Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Come visit 3Hour Tour!

We got apples!
Sunny, north hemisphere
Turnips are only 71 bells though

Dodo Code LYQL6

Please bring me oranges if you can, it's all I want in life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

someone awful. posted:

i got a mohawk hat it's cool as hell

Nice! Can I borrow those sunglasses for my catalog?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

someone awful. posted:

i got a mohawk hat it's cool as hell

You look like Travis Bickle

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:getin:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Nice! Can I borrow those sunglasses for my catalog?

sure! gimme a dodo code, I'll come over and visit (I have PMs if you wanna PM it)

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You look like Travis Bickle

i can see it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Steve Yun posted:

A lot of my friends are playing this in multi person households because of quarantines and saying the one-Island-one-console setup is hell.

It would be infinitely better if you could both travel to a friend's island. I hate that you can't. My wife and I play with our best friends who are also a couple and it's just nuts that we can't really play 3 or 4 player :negative:

I sincerely hope there's an update that changes this.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
My favorite box recipe is the cardboard box table. A 2x2 table made of four cardboard boxes, as though you just put them there individually.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
these nook tickets are a ripoff, I keep getting sent to islands with oranges I already have and tiers I can't access. no cool bugs either. am I doing something wrong or is it RNG

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Tender Bender posted:

When I was googling tree info earlier I read something about how the game won't let you grow trees in a grid like that, the rows need to be offset so the trees aren't perfectly aligned vertically. Your outside borders seem fine so I dunno how accurate that is, but maybe give it a try?

So like
TxTxT
xxxxx
xTxTx

Instead of what you have now which is

TxTxT
xxxxx
TxTxT

Actually, GreenBuckaneer found out yesterday that this is no longer the case, at least for fully grown trees.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just moved a bunch of trees and seems you can do:

TxT
xxx
TxT

and so on. diagonals count as if not being there, so you have to move them back and down or whatever.

I think it's gonna take some more experimenting to genuinely figure out how trees grow in New Horizons.

indigi posted:

these nook tickets are a ripoff, I keep getting sent to islands with oranges I already have and tiers I can't access. no cool bugs either. am I doing something wrong or is it RNG

This has basically been my experience, except I have a ladder. I did find one island with bamboo on it, though, which was pretty neat.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

indigi posted:

Foreign fruit islands are rare. Visiting the other islands are mostly for getting wood/stone resources when you exhaust your island for the day, and meeting new villagers to invite.

Do the spider island stuff linked recently in this thread if you want them to pay the heck out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

whats the requirement for saharah?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Stux posted:

Requirement? I just bought some stuff off her. Is there anything else you can do?

I think she shows up randomly, if that's what you mean. (Although this first week seems heavily scripted, from what I can tell.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Stux posted:

None,

She showed up on day 2 for me

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

someone awful. posted:

sure! gimme a dodo code, I'll come over and visit (I have PMs if you wanna PM it)

i can see it

Sure, once I get out of the wallpaper time hell.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Stux posted:

just off the top of my head try a significant belt of semi-permanent subtropical warm-core high pressure where the air from upper levels of the troposphere tends to sink towards the ground. This steady descending airflow causes a warming and a drying effect in the upper troposphere. The sinking air prevents evaporating water from rising, and therefore prevents adiabatic cooling, which makes cloud formation extremely difficult to nearly impossible.[15]

The permanent dissolution of clouds allows unhindered light and thermal radiation. The stability of the atmosphere above the desert prevents any convective overturning, thus making rainfall virtually non-existent.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

just off the top of my head try a significant belt of semi-permanent subtropical warm-core high pressure where the air from upper levels of the troposphere tends to sink towards the ground. This steady descending airflow causes a warming and a drying effect in the upper troposphere. The sinking air prevents evaporating water from rising, and therefore prevents adiabatic cooling, which makes cloud formation extremely difficult to nearly impossible.[15]

The permanent dissolution of clouds allows unhindered light and thermal radiation. The stability of the atmosphere above the desert prevents any convective overturning, thus making rainfall virtually non-existent.

thank you ziv wikia

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how do you complete the "grow a fruit tree" task

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

So the one part I'm not clear on is 'dump resources on beach'.
Do they mean just to empty your inventory of stuff you don't need, or do you actually need to put something specific on the beach?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

indigi posted:

how do you complete the "grow a fruit tree" task

Plant a piece of fruit, I think?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Plant a piece of fruit, I think?

