Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Hope they've stocked up on Ben & Jerrys, getting fed up of them only having Phish Food.
mods? mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Barry Foster posted:

I can cope fine, since I'm a fucken goon but she can't bear it for more than three or four days at a time

This is my exact situation with my wife, I'm happy doing nerd poo poo for weeks on end, she can't do half a jigsaw without going stir crazy. We're both key workers and need to be on site which helps but it could get strained in our house.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It stays on your record for 6 years.

My relative has CCJs falling out of her ears, lives on benefits and was able to get a mortgage. Meanwhile yours truly, perfect credit record, never missed a payment on a previously held mortgage, the computer says no.
Do not ask me how, I have no idea. She is slim, pretty, blonde and does a good 'quivering lower lip' act. Has got off with a caution for things (fiddling the electric meter for example by drilling a hole in the back and inserting a fine needle just to drag the spinning wheel) that would have me clapped up in irons in the deepest dungeons or breaking rocks in Alcatraz for 20 years.

Ed: and as we already mentioned, they will only be 2 weeks short because presumably they will keep your deposit. There are going to be thousands of these in the future resulting from this crisis. I doubt it will have much impact going forward. BUT I'm not a financial advisor.

Ed2: Another relative had £42k debts and walked away. Lay low for 7 years and they're all written off. No problem at all now getting credit cards etc.

Why yes, all my pretty relatives are crooks.

You are tempting me to say gently caress it and do it, ha.

I've given them one last chance to back down by suggesting that if I am paying for it 'someone in need' could occupy the room in my stead for April, and they would get their rent as normal. Yes, it's a veiled threat (despite that being a depressing reflection of everything), and yes, I know they'll refuse and I know the contract specifically states that I must be the occupier, no-one else, but it's impossible for them to refuse without looking like assholes, so gives me good grounds to appeal any future poo poo that comes of it. I have clearly tried to do everything in my power to be the reasonable person here as far as the paper trail is concerned. I honestly don't know why they're being so stubborn here, it's only a month's rent and they're not needing to pay a mortgage or anything, seems like given the situation it would be so much easier to just say fucksake and let me go.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Just got an email that is asking us to take unpaid leave, any holiday now or reduced working weeks. What fun

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the BBC news ticker is saying Raab is the Designated Survivor. Is this actually a real thing that we do or is some parliament big brain at home on isolation watching Kiefer Sutherland on Netflix and said "hmm now theres an idea"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

kecske posted:

the BBC news ticker is saying Raab is the Designated Survivor. Is this actually a real thing that we do or is some parliament big brain at home on isolation watching Kiefer Sutherland on Netflix and said "hmm now theres an idea"

He's the first Secretary of State so would be the usual cover for the Prime Minister (as Deputy PM isn't a real position).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

kecske posted:

Pretty sure that's only an official term in the states but I guess the principle of having one senior government official set aside to take over should someone blow up some event makes sense.

That they're talking about it with regards corona is sensationalist nonsense that will do nothing but spread more anxiety and panic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/hungary-to-consider-bill-that-would-allow-orban-to-rule-by-decree

Oh good, Orban's using this to go the full Reichstag Fire in Hungary I see

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"Hey everyone I just found out this virus is dangerous and contagious, this is more serious than any of us thought"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

kecske posted:

It's an actual US thing that they've borrowed. I vaguely remember a couple of weeks back that Raab was looking kind of ill in the Commons, maybe he's had it and is now immune? Can't imagine any other reason why they'd select him.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Barry Foster posted:

My partner has broken our isolation a couple of times to go for a walk along the Exe, which is directly outside our flat complex. To get there she only needs to touch the building door handle and the button to get out of the outer gate, and the buttons to get back in, all of which she does with her sleeve or something, which immediately then goes in the wash. When she walks, she'll see maybe two or three other people along our length doing the same thing, and they'll be, like, 200 metres away most of the time (and certainly never close than ten)

I think I already know the answer, but this is probably as close as we get to safety as we can get without absolute, total lockdown, right? I can cope fine, since I'm a fucken goon (haven't left the flat for a week now, and I'm sailing along just fine) but she can't bear it for more than three or four days at a time, despite my gently nudging her to lump it.

