's just that you can't really do the towers and ladders thing, you need artillery. And you should have artillery, if not, you're doing Skaven wrong.