Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tim Whatley posted:

Is the preferred method for Quest to still use Link Cable and the Oculus virtual desktop to boot SteamVR or is there some other app to sideload etc?

Steam VR is an oculus app.

Just got done with 2 hours of alyx. Had to quit due to nausea. I just started to feel a little bit of it at the 2 hour mark, so I'm taking a break for a few hours.

It's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Leal posted:

And the steam thread is already having sour grapes over Alyx being VR only :allears:

All they have to do is use VR for a little bit, with tracked hands, and they'd get it. It isn't really a VR thing in the visuals aspect, it's the control stuff and not-ever-VR'd people never ever get that till they try it out.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

KakerMix posted:

All they have to do is use VR for a little bit, with tracked hands, and they'd get it. It isn't really a VR thing in the visuals aspect, it's the control stuff and not-ever-VR'd people never ever get that till they try it out.

Like I get where they're coming from, I was also a VR detractor but thats because I was there for the virtual boy. And when VR started getting back into traction it was basically a glorified first person view. Then 6DOF starting taking off and it amazed me when I saw people in VR doing stuff like physically looking over objects to find buttons or switches in the world. Picking myself a quest and its bonkers at how much of an experience it is. And really thats what VR is, an experience. People act like its some fancy control scheme but its not just that. Being able to physically reach over and grab a zombie's head while pulling a gun out and shooting the zombie behind it is an incredibly different experience then pushing a button and having a canned animation play. Being able to toss grenades in all kinds of different ways instead of having to turn to aim the center of your screen at a wall then press a button so the same grenade throw happens and bounces the direction you want it to go, instead of pulling a grenade out and reaching over a barrier and dropping it onto whatever was hiding behind it or underhand tossing a grenade to your side while focusing on another direction. Dual wielding and being able to shoot in 2 directions. You can't do that full screen.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I appear to be just a little below minimum specs for but haven't had any issues so far other than animations not entirely matching up to what's being spoken so it's a little like watching a dubbed movie.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
It's so good :gaben:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anyone who thinks VR is pointless should get a half hour of Moss.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Alyx is loaded and ready to go on my computer, but I'm in bed with coronavirus. This is very frustrating.

I had planned to power through the exhaustion to play it at least a little, but I have a pounding headache and uhh, severe digestive issues today. :arghfist:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Tip posted:

Alyx is loaded and ready to go on my computer, but I'm in bed with coronavirus. This is very frustrating.

I had planned to power through the exhaustion to play it at least a little, but I have a pounding headache and uhh, severe digestive issues today. :arghfist:

Friend you're gonna need a chair you can cut a hole in and a bucket. Seated mode is go.

Get well soon friend goon.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A new VR headset, from HP.

quote:

The next generation HP Virtual Reality HMD–developed in collaboration with Valve and Microsoft–delivers an immersive, comfortable and compatible VR experience. It’s the new standard in VR.
Whatever that means. Unfounded speculation: combo WMR inside out with compatibility with Lighthouse?

Tip posted:

Please don't die.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Alyx is great. Valve really nailed the feel of the interactions. Gravity gloves feel extremely natural to use after only a few minutes, and interacting with physics objects feels much more natural than in Boneworks. I feel like they may be doing a little bit of aim assist/"do what I meant" for throwing stuff, where they modify the trajectory to be more in line with where you're looking, because I'm way better at throwing in Alyx than I was in Boneworks or H3VR. I also suspect they may be doing the thing Resident Evil 4 does where they adjust the rate of putting ammo/health pickups in the world based on your performance, to keep you at a tense but comfortable level of supplies at all times, which I appreciate.

It is, however, the first VR game that's made me feel like my 1080 is showing its age. It defaulted to the lowest graphical settings, and even then there are occasional stutters.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thoom posted:

It is, however, the first VR game that's made me feel like my 1080 is showing its age. It defaulted to the lowest graphical settings, and even then there are occasional stutters.

