Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The second bit doesn't, agreed, but it's still a garbage program. The chat log is horrible to read.

Wait, you can pull a chat log out? How? I was looking for that a month or two ago because I needed to explain what had happened in some situation or another to my manager and I wanted to just give her a chat log but couldn't figure out how to pull all of it.

There's also the issue that you can't search by job title, which would be really nice to find who is online from a given team, but we've gotten around that by (finally) setting up chats with the different teams so I can just look at the member list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm in like 25 different "teams" in Teams, and mine is at 475 MB RAM. It's not that bad.

The Teams Defender has logged on

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Executive team has been heaping tons of praise on IT for how all the improvements we've done for the past year and that we effectively made the entire company (a call center) WFH in a weeks time. Executive team has also decided that corona is wrecking our company and can no longer give us our normal raise and bonuses. loving hell.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

George H.W. oval office posted:

Executive team has been heaping tons of praise on IT for how all the improvements we've done for the past year and that we effectively made the entire company (a call center) WFH in a weeks time. Executive team has also decided that corona is wrecking our company and can no longer give us our normal raise and bonuses. loving hell.
That's every company in the world. No one's getting a raise or promotion anywhere. Just keep your head down and be glad you have a job.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wait, you can pull a chat log out? How? I was looking for that a month or two ago because I needed to explain what had happened in some situation or another to my manager and I wanted to just give her a chat log but couldn't figure out how to pull all of it.

There's also the issue that you can't search by job title, which would be really nice to find who is online from a given team, but we've gotten around that by (finally) setting up chats with the different teams so I can just look at the member list.

Don't know about this. I mean the actual message window in a channel.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's every company in the world. No one's getting a raise or promotion anywhere. Just keep your head down and be glad you have a job.

Yea I know I should feel lucky to still have a job and a more than likely secure one at that. Weathering the storm of the company almost putting themselves out of business due to bad actuaries and accounting and pulling out of it in the past two years to finally seeing rewards vanish stings a bit. Ah well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We beat this by 2 weeks at my company. Bonus was paid last pay period, and raises approved. I don't expect squat next year though. The company I work for will survive this, but it's not going to be pretty at all. I should hold onto my job, but I'm prepared if I lose it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Shock and Awe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Some economists are saying that unemployment could hit 30% next quarter, that's worse than the Great Depression.

Head down, sock away the boat money into savings, and cross fingers.

IF we can get some semblance of a working treatment to minimize how many people need to be hospitalized and IF we can get people to stop going out so we can slow the spread, things can open up sooner as we wait for a vaccine and the damage will be minimized. The good news is, as long as we don't have millions dying in the streets, we should be able to start things back up again later this year. This isn't like a world war that smashes infrastructure. But there are also going to be a lot of people short term that are going to need a ton of help.

It's hard to say how this is going to hit various industries. Like my company is healthcare adjacent and a lot of what's going on will keep us busy for awhile, but, since we're in healthcare it's hard to say if demand for some of our other services will be cut back due to reallocation of budgets. It's a crap shoot.

The automotive and airline industry is dead and there are going to be long lasting repercussions there. I know GM is going to start manufacturing ventilators, but I doubt that's going to be enough to keep the whole workforce busy. What we really need right now is the fast tracking of big infrastructure and public works projects to hit later this year to put swaths of people to work, but were too concerned about propping up stock prices at the moment.

All that said, there's every indication that the guy with chronic mouth diarrhea is going countermand closure orders to 'get things back to normal' since the current state hurts re-election chances. So, the millions dying in the streets is starting to look like the more likely outcome.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

the guy with chronic mouth diarrhea

Dude I'm right here

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hipchat did a good job with chat history because they kept a local cache on disk, and some of the third party slack clients seem OK for scrollback.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone go a suggestion for electronic signatures for a small (4 people) financial planning office? DocuSign seems over kill. I think you can do it in Acrobat?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Acrobat has two ways of signing. There is an actual signature workflow service that competes with DocuSign called Adobe Sign.

There is also a tool in all versions of Acrobat (even reader) that lets you save and stamp a signature on a pdf.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stevewm posted:

Working from home for a few days....

Since we have a VoIP system at the corp office now decided to try out a few softphones, wasn't really impressed with any of them. Then I found this nifty little one called tSIP...

Has this great feature that lets you have a customizable panel of programmable buttons. So I was able to setup BLFs for some extensions at the office, parking lots, etc... Really nifty.

Yeah it looks straight out of 1995, but its simple and works great.

Bria Enterprise is good because you can have everybody sign in through SSO and it just pulls down their provisioning profile, so you can manage all the setup centrally rather than trying to get provisioning files out to people.

Bonzo posted:

Anyone go a suggestion for electronic signatures for a small (4 people) financial planning office? DocuSign seems over kill. I think you can do it in Acrobat?

I like the look of this since it's priced based on how many documents you send rather than how many people need to work with you, which seems to be how every other service works.

https://www.signable.co.uk/plans/

Also it's cheap because we're going to tank our currency :britain:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 23, 2020

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Sickening posted:

The issue isn't really the interviews. Sure places that haven't had much work from home happening before might find this awkward. I don't really believe that places that desperate need people can't figure out how to make that happen.