Should I nudge harder?
Nah, leaving the apartment to go for a walk occasionally - or even daily - is a good idea as long as you steer clear of others and take precautions around shared surfaces like those buttons. (Antiviral hand sanitiser would be even better than using a sleeve if you have any of that particular liquid gold.) It's technically a non-zero risk, but it's an incredibly low one, and speaking objectively I'd say it's worth it for the boost to your mental health if you'd otherwise be feeling cooped up. The only reason I'm not doing it myself is psychological - if I don't leave at all, then I know that random morning cough isn't the bad roni - and not everyone's brain is broken in that particular way.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

pumpinglemma posted:

Nah, leaving the apartment to go for a walk occasionally - or even daily - is a good idea as long as you steer clear of others and take precautions around shared surfaces like those buttons. (Antiviral hand sanitiser would be even better than using a sleeve if you have any of that particular liquid gold.) It's technically a non-zero risk, but it's an incredibly low one, and speaking objectively I'd say it's worth it for the boost to your mental health if you'd otherwise be feeling cooped up. The only reason I'm not doing it myself is psychological - if I don't leave at all, then I know that random morning cough isn't the bad roni - and not everyone's brain is broken in that particular way.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought and exactly how I feel.

High-five, fellow particular-broke-brainer

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

It is and it isn't. Because the PM has no actual executive power it's not actually required, constitutionally. Basically the executive power in the UK rests with the ministers of state who exercise powers delegated from the Crown. The PM's role is to appoint them (well technically to advise the Queen on which ministers to appoint), which of course gives the PM effectively unlimited power because if any minister says no he can just fire them for someone who says otherwise.

This means that unlike the US we have no need for a formal Designated Survivor to take over the role of President because the PM being unable to exercise power doesn't actually effect the Government's ability to govern in the same way that the President of the US not being available to sign things would stop their government from functioning - ministers and civil servants would still be able to run their departments, and Parliament could still pass laws. Eventually a new PM would be appointed in the normal way but there's no need to hurry.

For example, Continuity of Government plans for the Cold War plan only for replacement of senior civil servants and ministers - the PM would be bundled off to Northwoods or Cobham but there was zero planning on who would replace him in the event of a decapitation attack, although this is also a practical as well constitutional consideration - it was also assumed that long-distance communications would break down to the point where local authorities would have to assume power for their areas.

There *is* the concept of First Secretary of State/Deputy Prime Minister (Raab is the former, a deliberate gently caress-you to Javid/Sunak and Patel whose roles normally out-rank the Foreign Secretary) but neither have any actual constitutional role. Johnson is entitled to appoint someone to take over the non-constitutional roles of PM (which vary from PM to PM and even Cabinet to Cabinet) but if he was incapacitated Raab would have no actual power.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Given that low mood and lack of exercise is proven to be detrimental to the immune system I'd *absolutely* say going outside, with suitable precautions, is safer than getting cabin fever.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

You are tempting me to say gently caress it and do it, ha.

I've given them one last chance to back down by suggesting that if I am paying for it 'someone in need' could occupy the room in my stead for April, and they would get their rent as normal. Yes, it's a veiled threat (despite that being a depressing reflection of everything), and yes, I know they'll refuse and I know the contract specifically states that I must be the occupier, no-one else, but it's impossible for them to refuse without looking like assholes, so gives me good grounds to appeal any future poo poo that comes of it. I have clearly tried to do everything in my power to be the reasonable person here as far as the paper trail is concerned. I honestly don't know why they're being so stubborn here, it's only a month's rent and they're not needing to pay a mortgage or anything, seems like given the situation it would be so much easier to just say fucksake and let me go.

