Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Thanks to the goons who suggested discord as a good way to play Jackbox with friends, we had a great time even on a range of terrible internet connections.

Are there any other games that support that kind of multiplayer? We're playing across several households (most of which have two people playing) and the only common devices are access to at least one PC or laptop in each household, and one mobile device per person. We all like playing board games together although most of the group aren't especially into video games.

Edit: there's 12 of us although we're happy to rotate in and out for something round based like Jackbox

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Not official I believe, but Codenames is a great party game that works well with live communication, and there's a (bootleg) online version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlI43ZE9-c

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh poo poo we love Codenames. If I can get an online version working for our group that'd be incredible. I'll look into it, thanks!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

Just downloading it directly. I tried installing Experience but that also stops responding.

Did this, I think it must have successfully uninstalled my graphics drivers since my resolution is all hosed up now. However, no dice. The installer still stops responding after the license agreement.
Does it also happen if you use the "standard" driver instead of the DCH driver?

You have to use the advanced search for the standard driver now, the driver website only lists new drivers in DCH form due to Microsoft requirements:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Qmass posted:

is the difference between super SG when the eyes flash and jump over them when they charge you actually that big

You mean when they spin on a dime and insta-block with the shield?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
How effective is remote-detonating a rocket behind them?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DooM Eternal is a real mixed bag. The new tools are fun, but on the other hand you have complete bullshit like The Marauders. The name of the game is Rip and Tear, not have an enemy you have to fight on their terms like a goddamn action-RPG. They're literally the antithesis of everything that makes DOOM good with an instant shield that will no-sell anything you throw at them so you HAVE to play by their rules. It's not even hard to fix, just change the shield to a regular old Plasma one that can be (eventually) cooked off them.
Now imagine fighting one during one of them hidden timed fights!

Because they put one of those in one! :shepicide:

Qmass posted:

is the difference between super SG when the eyes flash and jump over them when they charge you actually that big
you can freeze pinkies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zereth posted:

Now imagine fighting one during one of them hidden timed fights!

Because they put one of those in one! :shepicide:

you can freeze pinkies

Oh I already ran in to that fucker, and I'm going back later to try again when I'm less likely to swear at it. There's another Secret Encounter in the same level with one of those energy-shielded minibosses as well, and I'm MUCH more interested in taking one of those suckers down in 30 seconds because it actually feels doable. They're great tanky bastards to mix up encounters with.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fun fact about Doom Hunters: It's way easier to just unload directly into their sled and not even bother taking out their shields.

I'm up to the same level, but I'm getting tired and my reflexes are slowing and on Nightmare you need to be 100% mentally present.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I have a i7-3770k with 8gb dd3 ram and a 1060. How different/improved would my gaming experience be with a new cpu (and new ram)?

I've got a 3770k as well, but with 16GB ram. I'm not planning to upgrade till the next gen of Ryzen desktop chips roll around later this year - Zen 3 / Ryzen 4xxx chips that are just coming out for laptops.

Looks like both of the next gen consoles will be using tweaked Zen 2 / Ryzen 3xxx chips with 8 cores/16 hyperthreads, so getting a 12- or 16-core Zen 3 cpu should hopefully last just as well as this 3770k has for the last console gen of games.

The 3770k is still doing just fine with 16GB of ram. Not many games are using the 4c cores that efficiently still. That will change once the next gen of consoles are 8c/16ht.

You should see if you can get another 8GB of ram though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm over a decade late to the party, but I finally started playing Crysis.

Entirely apart from some poor controls, I'm not sure I "get" it. Cloak can be used to reposition in fights (or just sneak in), armour is self-explanatory, speed I've not found a use for other than just walking faster, but the strength puzzles me. Am I supposed to be chucking physics objects at people, maybe after sneaking behind them? Its so clumsy and ineffective compared to just shooting them.

I finally got a "Yes, *this* will be the moment I do a cool thing" and jumped on the back of a tank with cloak/strength, and it turns out that there's no way to punch your way into the tank (or try to rip the tank in half, Ghost In The Shell style). So no cigar; turns out I'm just supposed to be boring and shoot it with the conveniently placed rocket launcher.