The issue is the economy going to poo poo. I haven't met a CEO in my life that would skip a bonus check if that meant laying off less works. Outside of the few businesses where this pandemic made more business for them, everyone else is going to freeze at the very least.

I was expecting a raise and was going to start looking for a new job after August, oh well. Anyone quitting their job now is now insane unless they are already a millionaire with cash and real assets.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 23, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PCjr sidecar posted:

Hipchat did a good job with chat history because they kept a local cache on disk, and some of the third party slack clients seem OK for scrollback.

Wait. There are 3rd party Slack clients? Because I loving hate that Electron pile of poo poo.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DropsySufferer posted:

I was expecting a raise and was going to start looking for a new job after August, oh well. Anyone quitting their job now is now insane unless they are already a millionaire with cash and real assets.

My company has had four people give notice in the past three weeks. One of them at least was before this all hit, maybe two. The other two I'm surprised by, I guess they were in the interview process before everything hit but I'd still be wary accepting an offer from another company at this point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Proteus Jones posted:

Wait. There are 3rd party Slack clients? Because I loving hate that Electron pile of poo poo.
If you want you can go 100% in the other direction: https://github.com/erroneousboat/slack-term

Here's another alternative that apparently also supports Discord: https://cancel.fm/ripcord/

No endorsement of either, I'm lazy and my machines have plenty of RAM so I just run the Electron clients.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Talking to my buddy who took over at the old job...management asked him to put a "few tips together for people working at home, like how to use alt-tab and stuff"

:derp:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

all you guys with your doom and gloom and here am trying to figure out how to coordinate the 4 new hires over the next two weeks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

all you guys with your doom and gloom and here am trying to figure out how to coordinate the 4 new hires over the next two weeks

There is a hospital I know of that is laying off some nurses this week. Maybe the most in demand worker in the world at the moment. Nothing makes sense.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

There is a hospital I know of that is laying off some nurses this week. Maybe the most in demand worker in the world at the moment. Nothing makes sense.

What city? Everything I've heard is going the opposite way. I might get press-ganged out of my cush informatics job back to the ICU.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A month ago I never would have thought being declared essential staff would be such a relief.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Talking to my buddy who took over at the old job...management asked him to put a "few tips together for people working at home, like how to use alt-tab and stuff"

:derp:

I would put lowkey useful tips that may sound like a joke. A goon on here had the great idea of keeping pants/shorts near your desk in case you need to take deliveries for example.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
:neckbeard: YAY we're talking about softphones!
I cannot for the life of me get our stupid loving NEC SP350 working on our PBX and our vendor isn't too keen to help me at the moment, so I'm wondering if I can make a 3rd party one work (probably not).

Thanks Ants posted:

Bria Enterprise is good because you can have everybody sign in through SSO and it just pulls down their provisioning profile, so you can manage all the setup centrally rather than trying to get provisioning files out to people.
I like the look of this since it's priced based on how many documents you send rather than how many people need to work with you, which seems to be how every other service works.
https://www.signable.co.uk/plans/
Also it's cheap because we're going to tank our currency :britain:

How does Bria stack up to say... Vonage? Boss is toying with the idea of deploying a PBX "in the cloud" to forward our on prem calls to. That way people can actually use soft phones to connect to it from anywhere and whoever the flavor of the day is can connect to their department's MLN and play secretary.

I still think it's a dumb idea to replace some very nicely configured IVR's and voicemail boxes with blathering idiots in pajamas and their screaming kids and netflix on in the background.
But hey, boss knows best.

Unrelated, my boss has also made me deploy WebEx, FINALLY set up our NEC Meeting Center conference bridge, an analog conference bridge, create user instructions for Skype for Business (2015) and make sure everyone has it installed on their phones. (Yeah Airwatch took a poo poo and he won't let me put everyone in Samsung Knox KME and o365 MDM yet, so I won't be doing that).
Additionally I'm trying to get this old rear end busted lovely NEC soft-phone that we're not even licensed for working on a PBX that isn't even configured for it.
I also spent like four loving hours today breaking down all the differences between an E3 and E5 license with regards to Skype/Teams/CloudPBX/HostedVoicemail and like a dozen other M$ products that will be deprecated next month. So that was fun.

CAN WE PLEASE JUST loving PICK SOMETHING AND STICK TO IT?

Meanwhile I have a perfectly good Asterisk installation and enough Grandstream phones that I could just send everyone home with one (VPN configured) and do literally whatever the gently caress anyone wants at any time, all the time without any of the aforementioned bullshit. But NOOOOOOOOOOO...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Slack's memory usage scales linearly with the number of workspaces you're signed into in the app, so you also have the option of just signing out of them and checking them in the browser

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
+1 to the "thankful i work in IT" crew. Our business is just going insane with requests right now, there's no way any of us will be out of a job for the forseeable future.