I'd familiarise yourself with Shelter and maybe get in touch with them for advice. A County Court Judgement can be serious poo poo so it's not like missing a phone payment or something, they can send you a letter (somewhere) sending you to court, you don't turn up, they ratchet up costs and send debt collectors after you for hundreds of pounds somewhere in the future (potentially)

I'd e-mail them what you said and/or say you're on a limited income and can pay something like £10 a month (or whatever you can do) - get everything in writing, don't answer the phone to unknown numbers, give a contact address (ideally a place of work or something) and then bounce. I'd get moving sooner rather than later if the government's making noises about lockdowns as might be tricky to move house after today.

If owt comes up in the future you've covered yourself in terms of offering reasonable payment under the circumstances. Of course, don't take legal advice off forum strangers, but a CCJ will get back to you eventually.

e: same advice for debt collectors and other scumbags, unless its in writing it didn't happen, offer a payment plan within your means but try and wriggle out of it first.

justcola fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 23, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

justcola posted:

give a contact address (ideally a place of work or something) and then bounce.
Not a lawyer or anything so I don't know if there's any specific legal issues with it, but if you want to give somebody a mailing address without letting them know where you live or work you can ask the Post Office to hold your mail poste restante.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

pumpinglemma posted:

-- The only reason I'm not doing it myself is psychological - if I don't leave at all, then I know that random morning cough isn't the bad roni - and not everyone's brain is broken in that particular way.

Yep. I was in the clear, then friend came around yesterday to collect her potatoes and now I get to be paranoid for another week.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

justcola posted:

If owt comes up in the future you've covered yourself in terms of offering reasonable payment under the circumstances. Of course, don't take legal advice off forum strangers, but a CCJ will get back to you eventually.

Every place I've ever applied to rent, the credit check people will ask 'have you had a CCJ against you in the last <x> years'. I assume they check that poo poo, so there's that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This means that unlike the US we have no need for a formal Designated Survivor to take over the role of President because the PM being unable to exercise power doesn't actually effect the Government's ability to govern in the same way that the President of the US not being available to sign things would stop their government from functioning - ministers and civil servants would still be able to run their departments, and Parliament could still pass laws. Eventually a new PM would be appointed in the normal way but there's no need to hurry.
The actual head of state is based entirely on Designated Survivors.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Other members of this household have panic bought and filled the shelves.

Meanwhile I just had some amazing potato cakes made from the spare mash from yesterday's roast and an egg that a friend gave us (she rescues battery hens).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

forkboy84 posted:

So is the Jobcentre open?

I got an email last week saying sign ons are cancelled, benefits paid as normal.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

justcola posted:

I'd familiarise yourself with Shelter and maybe get in touch with them for advice. A County Court Judgement can be serious poo poo so it's not like missing a phone payment or something, they can send you a letter (somewhere) sending you to court, you don't turn up, they ratchet up costs and send debt collectors after you for hundreds of pounds somewhere in the future (potentially)

I'd e-mail them what you said and/or say you're on a limited income and can pay something like £10 a month (or whatever you can do) - get everything in writing, don't answer the phone to unknown numbers, give a contact address (ideally a place of work or something) and then bounce. I'd get moving sooner rather than later if the government's making noises about lockdowns as might be tricky to move house after today.

e: same advice for debt collectors and other scumbags, unless its in writing it didn't happen, offer a payment plan within your means but try and wriggle out of it first.

Yeah I'm packed and leaving tomorrow evening. It's all good. I'm torn between 1) saving potential future hassle by paying the drat thing then putting a call out on Twitter offering the room to anyone who needs it for the month, and 2) ducking and running and sod the consequences, not like I'm realistically going to be applying for a mortgage anytime soon.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dead Goon posted:

I got an email last week saying sign ons are cancelled, benefits paid as normal.

It's funny how many apparently "essential hardships" are being shown to be complete loving theatre when it's hurting anyone but the worst off.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

huh, big drop in cases yesterday. 665 confirmed down from 1k. Almost certainly just a statistical outlier but weird.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Am genuinely not sure if I should cancel my rent direct debit.

