Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

I know in advance this is a dumb question, but I'm worried and can't find an answer online.

If I drink from a mason jar full of water, and put the lid on it, how long is it good for before it becomes a microbiotic soup. Like will the germs from my mouth make the water undrinkable / make me sick if I drink from it and leave it out at room temp?

Ras Het posted:

A day? Several days?

It actually depends a lot more on how much sunlight it gets. In direct sunlight, maybe a few days depending on how dirty your mouth is/was (:v:). Outside of direct sunlight who knows but probably weeks. Stuff that would grow in there needs sunlight because it's not like you'd be transferring anaerobic microorganisms from your own mouth to the jar.

In general you'd be able to smell and taste when poo poo is off and a little bit of algae never hurt anyone anyway.

Wait--this was clean water when it started, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Well it's a neat thread, but it doesn't seem to be a good place to talk about tarot. Still, thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Well it's a neat thread, but it doesn't seem to be a good place to talk about tarot. Still, thanks.

I’m not sure what “good place to talk about tarot” means, but we have a bad with money thread!

Edit: and a common cons/scams thread.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

StrixNebulosa posted:

Start a thread here in A/T if you want to talk about Tarot! I think the history of it is interesting, and I know people who find it helpful as a tool to inspire introspection, even though I am 100% no way uh uh that doesn’t predict the future and people who think it does are being silly in that thought.

Also, the art is often cool as hell.

I know someone who is a professional Tarot reader and her husband grew up in a religious tradition where that stuff was literally considered satanic, so they can’t tell his family what she does for a living.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Is the Queer Illuminati gang tag from a particular thread? I'm extremely jealous.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Is the Queer Illuminati gang tag from a particular thread? I'm extremely jealous.

It was made during the whole FYAD situation, though wasn't tied to one particular thread.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
When I was in school we used graphing and programmable calculators, but do kids now use their phones? Is there a good programmable/graphing calculator app that's free?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crankit posted:

When I was in school we used graphing and programmable calculators, but do kids now use their phones? Is there a good programmable/graphing calculator app that's free?

At least in the middle/high schools my kids go to they are required to use the same calculators you probably used. Not a lot of advancement on that front.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Kids usually have calculators because they’re not allowed to use phones during an exam.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
College student here. Phones are verboten in all classes. Especially math. TI-84 still rules.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
When I did calculus in college there were even newer models of TI calculators that were explicitly forbidden as they could just automatically solve the things that were being tested. There's one particular model that is the gold standard for a reason; it's a useful tool but if you don't know how to use it properly it's useless to you.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When I did calculus in college there were even newer models of TI calculators that were explicitly forbidden as they could just automatically solve the things that were being tested. There's one particular model that is the gold standard for a reason; it's a useful tool but if you don't know how to use it properly it's useless to you. the manufacturer bribes people to make it them the sole supplier, so they can chage $100 for a $5 piece of electronics

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
TI calculators are basically the same today as when I first used one in the 90s but somehow still cost the exact same.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I didn't even really like graphing calculators. The TI-36X Pro was my workhorse calculator for everything calculus related.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I would like to make a .gif of two photos kind of fading in and out between each other - like a comparison overlay, if I'm making any sense? My laptop is too crap to support Gimp or PS, so web-based or Android phone app would be ideal.

tia!

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 21, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

TI calculators are basically the same today as when I first used one in the 90s but somehow still cost the exact same.

So, comparatively much cheaper given inflation?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I mean yeah but a 100+ dollar calculator you only use for a couple years at most for 99% of high school students is still a pricey tool thats easy to have stolen. And it doesnt help that the books are written to only use the TI button presses so if you wanted to grab one thats had its design updated since 1985 figure it out yourself. Hell even grabbing the upgraded TI one that didnt freeze so often was an issue because a couple of the notations got changed if memory serves

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlbieQuirky posted:

So, comparatively much cheaper given inflation?

Eh not really. Remember that income for a lot of the country has not increased in the last few decades.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eh not really. Remember that income for a lot of the country has not increased in the last few decades.

