Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IDK, not so much in the immediate term, but in the long term I am suuuuuper duper concerned that things never even get to the point of going back to normal, let alone being the jumping off point to smash capitalism that we're all hoping for. Giving the police even more sweeping stop-and-search powers, taking absolute control over everyone's movements, and NORMALISING that... is pretty scary.

I'd've been a lot less scared if they hadn't waited until it was politically convenient.

Jesus that's a snipe.

197 is the smalled prime number that is the sum of 7 consecutive prime numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
i'm still weirdly optimistic about the long term post-corona world here

it's kinda callous but tory voters decimated, government responsible for one of the greatest peacetime catastrophes in generations in a way they simply can't spin or hide from, the mask has slipped entirely from the entire parasite class, workers know just how little their lives are worth.

I know hope is a lie, but...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's fine, Sports Direct is still going to be open.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Loving the spin that it was actually the fault of the bad public the brave boy boris had to act.

If only they had all been perfect rational actors we wouldn't have needed any governance.

That has to have been from one of Dom Cum's books.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

My kitchen light died tonight. I need to go to B&Q tomorrow to get a new one. gently caress knows if it's going to be open.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

lol if the UKs digital infrastructure crumbles hours into the lockdown

I've been saying this for a while. Once everyone is trying to do online working from home, online lessons, streaming dodgy movies, won't take much for it to crash.
I read netflix are cutting the streaming quality of their movies to help cope.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Those stay in for 12 week emails started going out today I think. And look like this.

Lol that you can opt out

my wife got one as well, and she's an A&E nurse so she's panicking about everythin

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EvilHawk posted:

My kitchen light died tonight. I need to go to B&Q tomorrow to get a new one. gently caress knows if it's going to be open.

Our local DIY store which had announced extra long opening hours just this weekend (presumably on the assumption all these folk suddenly shut in would be doing tons of DIY) just posted a message saying they're closing for the duration. I was wondering, so many injuries need hospital attention are caused by DIYers, unnecessary strain on the NHS.

Maybe you can get a light in a supermarket? Or is it one of those fluorescent tube jobs?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxRBaX8f9oA&t=36s

BORIS!!! DO THE HAND THING

DON'T WORRY IT'LL LOOK NATURAL

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've been saying this for a while. Once everyone is trying to do online working from home, online lessons, streaming dodgy movies, won't take much for it to crash.
I read netflix are cutting the streaming quality of their movies to help cope.

I think Netflix did it because the EU asked, but the ISPs have been insisting it's not necessary. Honestly they cope with every normal weeknight evening just fine and there's no reason this should be that different.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Our local DIY store which had announced extra long opening hours just this weekend (presumably on the assumption all these folk suddenly shut in would be doing tons of DIY) just posted a message saying they're closing for the duration. I was wondering, so many injuries need hospital attention are caused by DIYers, unnecessary strain on the NHS.

Maybe you can get a light in a supermarket? Or is it one of those fluorescent tube jobs?

Yeah it's a fluorescent tube, old style.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

FANK U BORIS

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1242218475889836033

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

EvilHawk posted:

Hardware stores are on the will be open list. You might find all the staff go gently caress that and don’t turn up though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm pretty sure it's WiFi that's caused all this anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Loving the spin that it was actually the fault of the bad public the brave boy boris had to act.

If only they had all been perfect rational actors we wouldn't have needed any governance.

That has to have been from one of Dom Cum's books.

This whole thing has to be intentional - these lockdown measures had to happen, there was no getting around it, and the slide from "everything's cool we're definitely not going to be doing that" to "we're doing that" through a bunch of stages happened in such a tiny window that you can't pass it off as organically responding to an evolving situation

The whole thing's been entirely performative, just so they can put the blame on someone else (and kill a lot of people and put a ton of strain on the NHS by delaying for PR)

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

learnincurve posted:

Hardware stores are on the will be open list. You might find all the staff go gently caress that and don’t turn up though

Yeah I'll give it a go tomorrow on my One Official Trip Outside, if not try and get it off amazon or something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

oh god my co-workers are being macho and saying they're going to go into the office anyway - despite being told by the higher-ups that they shouldn't come in.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

yeah it's gonna be telegraph readers videoing their millennial neighbours through the net curtains

I mean it's something to pass the time I guess

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Not good for the renters:

https://twitter.com/PeteApps/status/1242207086458568705?s=20

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well now I want to be the most outgoing and gregarious person in the country :colbert: fuk u borrs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxRBaX8f9oA&t=36s

