Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

quote:

UK citizens are now being ordered to stay in their homes in a bid to stop the spread of coronavirus. He says people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following “very limited purposes”:

Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible

One form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household

Any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home

That’s all – these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

You should not be meeting friends. If your friends ask you to meet, you should say No.

You should not be meeting family members who do not live in your home. You should not be going shopping except for essentials like food and medicine — and you should do this as little as you can. And use food delivery services where you can.

Johnson has added now that the police will be able to take action where people are not complying with the new measures:

If you don’t follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.

To ensure compliance with the government’s instruction to stay at home, we will immediately close all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship.

We will stop all gatherings of more than two people in public – excluding people you live with.

And we’ll stop all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Boris is on TV. UK locked down, everyone to stay home except for commuting if you can’t work from home, food and medicine shopping as seldom as possible and one period of outdoor exercise per day.

Has anyone said "Keep calm and COVID on yet" :smug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

pixaal posted:

this year is already as wash 2021 HAS to be better.

Why would you tempt fate like this?

This is up there with "at least things can't get any worse!"

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Sirotan posted:

The full text says:

Still isn’t clear. You can find it but that doesn’t mean it’s in a form that can hurt someone.

This seems sensationalism without confirming if it’s in a form that you can get sick from.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Intact viruses. Viruses don’t really qualify as dead or alive.

Sorry. Wrong wording. “In a form that it can infect you” then.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Would a blood transfusion with a just recovered person make you immune? Imagine how much the rich would pay for that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Boris is on TV. UK locked down, everyone to stay home except for commuting if you can’t work from home, food and medicine shopping as seldom as possible and one period of outdoor exercise per day.

Week late and a dollar short on this one. The US was slow to shut down the Brits just lol

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

mike12345 posted:

It just hit me - Trump's "covfefe". Maybe he really is a traveller from the future, and the warning got garbled during the transition.

Trumps;gate

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

lmao 2 weeks into the panic buying and the local Kroger still looks like a warzone while the Safeway a mile away is at worst slightly low on frozen vegetables

People are locked into their habits even during a crisis, aren't they?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shaocaholica posted:

Would a blood transfusion with a just recovered person make you immune? Imagine how much the rich would pay for that.

They generally have to filter out the immune system cells from blood transfusions so it doesn't attack you. Look up Graft vs Host disease if you want a bad time

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Serious post: the real reason that the 14% CFR fatality rate is useless during an ongoing outbreak is that recoveries/discharges will always take longer than deaths. It's only a useful number after the epidemic is over.

Really, with how screwy the reporting has been I don't really think any country's self-reported numbers can be trusted. A thorough investigation after this is all over will reveal a LOT i feel like

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

*sighs*

*pulls out the writing prompts notebook*

but yeah honestly if poor, cured people liver spared you from it suddenly a lot of people who were cured would suddenly be disappearing and liver recipes would be the new fancy poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blech. I’ve had this vague, extremely mild sore throat for days on and off now, and can’t figure out if that’s an early sign or not cause there is so much conflicting info online. It’s just really weird and not something I’ve experienced before. It also sounds inline with allergies but I’ve never really had experience with allergies in the past, but we’ve had some really crazy spring weather so it’s possible it’s a pollen reaction...I dunno.

And I’m supposed to go into work tomorrow! Great. And the situation is tricky because my work is handling this horribly. Basically no one is social distancing and it feels totally out of my hands. It’s a complete mess I don’t even want to go. They even told us to stay in the office, together more than we normally would to justify keeping our full time hours.

But if I call in sick for any reason whatsoever We’ve been told that we can’t come back without a negative test, so calling in sick means I’m basically unemployed because it’s hard as hell to even get tested right now. The whole situation is loving garbage.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Glumslinger posted:

They generally have to filter out the immune system from blood transfusions so it doesn't attack you. Look up Graft vs Host disease if you want a bad time

Hmm, maybe there are compatible people?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Still isn’t clear. You can find it but that doesn’t mean it’s in a form that can hurt someone.

This seems sensationalism without confirming if it’s in a form that you can get sick from.

