Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leal posted:

I'll enjoy it on my kickin rad headset for you in the meantime

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll wait for someone to eventually hack it together then play it instead

Frameworks like VRTK have mouse driven controllers in them so devs don't have to go and put on the HMD for each test run. I'd give it the weekend before someone has something put together.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm saying there's no reason for it to be VR only except to push the headsets. It could be playable normally.

You should try VR sometime, real VR either an Oculus, Index or Vive. Once you do that, you'll go "ohhhh that's why its in VR can can't be adopted to flatscreen without losing an absolutely fundamental tenants of the game's design". You simply can not control two hands in completely 3D space without VR. No matter how many mice or keyboards you throw at it, you will never play Alyx as designed.

Whatever hack someone puts out is going to be just that, a hack, that's going to gut the whole point of the game in order to function through very limited controls. You are going to be very dissapointed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just played 2 hours of it. It's VERY good.

It's obviously built solely for VR, I can't imagine it being ported over to a 2d screen and being good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KakerMix posted:

You should try VR sometime, real VR either an Oculus, Index or Vive. Once you do that, you'll go "ohhhh that's why its in VR can can't be adopted to flatscreen without losing an absolutely fundamental tenants of the game's design". You simply can not control two hands in completely 3D space without VR. No matter how many mice or keyboards you throw at it, you will never play Alyx as designed.

Whatever hack someone puts out is going to be just that, a hack, that's going to gut the whole point of the game in order to function through very limited controls. You are going to be very dissapointed.

I've tried it, I didn't find it particularly interesting or compelling in its current state. Or at least, not enough to drop a few hundred on

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rest assured someone will port/hack Alyx to work on a monitor. It will suuuuuuuuuuuck balls, but they'll do it

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any person experience with this game, Seven, which looks a bit like an isometric Dishonored-style game? I have no recollection of adding it my Steam Wishlist, but in browsing that today saw that it's significantly discounted and the gameplay video looked pretty good. Anyone played it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any person experience with this game, Seven, which looks a bit like an isometric Dishonored-style game? I have no recollection of adding it my Steam Wishlist, but in browsing that today saw that it's significantly discounted and the gameplay video looked pretty good. Anyone played it?

It’s not showing as discounted for me. Do you have a coupon for it or something?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s not showing as discounted for me. Do you have a coupon for it or something?

You don't own Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sininu posted:

You don't own Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

It’s in my library, just checked.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Yes. Now that I look closely I see "Loyalty Discount" on the sale price. Showing $6.90 for me.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

It’s in my library, just checked.

Are you logged in in the browser you are looking at Seven?
https://steamcommunity.com/games/shadowtactics/announcements/detail/1705115150213555603

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I’m using the Steam Client. This is baffling. :psyduck:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I’m using the Steam Client. This is baffling. :psyduck:

Hrm. Maybe it's past 26th March wherever you live? The only remaining explanation we have.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RBA Starblade posted:

I've tried it, I didn't find it particularly interesting or compelling in its current state. Or at least, not enough to drop a few hundred on

Then you are never going to enjoy the newest Half-Life game. Whatever hacked together version you will play will disappoint you immensely. If and when that happens just know its because you weren't playing it in VR as it was designed from the beginning.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
VR is fuckin dope. I was skeptical of it until I tried it and now I love it. Half life Alyx is good enough to justify the wait, or at least the first hour and a half is. That's where I'm at now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sininu posted:

Hrm. Maybe it's past 26th March wherever you live? The only remaining explanation we have.