Oh poo poo, I'm on a 1070. I guess we'll see, and if need be, I get to order a Corona Special

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I installed this bad boy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N824KNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 the other day and it runs Alyx flawlessly.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Waiting for this poo poo to unpack :argh: Any consensus on standing vs seated in Alyx? I plan to be in there for a while...

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Bad Munki posted:

Oh poo poo, I'm on a 1070. I guess we'll see, and if need be, I get to order a Corona Special

im on a 1070 as well with a kinda lovely CPU and im running on medium settings without any major issues.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Well this sucks.

This is me pushing the thumbstick all the way forward. It doesn't register as being tilted all the way forward unless I push really hard.

Conversely, me tilting the same stick down and then letting it return to the neutral position. It thinks I have the stick held tilted downward.

Hopefully this doesn't necessarily make Alyx unplayable. I kind of doubt that if I RMA this thing that I'll get it back before the end of the year so I'm gonna just kinda bear it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Thoom posted:

Alyx is great. Valve really nailed the feel of the interactions. Gravity gloves feel extremely natural to use after only a few minutes, and interacting with physics objects feels much more natural than in Boneworks. I feel like they may be doing a little bit of aim assist/"do what I meant" for throwing stuff, where they modify the trajectory to be more in line with where you're looking, because I'm way better at throwing in Alyx than I was in Boneworks or H3VR. I also suspect they may be doing the thing Resident Evil 4 does where they adjust the rate of putting ammo/health pickups in the world based on your performance, to keep you at a tense but comfortable level of supplies at all times, which I appreciate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLotwKpLgk&t=206s

Watch the explosive trajectory lol

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Thoom posted:

Nvidia released new drivers for Alyx today, if you haven't upgraded yet it's probably worth trying.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Can you put in for an advance RMA? That way you can start the process off and only send it in when you get a new one.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I'm glad that they realized that the TouchPad is only useful as a big button. I always just assign it as a third facebutton in games.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

Waiting for this poo poo to unpack :argh: Any consensus on standing vs seated in Alyx? I plan to be in there for a while...

Standing. You're going to be moving around.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Standing. You're going to be moving around.

Not necessarily. I played for an hour 4x4m roomscale and an hour seated on an office chair, the game didn't play all that differently.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Tip posted:

Same. I was feeling a little better this morning but a big plastic box is the last thing I want on my head with this much snot and flem gushing out of it. As bored as I am, I'm in no mood for video games anyway. Reruns of Good Eats has me way more excited over grilled cheese sandwiches and tacos while I ration out what's left in the back of my pantry.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

Not necessarily. I played for an hour 4x4m roomscale and an hour seated on an office chair, the game didn't play all that differently.

Well, yeah, it won't be that different. But I like to get down and look under things and get on tip toe to look over them too.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Well, yeah, it won't be that different. But I like to get down and look under things and get on tip toe to look over them too.

You can still do that, though admittedly range is more limited. A few times I leaned out of the seat to take a closer look at something and toggling crouch lets you get down pretty low.

e: There is absolutely an immersion benefit, just that I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from playing it seated if they wanted or had to. It's just fine.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

treat posted:

Same. I was feeling a little better this morning but a big plastic box is the last thing I want on my head with this much snot and flem gushing out of it. As bored as I am, I'm in no mood for video games anyway. Reruns of Good Eats has me way more excited over grilled cheese sandwiches and tacos while I ration out what's left in the back of my pantry.

Good luck fellow 'rona goon, and thank you to everyone who wished me well.

Health update: it's been an hour since I last destroyed my toilet and my headache is more of a dull throb now. If I stay this good for a little longer I'm probably going to attempt a short seated play session of Alyx.

I'm supposed to review the game on a podcast this Friday so I need to get at least a little in during the next few days.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I prefer smooth turning over snap turning so I turned it off in Alyx but it doesn't actually change anything. Is that setting bugged?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Can someone who has old school Vive wands comment on how the game plays with them? Any issues worth noting?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Possibly really stupid VR question, I just ordered a Index and my wife and I will probably have it set up on my PC which is reasonably beefy (2070 super & 2700x Ryzen which will probably be upgraded to 3700 or 3900x by time index is here), Will it be possible for me to say play a shooter (say apex) on my desktop while someone VR's?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Definitely not. Aside from the performance requirements of VR, I don’t think you can actually logistically do it

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Alyx is legit, holy poo poo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mr.Citrus posted:

Possibly really stupid VR question, I just ordered a Index and my wife and I will probably have it set up on my PC which is reasonably beefy (2070 super & 2700x Ryzen which will probably be upgraded to 3700 or 3900x by time index is here), Will it be possible for me to say play a shooter (say apex) on my desktop while someone VR's?

I am gonna say maybe, I have the 3900x and I play poo poo sometimes with photoshop, a few chrome tabs open, I once played Lone Echo with Guild Wars 2 open as well by accident and could alt tab to that to close it and it was still running fine, the 3900x is a good multi tasker. I dunno how much difference it makes but I have 32gb ram

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thoom posted:

Gtx 1080 mate here, with a small factory OC, it defaulted to High for me. I moved it to ultra because gently caress the police and it works fine (well maaaybe 2 super brief slowdowns in 70 minutes of play).
I have a amd 3700x, maybe that's the difference?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I can't wait to jump in on Alyx, really wish I finished up Doom Eternal beforehand though, I know sure as poo poo I'm not going back to that until I'm done with Alyx.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Anyone have any idea how to not make Steam VR a jittery mess through the Quest? My computer is definitely above the minimum requirements (AMD 3600, 16GB ram, GTX 1080) but Alyx is all jittery when moving around and interacting with the environment. I have turned off the advanced super sampling setting in Steam VR (at least the option that's available in the settings). I don't really know what to check on the Oculus side but I haven't played with any of the settings on it in terms of visual fidelity.

Seems weird since Oculus Rift games run perfectly so I am not sure what I may be overlooking.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 24, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

pootiebigwang posted:

Anyone have any idea how to not make Steam VR a jittery mess through the Quest? My computer is definitely above the minimum requirements (AMD 3600, 16GB ram, GTX 1080) but Alyx is all jittery when moving around and interacting with the environment. I have turned off the advanced super sampling setting in Steam VR. I don't really know what to check on the Oculus side but I haven't played with any of the settings on it in terms of visual fidelity.

Seems weird since Oculus Rift games run perfectly so I am not sure what I may be overlooking.

Does it happen with any other Steam game?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Does it happen with any other Steam game?

It didn't happen with Boneworks before but I have since uninstalled it. It was strange that the first time I ran Alyx it said that I was running low on visual memory? Which shouldn't be the case with a 1080

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Anyone played with the OG Rift yet? I’m a bit worried about the resolution.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

pootiebigwang posted:

It didn't happen with Boneworks before but I have since uninstalled it. It was strange that the first time I ran Alyx it said that I was running low on visual memory? Which shouldn't be the case with a 1080

Have you tried to , you know, reboot Windows? Just in case.

edit: Also, I will repeat myself from the previous page: Be sure you don't supersample in both Oculus and SteamVR, as the effect will be multiplicative. Turn off any supersampling option in SteamVR.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 24, 2020

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Whew, liking Alyx so far. The thumbstick thing doesn't mess it up too horribly since you can do teleporting at the same time.

I did go ahead and open a support ticket inquiring about an RMA for the left controller, though. Hopefully I get a response. We'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Leal posted:

I prefer smooth turning over snap turning so I turned it off in Alyx but it doesn't actually change anything. Is that setting bugged?

Yeah it seems like it. Even snap turning is kind of broken for me, it often forgets absolute orientation. Might be a Virtual Desktop bug though.

SteamVR Advanced Settings has the ability to rotate the player position at an API level and bind it to a stick. That could work better.