To government: RAISE MY loving TAXES! Seriously, the people privileged enough to be earning an income need to pitch in to save the country.

Though by that notion, also: please do not bailout the airlines. Please. gently caress the airlines.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just spent all day working on a complicated application update via remote control through a webex to a computer that was running an RDP session over a VPN to a Windows host that had SSH connection to the Linux hosts I was updating on.

Note that the Windows server I was RDP'ed into had second RDP session to a Windows 10 desktop that I could use to test the application. The password to this RDP session is 20 characters, extremely complex and I can't copy and paste. It also has a five minute time out on the session.

Oh also did I mention that there was someone on the webex talking to me, watching me work, and recording the entire session.

I've worn my teeth down to nubs and my blood pressure is through the roof.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
That sounds delightfully ghetto.

I'm somewhat glad my first jump is always an RDP connection, so I can use this nifty little feature of my RDP client:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Antigravitas posted:

That sounds delightfully ghetto.

I'm somewhat glad my first jump is always an RDP connection, so I can use this nifty little feature of my RDP client:

What client is this? Any concern about how that password is being stored?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Teams question: Is there any way to use the Presenters Notes function with Teams?

googling suggests not and so it looks like if I want to use notes whilst presenting, my best option would be to print them out on a bit of paper - which seems somewhat backward.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

guppy posted:

What client is this? Any concern about how that password is being stored?

That's Remmina, and none whatsoever because anyone preventing me from using a password manager doesn't care about passwords anyway. It's just a workaround to avoid typing in copypaste-constrained environments.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How does Bria stack up to say... Vonage? Boss is toying with the idea of deploying a PBX "in the cloud" to forward our on prem calls to. That way people can actually use soft phones to connect to it from anywhere and whoever the flavor of the day is can connect to their department's MLN and play secretary.

They're not the same thing, unless I'm missing something. Vonage is an SMB-focused subscription voice service with a proprietary client and a bunch of service-locked phones, Bria Enterprise is a SIP-compatible softphone that you can configure centrally, but it still has to connect to a PBX.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

They're not the same thing, unless I'm missing something. Vonage is an SMB-focused subscription voice service with a proprietary client and a bunch of service-locked phones, Bria Enterprise is a SIP-compatible softphone that you can configure centrally, but it still has to connect to a PBX.

Oh I assumed it was a product of a communications platform such as Vonage rather than a standalone sip softphone client.
I googled Bria and this was the first hit: https://www.counterpath.com/bria-enterprise/

In the play store description it says,

quote:

Bria Enterprise is based on CounterPath’s award-winning Bria softphone clients and is provisioned by a module of the Stretto Platform
also the app I found in the play store is apparently tied to the CounterPath hosted platform?

quote:

IMPORTANT NOTE: This version of Bria is tied to CounterPath's hosted Provisioning Module and requires an account set up by your operator or enterprise. Without an account, the client will not work. Please contact CounterPath or your operator/company for more information.

Is there another app that is just a standalone client or is that it? All the Softphones are tied to the management platform that ties back to your sip provider?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Our SBC/Teams DirectRoute project is greenlit 6 months ahead of schedule. Now I just need to figure out how to fit this in to everything else that's going on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh I assumed it was a product of a communications platform such as Vonage rather than a standalone sip softphone client.
I googled Bria and this was the first hit: https://www.counterpath.com/bria-enterprise/

In the play store description it says,

also the app I found in the play store is apparently tied to the CounterPath hosted platform?

Is there another app that is just a standalone client or is that it? All the Softphones are tied to the management platform that ties back to your sip provider?

All that stuff is correct, but CounterPath aren't a hosted voice company. They just make a softphone application, but it's centrally managed so you don't have to tell people to go to the app store, download an app, enter in configurations etc, you just tell them to download a free app and then log in with their Azure AD credentials, and all the work you did in the background makes it connect back to whatever SIP endpoint you configured. If your PBX is poo poo or your firewall isn't configured properly then it won't help.

It's designed for situations where either your voice platform doesn't have a softphone, the softphone that is available is terrible (for ages the Avaya One-x app on iOS didn't support push notifications, so the phone just wouldn't ring unless the app was active, which is obviously not a limitation that anybody would accept), or the user experience is so different across different platforms that you want to standardise on something to make supporting it easier.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2020

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
O'Reilly is completely shuttering their in-person events division (Velocity, OSCON, Strata, etc.):

https://www.oreilly.com/conferences/from-laura-baldwin.html

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

O'Reilly is completely shuttering their in-person events division (Velocity, OSCON, Strata, etc.):

https://www.oreilly.com/conferences/from-laura-baldwin.html

quote:

we can’t plan for or execute on a business that will be forever changed as a result of this crisis

I can't wait to see what else the new normal has in store for us

Methanar fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 25, 2020

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dumb question that is kind of awkward to test and I don't want to waste a bunch of time.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add multiple O365 accounts, from different domains/tenants, to a single Outlook client? And if so, do you use the From dropdown to send similar to how you would if you had Send-As permissions on another mailbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last I checked outlook only supports one “exchange” account at a time