On one hand, if it all gets worse and I lose my job, I will be glad of the money, on the other if it all gets better I have no doubt the letting agency will use this an an excuse to turf me out of my home / raise my rent, even if I can pay it all back.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I have clearly tried to do everything in my power to be the reasonable person here as far as the paper trail is concerned. I honestly don't know why they're being so stubborn here, it's only a month's rent and they're not needing to pay a mortgage or anything, seems like given the situation it would be so much easier to just say fucksake and let me go.

Well the thing is, you might still have some money and for some reason it's not in their wallet

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I just learned about the existance of the US Senate candy drawer and had to share.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Desk

quote:

The candy desk has been a tradition of the United States Senate since 1968, whereby a senator who sits at a particular desk near a busy entrance keeps a drawer full of candy for members of the body. The current occupant of the candy desk is Pennsylvania Senator Pat Toomey.

In 1965, California's George Murphy joined the Senate, and kept candy in his desk to offer his colleagues, and for himself, though eating is not allowed on the Senate floor. When he left the Senate after a six-year term, other Republican senators maintained the custom. The nascent tradition did not become publicly known until the mid-1980s, when Washington Senator Slade Gorton disclosed it in announcing that he would be sitting at the candy desk.

Senators who have maintained the candy desk tradition include John McCain, Harrison Schmitt, and Rick Santorum, who stocked it with confectionery from his home state of Pennsylvania, including from the Hershey Chocolate Company. After Santorum left the Senate in 2007, the candy desk was maintained by a number of senators for a short time each, before Pennsylvania Senator Toomey began his stay in 2015.

fake edit:

Alex Salmond Not Guilty

- except charge 7 (Not Proven)

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 23, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

huh, big drop in cases yesterday. 665 confirmed down from 1k. Almost certainly just a statistical outlier but weird.

The same thing happened last Sunday as I recall. I think they just do less testing at the weekend.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Why are they suspending it? Surely they should be tightening it?

officially so that doctors, nurses, etc can get to work without having to use the tube

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

In 1965, California's George Murphy joined the Senate, and kept candy in his desk to offer his colleagues, and for himself, though eating is not allowed on the Senate floor.
Other things that are not allowed include insider trading.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Suspending the congestion charge when there’s no real lockdown in place is going to lead to an influx of people travelling in from the Home Counties isn’t it

Why? Not much to actually do in London at the mo other than stay inside and work. The Home Counties lot will feel safer at home.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Salmond got acquitted of everything

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1242101797059207168

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

My partner has broken our isolation a couple of times to go for a walk along the Exe, which is directly outside our flat complex.

Waterside? please tell me they've changed the gate combination since I last delivered pizza there in approximately 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

The same thing happened last Sunday as I recall. I think they just do less testing at the weekend.

Well that's fair; i'm given to understand the virus also works monday to friday

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Sainsburys are only opening delivery slots to elderly/vulnerable/disabled customers. You have to call them to say you're in one (or more) of those groups. I have been calling since 8 am and have yet to get through. There's no queuing system so it just keeps disconnecting.

I have also discovered my iPhone call log goes up to 200 recent calls (and it's all Sainsburys).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

CGI Stardust posted:

It's an actual US thing that they've borrowed. I vaguely remember a couple of weeks back that Raab was looking kind of ill in the Commons, maybe he's had it and is now immune? Can't imagine any other reason why they'd select him.

I mean the choice is surely Grayling, it’s the natural progression of a lifetime of failing upwards.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

WATCH JOANNA CHERRY START A WAR

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/jazhur1/status/1242104952211808256

Scottish law is very different, it appears.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
From Graun liveblog:

it's loving everywhere here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bardeh posted:

From Graun liveblog:

it's loving everywhere here

Remember it's the wealthy and well travelled who get it first because they're going to places that have it, having close contact with travellers that have it and sitting in travel terminals with people that have it. That's not going to be reflective of the general population.