Yeah, if you're doing a simple PCR to detect cov2 RNA, you're likely to amplify fragments at the very least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Week late and a dollar short on this one. The US was slow to shut down the Brits just lol

Yeah... they are not in for a good time.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Gonna be "interesting" seeing how many in the UK follow the rules, and exactly how the police deal with it considering the government has eviscerated them (and everything else) over the last decade.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Serious post: the real reason that the 14% CFR fatality rate is useless during an ongoing outbreak is that recoveries/discharges will always take longer than deaths. It's only a useful number after the epidemic is over.

Really, with how screwy the reporting has been I don't really think any country's self-reported numbers can be trusted. A thorough investigation after this is all over will reveal a LOT i feel like

It's like casualty reports in a war and ten years from now historians will argue over how many died with differences in the millions

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Welp, just got off the phone and I Officially Had The ‘Rona last week. Hopefully now I’m immune!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Welp, just got off the phone and I Officially Had The ‘Rona last week. Hopefully now I’m immune!

Sell your blood! Go get laid.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Adolf Glitter posted:

Gonna be "interesting" seeing how many in the UK follow the rules, and exactly how the police deal with it considering the government has eviscerated them (and everything else) over the last decade.

There aren't enough police to deal with it, simple as. You're gonna get people taking matters into their own hands if anything.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Riatsala posted:

lmao 2 weeks into the panic buying and the local Kroger still looks like a warzone while the Safeway a mile away is at worst slightly low on frozen vegetables

People are locked into their habits even during a crisis, aren't they?

I mean, they is a certain logic to it. You know where things are inside your usual store. Grocery shopping already sucks as it is in these conditions. Now imagine doing in a store with an unfamiliar layout, unfamiliar procedures, and having no idea if any given item is actually out of stock or you just don't know where to find it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gratz.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lujan-Grisham is about to announce a stay at home order

my HR department is going to debate what that means for me at 10PM this evening when my shift (might) start

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I hope history remembers how badly BJ hosed this one up at the beginning stages. Sorry UK goons.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

make them send it to you in writing with the date so you can prance about the village with complete immunity

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The Dutch government just got a bit more serious today. They are going to start fining people 400 European funbux if they see more than three people standing closer than 1.5 meters away from each other. Mayors now have more power to close things. Any public gathering is banned excluding funerals. Salons have to close. Stores than remain open have to set limits on customers inside and provide better safety for their employees.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

congrats

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

my HR department is going to debate what that means for me at 10PM this evening when my shift (might) start

Who?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe go volunteer at your local hospital

Serious talk, you would make an excellent wiper-downer or whatever. Not jizz mopper, but corona-mopper. It's not gross since you're already immune and won't get sick

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

MrQwerty posted:

finally. was worried after Keller's town hall that we wouldn't do this soon enough.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

governor of New Mexico

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

KING OV HELL posted:

I'm guessing it was parents or School staff trying to prevent teachers from offing themselves while their lives are destroyed by this.

Teachers are paid salary, not some daily hourly thing, and in lots of places still teaching, just via online stuff. Which is annoying and all sorts of awkward and weird. But uh... no seriously what are you talking about lol.

Now teaching paras and substitutes? They're hosed by this.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Heath posted:

Ban cruise ships imo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Maybe go volunteer at your local hospital

Serious talk, you would make an excellent wiper-downer or whatever. Not jizz mopper, but corona-mopper. It's not gross since you're already immune and won't get sick

I do volunteer EMS so I have that covered, and the immunity will come in super handy for that.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The Dutch government just got a bit more serious today. They are going to start fining people 400 European funbux if they see more than three people standing closer than 1.5 meters away from each other. Mayors now have more power to close things. Any public gathering is banned excluding funerals. Salons have to close. Stores than remain open have to set limits on customers inside and provide better safety for their employees.

Is there a lack of testing in NL? 10 times as many deaths with roughly the same amount of cases as Austria.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I do volunteer EMS so I have that covered, and the immunity will come in super handy for that.

You should get a Virus Tamer gangtag or something along those lines

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Have you interacted with any patients in the last 2 weeks?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Have you interacted with any patients in the last 2 weeks?

Nope- I had quit back in January and was coming back for this and got sick right before I started so no patient contact at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I really wonder if this thing is more contagious then they are saying even