Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, this is probably my brain frantically clutching at straws, but I don't believe McDonalds and Nandos would be closing without being forced to if they didn't believe that the closure would be short term - a month at most - and they're hoping a combination of government money and goodwill will let them cover the losses over the medium-to-long term.

Same as Starbucks. They're closing partners, franchises can do what they like. They're just putting out the notice to make themselves look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, this is probably my brain frantically clutching at straws, but I don't believe McDonalds and Nandos would be closing without being forced to if they didn't believe that the closure would be short term - a month at most - and they're hoping a combination of government money and goodwill will let them cover the losses over the medium-to-long term.

Alternatively they think that the closing is inevitable, so it's better to be ahead of the curve and look good in the long term.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I hope they work out some method for places like Nando’s to reopen soon. Delivery restaurants are genuinely going to be very important during the lockdown as it goes on.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

trusting food unseen people have prepared is how youse are gonna get the roni

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Unless you are growing the food yourself, it will always have been handled by persons unknown.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

AceClown posted:

Yeah this one is kinda on you too Spangly

for sure, I'm just angry and venting. The thing that's still pissing me off is that this is the first 14 days we'll be in full isolation, and there will then be more, and we'll never know when we're clear unless we get hospitalised first. Paras wouldn't take the nephew's gf to the hospital so no test, just said assume you have it and isolate.

Marmaduke! posted:

Let me tell you about a new concept called "social distancing"

:shrug: her sister just lost a son this week and there obviously isn't going to be a funeral. The house had 4 guests, including us. I argued for ten minutes and realised that "We're not going" wasn't an option, so "I'm not going" was pointless and mean. Would you have acted differently?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Either I’ve got the rona or I just had the worst case of food poisoning in years and years. Dear god last night was grim. Already been isolating due to flying to and from Budapest and Florida recently so that was the cherry on top.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Skull Servant posted:

Don't fail me now, Gibbo

It's too late, Phillip has already reincarnated as the virus. And the Queen is 95% formaldehyde and 5% kindling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Boy do I have some websites for you!
Shot:
https://twitter.com/RonPaul/status/1239551403074433025

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1241780756617273345

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Spangly A posted:

:shrug: her sister just lost a son this week and there obviously isn't going to be a funeral. The house had 4 guests, including us. I argued for ten minutes and realised that "We're not going" wasn't an option, so "I'm not going" was pointless and mean. Would you have acted differently?
I spent the weekend explaining to multiple family members (both mine and my wife's) why they shouldn't go and see various elderly relatives yesterday and had fallings out with several of them.

They didn't go in the end though so I'll take the fallout on the chin as the end result was worth it.

No way would I have gone to any kind of social thing yesterday, with any number of people, at risk or otherwise, regardless of how much aggro it would have caused. Lives are literally at risk here.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My brother-in-law rang my wife and ripped her head off over not going to visit their mum yesterday. With them and their two kids who both have health problems, and my wife's dad who has everything under the sun wrong with him already.

Said brother-in-law has been home from a ski resort in Europe for ~8 days now, and told storied tales of having to lie to police about where they were going to get to the airport and get home after they started to shut everything down.

Part of me hopes they loving get it now just so I can return the favour with my own dickhead phonecall.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
You know poo poo is serious when McDonald's is closing

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Today's Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm) is the Hedge Warbler, which is a much nicer name than the more common English name of Dunnock:

They sound lovely :3:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Im at work in a building staffed with hundreds of people today :thumbsup:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Spangly A posted:

Everyone who's decided not to go the distance has their own excuse not to, yours is one of the better ones but yeah I would have. Just those two people are enough and if you know people aren't doing social distancing (because they want to spend time with you), then you know they could be infected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StarkingBarfish posted:

Barfish Breakfast Birb (tm)
McDonald's is closed for a day and people are already resorting to this.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Skull Servant posted:

Don't fail me now, Gibbo

She needs to hang in, want another medal even if it's a chocolate coin of a jubilee and then a coronation.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Ash Crimson posted:

You know poo poo is serious when McDonald's is closing

:eng101: Nando’s too! No more Cheeky Nando’s m8

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
We should have a sweepstakes on how long the de facto shutdown lasts, based on say when places reopen and people stop being asked to work from home

I'm guessing 3 months

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

She needs to hang in, want another medal even if it's a chocolate coin of a jubilee and then a coronation.

