Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder what’s going to come out of this looking better.

Trains use many fewer personnel to move the same goods, which has definite advantages at a time like these.

They are less flexible in adapting to changes in where goods are coming from or going to, a clear disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
In the US, Aren't deisel and gas taxes paying for the upkeep of interstate highways? So how do trucks/trucking companies not pay for the upkeep, then?

Local roads I get since those are supposedly funded by local property taxes, but is the deisel/gas tax just not enough to cover the wear large trucks do, or what?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DelphiAegis posted:

In the US, Aren't deisel and gas taxes paying for the upkeep of interstate highways? So how do trucks/trucking companies not pay for the upkeep, then?

Local roads I get since those are supposedly funded by local property taxes, but is the deisel/gas tax just not enough to cover the wear large trucks do, or what?

Bingo.

Road damage goes up with the fourth power of axle weight.

A semi truck may use four times as much fuel as a pickup truck, but if it has eight times the axle weight, it’s doing four thousand times as much damage.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

DelphiAegis posted:

The amount of money they pays is dramatically disproportionate to the amount of wear that they cause, because the taxes are levied per gallon of fuel. A family car pays the same per gallon tax as a truck, and a truck pays the same per gallon tax regardless of whether it's carrying a load of feather pillows or rolled steel.

This is exascerbated by the fact that heavier loads cause much more damage. And by "heavier" I mean "heavier than a family car." Multiple orders of magnitude. From what I recall the last time I read up on this we're talking in the "thousands of times more wear" ballpark, to the point where the damage caused by all the personal vehicles out there is a fraction of the damage caused by shipping.

So the relatively small number of commercial vehicles causing the vast majority of the damage are paying taxes, but they're paying a tiny amount compared to what they're doing to the roads. If road wear was priced appropriately every vehicle would pay a different per-mile tax based on its gross weight, and that tax would go up gently caress near logarithmicly with weight.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Gotcha. Fair point. And capitalism being what it is, the trucker's lobby to keep deisel prices down because otherwise doing so would cut into profits delivery of goods.

So normal poo poo hole American economics. Peachy.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Do EU countries address road wear and tear done by heavy commercial vehicles? I know they use similar trucks and loads to USA, I guess they probably tax those vehicles and companies at a higher rate?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

Nobody wants a Swift truck to stop moving, but they just do it erratically as part of their normal behavior.

Sometimes they spontaneously catch fire too.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Swift truck thought of safety and careened into a ditch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Rad-daddio posted:

Do EU countries address road wear and tear done by heavy commercial vehicles? I know they use similar trucks and loads to USA, I guess they probably tax those vehicles and companies at a higher rate?

In NZ, diesel vehicles pay Road User Charges based on their gross weight instead of a fuel tax.

They also get cheaper if you're spreading that weight over more axles (which causes less damage to the road).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/i3w6AFo.mp4
Should’ve listened to the warnings to stay inside.

Italian mayors are not loving around.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

As a new SWIFT trucking employee, you are responsible for upholding the company image your customers have come to expect!

Delivery ahead of schedule/or on time?

DITCH FOR SAFETY!

SWIFT: Ditch for safety

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LifeSunDeath posted:

As a new SWIFT trucking employee, you are responsible for upholding the company image your customers have come to expect!

Delivery ahead of schedule/or on time?

DITCH FOR SAFETY!

SWIFT: Ditch for safety

Swift Truck Veterans for Truth

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Swift Truck Veterans for Truth

:golfclap:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I've been to the SWIFT HQ multiple times. It is about as bleak as you could imagine. Plus, they still use green screens for scheduling, among other things.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

In NZ, diesel vehicles pay Road User Charges based on their gross weight instead of a fuel tax.

The US also has such a tax.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformation/hvut/mod1/whatishvut.cfm

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

quote:

Gross Taxable Weight Heavy Vehicle Use Tax Rates
Below 55,000 lbs No tax
55,000-75,000 lbs $100 plus $22 per 1,000 pounds over 55,000 lbs
For over 75,000-pound vehicles, the maximum HVUT is $550 per year.
Yup, that covers it. :lol:

NZ is by 1,000km traveled, and is MUCH more money.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/ruc-rates-and-transaction-fees/#RUC-rates-for-distance-licences-powered

A "standard" US Semi truck/trailer would be:
One Type 6 (Powered vehicles with three axles), more than 18 tonnes: $412/1000km
One Type 29 (Unpowered vehicles with two twin-tyred, or single large-tyred close axles), more than 10 tonnes: $132/1000km

Or more likely, it would fall into the Type H category, which is even more if it's overweight.

