Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So Math posted:

Every deserted island I visit has the same fruit as mine. Is that supposed to happen?

(I refuse to pay for peer-to-peer multiplayer. :colbert:)

Mine sometimes have a lot of oranges which is the fruit my mom sent me in the mail at the start. My orchard is currently a ton of peaches, about 20 orange trees and 10 each of the rest (except for coconut which I planted all over my beaches). Since I can just buy peaches at any time I'll probably sell most of those to make room for more apples/cherries/pears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's a beautiful night to rip and tear

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Romes128 posted:

No ive gotten all my fruits from deserted islands. Except cherries I yoinked from another goon.

I have gotten peach islands more than the others tho, which is my native fruit.

I have peaches as native and have visited maybe a dozen islands so far, and they've all also been peaches.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/SwitchEnos/status/1241981232512040962?s=20

Pretty proud of my hat and Nyan Cat shirt I made.

Blah how does one inline a tweet?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Man I miss being able to sell stuff at full price after 9pm.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Question: I accidentally built 2 ladders cause I thought they were things that you placed and not a tool. I can't sell the 2nd ladder. Is it later used on a recipe or should I drop it on a mistery island I visit?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
You can't sell it because you have it equipped.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Argue posted:

You can't sell it because you have it equipped.

I have 2 in my inventory, so I should be able to sell at least one...unless it's equipped in a differnt way than other tools?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Is 147 bells a decent price to offload my turnips?

Also will my gf ever get the recipes I got for the home bulding?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sistergodiva posted:

Unfortunately not all at once like you did. I think the package of furniture that it generated for you is sorta random... i.e., the three houses spawned with a specific list of random furniture requirements, and Nook gave the Island Representative blueprints to match that furniture. Since the package was randomly put together, it doesn't really have a story-based thing that it can offer the second player as well.

It doesn't permanently lock the non-primary players out of those recipes though, it's just that they'll have to get them the old-fashioned way... ordering them from Nook, finding them in floating gift boxes / messages in a bottle, etc.

The ladder recipe is immediately available in Nook's Cranny though, at least.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Do you get a recipe card for bridges ?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Sistergodiva posted:

we don't know exactly what the turnip price ranges will be yet, but I'd say selling at a +50% value is pretty good? AFAIK the prices tended to be from 50 bells to 200 most of the time in New Leaf, with the occasional ridiculous outlier of ~800.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

fit em all up in there posted:

Do you get a recipe card for bridges ?

The recipe you got when asked to build the 3 houses was a one-time use. The actual recipes for it come when the Resident Services building is opened around day 9.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Any southern hemisphere goons open to letting me come steal some fishies?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sistergodiva posted:

Decently, yeah. We're still in an early economy, nobody knows for sure exactly how high prices will get for Turnips this week without crazy time travelers.

A friend of mine made it to Monarch Butterfly Island and sold 72k worth of butterflies from a single trip. Tarantula Town has a similar return but you're banking on RNG there. If you know someone currently in the Southern Hemisphere, farming sharks is probably the quickest way to riches. If you're somewhere it's raining, farm Coelacanth

A lot of the essential recipes show up in the Nook shops at some point, and I've gotten a couple duplicates from my villagers to give to other people. For the borderline basic stuff I think I've seen it all in the show so far.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I'm starting to think that tool breakage might be a dice roll each time you use one rather than cumulative wear. My first fishing rod lasted two days of lots of fishing, but now I've broken four in one session.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

gently caress, I missed the weekly turnip supply because my shop wasn't ready on Sunday.

What a cruel fate.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Policenaut posted:

I think it's kind of dumb that the crafting station apparently doesn't link into your storage. I get that it wouldn't when I'm at Nook's or DIY-ing in the field but when I'm in my home it should just automatically detect that I have 200 of this wood type instead of making me go withdraw the amount I need of it from the invisible storage in the house I'm currently in.

it wouldn't be animal crossing without some awkward inventory management :negative:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I wish there was a cheat code that turned the cans that anyone is drinking into beer and all the people on the island return to the rude crude gamecube standards

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

stev posted:

gently caress, I missed the weekly turnip supply because my shop wasn't ready on Sunday.

What a cruel fate.
The shop had nothing to do with Turnip sells on Sunday. Daisy Mae wanders around regardless of what's open

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

I wish there was a cheat code that turned the cans that anyone is drinking into beer and all the people on the island return to the rude crude gamecube standards
I feel like the Gamecube version had the most dialogue/interaction options in the entire series. They'd ask you for all sorts of stuff constantly, but now you can talk to them once or twice a day and unless they approach you, there's no reason to pay attention to them at all.