Oh she'll get a coronation alright

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the app called so I can see if I have it?
Its the samsung health app, you need one with a sensor on the back, (9 plus for mine, dont know what models have it), and you then just measure stress which will do heartrate plus blood saturation levels.

Weasling Weasel fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 23, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Communist Thoughts posted:

trusting food unseen people have prepared is how youse are gonna get the roni

Yeah I kind of think that most restaurants are clean enough to not have to worry about that too much. You'd have more chance of catching it by going to the supermarket and buying food.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Welp, all train franchises have been nationalised. Corbyn-19 claims another victim.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1241997781969047552?s=19

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 23, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

Welp, all train franchises have been nationalised. Corbyn-19 claims another victim.

I can't see that on the news anywhere (though train guard friend did say he thought it would happen this week). Have you got a link?

Ed: Just saw a link to The Sun. Is it anywhere else?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't see that on the news anywhere (though train guard friend did say he thought it would happen this week). Have you got a link?

The Guardian just put it on their live feed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EvilHawk posted:

The Guardian just put it on their live feed.

Thanks. Also just found it on DfT website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-ensures-ticket-refunds-and-protects-services-for-passengers-with-rail-emergency-measures

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

We should have a sweepstakes on how long the de facto shutdown lasts, based on say when places reopen and people stop being asked to work from home

I'm guessing 3 months

I think we'll be going all the way through to August/September, just because of economic and health impact. All this talk about being 2 weeks away from Italy - I think we'll be one of the worst affected countries in Europe due to the lack of action taken. A little mini-wave after the initial one.

I signed up to UC as a self-employed person and quoted them government guidelines around it being payable from Day 1 (if you have coronavirus symptoms, which I have) "those affected by coronavirus will be able to apply for Universal Credit and can receive up to a month’s advance up front without physically attending a jobcentre"

They got back to me "the above information is correct however no payments can be made until the full assessment period has passed and your payment is actually due and all information on your account needs to be verified to establish if you do indeed meet the entitlement to benefit. "

lol.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1242010982551031809?s=20

I rarely listen to Novara these days (James B is the only one I can tolerate really), but I'm so glad this show is back. Also, apparently he lives in a boat in central London?? What a guy

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Lol at the Tories being forced to enact the Labour manifesto.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/piercepenniless/status/1242010982551031809?s=20

I rarely listen to Novara these days (James B is the only one I can tolerate really), but I'm so glad this show is back. Also, apparently he lives in a boat in central London?? What a guy

how can anyone dislike ash

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

how can anyone dislike ash

OK fair play, Ash is good too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Saros posted:

Lol at the Tories being forced to enact the Labour manifesto.

They will totally attempt to memory-hole this though. Or at least attempt to contextualise it as only working during a crisis and not during "normal" times.

Still :lol: though that it's pretty much forcing their hand.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Extremely cool for the government to try and shift blame onto people for not following their extremely unclear rules and the press are successfully going to sell it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ffs

https://twitter.com/ImIncorrigible/status/1242015801261121536?s=19

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I just want to say thanks to any Preston people in here. My parents who are in their 80's live in the outskirts of the city and they have had a few neighbours put messages offering to help them through their door.
I'm in Australia and my sister is in the south west UK so neither of us can be there for them, so Thank you Preston folks for looking out for people. Much appreciated.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

:roflolmao:

loving ghoul

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1242008996812292098

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
jesus loving christ

https://twitter.com/sgfmann/status/1241987425469190145

https://twitter.com/Charlie83494836/status/1241989314323656708

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

justcola posted:

They got back to me "the above information is correct however no payments can be made until the full assessment period has passed and your payment is actually due and all information on your account needs to be verified to establish if you do indeed meet the entitlement to benefit. "

lol.

So wtf does that mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So wtf does that mean?

'Yes, but actually no, gently caress off'.