Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It means you're not getting an advance payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Dentists are being shut by the government.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So wtf does that mean?

Wish I knew! I have 2 telephone appointments in a week, but I'm unsure what I'd get or how eligible I'd be.

I'm really struggling financially, I can't even move in with my mum as she has COPD and I don't want to risk giving it to her so I'm looking at either squatting, becoming homeless or potentially killing my mum because my landlord wants a few hundred quid I don't have. I imagine other people are in a similar situation, I'm just hoping things will change soon as this is making my brain a bit noisy.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Morning all. Guess which loving castle is still open for no reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Not... really sure how that's going to help?

communism bitch posted:

Give it a month and you'll be glad of your own castle when all the other people working there are dead :v:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pesky Splinter posted:

They will totally attempt to memory-hole this though. Or at least attempt to contextualise it as only working during a crisis and not during "normal" times.

Still :lol: though that it's pretty much forcing their hand.

And as much as I'd love Nationalisation of the railways (it's ridiculous they're not), the fact that they'll probably go straight back to private straight after this shows the worst side of privatisation - the companies get all the profits, the taxpayers pick up the losses.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

communism bitch posted:

Is it the loving castle with the hot duchess?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Grey Hunter posted:

poo poo, really? My partner's booked in to have a wisdom tooth extracted, and the molar that it's smashing into.

Going to be on painkillers every day for the duration of the lockdonn if she can't get them out. Good job it's so easy to buy medicine right now!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

communism bitch posted:

Newcastle

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

communism bitch posted:

Windsor?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Is it the loving castle with the hot duchess?

Ah now i know why the bbc virus faq includes the question "can you catch it from pegging"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Dentist chat:

My (private - no NHS dentist round here) dentist emailed round last week to say Welsh govt have told them to close for anything other than emergencies. I think it was the discovery of aerosol transmission which is particularly a problem with drilling and so on that prompted it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

communism bitch posted:

gently caress castle?

I thought they closed that place down

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're in the castle I think you're allowed to grab a halberd and poke people with it to ensure they maintain appropriate distancing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

Seriously? Did they give a reason?

But on the plus side;

OwlFancier posted:

Give it a month and you'll be glad of your own castle when all the other people working there are dead :v:

---

Red Oktober posted:

And as much as I'd love Nationalisation of the railways (it's ridiculous they're not), the fact that they'll probably go straight back to private straight after this shows the worst side of privatisation - the companies get all the profits, the taxpayers pick up the losses.

Oh yeah, the second they can frame coronavirus as being "over", it'll be straight back to the business of arsefucking as usual.

[e]: Oh, and anyone heard from Seaside Loafer? If you're reading this mate, hope you're okay.
[e2]: And Poison Jam (I think? Sorry might have confused the username/mixed up with another user).

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 23, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
No official reason being given but the rumour mill suggests that insurance won't cover a closure without explicit instructions to close from the government. I'm already locked in my tower like quasimodo anyway, but I feel for the poor bastard cleaners, gardeners, and maintenance workers who are all herded together like pigs.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

No official reason being given but the rumour mill suggests that insurance won't cover a closure without explicit instructions to close from the government. I'm already locked in my tower like quasimodo anyway, but I feel for the poor bastard cleaners, gardeners, and maintenance workers who are all herded together like pigs.

For gently caress's sake.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

communism bitch posted:

This is certainly true for a lot of insurance contracts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Shopping trip report: Went into Waitrose (it's right by my flat OK) at 9 on the dot after the elderly hour and things seemed a lot more normal. Last time I went there was a sense of barely-restrained middle class panic but it felt a lot more sedate today. They're still completely out of loo roll and pasta but packed with everything else, there's even soap and paracetamol and antibacterial wipes which were all looted last weekend. Hopefully the panic buying has crested at least.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

communism bitch posted:

Nationalise the insurance industry.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

TACD posted:

Shopping trip report: Went into Waitrose (it's right by my flat OK) at 9 on the dot after the elderly hour and things seemed a lot more normal. Last time I went there was a sense of barely-restrained middle class panic but it felt a lot more sedate today. They're still completely out of loo roll and pasta but packed with everything else, there's even soap and paracetamol and antibacterial wipes which were all looted last weekend. Hopefully the panic buying has crested at least.