I have noticed that occasionally they do things related to their personalities. I saw a jock actually pumping iron on the beach, and another villager using a magnifying glass to inspect flowers but this doesn't feel like the "Ultimate" animal crossing or anything, just a different game with different mechanics.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bulgakov posted:

I wish there was a cheat code that turned the cans that anyone is drinking into beer

sounds like you haven't had the good vacation juice

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Bulgakov posted:

I'm continually upset that the villagers were only really allowed to be bastards in the first game

in other news, this was too great not to share:

someone from tumblr posted:

You’re a dodo bird, working as an airline pilot. Your job is to take one human from one populated island to deserted ones when they turn in a ticket for that exact purpose. At first, this was a normal, easy job, and the human would come back with a full backpack of fruit, wood, and flowers, all while looking pleased. It wasn’t long until the human got used to this service, and they start asking you to take them to various deserted islands in the dead of night. You oblige, for it is your lot in life, and you’re paid very well. These night time visits to the islands seemed to be different. You could hear the ominous sounds of trees crashing to the ground and of metal hitting stone, and then silence for hours on end. Occasionally, your passenger would need first aid attention, and you’d feel relief and then shock as they would come to, pull out their net, and wander back onto the island. Every so often they would trudge up to the docks and you feel a sense of hope, wondering if they were ready to go home yet. They aren’t. They need a lovely net, and pay you in Nook Miles. Then they run back out onto the island, completely devoid of trees, boulders, and any signs of life.

One day, on the flight back to the main island, you ask them, “So what is it do you do out here on those little islands anyhow?”

They smile a weary smile, their face bruised and swollen from wasp stings, before reaching for their backpack, which has the Nook Inc. logo lovingly sewn into it. Curious, you take a peek, and recoil in horror as countless tarantulas threaten to spill out into your seaplane. The human closes the bag tightly, taking care not to injure any of the tarantulas inside.

You decide not to ask any more questions about what this human does in their spare time.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

RealFoxy posted:

The shop had nothing to do with Turnip sells on Sunday. Daisy Mae wanders around regardless of what's open

Daisy won't show up if you haven't built a Nook's Cranny yet, I guess so that players won't buy a bunch of turnips and then have no way to sell them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm continually upset that the villagers were only really allowed to be bastards in the first game
The gameplay experience of "find out your neighbors and close individuals are actually barely-sentient emotional abuse generators with occasional brief clumsy glimpses or something else" was adequately fulfilled by social media

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Daisy won't show up if you haven't built a Nook's Cranny yet, I guess so that players won't buy a bunch of turnips and then have no way to sell them.
My mistake, you're right. It's still weird that she wouldn't show up without Nook's Cranny though, it only takes a day or two to upgrade it

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I was frustrated that the Custom Designs had the same front and back when you wore them as a shirt. Discovering the Pro Designs didn't have that problem was a nice surprise.

https://i.gyazo.com/55281c495109c2315e069b5aad9692be.mp4

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Nessus posted:

The gameplay experience of "find out your neighbors and close individuals are actually barely-sentient emotional abuse generators with occasional brief clumsy glimpses or something else" was adequately fulfilled by social media
Befriending grumpy villagers in the original game or having Sable warm up to you are two sorely missed features in the new game for me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RealFoxy posted:

That's odd. I played a fair bit yesterday morning and didn't see her anywhere. Ah well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oh neat I'll probably see her tomorrow since my clock is set about 12 hours back due to my vampiric work habits.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

stev posted:

That's odd. I played a fair bit yesterday morning and didn't see her anywhere. Ah well.
Yeah I was wrong about that, needs Nook's Cranny open.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just traveled backwards in time and the game is treating it exactly as if I went forwards, which honestly feels pretty spooky

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Your Computer posted:

just traveled backwards in time and the game is treating it exactly as if I went forwards, which honestly feels pretty spooky
I'm not brave enough to go backwards in time because flowers would usually die and trees would rot or stop growing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
granted I haven't gone far backwards (went a couple of days forwards, now a couple of days back to the present) but trees and flowers have grown, villagers have moved in, store inventory is refreshed and in all respects it just seems like a completely normal new day :iiam:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Like, did it go 364 days forward, or did it just act like its a "new day" and that's it?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Your Computer posted:

granted I haven't gone far backwards (went a couple of days forwards, now a couple of days back to the present) but trees and flowers have grown, villagers have moved in, store inventory is refreshed and in all respects it just seems like a completely normal new day :iiam:
This game seems a lot less punishing in general. Rare fish stay on the line longer, Wasps and Tarantulas are easier to run away from, bugs seem to stick around a whole lot longer, flowers and trees don't seem to decay or fail to grow, and I have run over a thousand flowers and none of them have dissolved yet.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

I'm still not over how goofy it kinda feels for an animal crossing game to be in 1080p

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

RealFoxy posted:

... and I have run over a thousand flowers and none of them have dissolved yet.

:raise:

wtf

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dammit. I just realized that, now that Nook's Cranny is open, I can't catch stuff during the night and sell them without a steep 20% penalty. This is gonna really limit how much I'm willing to play every night :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JosefStalinator posted:

Like, did it go 364 days forward, or did it just act like its a "new day" and that's it?

seems* to just treat it as a new day, which is surprising. It might delay some things from happening until they were "supposed" to happen a couple of days in the future but I don't really have anything to test that with since I don't have any buildings under construction or anything. That said, one of my new villagers were in the process of unpacking their stuff and when I went back all of their stuff was unpacked just as if it had gone another day forward.

*I expected and still expect some side effects, like town upgrades might be stalled until the date "catches up" but we'll see