Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fivehead posted:

Is there a reason to get the i7 in the 2020 MBA as opposed to the i5? Difference is $150 USD, which seems insane for marginal on paper differences.

AFAIK nobody officially knows yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The top cpu almost never makes sense in a macbook, unless you need that last 5% of performance.

And the air might be even more limited by thermals where the benefit only lasts for seconds

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Looking at the paper specs between the i5 and i7, it really doesn't appear that the i7 will be worth the money given it's rated for the same thermals at a slightly higher clock and some more cache.

I'm assuming i5 16/512 is going to be the way to go for long term use and ease of resale.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Looking at the paper specs between the i5 and i7, it really doesn't appear that the i7 will be worth the money given it's rated for the same thermals at a slightly higher clock and some more cache.

I'm assuming i5 16/512 is going to be the way to go for long term use and ease of resale.

It’s remarkable what a good deal this is. I may bump up to 1tb.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Was still within return period, so I swapped my 2019 MBA 256GB for the 2020 MBA 512GB/i5. Just waiting for it to ship.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

Was still within return period, so I swapped my 2019 MBA 256GB for the 2020 MBA 512GB/i5. Just waiting for it to ship.

Hell ya. Been said a bunch before but Feels good to be able to unequivocally recommend a MacBook Air to ppl again the way we were recommending them back in 2011-2013.

“No, you don’t want the slightly pricier one.....yes I know it says “Pro” and the number is higher but, trust me, the Air is way way faster storage-wise and that’s more important.....no, you really don’t need a built-in DVD drive......Yes, I’m super duper sure.....”

:allears: good times

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Interested to see how the 14 prices out and when it releases. Anticipate being torn between that and the MBA and maybe even the 16 if I want a big screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you not need the power of the 16"? Because if you can get by with the processor on the Air I'd definitely get that. By far the best value Mac.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If the 14 brings a dGPU (it probably won’t) I’m 100% in for one. If not a new air it is!

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Do you not need the power of the 16"? Because if you can get by with the processor on the Air I'd definitely get that. By far the best value Mac.

I definitely don't - would be for screen size only.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cozmosis posted:

I definitely don't - would be for screen size only.

They'd never do it but this is my use case -- not much power but want a big screen to work on. Id buy the hell out of a 15" Air

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

Interested to see how the 14 prices out and when it releases. Anticipate being torn between that and the MBA and maybe even the 16 if I want a big screen.

It used to be that you either needed four cores and you had to get the 15” or you didn’t. But there are a lot more people who benefit from stepping up from two to four cores than to six or eight cores in a notebook.

A lot of people will get the 16” for the real estate, and only the real estate, despite not needing all of the horsepower.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

seems insanely stupid to spend like $800 for three extra inches of screen space but what do i know

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm a very likely buyer of the new Air, I gotta say, even though I was really wating for the 14". I'll give it a couple weeks for the full reviews to hit and the shipping situation to work itself out, but, man, much as I'd like to not have the slight wedge shape and ports on both sides, I don't think I £700 worth of want those things (current 4 port 13" MBP: 4 core i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage, £2199. new MBA: 4 core i5 (tad slower), 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage, £1499). The new Pro will probably work out better when compared at the higher price points where the i7s will really able to work with literally any cooling, but for day-to-day use the Air's gonna have me covered. All that, and it doesn't have the touch bar, which is a feature in and of itself!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

A gGPU in the 14" is a pipe dream, but I'm really hoping for a 6-core option. It's nice to see Apple finally updating the base SSD capacities, although it sucks knowing I dropped $200 to go from 256 GB to 512 GB :sigh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fedule posted:

I'm a very likely buyer of the new Air, I gotta say, even though I was really wating for the 14". I'll give it a couple weeks for the full reviews to hit and the shipping situation to work itself out, but, man, much as I'd like to not have the slight wedge shape and ports on both sides, I don't think I £700 worth of want those things (current 4 port 13" MBP: 4 core i5, 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage, £2199. new MBA: 4 core i5 (tad slower), 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage, £1499). The new Pro will probably work out better when compared at the higher price points where the i7s will really able to work with literally any cooling, but for day-to-day use the Air's gonna have me covered. All that, and it doesn't have the touch bar, which is a feature in and of itself!

Worst case Ontario you put $500 into an eGPU.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Worst case Ontario

indeed

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fedule posted:

The latest Macs have had a plus-one SSD bump over their last-gen counterparts, i.e. 128 to 256, 256 to 512, and I'd expect this to extend to 13" 4TB3 MBP when it becomes the 14" MBP. The 14" MBP should have much better performance with its 28W CPU/GPU, and a beefier cooling solution compared to the Air.

I do wonder if the 13" 2TB3 MBP, and its 15W part will stick around. While I believe the 13" 2TB3 MBP was meant as a de facto Air replacement, having both the 2TB3 and 4TB3 13" MBPs has felt like over-segmentation as for most of the gen, the 4TB3 hasn't been worth the $300 premium.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Godzilla07 posted:

I do wonder if the 13" 2TB3 MBP, and its 15W part will stick around. While I believe the 13" 2TB3 MBP was meant as a de facto Air replacement, having both the 2TB3 and 4TB3 13" MBPs has felt like over-segmentation as for most of the gen, the 4TB3 hasn't been worth the $300 premium.

I think part of it is "Ughh I have to have 4 ports but I don't want a 15"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:) it’s from Trailer Park Boys

I like that one and “get two birds stoned at once”

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Weedle posted:

seems insanely stupid to spend like $800 for three extra inches of screen space but what do i know

I mean this is probably going to be what makes the decision for me but I already have an 11” iPad Pro for portable light use. I briefly had a 15” Surface Laptop and enjoyed the screen real estate or that but missed macOS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

TBH a lot of people would gladly spend $800 for an extra three inches.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLogJJfNFGU

Another video showing 2019 13" Pro vs the 2019 13" Air

Air is actually 25% faster in single-core Geekbench but gets beat by 20% in Geekbench multi-core, and destroyed by 60% in Cinebench as well as video export.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

MarcusSA posted:

TBH a lot of people would gladly spend $800 for an extra three inches.

😏 but also yeah. It's a laptop. You're gonna be using the screen constantly. 3" is a world of difference in productivity for some people

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

101 posted:

😏 but also yeah. It's a laptop. You're gonna be using the screen constantly. 3" is a world of difference in productivity for some people

Yeah it was a huge difference to me. I loathed using my 13” MBP for schoolwork and the 16” feels massively better.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My 2011 15” mbp is good for productivity but just a bit big for portability (same footprint as 2019 16”). My wife’s 12” macbook is amazing portability but too small for good productivity. I’m hoping there is a 14” mbp in the pipe soon.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Fallom posted:

Yeah it was a huge difference to me. I loathed using my 13” MBP for schoolwork and the 16” feels massively better.

I'd rather have a 13" MBA and iPad Pro with Sidecar for less money than a 16" MBP.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just get a BBW (Big Beautiful Widescreen) for your desk.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sidecar is too tiny

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
SO I have an amazon 4 port USB 3.0 hub thats always suited my needs. I use it to plug in two bluetooth receivers for a logitech keyboard, and one for a logitech mouse so I can use my setup. Now the drat thing seemingly randomly stopped working. The port works fine if I plug in the bluetooth recievers separately into the two actual USB ports that are directly on the MacBook, but If I try to plug in the two recievers to the USB hub then plug in the hub into one USB port, the mouse and keyboard work for maybe 30 seconds then stop working. So what the gently caress? Its a 2012 retina MacBook pro.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The logical conclusion from what you describe is that your hub is dying, so try another?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gay Retard posted:

I'd rather have a 13" MBA and iPad Pro with Sidecar for less money than a 16" MBP.

Can't wait for the milled aluminium device that holds the iPad to the side like that one dual-LCD ThinkPad.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

guitartorch posted:

SO I have an amazon 4 port USB 3.0 hub thats always suited my needs. I use it to plug in two bluetooth receivers for a logitech keyboard, and one for a logitech mouse so I can use my setup. Now the drat thing seemingly randomly stopped working. The port works fine if I plug in the bluetooth recievers separately into the two actual USB ports that are directly on the MacBook, but If I try to plug in the two recievers to the USB hub then plug in the hub into one USB port, the mouse and keyboard work for maybe 30 seconds then stop working. So what the gently caress? Its a 2012 retina MacBook pro.

As BobHoward said, might be time to try another USB 3 hub.

You might want to consider Anker USB hubs, they're built solidly and dependable.

Also, why are you using two different BT transceivers? I thought Logitech switched to their Unifying USB transmitters that don't use Bluetooth but their own RF technology that doesn't get interfered with like USB 3 can do to Bluetooth.. so technically you'd only have to use one dongle..

eames
May 9, 2009

Ifixit posted their 2020 MacBook Air teardown with a nice gif that shows that the extra 0,5mm thickness come from the new keyboard.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/36480/theres-something-new-in-the-macbook-air

I don’t want to blame any one person for the last few years of design compromises but at this point I find it hard to ignore the fact that MacBooks (16“ and MBA) are improving steadily since Ive left.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

I don’t want to blame any one person for the last few years of design compromises but at this point I find it hard to ignore the fact that MacBooks (16“ and MBA) are improving steadily since Ive left.
I'm thinking the directives for Mac were basically rebooted towards the end of his tenure, particularly thinking of this Mac Pro discussion thing they held 2017 (and another in 2018). They were about the Mac Pro but with the updates to other Macs since then it just seems like the attitude towards everything Mac was rethought around that time too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember when they had a press release about looking forward to continuing their relationship with Ive and his new design firm? I never believed that was happening and I seriously doubt we'll hear from Ive again. He's going to be busy designing museums or something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eames posted:

I find it hard to ignore the fact that MacBooks (16“ and MBA) are improving steadily since Ive left.

Good of you to take responsibility.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember when they had a press release about looking forward to continuing their relationship with Ive and his new design firm? I never believed that was happening and I seriously doubt we'll hear from Ive again. He's going to be busy designing museums or something.

You can pretty much bet Ive will never be allowed to even go near any more Apple computers.

IMHO he went nutso with power as after Jobs died in 2011, with no one to check him on the practicality of his designs, Ive was able to push turds out like the 2013 Trash Can Pro.

When you look at it, it is such a whiplash from the utilitarian design of the 2010/2012 cheese grater towers.

It really looks like a designer with no cares for technical concerns designed it.

Why does it look like a drum, Jony? Its what Steve wanted since the original Macintosh, a box where everything is built inside, but now it's a tube.. Where's the hard drive? Oh, give it an SSD. Where are we gonna put it? Ohhh, lets put it on the only place we have room, on top of the GPU. But that means we have to tell AMD to put an NVMe slot on top of the GPU! Who gives a poo poo, just go ahead and do it.

IMHO Ive probably rammed these decisions through by playing the 'that's what I know Steve would have wanted' card, and Apple was locked into them right up until the 2019 13-inch rMBPs, by which time MBPs had become the laughingstock of the laptop world on the face of the lovely butterfly keyboard that he was obviously behind.

Anytime MacBook Pros are mentioned there's always gonna be someone who says 'LOL but their keyboards' and its a stigma that is gonna be around for a long time despite the return of the scissors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

You can pretty much bet Ive will never be allowed to even go near any more Apple computers.

IMHO he went nutso with power as after Jobs died in 2011, with no one to check him on the practicality of his designs, Ive was able to push turds out like the 2013 Trash Can Pro.

When you look at it, it is such a whiplash from the utilitarian design of the 2010/2012 cheese grater towers.

It really looks like a designer with no cares for technical concerns designed it.

Why does it look like a drum, Jony? Its what Steve wanted since the original Macintosh, a box where everything is built inside, but now it's a tube.. Where's the hard drive? Oh, give it an SSD. Where are we gonna put it? Ohhh, lets put it on the only place we have room, on top of the GPU. But that means we have to tell AMD to put an NVMe slot on top of the GPU! Who gives a poo poo, just go ahead and do it.

IMHO Ive probably rammed these decisions through by playing the 'that's what I know Steve would have wanted' card, and Apple was locked into them right up until the 2019 13-inch rMBPs, by which time MBPs had become the laughingstock of the laptop world on the face of the lovely butterfly keyboard that he was obviously behind.

Anytime MacBook Pros are mentioned there's always gonna be someone who says 'LOL but their keyboards' and its a stigma that is gonna be around for a long time despite the return of the scissors.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The keyboard is definitely the worst Apple hardware for at least the past 20 years. The puck mouse were poo poo but at least they were easily replaceable.