BORIS!!! DO THE HAND THING

DON'T WORRY IT'LL LOOK NATURAL

is he putting his hands up for Detroit

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
At least we're not handling this whole thing the worst in the world any more. The US taking spectacular leaps forward on that front the last couple of days.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Full guidance here:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...from_others.pdf

Funerals are only exempt for "immediate family"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I spent the evening on Zoom with all my pub quiz rivals helping get remote quizzing up and running. I am now full of port and regret.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Realistically if you're in a car I don't see why any police or whatever would be stopping you.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just been told I have to go to my completely non essential bank job in a gathering with several hundred people commuting from all over Wales and The West. Should I call the police on these fucks?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I spent the evening on Zoom with all my pub quiz rivals helping get remote quizzing up and running. I am now full of port and regret.

Imma be doing a remote pub quiz later this week so even if it's not the one you set up you are Doing Good Work.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Imma be doing a remote pub quiz later this week so even if it's not the one you set up you are Doing Good Work.

How does that work without everyone just Googling the answer? Obscure riddles/puzzles rather than straight up trivia? Listening very carefully for keyboards rattling?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tortuga posted:

Just been told I have to go to my completely non essential bank job in a gathering with several hundred people commuting from all over Wales and The West. Should I call the police on these fucks?

Won't that be illegal now?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Tortuga posted:

Blame the FCA they've labelled just about every job in financial services as a "key worker" because full adherence to FCA regulations is much more important than some piddly pandemic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
On a semi-related note, there used to be an online Scrabble knockoff (not Words with Friends or anything on Facebook, a standalone website) that I was thinking of using to provoke some family arguments but I can't find it now, does anyone remember it/can anyone suggest something similar?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How does that work without everyone just Googling the answer? Obscure riddles/puzzles rather than straight up trivia? Listening very carefully for keyboards rattling?

gently caress knows I've only signed up for it so far.

AFAICT the one I've signed up for is just a live showing of a person running apub quiz, which you participate in at home, I don't know how it'll work beyond that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Blame the FCA they've labelled just about every job in financial services as a "key worker" because full adherence to FCA regulations is much more important than some piddly pandemic.

Presumably they're the fuckers crowding onto the DLR to Canary Wharf in the morning because all of the actual banks up there bugged out last week.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

On a semi-related note, there used to be an online Scrabble knockoff (not Words with Friends or anything on Facebook, a standalone website) that I was thinking of using to provoke some family arguments but I can't find it now, does anyone remember it/can anyone suggest something similar?

Lexulous?

e: for all those quizzers jonesing for a fix I suggest getting Fleetwit - it's a quiz app with cash prizes and it's entirely possible to actually turn a decent profit if you're good enough (source: me)

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 24, 2020

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Realistically if you're in a car I don't see why any police or whatever would be stopping you.

If you're in a car then technically you're a Traveller and therefore the police are now obliged to stop & arrest you

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Presumably they're the fuckers crowding onto the DLR to Canary Wharf in the morning because all of the actual banks up there bugged out last week.

"Risk management, compliance, audit and other functions necessary to ensure the firm meets its customers’ needs and its obligations under the regulatory system" means that every fucker tasked with meeting completely arbitrary deadlines for filing reports that absolutely no-one ever looks at is somehow a key worker. That's about 30-35% of the staff in those massive bank buildings before you even get on to the rest of the list.

Nothing in the world is more important to regulators than their regulations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

xtothez posted:

If you're in a car then technically you're a Traveller and therefore the police are now obliged to stop & arrest you

Yes but you can just shout "DO YOU HAVE A CLAIM AGAINST ME SIR" because you're travelling not driving

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah pretty much every bank has already switched to WFH (aside from branch staff obvs). The Wharf is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

"Risk management, compliance, audit and other functions necessary to ensure the firm meets its customers’ needs and its obligations under the regulatory system" means that every fucker tasked with meeting completely arbitrary deadlines for filing reports that absolutely no-one ever looks at is somehow a key worker. That's about 30-35% of the staff in those massive bank buildings before you even get on to the rest of the list.

Nothing in the world is more important to regulators than their regulations.

Nah the bank buildings are empty apart from security guards and some computer touchers. It's the first time I ever remember looking out at 8pm and seeing more lights on in the residential blocks than the commercial ones.