Am I missing something here? I think it just might be an older game from an era of bad shooters and I'm expecting too much from it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Strength is recoil control in combat but realistically the recoil is not so much that that function is ever really required. Ultimately no, you're not really missing anything, Crysis is a tech demo wrapped up in a neat-ish sandbox and a fairly mediocre shooter.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

explosivo posted:

The Surge 2 is on gamepass now and goddamn I am really enjoying this game! I played a little bit of the first one and thought the idea was cool but it wasn't much fun to play. The sequel feels better in almost every way and the mechanic of "I want that weapon give me your arm" is rad as hell.

Yeah, being on Gamepass I finally decided to give it a go and it is very good. The fighting system being tied to the loot system is something I like a lot.

One minor problem (that can turn into a huge annoyance in hectic situations) is the right stick being used for camera AND directional blocking AND selecting body parts. To be fair, most of the times it's fine but especially with some bosses you're basically chaotically scrambling to make the system do what you want and usually failing.

Also there is no fast travel which can make traversing from one end of the map to the other a bit of a chore, luckily the maps are not overly expansive (usually they're very vertical and full of shortcuts instead of being stretched over large distances).

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

A good poster posted:

How effective is remote-detonating a rocket behind them?

That does work from what the doom thread says. I haven't gotten the hang of it myself.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So uhh a new Half Life game comes out in a couple hours. Strange times...

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst

explosivo posted:

The Surge 2 is on gamepass now and goddamn I am really enjoying this game! I played a little bit of the first one and thought the idea was cool but it wasn't much fun to play. The sequel feels better in almost every way and the mechanic of "I want that weapon give me your arm" is rad as hell.

Do I need to play Surge 1 first for the story or something? I really hate skipping games in a series.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'd make some joke about ETA to "It's not a real Half-Life game because VR!" claims but I'm sure that has been going on for months.

srulz posted:

Do I need to play Surge 1 first for the story or something? I really hate skipping games in a series.

Not remotely.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

I'd make some joke about ETA to "It's not a real Half-Life game because VR!" claims but I'm sure that has been going on for months.

it's not a real Half-Life game because your character talks

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If you don't have to stand around until she finishes talking, it's not a HL game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So what I'm getting here is if it's bad it's a Half-Life game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's. Not. A. Real. Half-Life. Game. Unless. The. PA System. Talks. Like. This.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the. enemy. team. has. captured. the. rear end.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

the. enemy. team. has. captured. the. rear end.

hell yeah enemy team. you loving get it

[edit: what I'm saying is get that rear end]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

v1ld posted:

You should see if you can get another 8GB of ram though.

Seconding this. Just upgraded to 16GB before Xmas and it was money well spent. You'd be even better off replacing all your ram and going with DDR4 though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Serephina posted:

Entirely apart from some poor controls, I'm not sure I "get" it. Cloak can be used to reposition in fights (or just sneak in), armour is self-explanatory, speed I've not found a use for other than just walking faster, but the strength puzzles me. Am I supposed to be chucking physics objects at people, maybe after sneaking behind them? Its so clumsy and ineffective compared to just shooting them.

I finally got a "Yes, *this* will be the moment I do a cool thing" and jumped on the back of a tank with cloak/strength, and it turns out that there's no way to punch your way into the tank (or try to rip the tank in half, Ghost In The Shell style). So no cigar; turns out I'm just supposed to be boring and shoot it with the conveniently placed rocket launcher.

Am I missing something here? I think it just might be an older game from an era of bad shooters and I'm expecting too much from it.

For what it's worth I enjoyed Crysis 2 way more than the original. I *think*, it's been a while, there's smoother power transitions as well for doing cool stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crysis 2 is neat/interesting because it's basically a more tightly tuned series of Far Cry outposts, as they've appeared in the recent ones. Basically you enter a room (though the room is frequently the corner of a building or a city block or whatever), you murder puzzle some guys, you move to the next murder puzzle. It's not perfect and boy howdy is the story impressively stupid but it's fun.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh yeah, the story is nonsense, but there's some great power fantasy supersoldier fun stuff you can do. Or you can ghost around in your stealth field popping out for a second to headshot some dude like you're a power armour ninja. I think I've played through the whole thing about 3 times over the years.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Serephina posted:

Yeah you basically got it. The game was way too stringent with the powers, but was super unique at the time for being graphically gorgeous.

2 is a much, much better game. Basically lets you go hog wild with the combat arenas.