The US has very-much provided incentives to the trucking companies. I'm sure some of it is due to high labor participation and strong union presence.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Even the USCSB is putting out remasters now.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How many people actually know (or care) about the economics of road damage though?

Trucks are subject to the same NIMBYism that affects just about every other part of our infrastructure. Vanishingly few people are against the idea and the benefits of road based goods transport, but a huge segment of the population are dead against the downsides, some very reasonably concerned about potential safety issues but also a whole lot of "I don't want these big vehicles driving past MY house" and "bloody truckers slowing down MY journey". I do think it's useful to remind people of the importance of logistics, though truckers do tend to get a bit overly evangelical about the whole thing (not that the rail/air/marine transport industries are often asked to justify their existence to the public).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Deformed Church posted:

How many people actually know (or care) about the economics of road damage though?

Trucks are subject to the same NIMBYism that affects just about every other part of our infrastructure. Vanishingly few people are against the idea and the benefits of road based goods transport, but a huge segment of the population are dead against the downsides, some very reasonably concerned about potential safety issues but also a whole lot of "I don't want these big vehicles driving past MY house" and "bloody truckers slowing down MY journey". I do think it's useful to remind people of the importance of logistics, though truckers do tend to get a bit overly evangelical about the whole thing (not that the rail/air/marine transport industries are often asked to justify their existence to the public).

I'm not against trucking at all. I just laugh when people say the HVUT covers the added damage. You just need to drive on I-78 around Allentown to know the damage the trucks cause.

Is it justified that the taxpayer is subsidizing the roads? I think so.

Living in America means you have access to the most sophisticated and fast logistics system in the world. I mean, where else could I order some oddball item from my phone for next-day delivery? If I lived in a major city, there's a good chance that it would be same-day if it was a common item. Americans are freaking out now that this system is starting to slow down, but man... we've had an amazingly good run for years. Sure, it's bad for the environment and Amazon is abusive to labor and their suppliers, but those are the costs for the benefit they provide. Is it worth it for you to support that system? That's on the individual to decide, and for the government to legislate.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I got laid off from Central Transport the day after the 82-year old billionaire owner went to prison for ignoring a court order and not fixing the roads leading to the Ambassador Bridge (which he owned) in Dearborn MI.

He bought property / actively blocked competing crossings in the area which resulted in the roads around the bridge getting shredded by the truck traffic.

Fun bonus: When I and the other managers who were laid off applied for unemployment we discovered that a Canadian sister company that the guy owned was cutting duplicate paychecks in our names.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'd be fine going back to waiting a week or two for delivery if what we get out of instant delivery is Amazon.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah I 100% agree. A lot of the other parts of the system suck poo poo but honestly goods transport is an incredible marvel and it's a real shame most people have basically no idea how anything works. I'd love for more of my tax money to go to infrastructure maintenace, it's absolutely up there with education and healthcare as the most important things we should be spending on.

I do think we need to find a way of closing the labour loopholes, eating bezos, redistributing his wealth (maybe into road surfacing), and transferring more of the system to cleaner forms of energy, but I can't deny I love being able to forget someone's birthday is coming up until like 24 hours before.

In content news, it's not a fun picture but I opened my email this morning to find a callout report that boils down to: "the fire alarm has been sounding for about half an hour in the communal part of this building, should we do something?" "is there a fire" "no, I've had a look around and I can't actually see any fire so I guess just an alarm engineer will do" stretched over an hour, and I'm sure I'm going to be a drunk before this working from home thing is over.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I got laid off from Central Transport the day after the 82-year old billionaire owner went to prison for ignoring a court order and not fixing the roads leading to the Ambassador Bridge (which he owned) in Dearborn MI.

He bought property / actively blocked competing crossings in the area which resulted in the roads around the bridge getting shredded by the truck traffic.

Fun bonus: When I and the other managers who were laid off applied for unemployment we discovered that a Canadian sister company that the guy owned was cutting duplicate paychecks in our names.

