Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

extra stout posted:

Someone told me the riding skill is still locked out from the free status right now, so I'd probably look for that so you can ride around on a pony a bit quicker. I want to say it used to be 90 or 100 points, you could probably earn that by the mid level 20s.

Still the best group buffers, arguably second best tanks, and pretty average DPSers in the end game. Of the 3 classes you mentioned, captain would be the first one to get a raid invite.

Good deal. Figured they were still meh dps but that's been the case forever, except when Helm's Deep came out and the Captain's bigass AOE mounted combat skill was bugged and had a 3-5 second cooldown and their big single target skill was no cooldown (goddamn that ruled).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Good deal. Figured they were still meh dps but that's been the case forever, except when Helm's Deep came out and the Captain's bigass AOE mounted combat skill was bugged and had a 3-5 second cooldown and their big single target skill was no cooldown (goddamn that ruled).

They got a balance pass within the last year or so to increase their dps, not dps machines but questing isn't as painful.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

sassassin posted:

Not really.

The riding skill and mount and extra bag for every character on your account (existing and future) for $10 isn't a good deal?

Hello Sailor posted:

Yeah, I think I bought it years ago, but I'm not entirely certain. If I did, I bought it through the in-game store and it only applies to existing characters.

I created another new character after applying the code and they got the mount and extra bag stuff too, so it is apparently not just for existing characters.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

I haven't seriously played for 13 months, so I'm out of the loop. Please tell me that Guardians are in their rightful place as the #1 tanking class and not Wardens.

Guardians are still generally the best tanks, the thing that makes captains so insane (depending on your playstyle and gear) is they're raid-able tanks that also DPS, buff the group, and tonight I saw two with over 500k morale unbuffed. 600k buffed.

I'd say Wardens are easily down to 3rd on the tanking order, they still fit some niches well but they no longer dominate any playstyle beyond maybe competing for best solo class, which I'd still rather play a beorning.

Completed the spider raid t1 farm (first boss and all three side bosses, not a full raid) on my champion and even on my beorning who just hit 130 an hour before. The first group had four captains, so I'd say they're gonna be good for a long time. RKs out DPS hunters now but are harder to learn and a good hunter is preferable to an undergeared power leveled RK in my book still. But the insanely high DPS and the DNF (do not fall) skill will always have 3 RKs or more per raid.

This only applies to maybe a dozen goons but anyone who is 100+ and considering dabbling with the end game between now and Gundabad, save any teal mathom armors you get from hobbit presents for level 130. And keep any night touched? furs, cracked lances and other ilvl 121 task items you find in Minas Morgul to turn in for exp and rep.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 23, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

greasythepirate posted:

The riding skill and mount and extra bag for every character on your account (existing and future) for $10 isn't a good deal?

No, not even close. Mounts aren't rare, the riding skill can be earned just by playing the game, and extra bags are pretty far down the list of worthwhile investments.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

extra stout posted:

Completed the spider raid t1 farm (first boss and all three side bosses, not a full raid) on my champion and even on my beorning who just hit 130 an hour before. The first group had four captains, so I'd say they're gonna be good for a long time. RKs out DPS hunters now but are harder to learn and a good hunter is preferable to an undergeared power leveled RK in my book still. But the insanely high DPS and the DNF (do not fall) skill will always have 3 RKs or more per raid.

Is Fire spec still used by RKs in raid situations? Reading the official forums (which, granted, is what it is) make it sound like Lightning is everything now, and Lightning spec's rotation is far and away the most basic gameplay I've seen in LOTRO or any MMO since EQ1.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So has this game implemented a collections system for mounts and poo poo yet? Cause the idea that I have to buy horses on 3-4 different characters sucks rear end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A lot of bundles (and expansion packs) give their mounts to every character on the account, so you'd never actually have to buy a horse. Though I do recall the last time I played I logged in to a new character and had like, multiple bags full of poo poo to apply to the character (including mounts) because of those past purchases.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Ach. I've bought a ton of mounts across a shitload of characters and don't relish the idea of not having access to them if I wanted to start another. Seriously, Bioware (and Star Wars: The Old Republic) could do it, why can't Standing Stone?

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Sorry if this is answered somewhere but I can't find any info: is the Legendary server moving along? Have the increased the caps, and are they going to start new ones?