3 uh. 3 is even better honestly, with the core issue being you can finish the whole game 100% with everything done in 2-3 hours.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Serephina posted:

You are absolutely missing something, cause Crysis is one of the best shooters of all time. It's got wide open massive levels (in the first two acts) that you can approach in ton of different ways. Your cloak lets you be the predator and gently caress with Koreans like a slasher movie villain. Speed lets you zip around like the Flash. Armor lets you not die to 2 hits (you are always squishy, it's inteded) and Strength lets you super-jump, mega-punch (including the ability to punch down buildings!), super-throw (the least useful of the strength powers) and makes all your guns perfectly accurate with 0 recoil at the cost of energy-per-shot.

Crysis Warhead is an even more refined version of the game, it even fixes the mediocre last act problem.

Don't bother with Crysis 2 or 3 unless you want a generic bland mid 2000-whatever console FPS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crysis 2 was pretty fun if you played it as the shotgun predator

Orv
May 4, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

You are absolutely missing something, cause Crysis is one of the best shooters of all time. It's got wide open massive levels (in the first two acts) that you can approach in ton of different ways. Your cloak lets you be the predator and gently caress with Koreans like a slasher movie villain. Speed lets you zip around like the Flash. Armor lets you not die to 2 hits (you are always squishy, it's inteded) and Strength lets you super-jump, mega-punch (including the ability to punch down buildings!), super-throw (the least useful of the strength powers) and makes all your guns perfectly accurate with 0 recoil at the cost of energy-per-shot.

Crysis Warhead is an even more refined version of the game, it even fixes the mediocre last act problem.

Don't bother with Crysis 2 or 3 unless you want a generic bland mid 2000-whatever console FPS.

I genuinely cannot condone this take.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Serephina posted:

Crysis 1 (and the better expansion pack, Warhead) is at its best when you're being creative with powers. The suit is incredibly overpowered, so go nuts. Super speed up to someone, switch to strength, grab them by the neck, super jump and chokeslam, speed dash away, cloak. That sort of thing.

If you want to give it a fair shot, I'd say, get to level 4 at least and see if you like it. It's the most sandboxy of the early levels, with an objective on the other end of the map, and lots of little encounters scattered throughout

If you're not feeling it, it's okay. There's lots of games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I think Crysis was great, and wish they'd developed the original concept more, but Crysis 2 and 3 were great shooters. The original just had a certain unique Predator energy that wouldn't be approached until Far Cry 3, but even those games were a fair few notches down.

Crysis is one of the few games that makes you feel like a believable super soldier taking out tanks and helicopters, retaining the vulnerability of an individual on the ground while offering a collection of powers that are individually eh but when combined can have great effect. 2 and 3 lost that feeling. They're not bland, or generic, but the reduced scope made it feel less systemic and more hand crafted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m pretty sure you have to cheat to do all that fun stuff without constantly running out of energy. Kind of like how the fun kicking in Dark Messiah is on a brutal cool down.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there was a weird loophole in crysis 1 with the cloak where firing your gun while cloaked would zero out your battery instantly, but manually deactivating the cloak for a split second and firing a shot wouldn't, so you could recloak immediately. you'd actually gain battery back faster than it drained and the AI wouldn't be able to react in time as long as you were quick enough on the draw.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Strength reduces recoil in a way that dramatically increases your actual DPS on target and makes mid-long-range fights against multiple enemies tilt dramatically in your favor, in addition to giving you a mobility advantage. Speed is incredibly powerful and is your main defensive tool, speed out > cloak in a hiding spot > consider options is a much better use of energy then just sitting there tanking hits on armor. Speed also makes all your weapon handling faster, switching, ADS, reloading, so it's very good for close range fights. Never shoot your way out of cloak, it eats all your energy.

If you get yourself used to switching your suit powers aggressively, the game is a lot of fun, and it gets absolutely wild as it goes on. Warhead is basically more of the same but meant to make you feel less like a ninja and more like an unstoppable badass.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

didn't strength also let you pick up guys and throw them to the moon. that's what i remember about it, not so much the recoil reduction.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yes. And you can throw things at people and crush them to death which is half of the proper way to play crysis.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Pretty sure there's an option in Crysis' menu that lets you switch between powers more easily (e.g. double tap space for super strength jump, double tap shift for speed) which is a game changer, so make sure that's turned on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Home over the weekend so I only had my trusty old laptop complete with its powerhouse GT630. So I fired up Evoland finally to give it a try. Played a few hours, enjoyed it aside from being reminded what an absolute piece of loving trash final fantasy/random encounters/turn based combat is.

Get back to the city, go to play...no synced saves D: :negative: