Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

My Lovely Horse posted:

You might be interested in this short video: https://vimeo.com/399120258
This is extremely good and shows very simply what the basic masks do to help protect others, particularly since normal breathing while infected is also a vector.

And again, to repeat this: You can be a fully active and dangerous virus spreader without knowing it, because it can grow in you without causing any symptoms, for up to 14 days.

To do nothing because you "feel healthy" is ignorant and harmful.

And heck, if you get sick: Even after the symptoms are gone it can hang out in your lungs for up to 3 weeks, still spreading while your body eradicates the last bits of it.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Und ja, selbst Schal bringt was.
sweet I can help fight the disease and I get to go buy milk and eggs done up like a wasteland raider, I'm game for the corona future

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

That reminds me i still haven't played Wasteland 2.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

This is extremely good and shows very simply what the basic masks do to help protect others, particularly since normal breathing while infected is also a vector.

And again, to repeat this: You can be a fully active and dangerous virus spreader without knowing it, because it can grow in you without causing any symptoms, for up to 14 days.

To do nothing because you "feel healthy" is ignorant and harmful.

And heck, if you get sick: Even after the symptoms are gone it can hang out in your lungs for up to 3 weeks, still spreading while your body eradicates the last bits of it.

Genuinely curious if there is some data on whether wearing Einmalmasks has a net positive effect. I can imagine a couple of different mechanisms how they could make the spread worse. You are basically wearing a wet piece of cloth soaked in contaminated fluid and constantly pusting through it. The viruses can survive a very long time in solution and the longer you wear the mask the higher the viral concentration in the mask becomes.

Also, I wouldn't really pay that much attention to what other cultures do. There are all kinds of weird stupid cultural superstitions and traditions around the world. Like Chinese people thinking that drinking cold fluids makes you sick, korean fan death or the famous German obsession with ~Zugluft~.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Genuinely curious if there is some data on whether wearing Einmalmasks has a net positive effect. I can imagine a couple of different mechanisms how they could make the spread worse. You are basically wearing a wet piece of cloth soaked in contaminated fluid and constantly pusting through it. The viruses can survive a very long time in solution and the longer you wear the mask the higher the viral concentration in the mask becomes.
1. don't wear it 24/7
2. you're not breathing through it, but against it, it mainly redirects the airflow in a circle around your mouth instead of a straight line in front of your mouth
3. even if it gets some contamination, the physical blockade keeps it from spreading far from you, which is the intended effect

GABA ghoul posted:

Also, I wouldn't really pay that much attention to what other cultures do. There are all kinds of weird stupid cultural superstitions and traditions around the world. Like Chinese people thinking that drinking cold fluids makes you sick, korean fan death or the famous German obsession with ~Zugluft~.
Hong Kong literally cut short flu season and cratered all other infectious diseases but tell me more about superstitions.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Also please note that the WHO didn't say they don't work. They declined to recommend them because most humans are literally lovely children and would hoard them irrationally or get cocky and neglect the other factors of infection protection.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Smirr posted:

My beer spreadsheet

New thread title imo

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

You gonna see that effect in every country that has instituted social distancing & ausganssperren though. Is there data on how mask wearing specifically affects disease spread?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
beginning to think that Mithaldu owns a mask factory

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

You gonna see that effect in every country that has instituted social distancing & ausganssperren though. Is there data on how mask wearing specifically affects disease spread?
Those measures alone don't explain why hong kong, a hyper dense city of 7 mio people under an incompetent government, has a tenth of the infected of e.g. Norway, a 5 mio country, despite having been exposed for like 1.5 months longer.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

oliwan posted:

Nah, my mother works on trains and while i can't get you fucks to wear masks i can at least call you shitheads for not doing so.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mithaldu posted:

Those measures alone don't explain why hong kong, a hyper dense city of 7 mio people under an incompetent government, has a tenth of the infected of e.g. Norway, a 5 mio country, despite having been exposed for like 1.5 months longer.

Neither does mass wearing of masks, though. There are myriads of different vectors in play here and while undoubtedly useful and effective as shown in the video, saying that the masks alone already would be the game changer seems oversimplified in a scale of an exponentially growing disease affecting a metropolis.

Honestly, I'm happy to get this stuff when the RKI tells me it's necessary or recommended to do so, as I tend to trust their numbers and expertise on how to keep distance and minimize infection, even if it's a general catchall and implies that people are idiots. Meanwhile I follow their recommendation and keep the mask available for those in hospitals or patient care that need it more than me at a Rewe.

oliwan posted:

lol

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Imagine four fingers at the edge of my mouth as I cough. Surgical masks work the same way.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Goons Are Great posted:

keep the mask available for those in hospitals or patient care that need it more than me at a Rewe.
Thanks for making it clear you didn't follow along at all. Guess it is best if y'all do follow the RKI.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I do not think that any medical personnel or hospital patient is equipped with particle masks designated for industrial use. They are not sterilized, not stored sterile and not individually packed.

I mean sure if you literally have nothing else available those will do for medical use in a hospital environment but I don't think that there's a competition between people getting filter masks at the hardware store and medical workers.

I can totally be wrong here of course.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mithaldu posted:

That reminds me i still haven't played Wasteland 2.

Wasteland 3 comes out next month I think, it's looking nice

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Mithaldu posted:

Nah, my mother works on trains and while i can't get you fucks to wear masks i can at least call you shitheads for not doing so.

I don't doubt that even normal surgical masks help somewhat, but the reality is there's just none available. I wouldn't mind wearing a mask if I had one, but I definitely won't buy some from some shady eBay listings that likely stole them from their local Kinderkrebsstation.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Yeah, in a world where everyone could get masks freely or at least without influencing the amount available for healthcare workers of any kind, I'd enjoy stocking up on some. But if the healthcare stories thread on these very forums are any indication then they have as much trouble getting enough masks, at least that is the impression I got from it. At least the scarf idea would be easier for regular people to accomplish, though it's gonna suck when the weather heats up

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Mithaldu posted:

Thanks for making it clear you didn't follow along at all. Guess it is best if y'all do follow the RKI.

Fair enough. :shrug:
I am happy to come around and change my mind about this if the official response changes, until then I guess I'm just the kind of sheep the recommendations were made for.

For what it's worth, I think it is very good that you and people in general care and it's good to make people aware of their personal hygiene and potential dangers they might present for others from any point of view. It's better to have these kinds of discussion than more fundamental ones about whether or not it's okay to have a Grillfest by now.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
At the rate this is going Mithaldu is gonna have a mental breakdown soon

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

bronin posted:

At the rate this is going Mithaldu is gonna have a mental breakdown soon
Nah, resigned myself to watching Beastar and que sera sera.

Goons Are Great posted:

Fair enough. :shrug:
I am happy to come around and change my mind about this if the official response changes, until then I guess I'm just the kind of sheep the recommendations were made for.

For what it's worth, I think it is very good that you and people in general care and it's good to make people aware of their personal hygiene and potential dangers they might present for others from any point of view. It's better to have these kinds of discussion than more fundamental ones about whether or not it's okay to have a Grillfest by now.

Appreciated. And since my earlier comment was a little mean: There's a wide array of face masking possibilities. And without both sides being fully aware of the entire scope, communication is hard.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Man, all this staying inside is getting to me more than I expected. And it's at least two more month of this. I don't know if I can do the time.

I'm gonna be collecting my piss and toe nails in jars by the end of this.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
You are still allowed to go outdoors, though. Or are you under actual quarantine.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
i guess i gotta get some masks now, no way am i gonna walk around with a scarf in my face like someone farted

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Randler posted:

You are still allowed to go outdoors, though. Or are you under actual quarantine.

No amount of intense outsidegoing makes up for being in the same three rooms almost every day for 22+ hours for 3 months. All of this is highly suboptimal

e: well I forgot about the bathroom, so make it 4 rooms. I guess then it's not that bad

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

GABA ghoul posted:

No amount of intense outsidegoing makes up for being in the same three rooms almost every day for 22+ hours for 3 months. All of this is highly suboptimal

e: well I forgot about the bathroom, so make it 4 rooms. I guess then it's not that bad

I put the furniture in different places to make the room look different, helped me a little

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I can really recommend making some spreadsheets. I just selected the rows from Easter to Pentecost in bier.ods, and the fact that it really do be 40 days/rows between the two actually released a bit of dopamine

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ich hoffe Du grenzt deine Bieranschaffungskosten zutreffend über die einzelnen Bierkonsumptionsperioden ab, fellow Spreadsheeter.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, holland just banned everything in which people would be closer than 1.5m till 1 June.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
My tip to keep a sane mind while being holed in. Built a nice orderly conspiracy wall with lot's of red yarn. Keeps the mind organized. What conspiracy? You tell me! :tinfoil:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Friends, the answer is acid and ketamine.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

:guillotine:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Randler posted:

Ich hoffe Du grenzt deine Bieranschaffungskosten zutreffend über die einzelnen Bierkonsumptionsperioden ab, fellow Spreadsheeter.

I don't know what that means, so no. Is this some "wir steigern das Bruttosozialprodukt" thing?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Jetzt wird wieder in die Hände gespuckt" should definitely be #1 in the charts for a while once this has blown over.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

oliwan posted:

So, holland just banned everything in which people would be closer than 1.5m till 1 June.

D&D 3 and its five-foot grid is finally vindicated!

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Goons Are Great posted:

Honestly, I'm happy to get this stuff when the RKI tells me it's necessary or recommended to do so, as I tend to trust their numbers and expertise on how to keep distance and minimize infection, even if it's a general catchall and implies that people are idiots. Meanwhile I follow their recommendation and keep the mask available for those in hospitals or patient care that need it more than me at a Rewe.

The RKI can not possibly recommend masks for everyone at this point whatever the data, because the supply is too limited for medical personnel that has to buy them on the free market for extortion prices. But I would bet that they will suddenly change that position when the first container ships with millions of masks from China start arriving in a couple of months.

edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

Welsh Rarebitch fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 24, 2020

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

They should also consider washable fashion masks in addition to limited-reuse filter masks and single-use surgical masks.

Their efficacy is lesser than surgical masks due to lack of trap components, but they're built and do effectively redirect breath and coughs into a smaller space without constantly having your elbow in front of you.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Okay, I am ready to go to EDEKA, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Smirr posted:

I don't know what that means, so no. Is this some "wir steigern das Bruttosozialprodukt" thing?

it's a Buchhaltung thing, where you pay for stuff you actually use later (or vice versa), which is a problem for spreadsheeters when later means next periode (i.e. next spreadsheet)