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

The legendary servers are dead.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Verbose posted:

Sorry if this is answered somewhere but I can't find any info: is the Legendary server moving along? Have the increased the caps, and are they going to start new ones?

sgbyou posted:

The legendary servers are dead.

Actual answer: Legendary servers are up to the first Rohan expansion, aren't as popular as when they launched so there won't be any new ones any time soon. Almost everyone who posts in this thread plays on Landroval because new content is better than old content and the server pops are about the same.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Lum_ posted:

Actual answer: Legendary servers are up to the first Rohan expansion, aren't as popular as when they launched so there won't be any new ones any time soon. Almost everyone who posts in this thread plays on Landroval because new content is better than old content and the server pops are about the same.
Thats good to hear (Rohan was hot garbage). For some reason I installed this again and im reaching level 100 soon. Maybe I'll reach level cap again this time around.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lum_ posted:

All I really want and would be happy with is a server that just goes up to the Mines of Moria expansion and then stops forever.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
My dream was always to have a level 65 server that included Mirkwood and Enedwaith. I love the Dol Guldor raids, and even though I hate Enedwaith as a zone, I think it's raid cluster was really good. Plus, if max level was 65, that would still make the Moria raids somewhat worth helping out with.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moria had a turtle raid that I love. Beat up that turtle forever.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I just reached level 100. What level do I need to move on from gondor and whats the quickest way to get to the current endgame?

I'm just starting the linhir region in central gondor.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Conskill posted:

Is Fire spec still used by RKs in raid situations? Reading the official forums (which, granted, is what it is) make it sound like Lightning is everything now, and Lightning spec's rotation is far and away the most basic gameplay I've seen in LOTRO or any MMO since EQ1.

Fire had a year of being OP, now lightning DPS is like 130k even in raids because ranged classes have always been spoiled in LoTRO raids and in general, I imagine fire is very viable but the raiders just always go for the biggest numbers because SSG intentionally makes most tiers of new raids overly difficult for even most the small raiding community, this is clearly to buy an extra 6 months before they have to start trying to even plan making a new raid

I said come in! posted:

Some people (rarely me) still solo this raid in 60 seconds when they get bored for a chance at the rare turtle that crawls out of a hole and then goes back down into his little house in your housing yard

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Nektu posted:

I just reached level 100. What level do I need to move on from gondor and whats the quickest way to get to the current endgame?

I'm just starting the linhir region in central gondor.

Just keep doing quests until you get to 107 or so. If you want to skip ahead to Minas Tirith or wherever just do the epic quest parts (don't even really need to do those, but it's interesting, you get to fight the Battle of Pellenor Fields and so forth). You can technically start Mordor at 105 but being a couple of levels ahead of where you're supposed to be at will help immensely (Mordor is a pretty hefty difficulty step up from what you've been seeing). The current content is Minas Morgul which starts at level 120, so that's your eventual target.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Even when Mirkwood came out that fight could still be a rough DPS race for random groups but it was always worth running because first age class relics were amazing and even the weapons were worth using until you had a really well setup lvl 65 second age weapon.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Level 45 (maybe 46 now) and game is fun, moving on to misty/angmar, which should I do first?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TIL that you can hit delete to select a nearby interactable object, such as a forestry node hidden in the tall grass. I've played this game since the Isengard expansion.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

MF_James posted:

Level 45 (maybe 46 now) and game is fun, moving on to misty/angmar, which should I do first?

If you’re already 45, I’d say go for Angmar. I headed there at 42 and still had a whole bunch of quests left to do when I started Eregion and Moria at 48.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MF_James posted:

Run to Eregion and do the Moria intro to get the freebie LIs they give, then Angmar if you want to run through Angmar for story (Eregion's going to be a smoother leveling experience).

You'll never want for XP in Lotro, especially when you hit Moria. The first time I played Lotro I did the Moria intro at 45, leveled in Eregion until 48, and left Moria at level 62 with a lot of quests still unfinished in there. It's been improved over time, but when I started playing around the time Mirkwood came out, the difference in zone and overall game quality between the base game areas and Moria was astronomical.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I caved and decided to play again--work is shuttered till May 4 and since my job requires me to be onsite, I'm a public sector employee collecting a paycheck for doing nothing.