Restarting the client fixed it. Ohhh Steam, will you ever not be a dumpster fire?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you think VR is pointless, find somewhere to play Moss, that game alone convinced my wife the system was totally worth it. What an awesome experience. It'd be okay at best in flat. Getting in there like that makes it so personal in a way that can not be otherwise replicated.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VR is cool in theory but locomotion problems still plague it as well as space concerns

Also I can't play a VR game for more than 30 minutes without having to stop for an hour or two, I get headaches.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Fallom posted:

return to talking about how you don't care anymore that Valve isn't making HL3

imo

don't mouse over this if you care about playing HL Alyx

the ending pretty much confirms that they are making HL3. It retcons Ep. 2 in a huge way

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VR is fun for like an hour every month or so but I don't ever see myself wanting to play anything long form in VR (or spending money on VR equipment)

I get more than enough VR from checking it out every now than at my friend's place

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Terminally Bored posted:

the ending pretty much confirms that they are making HL3. It retcons Ep. 2 in a huge way

I will believe this spoiler when Gabe himself visits my house and gives me a copy of HL3 in person

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought a VR headset for my gaming laptop but didn’t get much use out of it until I got my desktop. Setting it up and taking it apart every time I wanted to use it was too much of a hassle. Now that it just stays set up I’m more willing to pop it on and play a race or two/get my House of the Dying Sun on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Grapplejack posted:

VR is cool in theory but locomotion problems still plague it as well as space concerns

Also I can't play a VR game for more than 30 minutes without having to stop for an hour or two, I get headaches.

I'm gonna keep pimping Moss: it's couch-space, but like, couch-space-plus, where you often find yourself craning about or standing up for a moment to peak at something, but locomotion and available space are non-issues.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll wait for someone to eventually hack it together then play it instead

Haha enjoy a piece of poo poo substitute.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Lots of strong words itt

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think it would be totally possible to enjoy the atmosphere, writing and general vibe of Alyx in non-VR even if the gameplay and immersion suffer greatly. I dunno if that's much better than just watching it but I'll take what I can get

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Haha enjoy a piece of poo poo substitute.

somehow i think the ability to crush aluminum cans won't make or break the experience

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Terminally Bored posted:

I looked at the spoiler and now I'm mad at videogames

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm going to pioneer the Half-Life Alyx 2D Hack, controlled by using one mouse in each hand and WASD pressed by vigorous swings of your dick down on an electronic Simon Says toy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Spoiled myself on the Alyx ending because the likelihood of me getting into VR gaming in the next decade is very low.

Holy poo poo that's a lazy cop out from Ep2's ending

I guess HL3 is going to be in VR as well then

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: Half-Life 3 is Artifact 2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Party Boat posted:

Spoiled myself on the Alyx ending because the likelihood of me getting into VR gaming in the next decade is very low.

Holy poo poo that's a lazy cop out from Ep2's ending

I guess HL3 is going to be in VR as well then
haha, kind of makes sense though

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KakerMix posted:

Then you are never going to enjoy the newest Half-Life game. Whatever hacked together version you will play will disappoint you immensely. If and when that happens just know its because you weren't playing it in VR as it was designed from the beginning.

I'll keep that mind if it ever happens, but I don't think I'll find it worth trying again to see for four hundred dollars either way

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll keep that mind if it ever happens, but I don't think I'll find it worth trying again to see for four hundred dollars either way

getting in a post now before someone goes "vr isn't four hundred dollars anymore! it's actually only 300 dollars! also another 300 dollars for a graphics card that can run it! also if you want the stupid finger articulation that seems to be alyx's unique selling point it's literally one thousand dollars before other hardware BUT YOU CAN PLAY IT WITH A 200 DOLLAR HEADSET TOO"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I can't believe Eli now inhabits Dog's body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQZwboQJYQ

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

noice

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I've been owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I think it would be totally possible to enjoy the atmosphere, writing and general vibe of Alyx in non-VR even if the gameplay and immersion suffer greatly. I dunno if that's much better than just watching it but I'll take what I can get

I think it would be totally impossible. You don't get any sense of scale or place from screenshots or video of Alyx. You wouldn't get anything resembling the same experience of being in a room and just looking around yourself in VR on a monitor. It's not translatable. The immersion and feeling of being somewhere is a huge part of what makes it all gel together for me.