Real income hasn’t increased, when adjusted for inflation, but number has gone up. A calculator that cost $150 in 1992 would have to cost $276.56 to represent the same percentage of income today.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What's the longest running thread on SA? I assume a lesser active megathread in an obscure subforum?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jeza posted:

What's the longest running thread on SA? I assume a lesser active megathread in an obscure subforum?

It might finally be dying but Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of the oldest, and one of the best.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there a way to search for people quoting you in a specific thread or all threads? There are some real fast moving threads and hard to keep up at times without CTRL-F each unread page.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Jeza posted:

Define "running". Like The Film Dump threads don't go to the archives, but they also typically don't get many posts.
And some threads get a ton of posts for a year or two so maybe they have the most posts, but then die.

I imagine you mean something like "a thread that has gotten a post every week or two and started the furthest back in the past". Then The Legend of the Galactic Heroes thread is definitely a top contender, but maybe has too-long gaps between posts. LoGH only has 123 pages, so the math thread in what is now SAL is probably in the running. It has 713 pages and has been running since Feb 2007.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Seller/buyer feedback thread in the feedback subforum of SA Mart has been around since april of 2002. It averages out to about one page of posts per month.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's not nearly as old as some of the other listed threads, but the Cat thread in YOSPOS is eleven years old and six thousand pages long, because it's just daily shitposts about your cats.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Is there a way to search for people quoting you in a specific thread or all threads? There are some real fast moving threads and hard to keep up at times without CTRL-F each unread page.

You can use the search page and put in threadid:whatever quoting:TraderStav

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How dangerous is inhaling bunch of paper dust?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Leal posted:

You can use the search page and put in threadid:whatever quoting:TraderStav

Terrific, thank you

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

crossposting because I am desperate:

The Sean posted:

Over the past few days my cat has started to constantly lick his arm in the same area and now this has progressed to him being without hair on a few inches of his arm. We're trying to constantly keep him under watch but if he's awake he's trying to lick it. I think this is referred to as a hot spot. We called vets in our area but they're not accepting pets for days. Can anyone please offer some advice? I want to wrap his arm or something but he's too stubborn and smart to keep a wrap on him.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
They make sprays for that, I have no idea how effective they are since I don't have a cat. I dunno if pet stores are open where you are but you can probably get one on Amazon or something. You should probably try to get a cone to stop him from licking it, or else I don't think it's likely to heal that well.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

The Sean posted:

crossposting because I am desperate:

If it's behavioral, calming cat pheremones might help. If it's an allergic response, he'll need medication. If he's broken the skin then it might get infected. A vet really is the best thing, but if you can't get to one, I'd suggest a cone of shame until the hair grows back, and washing the abrasion/wound with antibacterial soap.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thank you, folks. And I'm planning on a vet but just can't for a few days.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
If I have a bunch of listings on ebay (say 120-150), is there a free way to download them for later use?

Say I have to stop selling them for a while and don't want to lose the listings that I have alreday created?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

(Scope this as USA for now) From what I gather from reading the internet, a lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. Will there be mass evictions etc due to people not working/getting paid due to business closures/reducation from COVID? How will this play out / is it? I'm asking because I don't see this in the news headlines, and see mostly speculation in search. I've seen temporary bans, but presumably once those expire, renter orgs/Landlords will expect full backpay.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 24, 2020

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
If the government doesn't forbid evictions then yeah probably. Nobody knows exactly how it's going to play out, best case scenario is that millions are homeless and organize to overthrow the people who caused this poo poo, worst case scenario is that million are homeless and they get gunned down in the streets during the plague riots.

The latter is a lot more likely but hey who knows.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So far evictions are being determined by each state there was talk of mortgages not needing to be paid for several months but no talk about rent (because apartment complexes have mortgages to pay you see)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why do some people put spaces before and after a /? Is it from some programming language or standard for non-English writing?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

What's the context? The answer is probably kerning, ie it makes it easier to read.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dominoes posted:

What's the context? The answer is probably kerning, ie it makes it easier to read.

Like three posts up. It happens all the time on the internet.

I’ve never noticed it published because I guess most editors know it’s incorrect, or it pops a word processor’s grammar check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Anecdotally, what I posted: Whitespace to make it easier to read, but depends on context. Ie without it, you could easily be looking at what your visual brain looks at as a very long single word.