I'm not getting the option to plant. do I have to dig a hole first or something

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

indigi posted:

Dig a hole, select the fruit from your inventory while facing it (and with your shovel still equipped).

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

indigi posted:

Yes.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

indigi posted:

Yep! Bury it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thank you everyone

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
My girlfriend broke all the rocks on our island and now we have no rocks. Is there a way to get new rocks or are we just a rock free island now?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

My girlfriend broke all the rocks on our island and now we have no rocks. Is there a way to get new rocks or are we just a rock free island now?

i think they respawn at a rate of like, 1 per day or something? so you'll get new ones but it'll take a bit. hope you like island tours

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
AFAIK, you get 3 a day through out your whole island, but I stopped breaking them after finding out you get supplies by smacking them

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

One of my "things" to do in AC has always been to complete the catalog, so I tend to obsessively buy the things sold daily so that they get cataloged. This game is a bit harder since there's a LOT of stuff you can't order through the catalog, so I can't sell/gift it off, but there's also limited storage housing space which makes me anxious - and yes, I know that expands over time with your house. I suppose it's time to just write letters to each villager a day with gifts attached. I gave a wallpaper to Rocket yesterday and got a letter back saying WOW THANKS but no present back, o well.

Completing the catalog while not going crazy actually storing everything is going to be difficult. Well, as much as I normally don't particularly like crafting in games, I like the DIY here, how it marks off if you've made it, all the random-rear end weed recipes I've gotten (actually there's no more weeds right now on my island and I have two new weed recipes!!!!! so maybe time to literally go on a deserted island for weeds). Also ingots are still the bane of my existence, I crafted a really cute-looking sink but that took like 4 ingots. Why!!!

Random tip, the fence recipes you can learn give you ten fencing each when you craft them. Or at least the one I crafted did, maybe it's different per fence.

I honestly want half my villagers to move out, but there's no way that's happening anytime soon, and while I'd like to give them the cold shoulder I just can't, because interacting with villagers is half the fun in this game.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

A few pages ago, but I think today, someone was wanting a masked wrestler/luchadore. I have one in my shop today and I am happy to buy it for you or whatever. No strings.

Edit: oh, PM'ing me would be the best way to get ahold of me.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Figured out a nice trick for mass exchange of furnishings. You can pick up the item and drop it in leaf form and when others gather it they'll get it added to their catalog no matter whose island you're all on. So if you have friends you trust you can just pack up your respective houses and exchange them for a sec, then order each others' items at your leisure.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anyone have blue flowers I can buy ?

Murvin
Jan 7, 2008
Jet-setter and raconteur

Mabel was selling grape hats and matching attire on this island today!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So the one part I'm not clear on is 'dump resources on beach'.
Do they mean just to empty your inventory of stuff you don't need, or do you actually need to put something specific on the beach?

My guess is that they just mean dump all the stuff that's clogging your inventory after doing the other steps on the beach. I plan to try this out tonight so we'll see.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

And More posted:

Actually, GreenBuckaneer found out yesterday that this is no longer the case, at least for fully grown trees.

I think it's gonna take some more experimenting to genuinely figure out how trees grow in New Horizons.

I did a follow up post (I thought) and you can plant them, and they don't wither like in previous games but what would happen was like:

TxTxTxT
xxxxxxx
TxSxSxT
xxxxxxx

where S is sapling. What ended up working better was something like:

TxxTxxT
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
TxxTxxT

or basically 2 spots between each planted tree.

What DOES work, is you can move the fully grown trees into a 1x1 square after they have fully grown, but some of the trees don't grow properly if they're too close together.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harrow posted:

My guess is that they just mean dump all the stuff that's clogging your inventory after doing the other steps on the beach. I plan to try this out tonight so we'll see.
I suspect you're also blocking hermit crab and clam spawn points

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Come visit 3Hour Tour!

We got apples!
Sunny, north hemisphere
Turnips are only 71 bells though

Dodo Code LYQL6

Please bring me oranges if you can, it's all I want in life

I've got some oranges. I will stop by and drop 3 off.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I got turnips at 140

Ima go afk and leave it open if anyone wanna get in on that.

Need peaches if anyone got a few!

code 3XN3L

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How can me and friend send each other letters and get them the same day, but Tom Nook's delivery service takes a whole day. :mad:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Murvin posted:

Mabel was selling grape hats and matching attire on this island today!

Please tell me I can still get in on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Electric Phantasm posted:

How can me and friend send each other letters and get them the same day, but Tom Nook's delivery service takes a whole day. :mad:

with the pelicans gone who can say. only they knew