People will run out of places to store toilet roll soon and it will all feel much more normal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combine the relaxation of the laws on extending your house with your bog roll buying and working from home and build yourself an extension out of bogroll.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you build an extension out of toilet rolls just to store toilet rolls, is that different from just a pile of toilet rolls outside?

At which point does it cease becoming a pile of toilet rolls and start becoming a structure that contains other separate toilet rolls?

The shitter of Theseus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

If you build an extension out of toilet rolls just to store toilet rolls, is that different from just a pile of toilet rolls outside?

At which point does it cease becoming a pile of toilet rolls and start becoming a structure that contains other separate toilet rolls?

The shitter of Theseus.

The meta-bogroll.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can't actually remember the last time we bought toilet roll it must have been months ago but because we shop at Costco and the missus has slight hoarding tendencies we have nearly 200 rolls in the house

Completely normal and not pandemic related in any way

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Re. insurance...
Most business insurance won't cover it anyway. If you have cover for illness based closures/epidemics (which is usually an optional extra you have to choose), they usually list the conditions it covers (measles, etc.). None of them list the unknown pandemics.
All insurance firms are bastards.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I'm offering blowjob to anybody who can get me a pack of mince and a couple of peppers. Food situation is not good here.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

fridge corn posted:

I can't actually remember the last time we bought toilet roll it must have been months ago but because we shop at Costco and the missus has slight hoarding tendencies we have nearly 200 rolls in the house

Completely normal and not pandemic related in any way

Hehe same. When everything really started kicking off she went to Costco again and picked up a big pack, only to discover when she got hone that she already had a full one still left over in a stash upstairs. Needless to say, we’ll be among the rich when Mad-Max-but-TP-instead-of-water becomes a reality.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

People who hoard the "white gold" in this time of crisis will be shot.

We already had a big stash from Brexit prep. :ohdear:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

I'm offering blowjob to anybody who can get me a pack of mince and a couple of peppers. Food situation is not good here.

A pegging spitroast by you and the duchess, or no dice. :colbert:

[e]: drat, played my hand too soon. Should have haggled my way up. Can't match this offer.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 23, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pesky Splinter posted:

A pegging spitroast by you and the duchess, or no dice. :colbert:

Don't listen to them, I have some quorn mince and half a green pepper and I'm willing to make a deal

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

communism bitch posted:

Our local greengrocers and butchers have plenty of everything still, with the added bonus that you don't have to fight through a hoard to get to everything, is that not an option for you anywhere nearby?

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

OzyMandrill posted:

Re. insurance...
Most business insurance won't cover it anyway. If you have cover for illness based closures/epidemics (which is usually an optional extra you have to choose), they usually list the conditions it covers (measles, etc.). None of them list the unknown pandemics.
All insurance firms are bastards.
I was thinking about this earlier, as without government intervention I can't see how insurance companies would be able to pay out fully to everyone. The premiums are based on risk factors, and a world ending virus which affects the whole world equally isn't based into the calculations of how much capital you need to support claimants. Plus, with the money all invested to get a big enough return to cover the risk, the unprecedented stock market crash would have hit reserves even harder. I'm not even sure if we liquidated them all they'd be enough cash to divide around to cover every single business in the country that's affected by it. It needs to be covered by the government, or it will just collapse.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The shitter of Theseus.
When you get the valuation done by the estate agent, obviously.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

TACD posted:

Gah, I was hoping to get to Waitrose by 10 today but I've a queue of wfh meetings so I'm not going to get there till 11:30 and it's going to be a milk-less wasteland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be better off going later in the day in that case, some stores get deliveries morning and afternoon.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

What does "lockdown" even actually mean? The supermarkets are still open in Italy, right?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Basically stay the gently caress indoors at all times, only leave the house to buy food/pick up medicine, return immediately

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jedit posted:

We already had a big stash from Brexit prep. :ohdear:

Brexit prep has covered my food but I did not think of loo roll. Covid is teaching us valuable life lessons of what to stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh dear me posted:

Brexit prep has covered my food but I did not think of loo roll. Covid is teaching us valuable life lessons of what to stockpile.

Mike Huckabee recommends just wiping your arse with corn cobs