God Matty Moroun is such a huge piece of poo poo. I hadn't heard about the duplicate paychecks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

we discovered that a Canadian sister company that the guy owned was cutting duplicate paychecks in our names.

So what's the scam here? Some kind of payroll fuckery that benefits the company?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's the scam here? Some kind of payroll fuckery that benefits the company?

Embezzlement most likely. Though payroll and unemployment tax fraud are also a possibility.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Never found out. The lady on the phone with unemployment just went "aha" when I told her I didn't work at that company and moved on. It just sounded like a regular thing until I spoke with a few other laid off managers.

They were notorious for loving with paychecks, you always got a live check- they refused to do direct deposit.

Nth Doctor posted:

God Matty Moroun is such a huge piece of poo poo. I hadn't heard about the duplicate paychecks.

He had a funny way of blowing off steam in meetings- he would halt the meeting and call a random location he owned and lay into whoever answered the phone- you'd pick up and his assistant would say that they're transferring you to Mr. Moroun and a billionaire would come on and instantly start yelling about how much of a useless piece of poo poo you were.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It makes you think about how they became billionaires

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

"Self-made billionaire entrepreneur"

Really any career in trucking just consists of bouncing between employment by different organized crime families.

I guess a lot of jobs are like that but it's just a lot more obvious in this industry.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

DelphiAegis posted:

Gotcha. Fair point. And capitalism being what it is, the trucker's lobby to keep deisel prices down because otherwise doing so would cut into profits delivery of goods.

Also they have been hammered from a wage perspective. After deregulation Truckers saw wages plumet in the 80's and then hammered again during the Great Recession. While most people have seen wage stagnation, their wages have dropped.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

DelphiAegis posted:

Please, it’s “diesel”. :eng101: (actually technically German 101 because Rudolph Diesel was German).

sharkytm posted:

Living in America means you have access to the most sophisticated and fast logistics system in the world. I mean, where else could I order some oddball item from my phone for next-day delivery? If I lived in a major city, there's a good chance that it would be same-day if it was a common item.

Off the top of my head, Canada, Japan, the UK, France, Germany, probably also China, Italy, Russia and more.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 24, 2020

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

drgitlin posted:

Off the top of my head, Canada, Japan, the UK, France, Germany, probably also China, Italy, Russia and more.

I'm not sure you've ever interacted with Canada Post or the Royal Mail if you think this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CrownAndJoke/status/1242186052607062016?s=20

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

the way that trucks really do a number on interstates (which means the industry is effectively subsidized by highway taxes, as they don't pay for the wear they cause),

Cyrano4747 posted:

From what I recall the last time I read up on this we're talking in the "thousands of times more wear" ballpark, to the point where the damage caused by all the personal vehicles out there is a fraction of the damage caused by shipping.

Platystemon posted:

it’s doing four thousand times as much damage.

Depending on specific estimates, it's between 2000 (in Hawaii as determined by the local asphalt paving industry), to 5000;

"Fwa" posted:

It is generally accepted that structural damage of road pavements caused by traffic is mainly a result of the axle loads imposed by trucks. This observation is clearly reflected in the equivalent traffic load computations used by pavement researchers and highway agencies in pavement design and pavement performance analysis (1-4). For example, in terms of the AASHTO equivalent single-axle load (ESAL) (5), one tractor-semitrailer combination is equivalent to about 2.0 ESALs, one bus to about 0.39 ESAL, and one passenger car to only 0.0004 ESAL.

In terms of designing roads (for pavement structural purposes only, not traffic), passenger cars are typically neglected, only vehicles Class 4 and above are considered.

I wrote a big effortpost on this when the state was considering raising gas taxes, but not also raising taxes on diesel. Part of the rationale was specifically because of "poor road condition", but the vast majority of vehicles using gas aren't really doing damage.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The front fell off

https://i.imgur.com/ibosIQM.mp4

xposting from the aeronautics thread in Automotive Insanity

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it supposed to do that?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Is it supposed to do that?

https://i.imgur.com/SmpBHzf.mp4

ed: found a better link

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 24, 2020

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Please, it’s “diesel”. :eng101: (actually technically German 101 because Rudolph Diesel was German).

I'm a terrible phone poster.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Just two thirsty birds, trying to take a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:psyduck: Why couldn't this be a fixed thing? I guess other than to add a cool mil or so to the manufacture price I guess.