Can someone shoot me an invite to the Nazgun? Name is Elfaraen.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I hopped on with my main in the kin and it looks like two people who can invite have been on in the last two days.

I stopped playing my main, a hunter, in favor of ... starting another hunter. Somehow, a hobbit with a crossbow and axes is much more satisfying to play than an elf with a bow and swords.

I could also use a kin invite for my new hunter: Fleauxdelis. You can boot my old hunter (Ciarna) if we're trying to limit alts in the kin.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Is there a pubbie kin that's fairly active and has goon endorsement?

Edit: on landy, legendary server dead.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
I just tried to invite you all, but I just got an error message...

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Evil Fluffy posted:

Run to Eregion and do the Moria intro to get the freebie LIs they give, then Angmar if you want to run through Angmar for story (Eregion's going to be a smoother leveling experience).

Volume 2 book 1 is what you're referring to with the moria intro?

Also, LIs? Legendary item?

MF_James fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 3, 2020

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

MF_James posted:

Volume 2 book 1 is what you're referring to with the moria intro?

Also, LIs? Legendary item?

Real Tolkien nerds do Volume 2: Prelude with Elrond* first. :colbert:

*Turns out it's race based: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Vol._II._Prologue_Quests

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 3, 2020

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

Real Tolkien nerds do Volume 2: Prelude with Elrond* first. :colbert:

*Turns out it's race based: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Vol._II._Prologue_Quests

Really you should do the whole reforging of Narsil quest line as well.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Nektu posted:

I just tried to invite you all, but I just got an error message...

Pretty sure we have to be online at the same time, unfortunately. I'm always a little weirded out by MMO devs that can't imagine a scenario where it might be difficult for inviter and invitee to be on at the same time and either can't or won't do anything to remedy that.

Anyway, I'll be on again on Fleauxdelis here in a bit. Need to use my crafting alts to clear some space in the bank first.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Pretty sure we have to be online at the same time, unfortunately. I'm always a little weirded out by MMO devs that can't imagine a scenario where it might be difficult for inviter and invitee to be on at the same time and either can't or won't do anything to remedy that.

Anyway, I'll be on again on Fleauxdelis here in a bit. Need to use my crafting alts to clear some space in the bank first.

It's the same invite system they had at launch isn't it? You're looking at code that was probably written in 2006, maybe 2007 depending on how late the system was added to the game. Unless DDO uses the same one, then it's probably from 2005-2006.

And that's being generous. IIRC Lotro's development started in 2001-2002.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Quite a bit of it was inherited from Asheron's Call 2, which started development around 2001. Lotro itself started development around 2003. Honestly, given how old everything is and probably held together by duct tape and wire, I'm impressed SSG was able to get a 64-bit client out.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 4, 2020

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's the same invite system they had at launch isn't it? You're looking at code that was probably written in 2006, maybe 2007 depending on how late the system was added to the game. Unless DDO uses the same one, then it's probably from 2005-2006.

Are you saying that developers in the year 2000 shouldn't have been expected to understand that players might not be connected to their game 24/7?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The game was going to be a sure fire hit, no way would anyone would not want to play it!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

In retrospect, I do wish I'd had the spare cash and inclination to shell out $300 for the lifetime sub. I don't think I've spent anywhere close to that much in the store and I only go on playing binges 2-3 times a year, but I wouldn't mind using the shitloads of "free" points to throw stat tomes and whatever else at my characters.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Hello Sailor posted:

In retrospect, I do wish I'd had the spare cash and inclination to shell out $300 for the lifetime sub. I don't think I've spent anywhere close to that much in the store and I only go on playing binges 2-3 times a year, but I wouldn't mind using the shitloads of "free" points to throw stat tomes and whatever else at my characters.

I was in the beta in college but didn’t have the $199 to shell out for the founder lifetime sub and I’ve kicked myself several times for it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I got the lifer sub way back when and I enjoy having it as a game I can always come back to without much issue and all. I don't know the exact math but considering way back when was, like, launch I'm pretty positive it was a good investment by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Hello Sailor posted:

Fleauxdelis is in now.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can someone shoot me an invite to the Nazgun? Name is Elfaraen.
Try chatting up one of the following people when you are online. Maybe you are lucky: Olwiel, Nazgun, Borbrack, Grodhir, Blondii, Esgalad, Browl

All of those can invite and where online in the last 2 days.